The Well #35 - Eo Ut Mortus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Did you finally bone De Bona?
I don't recall such a thing ever happening.

Why did you Recover with Celebi on 20% Band Tyranitar?
I don't recall such a thing ever happening.

What's your favorite Grind Pantera joke about your nationality?
Well, it's a bit of a stretch to call them jokes...

<Grind_Pantera> i know there's a stereotypes of asians being gay, are you that attached to me?

User you like / hate the most on Smogon?
I like many users on Smogon and don't really feel like choosing a favorite. Maybe I'll just respond with your Folgorio to make you jealous...

As for hate, I don't think I can say I really hate anyone (not enough to admit it anyway, lol). I react strongly to individual incidents, so I tend to get upset at people easily but then also forgive and forget easily. If said users happen to be continuously stupid, then I "hate" them for longer.

When did you get in touch with your draconian alter-ego that us humans came to know as Mortimer?
I was compelled to join the PO WCOP (where Team Central is the superteam, if you can believe that) and decided that I needed to play incognito using the most ridiculous username possible. Unfortunately, a billion people alt-checked me and immediately revealed my true identity.

What is your DPP UU record against Meru?
100%. I swear you're thinking of Jabba...I may have lost to him in OU, though.

Being so good in exact sciences why did you decide to major in English?
Even when I was young, I've always wanted to be a writer. I loved reading books, and my dream was (and still is) to write a bestselling novel. More recently, my involvement with C&C/GP helped to reinforce my affinity for English. In comparison, I never really was interested in sciences (and my school's lackluster science program didn't help).

Another thing that probably affected my decision was a desire to break to mold. I think most of my family/friends assumed that I was going to pursue mathematics, and I wanted to defy their expectations. A bit silly, but I liked English anyway, so why not?

what does your username mean+why did you pick it
It was intended to mean "I go to death" in Latin, but people more scholarly than me have pointed out that it's grammatically correct, which makes sense given that I just plugged the phrase into a free Internet translator.

Why did I pick it? Around the time I joined Smogon, I was also playing RuneScape (in my defense, I was 13) and needed an intimidating yet intellectual name for my pure. An incomprehensible Latin phrase was the clear solution. In retrospect, at least it wasn't something like 0wNaG3 Ltu.

Do you indeed not need testicles?
I wouldn't say that; they're nice to have.

why did you stop playing chess?
When I played chess, I participated mainly in St. Louis area tournaments sponsored by a chess league. At the time, I lived one hour away from St. Louis. In sixth grade, I moved to a city three hours away from St. Louis. The nearest tournaments were held in Jefferson City and not nearly as frequently. Also, the chess club at my new school was less dedicated than the one in my previous school. With fewer and fewer opportunities to play at a competitive level, I was unable to continue to improve as I had been, so I just gradually lost interest. While I do live in St. Louis now, given how out of practice I am, combined with my six-year experience gap, I would need to dedicate a lot of time relearning the game to return to my former level of play.

I second this question and:

Does the fact you play chess affect your Pokemon battling style? If so, how?
f i already know the answer......................[/QUOTE]

A user whom I played chess and Pokemon with (xianglongfa) commented that I play offensively in chess but stalled (at the time) in Pokemon. I think that I tend to lean toward a materialistically-favorable playstyle in both, which explains that. I'm not sure I would say how I play Pokemon is a result of how I play chess; rather, both are functions of the way I think.

how do you feel about user: Colonel M's sig quote?

edit: for reference
ballabrown24 is a silly boy who got what he deserved when he was banned for that.

What is the best thing about living in St. Louis? What is the worst thing about living there?
The part of St. Louis I live in (Clayton) is small enough not to be overwhelming but large enough to still offer a variety of things to do. Prior to living in St. Louis, I lived in small farming-based towns, where the activities of choice were limited to getting drunk/high, messing around at Taco Bell, and/or bowling.

I don't really know the worst part of living in St. Louis; I don't have a good standard of comparison, seeing as I much prefer it to the places where I lived before. There's nothing really wrong with St. Louis, but I think that I would be better suited living in a bigger city.

Also, St. Louis is reportedly the most dangerous city in the world, although that's primarily east St. Louis, and I've never really felt unsafe living here.

Who are the top 5 people you fear playing the most in Pokemon tournaments?
MoP, Bloo, Heist, Earthworm, imperfectluck. I have a horrible tournament record against Bloo in particular. I wouldn't say I truly fear anyone, though, especially in BW, where there aren't really any "big names" compared to DPP/ADV.

What is your favorite metagame? What metagame do you think is your best?
DPP UU to both. The first metagame I really got into and a fairly balanced and diverse one at that.

