Other Lower Tier Threats (ORAS Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I don't think pangoro is a good scarfer, it's really slow for a scarfer and pangoro would rather have the extra power than the speed.

lol I thought it did *facepalm*
That was just an idea that I thought of, swift swim still doubles its speed, so it doesn't have to rely on aqua jet, so it can run dual stabs like brick break and waterfall.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Substitute / Return / Aromatherapy
- Drain Punch

Feel free to laugh at me and/or reject this, but I'll continue on.
Slurpuff, with access to Drain Punch now, is no longer walled by bulky steel types, and can passable recovery with it. And now the Belly Drum set is even better. Sure, Azumarill still is better than Slurpuff in more aspects, with priority, Knock Off, Huge Power which is a quarter of a Belly Drum anyway I think, Superpower, and a secondary STAB. But what Slurpuff holds over Azumarill is Unburden. With Unburden, after it gets a Belly Drum off and its Sitrus Berry activates, with only 228 Spe, it outspeeds everything up to Scarf Keldeo after the boost, which is pretty good when you think about it. I have tried Belly Drum Azumarill with Aqua Jet over Waterfall, since it seems my Azumarill gets revenged too easily, and even at +6, lacks power and misses out of needed OHKOs, so having this cotton candy get Unburden and a passable psychical moveset is pretty nice for me. The moves speak for themselves, but Belly Drum is the whole reason to use Slurpuff in the first place in OU, Play Rough for STAB and hit common types for super-effective damage, Substitute is nice to avoid status and/or get off a free Belly Drum, while Return allows you to hit bulky Poison types like Mega Venusaur. And Drain Punch is for bulky steel types, especially Heatran and Ferrothorn.
Of course, a Pokemon doesn't come without its flaws, M-Scizor, Skarmory, and Megagross shit on Slurpuff, even at +6, and it is pretty frail. And Azumarill is better in every other aspect outside of Unburden, but I feel Unburden gives Slurpuff a big enough niche to be mentioned.​

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lol I'm surprised no one actually brought this guy up, he broke the Guinness World Record for best moustache XD.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Protect / Taunt / Encore / Substitute / Hidden Power Fire / Dazzling Gleam

Role: Ugh... Late game sweeper, revenge killer, messing up ability-reliant Pokemon such as weather sweepers and prankster Pokemon.

Set Details: Psychic is the main STAB, hitting physical walls such as Landorus-T, Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W for more significant damage. Focus Blast is next, threatening Dark types or Steel types such as Heatran, Tyranitar or Bisharp who may switch in on Alakazam. Shadow Ball hits opposing Psychic types who may otherwise wall it's Psychic-Fighting combo such as Mew and Lati@s. The final moveslot can be used for Protect, letting Alakazam mega evolve safely or stall out a statused Pokemon, or Taunt to shut down Thundurus and Klefki. Encore can also be used to shut down set-up sweepers who may setup on Alakazam, such as Bisharp and Clefable, whilst Substitute is an option to evade Sucker Punch and status. HP Fire can be used to OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn on the switch, and lastly, Dazzling Gleam, though situational, can be nice to beat Mega Sableye.

EV Details: 216 Speed with Timid lets Alakazam outspeed max speed + beneficial nature base 145 Pokemon such as Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedrill, and 252 SpA just buffs it's firepower up. 40 HP just improves it's overall bulk, thought Alakazam won't be tanking many hits.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Thunder Wave / Dazzling Gleam

Role: Revenge Killer

Set Details: As mentioned before, Alakazam requires Psychic, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast to function, and with a combination of Focus Sash and Magic Guard, Alakazam is one of the premier revenge killers in the tier, holding the niche of being immune to hazards. The last slot is reserved to change according to the team - Energy Ball can be used to revenge kill rain sweepers, most prominently Swampert, whilst HP Ice and HP Fire hit Landorus-T, Garchomp, Multiscale-broken Dragonite and Ferrothorn and Scizor respectively. Thunder Wave can also be used to cripple set up sweepers such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Altaria who have the bulk to tank hits from Sashed Zam. Lastly Dazzling Gleam is very situational and the only prominent Pokemon it hit are Sableye and probably other dragons such as Garchomp and Dragonite.

