Other Lower Tier Threats (ORAS Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original OP approved by Subject 18
New OP approved by Haunter
OP stolen from ShootingStarmie

Lower Tier Threats
Despite not being OU Pokemon, many threats can thrive in the OU metagame. These Pokemon can fill valuable niches that no OU Pokemon can, and can also catch players who don't prepare for them off guard. The goal of this thread is to discuss the impact that lower tier Pokemon can have in the OU environment. What unique role do they fill, and what makes them so effective in OU? This thread is meant to help uncover hidden gems from some of the lower tiers, and help broaden the constraints that many players put on themselves when building teams. This thread can also be used to maybe inspire you to use something that isn't standard.

Whenever a new Pokemon is posted for discussion, the post must at least include these two pieces of information:
a. What role or niche does this Pokemon fill?
b. What makes this Pokemon effective in the current OU metagame?
You may also post a certain effective set that you think this Pokemon can run, and analyse what makes that set effective.

Talking about your experiences and perhaps providing replays could be beneficial for this thread. If you have any of these, please share for others to see your nomination in action.

A Pokemon that is completely outclassed by another in the same role should not be discussed. Same goes for Pokemon whose role is not valuable, or ones who are too weak to be competitive in the OU tier. After it has been discussed, any Pokemon that people decide fills a valuable role in the tier will be edited into the OP.

As a last note -- what I'm looking for in posted sets:

[sprite]
Pokemon @ Item
Trait: Ability
EVs: EV Spread
[X] Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

[A short description of how the set works -- around a paragraph is good enough]

[Please, no gimmicks. Don't tell me how efficient Jynx was for you. If it's not viable in OU, it's not viable. Try to nominate things from only BL and below, unless it's a rare circumstance that deserves an exception.]
You can only list Pokemon that are both <BL and are listed on the OU Viability Rankings, unless given a special exception. This will filter out the nonviable/non-lower-tier reservations.

Notable Lower Tier Threats:
I have decided to wipe the slate clean from the last thread. ORAS is a far different metagame than XY, and a lot of Pokemon that were once in lower tier are now much higher on the rankings. Go wild!

Mega Aerodactyl - Physical Sweeper
Dragalge - Special Wallbreaker

Mega Glalie - Wallbreaker

Rhyperior - Hazard Setter

Rhyperior - Birdspam Counter

Mega Absol - Physical Sweeper

Mega Pidgeot - Special Sweeper

Exploud - Special Wallbreaker

Mega Houndoom - Special Sweeper

Chesnaught - Physical Wall

Tangrowth - Tank

Staraptor - Wallbreaker

Tentacruel - Tank

Meloetta - Mixed Sweeper

Politoed - Weather Support

Hippowdon - Wall

Hawlucha - Physical Sweeper

Kabutops - Rain Sweeper

Kingdra - Rain Sweeper

Porygon2 - Tank

Hydregion - Mixed Attacker

Goodra - Special Wall

Alolololol - Tank

Zygarde - Set Up Sweeper

Gourgeist - Tank

Brongzong - Hazard Setter

Suicune - Set Up Sweeper

Quagsire - Unaware Wall

Cresselia - Wall

Magneton - Steel Trapper

Dugtrio - Support (Trapper)

Shuckle - Hazard Setter

Mega Beedrill - Physical Sweeper

Doublade - Physical Wall

Empoleon - Special Wall

Azelf - Suicide Lead

Entei - Wallbreaker

Mega Ampharos - Tank / Pivot

Venomoth - Baton Passer

Scolipede - Baton Passer

Frosslass - Suicide Lead

Amoonguss - Wall

Cobalion - Support

Mienshao - Physical Attacker / Pivot

Gorebyss - Support

Mega Swampert - Swift Swim Sweeper

Haxorus - Stall Breaker

Toxicroak - Physical Attacker

Slowking - Wall

Crawdaunt - Wall Breaker

Mega Sharpedo - Late Game Cleaner

Pangoro - Physical Attacker

This thing looks dumb (Slurpuff) - Sweeper

Weavile (Physical Attacker)

