favorite vidya games

i love it
gameplay so good
art so good
music so good
story so good

let's take a great game, update the graphics, modernize the gameplay, and add a shit ton of extra content

ok

a great, great, incredibly deep strategy game that had nearly infinite replay value, i'm still playing it today
it's also aged very well, the graphics look great for a 10 year old game

oh and The World Ends With You and Chrono Trigger are awesome

FFXIII and XIII-2

Honestly, I'll never understand why they got most of the crap that they did. The story was pretty good, the fact that characters got developed is nice, and the actual final boss was predictable to a point, but was still actually surprising.

Just to piss so fanboys off, 13>7. There, I said it.

Yoshi's Island

My favorite game of all time. It was the first game I had ever beaten the final boss on (still haven't gotten to world 6's bonus level :( ). It has the best soundtrack out of any game I've played.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

OH MY GOD, SO MUCH REPLAYABILITY!!! The lack of mention of this game in this thread suprises me quite a bit. This game caught me off guard at first because I believed it was going to be a rail shooter, which didn't really make much sense. The game has an amazing soundtrack and absolutely amazing multiplayer. I still recommend this game to everyone who doesn't already have it.

Will edit in pictures later, I'm just too lazy right now.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
FFXIII and XIII-2

Honestly, I'll never understand why they got most of the crap that they did. The story was pretty good, the fact that characters got developed is nice, and the actual final boss was predictable to a point, but was still actually surprising.
I'm playing it right now so I'll tell you.

The characters are developed very well it is true. It is a shame they aren't in a different game. But that's all the game has to offer. For 8 straight chapters there is no plot, just character development as the characters run down hallways. The game isn't fun, it plays like chunky chicken soup. JRPGs are all about small and quick rewards over time. The problem with FF13 is that non-boss fights can take an average of two minutes in some areas, and it takes forever to make meaningful progress with the crystarium. When the plot is actually introduced in Chapter 9 it has some huge holes in it.

It's funny that you'd say it's better than 7, when almost half of it is ripped from 7 in a desperate attempt to make Final Fantasy hyped again.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.

Plok

A rare and overlooked platformer for the SNES. Plok is charming and spunky with a unique style and dynamic gameplay. The levels start out pretty tame, but the difficulty constantly increases until you're cursing and pulling your hair out trying to beat that one level. Oh, and you can't save your progress. At all. Not even with passwords. It's also loaded with secrets and shortcuts, so you'll likely have to beat the game a few times before mastering it completely. The soundtrack is phenomenal. Since I'm no music guru I can't really describe it, so I'll just provide a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ODKKILZiYY&feature=related

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Fantasy XIII was so terrible it made me quit playing video games for 8 months and I've never really recovered from it.

Got this game for Christmas a couple of years ago, and it's easily become one of my favorite games of all time. The add-ons are pretty fun to replay, too. (Not a big fan of Dead Money, though.) Also has multiple endings, which make you want to finish the game repeatedly with Legion, Mr. House, NCR, and Yes Man just to see them all. (I've only finished with Legion and Yes Man, the latter of the two having a bit of a funny ending, but I'm not going to spoil it here.) Only problem I have with it, however, is that it freezes sometimes, but that's kind of a non-issue. All in all, one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Other Mentions:

Madworld
No More Heroes
Borderlands
Custom Robo
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Star Fox 64

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

The perfect JRPG (action RPG not turn-based). Amazing story, good characters, plot twists (not overdone), quite possibly the most innovative battle system ever (uses the mic, D-Pad, touchscreen in every way possible, etc.), and SO.MUCH.POSTGAME.CONTENT. You'll spend 20 hours on the main story and 200 on the extras (k maybe not 200 but still a whole lot).

Charming game, although a bit too easy. Challenge runs of this game are why I still play it to this day. The story's awesome, the partners are cool, and there's enough humor to keep anyone involved on their 1st 2nd 3rd 42nd playthrough.

Battle Frontier. That is all.

Take normal 9.5/10 Super Mario game except the developers spent 30 minutes on the story instead of their usual NOTHING. Best Mario title yet.

This is one of the most replay-able games ever. Amazing story. Not just for a Pokemon game, but for any game. You will cry at least once. And it has top-notch gameplay. Can get repetitive at times, but this game has the story to force you to finish.

Okay, yes it's a Flash game (turn based RPG), but don't write it off yet. In fact, that should make you want to play it more because it's absolutely free. It's in three parts (eight are planned so you get a cliffhanger at the end since the story's incomplete) but you won't feel let down at the end at all. Great music (even though it's in MIDI it perfectly captures the mood of the levels), SNES-style graphics, masterful writing. Let me go on about the writing a little: it puts Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door's writing to shame. This game is not just funny, it's drop-dead hilarious and dead serious at the same time. It's a 50 hour story (without sidequests) so you'll sink some time into this one, but you will not be able to stop playing. With sidequests this game will take you weeks to finish. It will be worth your time, though. Well-done bosses, ~11 party members (you use four at a time) each with unique skill sets, etc. The most impressive thing about this game (series?) is that it is completely made by one person. It's ~50 hours of your life well spent. (chapter 1's about an hour at most, chapter 2's about seven hours long, and chapter 3's over forty. Your saves transfer between chapters as well!)

Honorable Mentions:
Every Mario and Luigi Game- the funniest group of games you'll play in a loooong time.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl- Didn't have the lasting appeal that I thought it would have but what can I say it's a great game either way. Nintendo REALLY fucked up the online though.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Really fun game. Light humor in an otherwise serious game, standard Zelda gameplay (read: perfect gameplay), controls are a bit iffy but that's about all the flaws I can find. Also has cool story (bro).