EV Details: A Timid nature and max speed, max special attack allows Alakazam to usually get off two-three hits before it dies, as it's natural speed is very high. A Modest Nature could be used, but a Timid Nature is still better for revenge killing purposes.

Potential Partners: Since the Latis are not OHKOed by Shadow Ball, so any prior damage would be nice. Pursuit + Low Kick Bisharp helps Zam beat the Latis, as well as doing some prior damage to some Dark types such as Tyranitar and other Bisharp. Tyranitar is also a nice teamate, beating Talonflame as well as Pursuit-trapping the Latis. Pokemon who can withstand common priority moves such as Venusaur and Heatran are also good partners for Alakazam.

Though Alakazam is definitely not without it's flaws, being a frail-ass Psychic type in such an offensive metagame, it's power and speed combined give it enough niche to be a threat in the metagame, enough niche to be on this list :)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi just going to bump this thread for a bit to bring up one underrated gem that has fallen into relative rarity in OU but is still really neat and underrated.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz / Hidden Power Ground
- Giga Drain

Role: Special Sweeper

Volcarona, a former top tier threat in BW and BW2 OU, has since fallen from grace this generation, falling into UU usage (though it's BL because it was absurd in UU lol), but it's still a very effective sweeper in today's metagame, serving as a great boosting sweeper and win condition with its incredible boosting move, Quiver Dance, which of course makes Volcarona even faster and stronger with each boost, and gives it more special bulk that makes it rather impeccable on the special side. After Volcarona boosts a turn or two, it can easily tear through teams with ease with its dual STABs and Giga Drain, as Fire Blast is extremely strong and will even tear through resists like Charizard-Y to a degree, while Bug Buzz takes care of the Latis and Slowbro well. Hidden Power Ground is a good alternative over Bug Buzz though if you wish to hit Heatran hard, and it does decently against Mega Charizard X. Giga Drain hits Keldeo and to a lesser extent Terrakion, which is great and also gives Volcarona some recovery to use to heal itself. Its weaknesses to Stealth Rock (a huge one) and susceptibility to priority such as Aqua Jet from Azumarill and Brave Bird from Talonflame suck a lot, but if you can alleviate those flaws (which, to be frank, isn't all that hard), Volcarona can prove a monster, and it pays off beautifully. Life Orb isn't the only option for the item slot for a side note, as it can also run Passho Berry to take on Aqua Jet and other popular Water-type moves better to help it set up, or Lum Berry for a one-time cure to things like paralysis and poison, which also helps.

Yeah just wanted to throw that one in for now, may post another later if I get the playtesting experience.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Transform

I rarely see Ditto. It's rated C in the viability rankings thread. It's usable in even PU. It sparsely shows up on teams and does exactly one job and everyone is familiar with what that one job is. Maybe this isn't listed yet because of that - people know what Ditto does. It turns into your opponent's Pokemon and generally revenge kills them. Ditto has a deeper impact than that though. Its presence can change the flow of the game. You don't even have to use it for it to have an impact on the game; however, that impact is heightened versus opponents carrying boosters. It's more than just a revenge killer. Here are just a couple of examples in which Ditto's presence is useful:

Mega Charizard X: Ditto's presence will scare many Mega Charizards from boosting so it doesn't come in and copy a boosted Mega Pokemon. This makes it much more reasonable to wall without relying on phazing or having a truly proper counter.

Mega Diancie: There are two types of boosting Mega Diancie and Ditto scares both. The Calm Mind variant is a little less worried but is, all in all, still threatened by Ditto's presence.

Belly Drum Azumarill: Most Azumarill users would think twice about getting greedy with a Belly Drum as long as Ditto is alive and healthy. This makes Belly Drum Azumarill essentially an Azumarill with 3 moves and a Sitrus Berry.