Togekiss - Stallbreaker

Alakazam - Special Sweeper

Mega Blastoise - Hazard Removal

Volcarona - Special Sweeper

Ditto - Transformer

Terrakion - Physical Attacker

Seismitoad - Physical Wall / Hazard Control

Tyrantrum - Wallbreaker

Reuniclus - Set Up Sweeper

Gastrodon - Physical Wall

Mega Pinsir - Set Up Sweeper

Wobbuffet - Revenge Killer

Infernape - Suicide Lead

Honchkrow - Wallbreaker

Heracross - Wallbreaker

Mega Heracross - Wallbreaker

Mega Medicham- Wallbreaker

Diggersby tho- Wallbreaker

Emboar- Wallbreaker

Mamoswine - Physical Attacker

Cloyster - Set-Up Sweeper

Kingdra - Rain Sweeper

Stallbreaker Pidgeot

Noivern - Special Attacker

Mega Gallade - Physical Sweeper

Last edited:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Trait: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 Atk / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Fire Fang / Earthquake / Aqua Tail
- Ice Fang

Role: Physical Attacker

Aerodactyl is INSANE. I actually have no idea why this thing is UU. I get that opportunity cost is an argument, but Mega Aerodactyl is almost always worth it. Apart from Mega Heracross, it is my favorite Mega Evolution, because it is low-risk and high reward. Aerodactyl is great because it OHKOs many new Mega Evolutions, namely Gallade, Sceptile, and Lopunny, and deals ridiculous damage thanks to Tough Claws. Mega Aerodactyl also serves as check to Talonflame, being 3HKOed with the given spread, and also outspeeds slower Dragon Dance users such as Gyarados and Mega Altaria, which in itself is amazing. To further is all more, Mega Aerodactyl's amazing offensive coverage will almost always provide it with perfect neutral coverage that most of the time will essentially have a Life Orb on it thanks to Tough Claws.

tl;dr Mega Aerodactyl beats top-tier threats and hits very hard

I'm gonna write one myself since I want to since it's in the OP and finals suck;;;

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

Role: Special Wallbreaker

Dragalge's Draco Meteor hits harder than Latios.
Oh, you needed more information? Dragalge received Adaptability this Generation, making it, arguably, one of the best special wall breakers in the tier. Its main STAB, Draco Meteor, is only beaten by one thing, which is destroyed by its secondary STAB, Sludge Wave. It 2HKOs nearly the entire tier, and there are practically no safe switch ins. It's got fantastic coverage will all of its moves, and pretty much anything that switches in better pray to Arceus that it can take a hit, which most of them can't. Dragalge is painfully slow though, and a Choice Scarf set still leaves it to be outsped by a lot of things and lacks the power to hit opponent efficiently.

Last edited:
Recreant By lower tier do you mean UU threats or below, or lower on the viability rankings, aka C+ or lower? Another question, do BL1 mons count as lower tier? I feel they sometimes get lost in the suffle.

Recreant By lower tier do you mean UU threats or below, or lower on the viability rankings, aka C+ or lower? Another question, do BL1 mons count as lower tier? I feel they sometimes get lost in the suffle.
I was hoping things around B+ or lower. However, if something really deserves a mention that's in something higher, like Mega Aero, then you can nominate it. And yes, go crazy with BL threats.

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Double-Edge
- Ice Shard / Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

(When usin' freeze dry, use Hasty Nature w/ 4 evs in SpA)

Really underrated huge threat that can punch big holes in a team not prepared for him, specially paired w/ mzone. Freeze-Dry can be used instead of Ice Shard but it depends what u need, so never think on sendin a slowbr0 without checkin his complete set.

Explosion kills almost an 80% of the meta

this thing is huge

ROLE: Wallbreaker

I always considered "lower tier" as "not OU", not "below A", so stuff like Hippowdon and M-Aero would be fine.

Also, of course you'd put M-Absol in the OP...

I always considered "lower tier" as "not OU", not "below A", so stuff like Hippowdon and M-Aero would be fine.

Also, of course you'd put M-Absol in the OP...
Mega Absol actually got a lot more viable in ORAS, so I now have reason to be its personal fangirl
EDIT: Alright, I'm going to stop commenting so this doesn't get too cluttered. If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me personally.

