Pokémon Tapu Fini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scald will still work on Pokemon that are afloat (think Celesteela) as well as Bulu / Koko who think they can sneak a free switch-in otherwise. This is doubly true for Bulu as it can swap without too much issue and immediately threaten out with Horn Leech or Wood Hammer.
Well thats what I was missing, thank you.

Although I still think modest defog+3 attacks is the way to go with this thing. Calm is overkill, and bold just feels like youre fishing for scald burns and not doing much of anything else. It fits best as a pivot on balanced/offensive teams imo, sort of like vaporeon in gen 4, without wish.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers,
Bold Nature
Psychic Surge. EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 64 Speed
* Moonblast
* Surf
* Defog
* Calm Mind

How are these EVs?

I've been running Fiji as a Defensive defogger/Trapper

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Whirlpool
- Nature's Madness
- Haze

Haze is to deal with those pesky pokes who love to set up on Fini, Whirlpool is to trap and damage a poke for 3-5 turns. And Natures madness hurts a poke on the inevitable steel switch in. Because without it Fini hits like a wet noodle.

It's worked surprisingly well. Nullifying threats to other teammates/Working as a check to Lele. As a defensive defogger I'm not sure who I'd prefer over Fini.

Definitely needs a Bulky Steel type, I personally am Using Celesteela + A-Marowak as partners

I've been running Fiji as a Defensive defogger/Trapper

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Whirlpool
- Nature's Madness
- Haze

Haze is to deal with those pesky pokes who love to set up on Fini, Whirlpool is to trap and damage a poke for 3-5 turns. And Natures madness hurts a poke on the inevitable steel switch in. Because without it Fini hits like a wet noodle.

It's worked surprisingly well. Nullifying threats to other teammates/Working as a check to Lele. As a defensive defogger I'm not sure who I'd prefer over Fini.

Definitely needs a Bulky Steel type, I personally am Using Celesteela + A-Marowak as partners
You have to run Taunt on this set. Taunt allows you to kill things that have recovery like Toxapex and Chansey.

This is 100% a CM sweeper, he's too bulky naturally not to be

Tapu Dolphin - Leftovers
252 HP/252 D - Bold
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Scald/Surf
- Defog/Aqua Ring/IceBeam

I don't think you need speed EVs cuz you don't care if you get hit, and this is basically CM Suicune but arguably better because of typing, and if you've faced a CM Suicune, you know if it starts to set up and you can't phase it out, you've basically lost, gets 2-3 CMs you just win, pick who you set up on and it's ggs.

Clearly this is good for singles, but maybe even doubles too?

Depends on what you want Fini to do.
Timid offensive set is a waste IMO because it's not fast enough and you will not do that much with 95 Sp.A. Also, you can't burn with Scald in Misty Terrain so the only reason to go Bold, is if you want to use Calm Mind or Trap; Calm is useless.

I personally really like this Bulky Offensive Defog set.
Modest with 252 HP, SPA.
Leftovers
Hydro Pump/Surf
Moonblast/Ice Beam/Psychic
Taunt/Calm Mind
Defog

Walls and SR setters can't switch into you because they eat a Taunt and you're naturally faster. Run CM if you want a way to deal with Stall and run Ice Beam to deal with Grass types or Psychic for Poison types (like Venu or mushroom).
Did you mean HP Psychic? Because I don't think Tapu Fini can learn Psychic - that would be cool though.

This is 100% a CM sweeper, he's too bulky naturally not to be

Tapu Dolphin - Leftovers
252 HP/252 D - Bold
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Scald/Surf
- Defog/Aqua Ring/IceBeam

I don't think you need speed EVs cuz you don't care if you get hit, and this is basically CM Suicune but arguably better because of typing, and if you've faced a CM Suicune, you know if it starts to set up and you can't phase it out, you've basically lost, gets 2-3 CMs you just win, pick who you set up on and it's ggs.

Clearly this is good for singles, but maybe even doubles too?
Go for Hydro Pump with that set, it really wants the immediate power.

Don't put on Scald at all, because that would only have half of a use after 5 turns. I'd go with Surf.
But it can burn airborne targets, which is something.

And it will also burn whatever Tapu tries to override terrains. Very important against Bulu.

