Pokémon Tapu Fini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Fini, it's actually on my team that I'm using currently, but it is disadvantaged against all of the other tapus. Bulu and Koko both check her pretty well and Lulu doesnt care and keeps sweeping. I still think it's incredibly viable. This is the set I'm running.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Surf

I run surf over scald because Fini doesn't burn anyone, so you might as well take the extra 10 bp.
Have you tried Hydro Pump instead of Surf? I'm going with the former at the moment since the difference in damage is really noticable, Mega Scizor turns into a 2HKO, for example. Apart from that, I'm running the same set after testing out all the possibilites. One of the Z full recoveries or taunt would be so nice with this, but mono-attacking loses out on a lot of insta-tanking potential, sadly.

Nature's Madness is amazing on defensive sets; it lets Tapu Fini wear down common switch-ins very easily. I've been runing Nature's Madness, Taunt, Scald and Defog and it has been particularly amazing, specially against more defensive oriented teams.

Nature's Madness is amazing on defensive sets; it lets Tapu Fini wear down common switch-ins very easily. I've been runing Nature's Madness, Taunt, Scald and Defog and it has been particularly amazing, specially against more defensive oriented teams.
Yeah, I've been using it and it really punishes steel-types who think they have a free switch in. Unfortunately on a defensive set your most likely going to be running leftovers, which diminishes the rest of her offensive moves. That being Tapu Fini's defensive sets have been working really nicely for me.

So I tested out "Trapu Fini" on a bulky offense team with setup sweepers.
The problem this spec faces is that it's most common switch-ins are offensive mons, so it ends up trapping things that are difficult to set up on.
Also, Whirlpool goes away as soon as you switch out and doesn't trap volt turn, so it's pretty niche. The only setup sweepers that really benefit from it early game are ones that can sweep with one boost since a check/counter will switch in immediately. The strongest one I know of for this is Porygon-Z, which is disgusting if the opponent lacks a chansey.
The partners I liked the most for this spec were other trappers such as Decidueye and Wall breakers like Landorus-I. Btw, Landorus-I is still insane.
I also really like using Alolan Marowak with "Trapu Fini" since it handles Pheremosa and the other Tapu's really well. It does a lot of damage to switch-ins, so it works as a wallbreaker.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What nature and EVs do you run? This set sounds interesting.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-482892707
So after playing around with "Trapu Fini" a bit, I've reached a consensus on how I can use it.
The team I was messing around with in the replay I linked above is not all that great, but the set I was running on Tapu Fini was extremely effective at trapping and killing a toxapex.
Trapu Fini
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Nature's Madness
- Defog
- Taunt
Whirlpool tears away a set amount of any threat's health each turn and Nature's Madness does 50% of whatever HP the opponent has.
Defog clears hazards, and it not essential
Taunt prevents the foe from healing, which allows this set to perform very well against stall mons.
In the replay, Tapu Fini removes a Toxapex from play like it's nothing. If my team had been equipped to better handle Greninja, I may have won.
In another match that I did not save a replay of, I did the exact same thing to a Belly Drum Azumarill (that did not use Belly Drum), so this set can easily wall and trap Assault Vest Azumarill (unboosted Play Rough is probably a 4HKO).

The best thing about this set is that nobody expects it, and Tapu Fini is very splashable, so it will usually claim 1 mon per match IF whirlpool doesn't miss.

It's a bit underwhelming compared to the other Tapus.

While the other Tapus can provide great team support and be threats on their own, Fini is really only good at team support.

It's a bit underwhelming compared to the other Tapus.

While the other Tapus can provide great team support and be threats on their own, Fini is really only good at team support.
Being a Wall with no recovery will do that to you. I mean, come on. It doesn't even get Moonlight.

Unless she gets reliable recovery in a later game, which will set her way higher in my mind, I think this gal is gonna be doing some good stalling work in UU. She's super good and a nuisance in some regards but even if you don't really have anything to deal with her, she's super easy to chip away slowly.

Its ability really, really sucks for it, especially since its offensive stats are so mediocre. However, if Telepathy is accesible, then it can run this set:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Taunt

It's actually a pretty good defogger, since it beats all relevant hazard setters besides Ferrothorn and Toxapex by virtue of its typing (he latter being completely shut down by Taunt). This particular set plays similarly to Empoleon, as a hazard remover that also doubles up as a status spreader. But Fini has the extra advantage of being able to run Taunt to prevent rocks from going back up again. You could run Protect on there for exatra recovery, but Toxic and Taunt are both too useful too pass up on
Sorry what???

Misty terrain is absolutely amazing. I actually can't help but slap this thing on so many teams, simply because the support it gives is incredible. Defog, taunt and amazing typing + bulk all while maintaining a good offensive presence purely by virtue of having good STABs AND giving ridiculous support to offense through twave and burn immunities? yes yes yes yes yes

My favourite set would have to be:
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump/Scald

Basically it just abuses its amazing natural bulk + typing to come in repeatedly to defog. With 200+ spatk it's actually very annoying to deal with unless you have a resist to both STABs.

Of course this set is extremely variable; you can make it faster or slower, less or more offensive, switch up scald and hydro or even fit nature's madness somewhere in there. Point is, fini's an amazing support mon and the value of a terrain that lets mons set up without any fear of scald burns and random twaves cannot be overstated.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers/Grip Claw
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Moonblast/Ice Beam/Aqua Ring

Just a super gimmicky set that I personally haven't tried yet but it looks like it could kick the shit out of stall (which I know it's nothing special in today's metagame), it's not some new best thing and it probably sucks against other playstyles but I hate full fat so much that I would consider using this.
The idea is simple, click whirlpool and trap dat ass (Chansey, Unaware Clef, Suicune...), then you taunt preventing them from healing and proceed to Nature's Madness until they don't have much HP left, click moonblast to finish them off.