Baton Passing: Baton Passers in general are going to fear Ditto's presence because it inhibits that aspect of their team entirely. Baton Passing effectively requires a couple of turns to set up properly and Ditto just borrows those boosts with no time investment whatsoever. One just has to be careful of Substitute in this case. It's worth noting that Substitute is a pretty big stop to Ditto in general. Substitutes will, in effect, minimize that entire mental impact on the game that Ditto has.

What kind of Pokemon work well with Ditto? I follow one rule. If it dismantles defense it supports Ditto. This includes our wallbreakers, stallbreakers, and trappers. I especially like our 3 most common trapping Pokemon as support options as partners: Magnezone, Gothitelle, and Dugtrio. Those 3 excel in taking down common defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Skarmory. Dismantling an opponents defense will raise Ditto's risk factor for their team.

What kind of team can Ditto fit on? It best fits on balance and stall best in my opinion. Hyper Offense is generally more about maintaining momentum and continually dealing damage. This in itself is keeping the opponent at bay and often dissuades them from bringing in some kind of sweeper which is what Ditto would ideally want to come in on. This doesn't mean you can't use Ditto on Hyper Offense, I just feel that it doesn't contribute quite as meaningfully on a team like that. Balance uses it well enough. Oftentimes when an opponent brings in an offensive powerhouse that scares your currently active Pokemon you will switch to a member of your team that resists the attack (much of the time this will be a member of some kind of defensive core.) The act of switching in that case, and being unprepared for a boosting threat, will allow the opponent to claim free boosts. Ditto often dissuades this.

Why would anyone in the right mind run a Ditto (generally considered a revenge killer) on stall? There are cases in which a stall team fails to deal with a boosting threat and it manages to remove an important member of your team. The nature of stall is one of slowly whittling down opponents while using smart plays to minimize your team's damage taken. Ditto is a safety net and a failsafe in this case. The booster is dissuaded from boosting for fear that Ditto will capitalize on the increased stats and punch holes in their team.

Ditto does have a couple of disadvantages. If played poorly it will absolutely be dead weight. Balanced teams that do not boost and have rigid defensive cores will make Ditto have difficulty shifting the flow of the game. It is also often dead weight versus pure stall teams. The more defensive your opponent's playstyle the less impact Ditto will have on the game.

Ultimately, Ditto at its most basic is a revenge killer. On another level it can dictate the flow of the game, especially if you're worried about boosting threats. Ditto dissuades. Ditto dispatches. Ditto decides.

I know that scoli has been posted already, but frankly I don't think the post does him justice.

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef
BoldNature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Iron Defense

Role: Baton Passer/Scout

ID Scolipede is one of the single best baton passers in the XY metagame. Thanks to lightning fast iron defenses, Scolipede can setup in the face of some of OU's greatest physical threats and tank some downright incredible hits. The combination of speed boost and iron defense means that he can outsetup most DDers and keep pace with SDers, a feat that no other BPer can lay claim to. Furthermore, being able to boost speed and defense at the same time gives him a unique niche that no sweeper can replicate, which is exactly what you want a quick passer to do. Speed and defense are hugely synergistic stats that allow any recipiant to outspeed most/all of the metagame while at the same time shrug off all but the most powerful super effective priority attacks (think of megamence and megagross and why they are such effective sweepers). The ability to give any mon these two stats, especially mons who do not have them normally, is very very powerful and can easily end games.

Some relevant calcs

+0 calcs

252+ Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 186-220 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 204-241 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 126-148 (39 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 calcs

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +2 248 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 186-218 (57.5 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. +2 248 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 144-170 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. +2 248 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 260-308 (80.4 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. +2 248 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 124-147 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So there's no shortage of setup bait in OU physical attackers.

