Pokémon Tapu Fini

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have any issues with it being a pivot? Because the Tapu's will be switching in/out a lot
I personally prefer having more bulk over more speed on calm mind sets, but now that I think about it I guess on specs and utility you'd want timid.

Well, Timid Fini is a thing. 252HP/252Spe+ Fini this gen is similar to 252HP/252Spe+ Heatran last gen: It still checks what it needs to checks due to typing + natural bulk, still can stallbreak with Taunt plus the speed gives it the edge vs slower wallbreakers (Mamoswine, Modest Hydreigon, Tapu Bulu, etc). If you don't believe me watch Pokeaim video, he uses Timid Fini on one of his team (I lost vs that team today :] lol).
Pokeaim has yet to use a Timid Fini actually, but there is no denying that it puts in work.

I have a question for you guys. I have a dilemma where I'm using Fini as my team's bulky water, which is a role it fills pretty damn well, but I find that its fairy subtyping makes me weak to major threats like Greninja (Gunk Shot) and Mega Metagross that I would normally expect my bulky water to wall. How would you guys patch up any holes this creates without creating role/typing redundencies?

I have a question for you guys. I have a dilemma where I'm using Fini as my team's bulky water, which is a role it fills pretty damn well, but I find that its fairy subtyping makes me weak to major threats like Greninja (Gunk Shot) and Mega Metagross that I would normally expect my bulky water to wall. How would you guys patch up any holes this creates without creating role/typing redundencies?
Bulky Steel is a good partner for Tapu Fini. Try SpDef M-Scizor or Celesteela + Marowak-A.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The little I've used of this so far I've found this to be its best set:

- Scald / Moonblast
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

It's a damn shame that it doesn't learn Recover because it is the only move this thing needs IMO. As Alexander said Scald is really good to catch Bulu and Toko switch-ins as well as offensive Celesteela that think you're running Moonblast instead. Speaking of Moonblast I think it gets an honorable mention because it can sort of help vs Zygarde and is usually a better move to have against Buzzwole.

I've done Bold. Timid seems okay but Fini seems to really lack a high Speed stat to abuse it. At worst probably have enough to outspeed Tyranitar or something.

The other thing I want to talk about is how offensive teams love this as a pivot. The utility of Misty Terrain is huge to block status for offensive threats and, even in some cases, defensive threats too.

I know some of the higher ups have praised this mon. I just wanted to join the fun.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
So... do the Tapu siblings really not learn Rest? I'm surprised no one has asked. I was going to see if Rest worked in Misty Terrain but uh... this damn fairy clam doesn't have it listed on Showdown >_>

So what nature are people feeling is best for this mon overall?

Modest/Timid maybe for the Defog + Taunt + Madness + Scald set?

Modest for a Defog + 3 attacks pivot?

Any role for defensive natures like Bold or Calm?

So what nature are people feeling is best for this mon overall?

Modest/Timid maybe for the Defog + Taunt + Madness + Scald set?

Modest for a Defog + 3 attacks pivot?

Any role for defensive natures like Bold or Calm?
Depends on what you want Fini to do.
Timid offensive set is a waste IMO because it's not fast enough and you will not do that much with 95 Sp.A. Also, you can't burn with Scald in Misty Terrain so the only reason to go Bold, is if you want to use Calm Mind or Trap; Calm is useless.

I personally really like this Bulky Offensive Defog set.
Modest with 252 HP, SPA.
Leftovers
Hydro Pump/Surf
Moonblast/Ice Beam/Psychic
Taunt/Calm Mind
Defog

Walls and SR setters can't switch into you because they eat a Taunt and you're naturally faster. Run CM if you want a way to deal with Stall and run Ice Beam to deal with Grass types or Psychic for Poison types (like Venu or mushroom).

Last edited:
I'm using this set for her:

Tapu Fini @ Misty Seed
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Ability: Misty Surge
Level: 100
Bold Nature
- Natures Madness
- Protect
- Muddy Water
- Swagger

paired up with M-Scizor Scizorite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Fini can use Swagger on Scizor and combine with Swords Dance, Scizor can easily have +4 Atk on the next turn if it's not interrupted.

it works well so far.. or is there better setup for them?

Scald is really good to catch Bulu and Toko switch-ins as well as offensive Celesteela
Am I missing something here? Why are so many people suggesting scald? Here, it's probably because the tapu switch will cancel out misty terrain and replace it, but isn't that extremely situational? Why use a move that isn't going to work most of the time?

I'm not trying to sound argumentative or pretentious. There's obviously just something I'm missing. I've been out of the loop.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Am I missing something here? Why are so many people suggesting scald? Here, it's probably because the tapu switch will cancel out misty terrain and replace it, but isn't that extremely situational? Why use a move that isn't going to work most of the time?

I'm not trying to sound argumentative or pretentious. There's obviously just something I'm missing. I've been out of the loop.
Scald will still work on Pokemon that are afloat (think Celesteela) as well as Bulu / Koko who think they can sneak a free switch-in otherwise. This is doubly true for Bulu as it can swap without too much issue and immediately threaten out with Horn Leech or Wood Hammer.

There are a large amount of relevant airborne targets that would be nice to burn. Also, Misty Terrain won't always be up, due to it either running out, being replaced, or having Fini switch out and then back in before Misty Terrain initially ran out. Surf itself is a very meager power increase at best and generally isn't worth using over Scald due to those airborne mons who aren't affected by terrain. On more offensively-inclined sets you can argue to run Hydro Pump over Scald for the power increase, though I fail to see how Surf would be a "strictly better" choice, or the overall better choice at all compared to Scald, as people have previously put it.

What I've been running:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 216 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald

Alternatively, 60 Spe for Lando-T (I use this just as often), or you can choose to invest in Def instead, depending on your team's needs.
What is the 28 defense and the 216 SpDef for. Not questioning it, Just curious if it is to specifically take on something(s).

There are a large amount of relevant airborne targets that would be nice to burn.
Too bad that Misty Terrain acts as a Safeguard for both sides of the field, so Scald's burn is not going to happen inside that 5/8 turns.

Misty Terrain is really a mixed bag as ability, because it doesn't allow you to run Rest on your set, unless you constantly double switch into the battlefield ===> this may be counterproductive.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Too bad that Misty Terrain acts as a Safeguard for both sides of the field, so Scald's burn is not going to happen inside that 5/8 turns.

Misty Terrain is really a mixed bag as ability, because it doesn't allow you to run Rest on your set, unless you constantly double switch into the battlefield ===> this may be counterproductive.
This isn't enough the fifth time I've seen this but, none of the Tapus learn Rest. Also Scald still burns airborne targets since terrains don't affect them.

If you're running Nature's Madness on this thing, might Brine be any good, or is the HP potentially being over half on an odd max Hp number too much of a liability?

If you're running Nature's Madness on this thing, might Brine be any good, or is the HP potentially being over half on an odd max Hp number too much of a liability?
Well, on one hand pretty much every Smogon recommended set tries to create an odd max HP.

On the other hand Stealth rock is everywhere, among much more passive damage options. So it's likely they wouldn't have max HP before being hit with Nature's Madness, so you'd clear the 50% mark. So if your team build can guarantee passive damage then Brine becomes a bit more viable.

Issue is, you're also dealing with slight leftover recovery, and your immediate power is that of bubblebeam.

So, trying to think of a good EV spread for a Bold defogging set.

Anyone got any ideas?

Running this set:

Bold
~ Scald
~ Moonblast
~ Defog
~ Calm Mind

I caught a calm one in Moon, so will be going for an offensive variant in Sun.

What are the notable things it outspeeds going from Modest to Timid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)