For the Offensive Calm Mind set in the OP, I personally think you should go with Hydro Pump instead of Surf / Scald. The extra power is much more important, especially if you're running Waterium Z. It should also run Modest Nature, or at least have that slashed in, since that set is all about power. You already have a reliable STAB in Moonblast, and the power difference is really noticeable:

+1 252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 175-207 (43.3 - 51.2%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 227-269 (56.1 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Fini Surf vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 144-169 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Fini Surf vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 187-220 (46.2 - 54.4%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Since I'm running offense on the other Tapus, I wanted to give a bulky trap set a try for Fini.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Aqua Ring

What sets Tapu Fini apart from other trappers and stallers is that it sets a field effect on switch-in that prevents it from being statused, and the difference really shows. The trap set is an anathema to anything bulky (and non-Ghost). Fini's fantastic typing gives it a large number of safe switch-ins and easy targets: anything it resists is easy prey thanks to Aqua Ring + Leftovers, stallers are nigh-powerless against it after Taunt, and the Defense investment allows it to bring down tanky physical attackers. Against any of these enemies, the combo of Whirlpool and Nature's Madness is an almost guaranteed KO to non-Leftovers users, and anything that miraculously makes out it out of the Whirlpool after the 4th trap turn will be on its last legs.

I was skeptical of the defensive investment at first, but after trying it out and learning how to pick my targets, it works obnoxiously well. One match had it eat a Toxapex alive, and another match had it weather an assault from a weakened Hawlucha followed by a fresh Dragonite that it took down with ease. At least two of these are Pokemon that an average team would have a hell of a time dealing with normally.

Last edited:
In general if you're running stallbreaker Fini you'd better have at least some speed investment, regardless of nature. A good speed benchmark to hit is 244, letting you outspeed max speed Tyranitar/Celesteela, as well as bulky Chomp and pretty much anything else relevant that doesn't invest in speed. Running more speed is definitely viable if you want, and I tend to prefer Timid Fini with a good amount of Speed investment.

Defog Stallbreaker
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
Giving up Water coverage can make dealing with Heatran, Alolawak, and Landorus-T more annoying, (though bluffing a Water STAB usually works early game) but Taunt+Nature's Madness is very effective for crippling walls. Moonblast is the offensive STAB of choice to deal with Mega-Sableye.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-499614937

Hold up a sec you guys, I JUST realized the one practical application to Misty Surge's primary effect!
Remember, unlike the other primary effects (giving a weather-style boost to its type), this one just grants all Pokémon under its effect a resistance to Dragon. It does not weaken the user's move! It simply grants the target a resistance.

This means that if you use a grounded Dragon on your team like Garchomp, Garchomp is no longer weak to Dragon.
However, if your opponent uses a flying Dragon like Dragonite, Salamence, Hydreigon, or the almighty (regular) Altaria, they aren't granted a resistance. You can now leave Garchomp in against them as it's no longer weak to their Draco Meteors or their Outrages, but they're still weak to Garchomp's.
And if you think "Yeah, but Garchomp is still being neutered if its opponent IS grounded", bear in mind that Garchomp is likely relying on Earthquake for a majority of the match, and only pulls out DM/Outrage against flying targets in the first place. Even if the opponent is Mega Charizard X, you still win out as 'zard needs to use Dragon Claw, but you can still use Earthquake.

This really won't be a game changer, but if you happen to be running a grounded dragon like Garchomp alongside Fini, just remember that you still have free reign against flying opponents, and you needn't run if your opponent has a Dragon type move! (If only Dragon coverage was actually a thing anyone used.)

So I've been thinking of adding Tapu Fini to both my Singles and Doubles team, and both include Mega Charizard Y as well -- and especially when it comes to Singles, my team would definitely benefit from a bulky Defogger --- HOWEVER, I am still not sure whether to go for Timid or Bold. Any thoughts?

So I've been thinking of adding Tapu Fini to both my Singles and Doubles team, and both include Mega Charizard Y as well -- and especially when it comes to Singles, my team would definitely benefit from a bulky Defogger --- HOWEVER, I am still not sure whether to go for Timid or Bold. Any thoughts?
Timid, and slap in Taunt too. Unless you plan to boost with calm minds, I think I used a Bold calm minder with Defog.
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers,
Bold Nature
Psychic Surge. EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 64 Speed
* Moonblast
* Surf
* Defog
* Calm Mind

How are these EVs?
That was this probably except for scald(?). I used 252 speed EVs and wasn't sure what Def EVs to add cause i wanted to tank hits better. You outspeed Tyranitar and Celesteela, with Tyranitar while running Scarf doesnt have anything supereffective against you and Celesteela having subpar offenses. I wonder what MechaKnight16 thinks of the set and if you can give them feedback on it? I also wonder what Speed Mamoswine Stealth Rockers run cause those are the most common ones I've seen on the ladder and it'd ease prediction being faster than them. They prob Adamant cause of priority and slowish speed. I think they run max speed though.

How viable is Gliscor as a teammate?
Gliscor doesn't fear status but they share defensive synergy by typing alone.Too bad it doesn't get a decent flying move for grasses. Dunno if Toxic Orb will activate while Misty Field is in effect. I know T-spikes fail to after this thing has been brought in.

Edit: Gliscor is flying no? Then Misty terrain and all other terrains are irrelevant. In fact, it can stall electrics that lack HP ice till their terrain end without having to bring out your own Tapus.