Nothing on Blastoise.
At all.
Not even mentioned.
I hate you all

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish (iguess)
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse

Role: Tank, Hazard Removal

An incredibly underrated threat that got better with the arrival of ORAS; Mega Blastoise has always been arguably the best spinner in the Gen 6 Meta but is overshadowed by Starmie and Excadrill because, of course, they do not take up the mega slot. This fact is crucial and is really the one thing holding Blastoise back and it should be noted that you should only use it on certain teams, but Blastoise offers a ton of amazing support. With stupidly good 79/120/115 bulk, a typing to complement that that pairs up well with other fantastic 'mon like Celebi and a Special Attack of 135 backed up with what is practically STAB of Water/Dark/Fighting, Mega Blastoise finds itself checking or even countering a lot of higher tiered threats such as Talonflame, Heatran, Mega Lopunny, Landorus-Therian, Bisharp, Mega Diancie and Mega Metagross, often forcing a switch to allow itself to spin. That special attack stat isn't just there for a wall with offensive presence, either -- Blastoise can be an absolutely destructive monster, tearing apart more bulkier mon than it has the right to. In fact this allows it to support a lot of set-up sweepers who are usually stopped short by common Pokémon, such as SD Talonflame having trouble with Heatran and a lot of physical sweepers having trouble with Landorus-T. It does struggle against quite a few Pokémon, though - Azumarill in particular eats up any of Blastoise's particularly good moves, and other fairies such as Mega Altaria can really give it trouble. This can be fixed up to an extent by running Ice Beam but it is generally not as good an option as it's other moves are to beat many of the threats already mentioned. All in all, while Blastoise can only work on specific teams, it suffers a lot from opportunity cost and it struggles against Fairies, Electric pivots and bulky Grass-types, the immense support it can offer to set-up sweepers while removing hazards and in general being a bulky monster should not be underestimated.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor

Scarfed Terrakion is a very good revengekiller as it can easily get the KO on stuff like Mega Lopunny and Mega Gyarados. Terrakion with Scarf is one of the fastest OU pokemon only outsped by Sand Rush Excadrill, RP Sweepers or even faster scarfers. There is not much that wants to switch into a Close Combat if they don't resist it. And even resisted Close Combat does a nice amount of damage even without boosting item
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 117-138 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 123-145 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 2.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Terrakion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly/Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice / Swords Dance

LO Terrakion hits even harder than Scarfed and the switchins are very limited. It is easier to revenge kill than scarf, but anything that switches in that is not very bulky takes very much damage. For instance, Stone Edge can 2hko PDef Mew after rocks damage, which is pretty insane. Hidden Power Ice is for Gliscor and Landorus-T switchins, which both get 2HKO'd on the switchin. Swords Dance can also be used as a late game cleaner after all the fast stuff is already down.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Taunt Lead Terrakion might have gotten worse in ORAS, because Mega Sableye completely fucks this set over, but it is still a good lead as it can avoid rocks on the own side of the field and get up rocks on the other side. Taunt also works to prevent the defog from slower stuff like Zapdos and Mandibuzz. Good teammates for Terrakion are pokemon that can avoid Starmie and Excadrill to spin away the hazards, so something like Gengar or Talonflame are good teammates.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, we've got a ton more now.
Who wants to reserve Mega Pinsir

Also Recreant remove mentions of Celebi, Manaphy, Jirachi, Starmie and Lopunny from the OP. They're all OU now.
Probably missed something but yeah

Oh yeah, we've got a ton more now.
Who wants to reserve Mega Pinsir

Also Recreant remove mentions of Celebi, Manaphy, Jirachi, Starmie and Lopunny from the OP. They're all OU now.
Probably missed something but yeah
Yeah yeah calm your horses fren, I'm getting there. And let's not to Mega Pinsir for now. I assume the Pinsirite will be BL pretty soon, or even OU. I'd prefer to keep that one off the list until it's guaranteed to stay UU or BL.
K fine, somebody do it for now.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah yeah calm your horses fren, I'm getting there. And let's not to Mega Pinsir for now. I assume the Pinsirite will be BL pretty soon, or even OU. I'd prefer to keep that one off the list until it's guaranteed to stay UU or BL.
You'll have to wait 3 months to find out, and BL is still considered lower tier anyway.

