Pokémon Tapu Fini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lemme take a moment to tell you about my Lord and Savior, Icium Z Tapu FIni.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Haze

This is Fini's adapted stall set I've been using basically since release. Taunt makes you able to stop spike setter ferro/skarm and allows you to makeshift break opposing stall teams. Haze allows you to become sorta unaware, but is mainly useful for containing something like manaphy proactively and keeping Scizor in check until I'm ready to kill it. Occasionally I see a dragon dancer and then this thing is like a bulkier clefable. A clefable that can do 50% of your HP as chip damage.

+6 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 313-369 (91.2 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
That's the strongest scizor can be against you. In reality, I expect 44 attack most of the time, which fails to ever KO, even through rocks. With Icium Z, you reset that and full heal yourself. Haven't had to do that since I got a few fire coverage moves on my team but this is the kind of power Fini possesses. Also 8 speed makes sure marowak-a never outspeeds you.

Why do I like this over leftovers? Well, for one to get the average healing I get from Icium Z (70%), you need 12 turns. Two, a full heal on demand IS a game changer, whereas leftovers are predictable. And finally, Haze is already a great move on stall, this just gives you a real secondary reason to run it. Making it so I never have to worry about BP or boosters is a huge plus, especially since I hate both unaware mons this gen.

TBH while we're on Fini, VenuFini cores are super destructive, from Bulky Offense to Stall. The core is just unreal good.
What the heck, I had no idea Z-Haze was a full heal... though in hindsight it wouldn't be any good as a stat-booster, since Haze's effect would happen after the Z-effect and eliminate the resulting boosts.

I may have to try that on my stall set. That's way better than Leftovers, for all the reasons you listed plus one: you don't have to worry about Knock Off removing your recovery.

...On that note, my Trapu Fini set was redone:

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Moonblast / Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Haze

Aqua Ring was thrown out because despite it and Leftovers giving double recovery, it couldn't bring down enemies that already had their own passive recovery up - Leftovers already halves the passive damage of Whirlpool, and that plus Aqua Ring (which Toxapex sometimes runs) negates it entirely. I've taken to running Moonblast over Nature's Madness for the same reason since a set amount of damage makes for easier KOs, but the latter is still viable on setup sweepers.

Just had a great match to show it:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-506002678

Content of the replay as requested by the mod: Heavy use of stallbreaker tapu fini against one of the most common stall teams. Both players in top 100. Lasts 53 turns, ash greninja sweeps at the end with a bit of hax.
What this video taught me is that Fini is great if used right and that Nature's Madness misses way more than that 90% claims, lol

Also, ngtunganh I've been using it currently. It's a little gimmicky but it does hit pretty hard. Not sure if it's more useful than Moonblast though. I've been enjoying it either way. I was not creative on the EVs at all, I'm using the first set on this page:

Utility
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Brine
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Defog

After reading some here, though, I think that Haze has a spot, but idk how. I LOVE Taunt on her and Defog is huge since she isn't weak to rocks.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Brine and Nature's Madness on their own. On paper it sounds like a solid idea since Nature's Madness should chop the enemy's HP bar in half, but in practice I've seen many, many, many people run odd HP numbers specifically to prevent shenanigans like this, since the game rounds damage down and leaves them with a frustrating 1 HP above the halfway mark Brine needs to get boosted. You'd need a teammate to set Stealth Rock if you wanted it to be reliable, which means you'd also need to keep an eye out for Defoggers/Rapid Spinners.

That being said, if Fini does get Brine boosted after Nature's Madness, it's an easy 2HKO to anything that doesn't resist Water or is from the Chansey line (which is screwed over by Taunt). The catch is that it can be troublesome to set up and requires a dedicated hazard setter, using at least two of your team slots on the gimmick. Personally I don't think that's worth it, but your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Brine and Nature's Madness on their own. On paper it sounds like a solid idea since Nature's Madness should chop the enemy's HP bar in half, but in practice I've seen many, many, many people run odd HP numbers specifically to prevent shenanigans like this, since the game rounds damage down and leaves them with a frustrating 1 HP above the halfway mark Brine needs to get boosted. You'd need a teammate to set Stealth Rock if you wanted it to be reliable, which means you'd also need to keep an eye out for Defoggers/Rapid Spinners.

That being said, if Fini does get Brine boosted after Nature's Madness, it's an easy 2HKO to anything that doesn't resist Water or is from the Chansey line (which is screwed over by Taunt). The catch is that it can be troublesome to set up and requires a dedicated hazard setter, using at least two of your team slots on the gimmick. Personally I don't think that's worth it, but your mileage may vary.
You're right but you should probably have someone who sets up rocks already anyway. The bigger issue I've found, outside of the HP Creep you mentioned, is Leftovers recover. After they switch in, you NM, they move, lefties triggers and Brine won't activate properly. This is, again, mitigated by rocks and does a good job, but you are Tapu Fini and carry Defog so they may temporarily be gone. *shrug* This dolphin girl is a double edged sword at every turn it seems.

What this video taught me is that Fini is great if used right and that Nature's Madness misses way more than that 90% claims, lol

Also, ngtunganh I've been using it currently. It's a little gimmicky but it does hit pretty hard. Not sure if it's more useful than Moonblast though. I've been enjoying it either way. I was not creative on the EVs at all, I'm using the first set on this page:

Utility
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Brine
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Defog

After reading some here, though, I think that Haze has a spot, but idk how. I LOVE Taunt on her and Defog is huge since she isn't weak to rocks.
thanks,I'll try this
But what if I want to use it in battle tree,what should I change it into?

What the heck, I had no idea Z-Haze was a full heal... though in hindsight it wouldn't be any good as a stat-booster, since Haze's effect would happen after the Z-effect and eliminate the resulting boosts.

I may have to try that on my stall set. That's way better than Leftovers, for all the reasons you listed plus one: you don't have to worry about Knock Off removing your recovery.

...On that note, my Trapu Fini set was redone:

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Moonblast / Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Haze

Aqua Ring was thrown out because despite it and Leftovers giving double recovery, it couldn't bring down enemies that already had their own passive recovery up - Leftovers already halves the passive damage of Whirlpool, and that plus Aqua Ring (which Toxapex sometimes runs) negates it entirely. I've taken to running Moonblast over Nature's Madness for the same reason since a set amount of damage makes for easier KOs, but the latter is still viable on setup sweepers.
The heal set on CM if you want it uses normalium z refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)