Last edited:
Gliscor doesn't fear status but they share defensive synergy by typing alone.Too bad it doesn't get a decent flying move for grasses. Dunno if Toxic Orb will activate while Misty Field is in effect. I know T-spikes fail to after this thing has been brought in.
Just as a warning (You've probably seen this): Misty Terrain only triggers AFTER entry hazards have taken place, which means Toxic Spikes will still affect Tapu Fini on switchin if Misty Terrain wasn't previously present.

Is it worth it trying to get HP Fire on this thing? I just got HP Fire on my Lele and that took forever. Is it a super important move on this poke or can I get by with its other movesets?

Is it worth it trying to get HP Fire on this thing? I just got HP Fire on my Lele and that took forever. Is it a super important move on this poke or can I get by with its other movesets?
Unless you really need to hit Ferrothorn, Hydro Pump / Scald, Moonblast, Ice Beam & Grass Knot should be all you need.

Fini is good in that it can act as a Defogger+okaish Stall breaker with Taunt+Nature's Madness while also being a very good offensive pivot with that bulk and typing. Offense and bulky offense greatly appreciates this. I also think a full on stall breaker set is an incredible asset to Balance and Bulky offense build in that it's an almost sure fire stop to stall. The set I have in mind is Taunt / Moonblast / Whirlpool / Nature's Madness.

In general if you're running stallbreaker Fini you'd better have at least some speed investment, regardless of nature. A good speed benchmark to hit is 244, letting you outspeed max speed Tyranitar/Celesteela, as well as bulky Chomp and pretty much anything else relevant that doesn't invest in speed. Running more speed is definitely viable if you want, and I tend to prefer Timid Fini with a good amount of Speed investment.

Defog Stallbreaker
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
Giving up Water coverage can make dealing with Heatran, Alolawak, and Landorus-T more annoying, (though bluffing a Water STAB usually works early game) but Taunt+Nature's Madness is very effective for crippling walls. Moonblast is the offensive STAB of choice to deal with Mega-Sableye.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-499614937
My fini is very similar to yours, but without defog because I don't want to defog my own hazards agains stall. The Combination of Mold Breaker Exadrill and a fast Stallbreaker Tapu Fini works amazing agains stall.

Lemme take a moment to tell you about my Lord and Savior, Icium Z Tapu FIni.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Haze

This is Fini's adapted stall set I've been using basically since release. Taunt makes you able to stop spike setter ferro/skarm and allows you to makeshift break opposing stall teams. Haze allows you to become sorta unaware, but is mainly useful for containing something like manaphy proactively and keeping Scizor in check until I'm ready to kill it. Occasionally I see a dragon dancer and then this thing is like a bulkier clefable. A clefable that can do 50% of your HP as chip damage.

+6 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 313-369 (91.2 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
That's the strongest scizor can be against you. In reality, I expect 44 attack most of the time, which fails to ever KO, even through rocks. With Icium Z, you reset that and full heal yourself. Haven't had to do that since I got a few fire coverage moves on my team but this is the kind of power Fini possesses. Also 8 speed makes sure marowak-a never outspeeds you.

Why do I like this over leftovers? Well, for one to get the average healing I get from Icium Z (70%), you need 12 turns. Two, a full heal on demand IS a game changer, whereas leftovers are predictable. And finally, Haze is already a great move on stall, this just gives you a real secondary reason to run it. Making it so I never have to worry about BP or boosters is a huge plus, especially since I hate both unaware mons this gen.

TBH while we're on Fini, VenuFini cores are super destructive, from Bulky Offense to Stall. The core is just unreal good.

My fini is very similar to yours, but without defog because I don't want to defog my own hazards agains stall. The Combination of Mold Breaker Exadrill and a fast Stallbreaker Tapu Fini works amazing agains stall.
Putting Defog on that set is mostly for the purpose of role compression. As a dedicated stallbreaker Fini would rather have either both its STABs or maybe Z-Haze or something. Plus with enough speed investment to beat bulky Chomp/Lando Fini can keep hazards away against them, while Exca can come in on Nihilego and Toxic Spikes, which Fini hates, so that's definitely a good combo if you can afford to fit both of them on your team, not to mention Exca covering your electric weakness.

Putting Defog on that set is mostly for the purpose of role compression. As a dedicated stallbreaker Fini would rather have either both its STABs or maybe Z-Haze or something. Plus with enough speed investment to beat bulky Chomp/Lando Fini can keep hazards away against them, while Exca can come in on Nihilego and Toxic Spikes, which Fini hates, so that's definitely a good combo if you can afford to fit both of them on your team, not to mention Exca covering your electric weakness.
Just had a great match to show it:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-506002678

Content of the replay as requested by the mod: Heavy use of stallbreaker tapu fini against one of the most common stall teams. Both players in top 100. Lasts 53 turns, ash greninja sweeps at the end with a bit of hax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)