SketchUp

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off

Role: Physical Wall / Hazards Control / Being A Frog

Seismitoad fits pretty well in the current metagame because of his immunity to Electric and Water. Seismitoad wins against many common threats like Rotom-W (rotom-w can only burn while seismitoad lays rocks and toxics/knocks lefties off) Thundurus, Raikou (ground type not being weak to ice is very good, but you still take a lot from Specs Shadow Ball) Slowbro (with toxic you win against slack off, water absorb wins against resttalk) Heatran and Landorus-T. It is very nice that you can defeat the latter 2 because they are the most common stealth rock setters in OU and you can put pressure on them immediately, which often ends up in a situation where you have your rocks up. Seismitoad's Water Absorb gives it also a secondary switchin into Azumarill and Keldeo, and also prevents them from spamming Waterfall / Scald / Hydro Pump

4 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 76-90 (18.3 - 21.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 102-120 (24.6 - 28.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 105-125 (25.3 - 30.1%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 153-181 (36.9 - 43.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 124-147 (29.9 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 232-274 (56 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 178-211 (42.9 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 264-312 (82.2 - 97.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 91-108 (30.4 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 182-216 (57 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 144-170 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock <-- Offensive Air Balloon
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 396-468 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO <-- SpDef
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 124-147 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 112-133 (34.6 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

SketchUp

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off

Role: Physical Wall / Hazards Control / Being A Frog

Seismitoad fits pretty well in the current metagame because of his immunity to Electric and Water. Seismitoad wins against many common threats like Rotom-W (rotom-w can only burn while seismitoad lays rocks and toxics/knocks lefties off) Thundurus, Raikou (ground type not being weak to ice is very good, but you still take a lot from Specs Shadow Ball) Slowbro (with toxic you win against slack off, water absorb wins against resttalk) Heatran and Landorus-T. It is very nice that you can defeat the latter 2 because they are the most common stealth rock setters in OU and you can put pressure on them immediately, which often ends up in a situation where you have your rocks up. Seismitoad's Water Absorb gives it also a secondary switchin into Azumarill and Keldeo, and also prevents them from spamming Waterfall / Scald / Hydro Pump

4 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 76-90 (18.3 - 21.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 102-120 (24.6 - 28.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 105-125 (25.3 - 30.1%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 153-181 (36.9 - 43.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 124-147 (29.9 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 232-274 (56 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 178-211 (42.9 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 264-312 (82.2 - 97.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 91-108 (30.4 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 182-216 (57 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 144-170 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock <-- Offensive Air Balloon
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 396-468 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO <-- SpDef
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 124-147 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 112-133 (34.6 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
I probably was not being all that clear about Seismitoad in the entire post. To clarify, the reason to use Seismitoad over Gastrodon is Stealth Rock, giving it free rocks against stuff like Landorus-T when they switch out. To continue with Seismitoad, it also has a niche as a rain team sweeper with an immunity to thunder wave. Mega Swampert also has this role, but Seismitoad doesn't take on the mega slot so the rain can use Mega Heracross or Mega Pinsir if they want to smack grass types which are problematic for rain teams.

Role: Rain Sweeper

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast / Rain Dance
- Sludge Wave / Rain Dance / Stealth Rock

I probably was not being all that clear about Seismitoad in the entire post. To clarify, the reason to use Seismitoad over Gastrodon is Stealth Rock, giving it free rocks against stuff like Landorus-T when they switch out. To continue with Seismitoad, it also has a niche as a rain team sweeper with an immunity to thunder wave. Mega Swampert also has this role, but Seismitoad doesn't take on the mega slot so the rain can use Mega Heracross or Mega Pinsir if they want to smack grass types which are problematic for rain teams.

Role: Rain Sweeper

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast / Rain Dance
- Sludge Wave / Rain Dance / Stealth Rock
Don't forget Seismitoad also has Knock Off over Gastro, which can be helpful in hitting Lati@s and other stuff as well as crippling them.