Last edited:

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass/ Hidden Power Ground/ Hidden Power Fire

Role: Special Wallbreaker/Obliterator/Destroyer of Worlds/Crusher of Dreams/Cute Monster

With Choice Specs, Sylveon's Hyper Voice hits harder than the incredibly powerful Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump, which was already one of the most powerful special attacks in the OU Tier. Pair that sheer power with a good amount of SpDef, this thing is one of the best special wallbreakers in OU.
With many new physical mega-evolutions introduced, such as Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny and Mega Gallade, the presence of physical walls and checks to physical sweepers such as Mega Sableye have grown, leading to a meta where the pink eeveelution can truly shine, with its ability to reliably check these threats.

Sylveon reliably checks the Will-O-Wisp/ Shadow Ball/ Recover/Calm Mind set, as a Hyper Voice OHKO's Mega Sableye, even at +1 SpDef.Additionally, Hyper Voice hits like a nuke to physical walls such as Slowbro and Rotom-W, with a ~90% chance to OHKO the former and a ~94% chance to OHKO the latter after rocks.
This makes Sylveon an excellent fit for the predominantly physical tier. Additionally, Sylveon, even without any SpDef investment, checks notable threats in the OU tier, such as Mega Sceptile.
Practically nothing in the tier eats up a hit from this monster. This cute little pink thing is one of the most underrated threats in the current meta.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch / Roar

Role: Hazard Setter, Physical Wall, Physical Attacker

Rhyperior is in my opinion a solid pokemon to use in OU. Rhyperior can come in on many physical attackers and receive almost zero damage. Rhyperior is one of the best, if not the best answer to birdspam, as it can take on Talonflame easily and can thank any hit from M-Pinsir and OHKO it with Rock Blast. It can set his stealth rocks against many pokemon like Talonflame, Terrakion (Terrakion gets OHKO'd by Earthquake, and only does 55% max with Close Combat, so he doesn't want to stay in) and Gliscor.
The EV spread lets Rhyperior survive a +2 Life Orb Iron Head from an Adamant Bisharp, while still having enough attack investment to deal heavy damage with STAB EdgeQuake coverage coming from a 140 attack stat.

Tips when using it: Don't overestimate its bulk. While 115/135 defenses with Solid Rock is just awesome, it can't come in on pokemon that can threaten it with a super effective attack. Landorus-Therian, Mamoswine and Mega Metagross all can hit it with damage between 45% and 55%, and because Rhyperior doesn't have reliable recovery, you need to make some risky plays to keep him healthy through the whole match.

Good teammates are pokemon that can tank strong physical attacks grass and water attacks and many special attacks, as its special bulk is pretty disappointing. Chesnaught can tank pretty much any physical hit that Rhyperior can't take. It also forms a hazards stacking duo with Stealth Rocks + Spikes. Rhyperior and Chesnaught can take on many physical attackers with the exception of Azumarill, Mega Gallade, Mamoswine and Mega Metagross. Ferrothorn (252/88/168+ spread) can take many special hits and just like chesnaught, it can lay spikes to make a nice core. A third one is also a spikes setter: Skarmory. Skarmory sets spikes, takes grass attacks like a king and doesn't care about most physical water attacks, while Rhyperior takes the electric and fire weakness of Skarmory very well. Skarmory is in my opinion not a better partner than Chesnaught, but can still make a dangerous defensive core.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Avalanche

Role: BirdSpam counter.

Rhypeior is a sturdy mon that can take hits from birdspam's mightiest powerhouses such as Talonflame and Zapdos. It may have gotten slightly worse in ORAS because so many of the new megas can take it 1v1 at 50% HP like mega sceptile and mega swampert, but it it still a decent birdspam check. Rhype can also set rocks for your team to further hurt most birdspam Pokemon by 25-50% of their total health right off the bat. Avalanche allows Rhype to take big hits and respond with a 120 base power ice move. Earth Blast coverage is self-explanatory. It can also function as a physical tank

Attacking:
44+ Atk Rhyperior Avalanche vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 366-432 (87.1 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
44+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 135-159 (33.4 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
44+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 196-232 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
44+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 217-256 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Defending:
252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 253-298 (59.6 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Gallade Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 231-274 (54.4 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 273-324 (64.3 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 351-413 (82.7 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

He can even survive 4x super effective hits and respond with strong moves. (note that the offensive calcs are with 44 attack investment)

Edit: DAMN IT I GOT GRENINJA'D

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Nasty Plot / Substitute
- Baton Pass

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Role : Physical Wall / Bulky Attacker

Celebi has always been very underrated threat in OU, and with ORAS it got even better, not only dealing with a few of new megas such as Lopunny, Swampert and Slowbro, but also having excellent synergy with a lot of them, specifically Metagross and Camerupt. The defensive set is able to wall a large number of threats including Azumarill, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Thundurus, non-Sludge Wave Landorus-I, Terrakion, Breloom, Garchomp and more, and can easily use more defensive Pokemon that try to wall it like Ferrothorn or Chansey as Nasty Plot or Substitute fodder before passing to a wallbreaker and immediately threatening the rest of the team.