Who do you consider your best friend on Smogon?
I don't think I can name one person, but I'm pretty close to many of the people in/who were in #nowhere. Special mention to those who I first met on the UU ladder (bad ass, folgorio, whistle, Bluewind, franky, uragg to name a few) who I got to know even before the channel existed.

What is your opinion of user Alucard?
I have no problem with user Alucard, although I think his original name was better. SMFH -_-'

Do you visit the St. Louis Zoo often?

We do several times throughout the spring and summer.
I've been there a couple of times when I was young, but I don't visit regularly. I recently went there with a group for a photo scavenger hunt; I'm pretty sure everyone was giving us odd looks because we were literally running around the exhibits.

You said you've always wanted to become a writer, so:

Favorite genre?
Favorite book?
Favorite author?
What made you realize your love for writing?
Have you written anything at all yet, or is writing a novel just an unattempted dream so far?

What is your fave 5th gen tier?

Which character do you play at Melee? Do you still play it, have you played big names, how is your local scene and would you beast me in a 5$ money match?

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
You've played in tournaments on Smogon for quite a while now and have played many battles in the Smogon Tour. Have you built any rivalries with other battlers?

When you first started playing on Smogon did you look up to any users / battlers in particular?

Would you say tournaments are more or less competitive now than when you started? Better players at the top, deeper playerbase, etc.

What do you think about the notion that people have distinct online and offline personas? Do you think this applies to you, if so, how?

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

What are your thoughts about Smogon's tiering policies, past and present?

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
do you enjoy BW OU?

who do you think is the most overrated player?

who do you think is the most underrated player?

do you think you will quit playing pokemon anytime soon?

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
What is your opinion on me, when you first encountered me and now?

Adding to Whistle's question: Where do you envision working after you graduate college? Are you looking to get recruited?

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
What is it about UU that makes it so appealing to you?
Heh, it's hard to pinpoint an exact reason; I just like it. Pokemon-wise, diversity is one of my favorite aspects: UU was generally less centralized than the suspect tests I participated in during the same time. I had the creative freedom to mess around with more random Pokemon and random sets than I would probably have gotten away with in OU. Another reason, this one related more to the ladder than the tier itself, was the community based around the UU ladder. A smaller playerbase meant most of the ladderers knew and were friendly each other. And lastly, I enjoy winning. :)

What is your biggest tournament regret?
Not predicting Snunch to win ST8 due to misinformation propagated by unsavory tournament director Earthworm. This cost me the prediction tournament win and an exclusive Smogon t-shirt.

In all seriousness, I don't really have any; most of my important losses either resulted from hax or were decided by more than just a single factor that could have been easily circumvented. My most upsetting tournament loss was against Delta 2777 for a gen 4 Ubers tournament, in which he came back from the Losers' Bracket to beat me in the finals. But regretting that I used an Arceus-Fighting weak team game 1 and got haxed game 2 seems kind of silly to me.

What is it about my IRC channel that interests you enough to keep it on auto join?
Well, I was originally hoping for more Zen logs, but that didn't happen. Now, I keep it on auto-join mostly so I can call you Kevin G. and pretend you are the character from Mean Girls who shares the same name and be amused by that.

what was your favorite dp uu metagame? did you prefer old uu or new uu?
Old UU was really cool because there were so many cool Pokemon that you could use but aren't really viable anymore (Mantine, Flareon, Vileplume, Poliwrath, Relicanth). It's definitely one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite. During new UU, my favorite metagame was right after Staraptor and co. were all banned.

do you have a particularly favorite dp uu team?
I really liked my old UU team (Froslass/Hitmontop/Clefable/Rotom/Wormadam-S/Mantine). Standard stall core + Leafeon/Glaceon/Ninetales insurance. I just loved being able to successfully use a Pokemon as ridiculous as Wormadam.

you stated that smogon influenced your choice in major? how so?
I didn't really have an outlet for writing until Smogon. My school didn't have a newspaper or anything, and I always had trouble motivating myself to write on my own, outside of classwork and stuff. Participating in C&C/GP gave me writing/copyediting experience I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And had I not gotten that experience, I don't know if I would have been confident enough to pick English as a major.

what do you plan to do with your dual degree in seemingly unrelated fields?
I'm not quite sure yet. All I know is that I have affinities for both programming and writing and would be content working as, well, either a programmer or a writer.

The development of one of my favorite video games, Braid, was based around the concept of the video game as an art form (literature), an application of these two fields. I would be interested in pursuing projects similar to that.

you said that you're sick of missouri, have you thought about where you'd like to live in the future?
I don't know. Somewhere bigger, maybe somewhere out of the country. I haven't traveled/experienced enough to be able to even consider where; all I know is that I have a strong urge to get out of here and see more of the world.

do you remember playing against me like 5+ times in a row at the top of the old uu ladder? addendum: is glaceon not the most majestic of all uu pokmon?
Specs Glaceon, so powerful...atticus also swept me with it about five years later, a very low point in my Pokecareer.