Ice beam could be used to put a dent on Amoonguss and Aqua Ring could be used so that you can heal off more than they could ditch out damage (It also gives you free lefties if you want to go with the Grip Claw route).

I recommend using this if you know your opponent is bringing fat.

E: 8 speed ensures you outspeed Suicune and taunt it before it CMs.

Last edited:
This thing actually has fairly tremendous bulk while maintaining decent offences, I've been running:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

It's on an offence team, so the status prevention is much appreciated - also allowing you to CM without fear of status. As we saw last gen with Azumarill, Water/Fairy is good coverage and HP Fire rounds it off very nicely against steels. The bulk really helps against the swirling offence shit storm currently, checking quite a great deal. It's also a huge help against rain offensive, checking Kingdra nicely and having enough defence to weather Kabutops - you obviously need something else for Koko but that's a given. Bulky threats often go unsung, so here I am singing a little.

Vague

Banned deucer.
i cannot stress enough how bad offensive tapu fini is. what makes the other tapu's such dangerous mons is the fact their terrains boost the power behind their powerful STABs. Reason why CB Bulu, Scarf / Specs Lele, and Koko on a whole has been nothing short of amazing.

if you wan't any real mileage with tapu fini, a supportive should be what you turn to. defog + taunt / haze (taunt is usually better) brings quite a bit in one mon with such great bulk and typing, especially defog since it nearly always has a winning matchup against hazard setters. if you ever do run cm (it's decent enough) it should be on a bulky set to take advantage of it's typing.

taunt + nature's madness is really good at wearing down defensive stuff, while checking things like zard x (more or less), keld, etc. i like cm + protect too, as protect acts like a "pseudo recovery move" like cm protect suicune works in dpp (but better because sand only lasts 5 turns, and ttar isn't even common now). u need zone for ferro tho, and the lack of taunt is huge sometimes + protect is punishable

Despite Misty Terrain, I think Scald is still the goto option for STAB on this Pokémon. Remember that Terrains don't affect airbone Pokémon, and thus a prominent number of OU relevant mons face the risk of being burned if they take a Scald(i.e. Skarmory, Rotom-W, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Zapdos, Gyarados, Mega Pinsir, Pelipper, Celesteela), as well as her three fellow Guardians, which all dislike a burn, especially Tapu Bulu. And of course, Scald can always be useful if Tapu Fini for some reasons stays out until after the Terrain wears off. Surf doesn't have any useful side effect on its own anyway, and I don't think the extra power allows Tapu Fini to get any important extra OHKO/2HKO

Burning tapu bulu switching in can be good. I never seen a tapu fini staying in too much turns tho, because it tends to act like a pivot that gives general utility (defog, checking certain threats), but it's ofc a different matter for the CM set. Keep in mind however that burn got nerfed and in gen7 special attackers dont care much bout it, unlike before

But yh scald may be the better option after all

tapu fini is such a fantastic hazard remover and in general a great utility mon to use vs. defensive teams. i really hope somehow its able to learn a recovery move in the future because it would be the bane of stall lol. status immunity + consistent damage against ANY mon is nothing to laugh at.

I'm starting to wonder if it would be more beneficial to run a more bulky spread with a defensive nature like Bold on CM Fini. It would allow Fini to exercise it's efficient typing to maximum potential imo. I'm not quite sure at the moment but maybe a more bulky set would be best

Anyone else think that a screener might be it's best option?
With Reflect and Light Screen and Misty Terrain, it halves damage and blocks status.

Tapu Fini Light Clay
Bold, 252 HP/Def
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Nature's Madness
-Brine

Plays primarily to set up screen for your set up sweeper, uses Nature's Madness to inflict percentage dmg,
and anyone less than 50% HP is gonna hate taking a 130 BP STAB move.

What do you guys think?

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but defensive Fini MUST run at least 8 Speed EV so that it can out-speed Jolly Marowak-A, which is extremely threatening to balanced or stall build that lacks dedicated switch-in (Mandibuzz, Alomomola, Gliscor)

I'm trying to pick between Bold/Calm/Timid
I can't figure out which to go for, can anyone help me out?
I can't see Fini ever wanting timid, since you want to build it defensively. I guess the choice between bold and calm is based on what your team needs, but I always run calm since it has better special bulk naturally.

I'm trying to pick between Bold/Calm/Timid
I can't figure out which to go for, can anyone help me out?
In the case of CM Fini because it's rather different, Modest or Bold seem to be the best bets on it. Just need to give it some bulk, and some speed to hit a benchmark, depending on what you want to hit. I would certainly want to be faster than Jolly Maro though for sure.

I can't see Fini ever wanting timid, since you want to build it defensively. I guess the choice between bold and calm is based on what your team needs, but I always run calm since it has better special bulk naturally.
You don't have any issues with it being a pivot? Because the Tapu's will be switching in/out a lot

Well, Timid Fini is a thing. 252HP/252Spe+ Fini this gen is similar to 252HP/252Spe+ Heatran last gen: It still checks what it needs to checks due to typing + natural bulk, still can stallbreak with Taunt plus the speed gives it the edge vs slower wallbreakers (Mamoswine, Modest Hydreigon, Tapu Bulu, etc). If you don't believe me watch Pokeaim video, he uses Timid Fini on one of his team (I lost vs that team today :] lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)