The Life Orb set, on the other hand, takes a more offensive approach. Celebi may only have base 100 SpA, but that can be very deceptive, since backed up with a Life Orb and a Modest nature, Leaf Storm hits like a truck (it OHKOs AV Azumarill for instance). Psychic lets it smack Poison types like Venusaur and Amoonguss, and Earth Power not only provides great overral coverage, but also makes Celebi an excellent lure for Steel-types such as Heatran and Bisharp who often think they can switch in for free. This set, despite its offensive nature, still conserves a lot of defensive utility, checking a ton of threats that are pretty annoying for offensive teams without being as passive as your average Grass-type, making this very good glue for offensive teams.

Celebi is pretty fantastic and doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves, so try it out!

Last edited:

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass/ Hidden Power Ground/ Hidden Power Fire

Role: Special Wallbreaker/Obliterator/Destroyer of Worlds/Crusher of Dreams/Cute Monster

With Choice Specs, Sylveon's Hyper Voice hits harder than the incredibly powerful Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump, which was already one of the most powerful special attacks in the OU Tier. Pair that sheer power with a good amount of SpDef, this thing is one of the best special wallbreakers in OU.
With many new physical mega-evolutions introduced, such as Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny and Mega Gallade, the presence of physical walls and checks to physical sweepers such as Mega Sableye have grown, leading to a meta where the pink eeveelution can truly shine, with its ability to reliably check these threats.

Sylveon reliably checks the Will-O-Wisp/ Shadow Ball/ Recover/Calm Mind set, as a Hyper Voice OHKO's Mega Sableye, even at +1 SpDef.Additionally, Hyper Voice hits like a nuke to physical walls such as Slowbro and Rotom-W, with a ~90% chance to OHKO the former and a ~94% chance to OHKO the latter after rocks.
This makes Sylveon an excellent fit for the predominantly physical tier. Additionally, Sylveon, even without any SpDef investment, checks notable threats in the OU tier, such as Mega Sceptile.
Practically nothing in the tier eats up a hit from this monster. This cute little pink thing is one of the most underrated threats in the current meta.
B-b-b-but Sylveon's OU still...

I said things from B+ or lower were fine. Sylveon is B- at the moment.
It's still OU, thus it's not a lower tier threat (yet). That's where my original question came from, when you implied Aerodactyl was too highly rated for the thread near the beginning even though it is UU. The old thread didnt seem to use the viability thread as a benchmark and the archive only contained things BL or lower. I mean it's fine if you are going in a different direction, but the initial impression to me is that this thread will highlight things like Politoed, Hippo and Rhyperior (aka A- level UU and RU threats) as opposed to Zapdos and Dragonite (B and B+ level OU threats).

It's still OU, thus it's not a lower tier threat (yet). That's where my original question came from, when you implied Aerodactyl was too highly rated for the thread near the beginning even though it is UU. The old thread didnt seem to use the viability thread as a benchmark and the archive only contained things BL or lower. I mean it's fine if you are going in a different direction, but the initial impression to me is that this thread will highlight things like Politoed, Hippo and Rhyperior (aka A- level UU and RU threats) as opposed to Zapdos and Dragonite (B and B+ level OU threats).
Well, my bad, I guess that would be a bit confusing. I suppose I'll take Sylveon out of the OP for now, mainly just to avoid any arguments.
EDIT: Yeah, yeah I fixed it. Go wild with this I guess. The B+ thing was an idea that didn't work out, move on

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I'm disagreeing with the notion of B+ or lower. If this is supposed to be lower tier threats, I feel it should be limited to BL and below. Feel free to disagree, it just seems weird calling sylveon a lower tier threat while it is still technically OU by usage.
Edit: somewhat ninja'd

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Absol actually got a lot more viable in ORAS, so I now have reason to be its personal fangirl.
And as I said, go ahead and delve into A- territory, it's just there's not a lot of stuff there that really deserves more credit then they already get. Mega Aero and Hippo would be fine, but things like Tyranitar and Gliscor that were once A+ don't need mentioning.