Why did you choose to ridiculize me in the Mock Smogon Awards? ;-;
User iconic is the person you should be asking. I'll answer on his behalf: it's because you make up words like "ridiculize."

If you had the chance to admin someone who would it be?
locopoke.

Best user overall on Smogon?
I really admire aesoft and Antar for their tireless work regarding the Showdown/the Smogon server.

you seem to "playfully" taunt a lot of users on smogon but it's usually just in good fun. are there any users that legitimately anger/displease you?
I was trying to think of a way to vaguely word this so as to not actually call anyone out but I couldn't come up with anything. So I'll just say that I think it's kind of silly how Firestorm comes into #pokemon and randomly devalues the VGC tournament / bashes the Tournament culture in general / criticizes the tiering process. On a completely different note, I also sometimes wonder if GP/aziki/Somalia are real people.

chances of la winning the world cup?
I really just can't see it happening. They're too angry to win...

chances of central winning a game?
The same chance that you'll win a game!

finally what has been your favourite moment on smogon up until now? it could be just a silly night on irc or a specific pkmn battle, anything.
One night, something happened involving a certain private social group and a certain phone number. The following details were released:

<folgorio> [22:03] <Earthworm> [13:00:16] <Earthworm> <censored> is <censored> <censored> him
<folgorio> [22:03] <Earthworm> [13:00:36] <Earthworm> for <censored> his <censored> to <censored> someone's <censored> <censored>
<folgorio> [22:03] <Earthworm> [13:00:40] <Earthworm> and <censored> <censored> to <censored> <censored>

So a group of us spent around four hours trying to figure out all the <censored>s, and we actually did (except worms is anal and we said "obtain" when the actual word was "get")

It was pretty silly all things considering but memorable.

best pkmn players according to champion eo?
I could honestly only do DPP UU because BW is a clusterfuck and I'm not that into DPP OU.

mind, pi face, Loki, LonelyNess*, Jabba, august, ToFu, xianglongfa, imperfectluck, bad ass, panamaxis, Folgorio, Bluewind, franky, FlareBlitz, thund91, am, IronBullet93, uragg, Heist

*before SPL2

I never really liked ranking people though. First of all, I know I'm likely forgetting a bunch of people. Secondly, I think too many biases get in the way to allow for accurate judgments of skill. I was never an avid spectator, so a lot of this is influenced by my actual matches, and people play differently vs. different people so yeah.

I know you were just dying to see your name up there, though, Mr. ToFu.

it's interesting that you say you regret not pursuing chess more -- i regret pursuing it as much as i did. chess has already reached the point where human players can't reasonably beat modern ai, which to me, means the game is just about dead. a game like pokemon is much more difficult for ai to keep up with. how do you feel about the relationship between chess and computers? is the game going to go anywhere from here?

i remember seeing your name on the sign-up list of the last tournament, but i don't believe we played.
That's an interesting view. I suppose the game is dead in a sense. GMs are still beating computers through anti-computer tactics such as out-of-book openings, but I'm guessing with time, computers will eventually become optimized to account for unorthodox plays. I guess that will end the battle between man and machine, but I don't think that will take away from human vs. human play.

I'm guessing if the game does die, it will be due to the evolution of human play to computer-esque levels (and perhaps the evolution of computer play is a symptom of that). I have no idea how realistic this prospect is, though.

also, how did you react to the great sage and the cicada incident (after the initial bewilderment)? i seem to recall you didn't find it as funny as some others did.
I felt like the joke got old pretty quickly, although I don't think I would have probably cared that much now. If my memory is correct, I think I was trying to talk seriously to GS or something, and he kept bringing up Cicada, which annoyed me.

why the fuck did you draft me in spl2
I (and Stallion) thought you were decent based on your ladder matches. And it took a year, but you actually proved us right.

what inspired you to start majoring in CS even though you hadn't planned on it
I was initially planning on minoring in it. I had taken a class on QBasic prior to that and had enjoyed it. During my first year, I took a couple of introductory courses and felt like I really meshed with the subject, so I decided to upgrade it to an actual major.

what word did you spell incorrectly in the spelling bee
Varioliform. I spelled it with an "e" instead of an "a."

c&p bloo's well
He claims he will delete it if posted. I will only reveal that he likes to cook Mediterranean dishes, what a guy.

Who won the tour prediction thing?
Earthworm did. Do you think I actually listen to 50 Cent?

How do you feel about TeamUber?
No opinion really. It's no different from the rest of Smogon; some of its users are cool, and others are kind of lame (yondie).