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
I can run Knock Off and Play Rough now :]

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe OR 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Pursuit
- Play Rough / Superpower / Ice Beam

Role: Mixed Sweeper, Wallbreaker, Stallbreaker?

With powerful 150/115/115 offenses, Mega Absol can run a mixed set quite effectively. The secret lies within Absol's near-unresisted coverage of Dark and Fairy, hitting the whole metagame for at least neutral damage bar the occasional Klefki (and Mawile rofl). Fire Blast coming off of an usable base 115 special attack can be used to hit Ferrothorn, Skarmory and (Mega) Scizor, whilst Ice Beam is a decent lure for the likes of Landorus-T, Gliscor, Physically Defensive Garchomp etc. Superpower can also be used to handle Heatran, Tyranitar and Chansey, though Knock Off cripples Chansey enough and Tyranitar is still hit decently hard by Play Rough. Pursuit is also an option to trap Psychic's and Ghost's, most notably Lati@s and Gengar. Lastly, Thunderbolt is an option to hit Azumarill as well as Skarmory.

The speed EVs allow Mega Absol to outspeed max speed positive natured base 111's and below, such as Thundurus and Lati@s. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Absol's offensive stats to hit harder. The alternate EV spread outspeeds max speed Timid Serperior and everything slower. It is to be noted that the user can raise Absol's special attack EVs in order to net OHKOs on Skarmory and Ferrothorn with Fire Blast.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can run Knock Off and Play Rough now :]

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam
- Play Rough / Superpower / Ice Beam

Role: Mixed Sweeper, Wallbreaker, Stallbreaker?

With powerful 150/115/115 offenses, Mega Absol can run a mixed set quite effectively. The secret lies within Absol's near-unresisted coverage of Dark and Fairy, hitting the whole metagame for at least neutral damage bar the occasional Klefki (and Mawile rofl). Fire Blast coming off of an usable base 115 special attack can be used to hit Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress, whilst Ice Beam is a decent lure for the likes of Landorus-T, Gliscor, Physically Defensive Garchomp etc. Superpower can also be used to handle Heatran, Tyranitar and Chansey, though Knock Off cripples Chansey enough and Tyranitar is still hit decently hard by Play Rough. Lastly, Thunderbolt is an option to hit Azumarill as well as Skarmory.

The speed EVs allow Mega Absol to outspeed max speed positive natured base 111's and below, such as Thundurus and Lati@s. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Absol's offensive stats to hit harder. It is to be noted that the user can raise Absol's special attack EVs in order to net OHKOs on Skarmory and Ferrothorn with Fire Blast.
Nice job; two things.
Forretress is pretty irrelevant, I'd remove that as a Fire Blast target. Consider slashing or mentioning Pursuit somewhere, it's a pretty solid choice.

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Eh ok, I'll make those changes. I was reading through the ORAS Viability rankings a bunch of people were saying Forretress has gone better because Custap berry is back and everything, but it's up to you to decide since I've never used a Forretress before.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I mean, as a custap hazard setter it faces a lot of competition from Skarmory who has Taunt; a pretty solid advantage.
I guess I take back saying that it's completely irrelevant, but you are much more likely to encounter a ferrothorn / skarmory / scizor (add that too imo) on the mid to high ladder as opposed to forry.

Eh ok, I'll make those changes. I was reading through the ORAS Viability rankings a bunch of people were saying Forretress has gone better because Custap berry is back and everything, but it's up to you to decide since I've never used a Forretress before.
Custap Forretress is typically used as a Suicide lead anyway so it is unlikely to be around when Absol is about to sweep. Also, run 240 Spe Positive Nature to outspeed Timid Serperior, which hits you hard otherwise

Skarmory also has brave bird, allowing it to kill itself after it's job is done, stopping defog and rapid spin.
Also forretress is a lead most of the time, while absol is mostly used for cleaning late game.
edit: ninja >_<

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I considered that, do I take stuff out of attack or special attack? I've been using 224 speed my whole life q.q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)