EDIT: Alright, I'm going to stop commenting so this doesn't get too cluttered. If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me personally.
No, I shall be Mega Absol's personal fanboy, taking the spot from you

jk

Another thing about Mega Absol is that there's this thing called Mega Sableye that really doesn't like facing it. Deals really heavy damage to Mega Sableye with Play Rough (or you can set up on it and OHKO with PR if you run Swords Dance) while Mega Sableye can't burn you. Basically:

Absol @ Absolite
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough / Baton Pass

Role: Physical Sweeper / Professional Mega Sableye Fucker-Upper

This set got a lot more viable in ORAS. Using Mega Sableye as setup bait helps, as does being able to run Knock Off and Play Rough on the same set now. Beyond Mega Sableye, what on stall can... Do something to this thing? Skarmory with Counter is all I can think of, and even then, is that really that hard to wear down? Chansey is damn near OHKOed with Eviolite and can't exactly do anything back except... Seismic Toss? Hahaha. I mean, maybe they'd have Clefable, and you'd have to worry about that. But anyway, I digress, really, what gives this set a niche is being able to set up all over Mega Sableye, which is on... Uhh... Every stall team? There are still some threats you'll have to wear down or eliminate, like Skarmory and Clefable, though. In particular, I like Taunt Heatran as a teammate as it can threaten Skarmory and wear down Clefable. However, against offensive teams, you're going to have a hard time setting up without dual screens support, but if you do get that, set up and enjoy cleaning up. But hey, at least you can revenge kill that AgiliGross! ... Once you get it down to 61%.

Recreant sorry, I don't have enough knowledge of the mixed attacker set in this metagame to write something on it.

K I'll shamelessly do the mega pidgeot in the OP :]

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ground
- U-Turn / Defog / Roost

Pidgeot is a really underrated threat in OU. It has a really good speed tier, only falling short of greninja by 1 point. Mega pidgeot has a great special attack stat of 135, which is high enough to hit hard with it's STAB move. Hurricane is extremely spammable with it's new ability, no guard which makes everything 100% accurate. Of course this is a double edged sword, because you get to finally hit all your stone edges on it, but pidgeot gets to hit all of it's hurricanes and heat waves. Flying is a great offensive typing, and combined with fire, is very great offensively. Sadly, it suffers from an SR weakness, and has a pretty high opportunity cost. This doesn't stop it though, as it is one great cleaner and sweeper, due to it's decent offensive stats and high speed.
How to use this set. Spam hurricane to break stuff early game, when your opponent switches in a counter, click u-turn and go into a counter / check. Once the opposing team has been weakened enough, get mega pidgeot in safely, and click hurricane at everything that's not a resist, and heat wave at any steel types.

Last edited:

Desuzakiddo

VGCPL Champion

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Overheat
- Surf

Role: Special Wallbreaker

Exploud hits like a truck. Thanks to Scrappy, Its Boomburst can nearly hit everything, and 2HKOs almost any pokémon that resist it with an held Choice Specs.
Here's some calc that show how strong it is:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 135-159 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 146-172 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 147-174 (44 - 52%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 355-418 (92.9 - 109.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 244-288 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

On the other side, it has a mediocre speed and mediocre defensive stats, but they're good enough for outspeed/take some hit from various threat

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
K I'll shamelessly do the mega pidgeot in the OP :]

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Grass
- U-Turn / Defog / Roost / Hidden Power Ground

Pidgeot is a really underrated threat in OU. It has a really good speed tier, only falling short of greninja by 1 point. Mega pidgeot has a great special attack stat of 135, which is high enough to hit hard with it's STAB move. Hurricane is extremely spammable with it's new ability, no guard which makes everything 100% accurate. Of course this is a double edged sword, because you get to finally hit all your stone edges on it, but pidgeot gets to hit all of it's hurricanes and heat waves. Flying is a great offensive typing, and combined with fire, is very great offensively. Sadly, it suffers from an SR weakness, and has a pretty high opportunity cost. This doesn't stop it though, as it is one great cleaner and sweeper, due to it's decent offensive stats and high speed.
How to use this set. Spam hurricane to break stuff early game, when your opponent switches in a counter, click u-turn and go into a counter / check. Once the opposing team has been weakened enough, get mega pidgeot in safely, and click hurricane at everything that's not a resist, and heat wave at any steel types.
The slashes dont really make sense - by having HP Ground in its own slot and HP Grass as the 3rd slash for the 4th slot, you kinda imply that it can run two hidden powers, which it cannot. Not sure what would be the best slashing for the set, but thats up to you.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Role: Wallbreaker