When did you first discover you comedic writing style?
People I know tell me that I have a knack for coming up with one-liners at the right moments. I just applied that to my writing.

Who do you enjoy fucking with the most on Smogon?
I don't know about fucking around, but I sure enjoy taking care of Bluewind's menagerie of animal friends.

Favorite DPP UU moment?
Probably winning my first tour. In the semifinals, I was embroiled in a bitter stallwar against the mysterious Lady Platina when the server disconnected. We rematched with different teams, and I triumphed over his/her strong Gligar/Cacturne Sand Veil abuse team. Then I beat bad ass in finals because he didn't use HeYsUpKeN.

What was the most frustrating moment of your Pokemon career?
Losing to Folgorio in ST10. Not that he didn't deserve to win; I was just frustrated at losing.

Worst moment on Smogon?
Any arguments that have made me question my involvement in Smogon.

are you saddened by the loss of #moo and its mainstay users
I must admit that I kind of lost track of #moo; I didn't know it was dead. I left before it completely collapsed (when it was just you / kd24 discussing wrestling lol). It was a cool channel, though. :(

Do you do any drugs / wanna do drugs with me some time
Drugs are bad for you, Mr. Amir...

Do you miss our late night phone calls?
NAH. I hate talking on the phone. Only the ones with kimotherapy415.

Remember the Magcargo clusterfuck in one of the New UU threads? What was your stance on Magcargo in UU and why?
Lol yeah. I supported Magcargo; I had actually been using it prior to that. It was a great counter to Moltres/Scyther, two Pokemon that were really popular at the time. And it's cute.

I can't believe Smogon is still doing well threads and that you guys were desperate enough for Eo....

Also whatever happened to your flowering love with the Cicada?
I beat him in that one UU tournament and never saw him again. I think I crushed his spirit...

can you summarize your relationship with user bluewind in under 100 words? (If so, please do so!!)
/me pets Fabio's Girafarig

Name a pokemon and I will do a battle just for you .
Meganium

You said you've always wanted to become a writer, so:

Favorite genre?
Favorite book?
Favorite author?
Genre - Mystery
Book - And Then There Were None
Author - Agatha Christie

I'm a sucker for mystery novels. Adding to that, my favorite classic is Don Quixote, since everyone who has asked me my favorite book seems to have always expected a classic as an answer.

What made you realize your love for writing?
Have you written anything at all yet, or is writing a novel just an unattempted dream so far?
In third grade, I got mad at my sister and wrote a story vilifying her for a class assignment. I had a lot of fun with it, even though I had initially been unenthusiastic about the assignment, and my class liked it.

I haven't written anything outside of short stories.

What is your fave 5th gen tier?
OU probably. I honestly don't mind the current state of OU, even though I'm in a very, very significant minority.

Which character do you play at Melee? Do you still play it, have you played big names, how is your local scene and would you beast me in a 5$ money match?
I main Marth/Jigglypuff. I started with Marth, switched to Jiggs because she was easier to learn, and then went back to Marth when I learned some tech skill. I haven't been able to play as much as I would like to (I was gonna attend a tournament except I wanted to do Tour lol), but I play fairly often. The biggest name I've played is DarkAtma, and my friend recently played Dart, IHaveSpaceballs, and Iori at a Rolla tournament (Pathways). The local scene is small, but it's recently hit a growth spurt, which is pretty cool to be part of.

I dunno if I would beat you lol. If Smash were Pokemon, I'd be like...Sir-level or something, if that gives you any indication.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Which forum is your least favorite forum here on Smogon?

If you could give this site any Pokemon as its mascot, which one wouldja choose?

Are you enjoying your well =)?

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have you played any agatha cristie games? I played and there was none, death on the oriental express, and evil under the sun. I really enjoyed them.

If you could, what sort of change would you do to the current mafia scene here on Smogon?

Why did you get Sniper Wolf killed in MGS

What sort of music do you like, and why?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
-Obligatory top 6 favorite Pokemon of all time?

-What are your future plans for smogon? If I recall correctly, you were going to quit.

-What are your hopes for BW2? (specifically, what would you like to see GF implement?)

-What was your favorite tournament you took part in?

and finally

-Let's make a joint team together with the gang. Y/Y

and oh my god you're a smash player. (/respect)

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
You're lame.

Ok, for starters which era of dp Was your favorite? Bw? Why?

Do you truly believe mammon / sweep / minato are the same person?

Is there a trophy you value over the rest? Why?

Who do/ did you look up to as a pokemin player?

Ballabrown24 or PttP?

Most importantly , thoughts on VGC, its community,and its influence on smogon?

Oh almost forgot, on a scale of 1 to elton john plus bluewind and folgorios love affair (on a gayness scale), how gay is reyscarface? Feel free to be creative here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)