Staraptor is probably the ugly version of Talonflame: no priority bbird, lower speed. Thinking about megas, pinsir probably outclass staraptor with 5 more based speed, a boosted return/qattack and swords dance. But both aren't real wallbreaker. Staraptor with 120 base attack, plus reckless and a choice band can 2kho 99% of the walls in OU. With the coverage normal-flying-fighting can hit neutrally everything, even things able to check the birdspam like rotom w or heatran, thanks to a stab double edge able to hit everything neutral and close combat that everything that resist double edge.

Some calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 237-279 (77.9 - 91.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 352-416 (91.4 - 108%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 172-204 (45 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 412-486 (110.7 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 315-372 (87.2 - 103%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 205-243 (58.2 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Almost nothing is able to switch on him safely, even the best OU walls.
About the nature and the moveset: and adamant nature can be used over jolly, if u don't care of do a speed tie with charizard y, mega gardevoir and mega medicham, for more stallbreaking power. Instead of uturn, a stab quick attack can be used for revenge killing or final gambit for nail skarmory.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do something on M-Houndoom. Reserving this post until I write it. Whenever that is, sometime today, I swear.

Houndoom @ Houndoomite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpE / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt / Destiny Bond / Sludge Bomb

Mega Houndoom is a very threating sweeper in ORAS. It's a lucky Mega this Generation. It has access to the highly sought after move, Nasty Plot. It's got a great Sped tier, allowing it to outspeed things like Mega Gallade and Mega Metagross. It has two very spammable and high-powered STAB moves, and having Flash Fire before Mega Evolving allows it to switch in freely to things like Will-O-Wisp. It's got a sexy 140 Special Attack, allowing it to OHKO a lot of common threats in OU even with out a boost. It has a hard time dealing with Specially Defensive Fairy types if it's not running Sludge Bomb, however. Its moveset is pretty bare outside of this, however, and it's pretty predictable. But that doesn't mean it's easy to wall.

+2 252 SpA Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 220-261 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 296-350 (98.3 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man

Raikou @ Choice Specs / Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball / Extrasensory

Role: Special attacker, Pivot

Despite its placement in UU, Raikou makes for a great pivot and strong special attacker in OU due to its ability to check a variety of threats such as Keldeo, Thundurus, and Mega Charizard Y due to its high Speed. Sporting Bolt-Beam coverage and other coverage moves backed by a great Special Attack stat, Raikou can hit all Pokemon in the tier for at least neutral damage. The given Speed EVs outspeed Thundurus, the fastest threat Raikou needs to outspeed. With a Choice Specs, Raikou acts as a powerful wallbreaker with an extremely strong Volt Switch to pivot out into teammates. With an Assault Vest, Raikou better checks special attackers at the loss of power.

Last edited:

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Ice / filler
-Knock Off
-Earthquake / filler

Role: Tank / Mixed Wall / Checker Of All The Shit

In this powerful, fast paced, Lando-T-infested, Mega Sableye, arguably garbage meta, it is hard trying to check everything. NOT WITH TANGROWTH ABOARD THO! AV Tangrowth is that mon that you can slap on your team and not have to worry about Keldeo, Thundurus, Mega Diancie, Mega Swampert, Excadrill, Azumarill, Breloom, Slowbruh, .jpegLandorus-T, Rotom-W, Garchomp, and a long list of others. It has great mixed bulk and decent offensive stats. In addition, it has the movepool of a god and Knock Off. I repeat, it has Knock Off. <--

Now what makes Tangrowth effective? Um did you just read the shit it checks, lol?

But seriously, AV Tangrowth is pretty great in OU because: It consistently is able to check OU threats thanks to its bulk and its coverage coupled with Regenerator.

If you are having team troubles, it probably needs more Tangrowth.

Edit: Relaxed --> Sassy Nature

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)