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift- Yay tactical game with the grids and the mages and wizards and stuff.

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. I've only done one of the endings so far, but damn it was good. A bit annoying if you get the same ending twice on two playthroughs, though. It might be useful to resort to using a SPOILER-FREE guide just to make sure you're not going down the same path twice.

Just played a second ending and WHAT THE LIVING MINDFUCK IS UP WITH THIS CREEPY-ASS GAME NEED TO GET THIRD ENDING?1/!??!!

POPPING IN TO SAY I LOVE IMPOSSIBLE CREATURES AND STILL PLAY IT ALSO

basically age of empires with mutant animals. best is dart frog/whale, massive with crazy range

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. I've only done one of the endings so far, but damn it was good. A bit annoying if you get the same ending twice on two playthroughs, though. It might be useful to resort to using a SPOILER-FREE guide just to make sure you're not going down the same path twice.
I will never forgive you if you don't finish playing it to get the true ending. You really need to get to the true ending to really understand and appreciate the awesomeness of this game. I just replayed it all the way through the other day and man it gave me the chills. I am really pumped that they're releasing a spiritual sequel soon.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow:

Arikado and Soma are still two of my favorite characters of all time (go figure.), the gameplay is just godly and addicting, the orgasm of exploring the huge castle, getting lost, and looking at the map for 10 minutes to find a door you haven't opened yet.. Just amazing. I know there are a lot of good Metroidvanias out there, but I liked this one the most.

Hotel Dusk/Lost Window:

The two only games that I played JUST for the story, and not the gameplay. Even though the gameplay was very cool. Basically, it's like reading a novel, except that you control the main character instead. The story is touching, and the character development is so good that you can actually feel their pain.

Pokemon SoulSilver:

Spent 358 hours on it and still not bored, my favorite remake of all time. The only game that made me truly addicted.

Metal Gear Solid 3:

Do I need to say anything.

The Witcher 2:

Even though this game pisses(pissed) me off so much because of how hard it can get, I still love it. It taught me patience because of how many times I had to restart from point 0 and start a quest all over again.. The story is so interesting, and the whole game is kind of very complicated, but this game is still a masterpiece.

Zelda:

No certain Zelda, I like them all equally really.. except for Four Swords Adventures as I consider it the worst GameCube game, and maybe AoL because I couldn't stand it. If I had to choose one Zelda game though, it'd be TP or AlttP.

Fire Emblem:

Same as Zelda, I loved all the Fire Emblem games I played equally.

I'm really surprised to see a lot of you mention mystery dungeon. I played the first one and didn't think it was bad, but when you weren't following the story and just doing regular missions it got so repetitive. I never purchased any of the sequels so I don't know how good they are. I would say based on other spin-offs mystery dungeon seems to be the best. Kinda makes me think about buying conquest to see how that plays out.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

basically age of empires with mutant animals. best is dart frog/whale, massive with crazy range
+1

Though I wouldn't compare it to AoE at all. Just because they're RTSes doesn't mean they're the same. Impossible Creatures is unique in that it's one of the few games that allows you to customize your troops.

FFXIII and XIII-2

FFXIII gameplay is too linear which is why it gets most of the bashing. The characters aren't too memorable either. Lightning memorable, but only because shes the face of FFXIII. Sazh no, Snow no, Hope no, Vanille I came to appreciate more because of her story, Fang most memorable imo in FFXIII.

I just got FFXIII-2 recently and it was surprisingly good. I really liked the character development in the game and I came to really like Noel because of his past and experiences. Top 3 Final Fantasy character in my book.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm really surprised to see a lot of you mention mystery dungeon. I played the first one and didn't think it was bad, but when you weren't following the story and just doing regular missions it got so repetitive. I never purchased any of the sequels so I don't know how good they are. I would say based on other spin-offs mystery dungeon seems to be the best. Kinda makes me think about buying conquest to see how that plays out.
the first mystery dungeon was p good, but yeah, it got quite repetitive i'll give you that. What the second mystery dungeon (t&d) added was a greatly expanded, better and faster paced storyline (although the Stupid Is The Only Option got a little frustrating in the first third or so), more characterization of you and your partnermon, tearjerking, and better mechanics. I haven't got Sky, but from what I've heard it takes T&D and makes those even better.

Resident Evil, played every single one, its too easy to be addicted to playing it.

Oh and also Final Fantasy X was pretty damn awesome, storyline was awesome even though some of the characters I'd rather them not be there but the graphics were amazing (for that of course..).

In no particular order...

Unreal

There was something UNREAL (see what I did there) about it back then, which I feel no game has replicated well to this day. Great graphics (for its time), creative weapons, impressive AI and that amazing sense of being alone on an alien planet without it feeling artificial - I mean, they've managed to mix in sort of Aztec and Medieval architecture in a sci-fi setting and pull it off believably.

Dungeon Keeper

Probably one of the most creative management/strategy games ever made, and it was really fun as well. No direct control over your creatures and their moodiness made it that much more enjoyable, and combined with the grim humour of the game, it was a classic. The sequel was very good as well, but the gameplay seemed a fair lot slower and simpler.

Serious Sam

Its a simple game really, you get a gun and kill all bad guys then move onto the next area and repeat. What makes it stand out is the number of enemies you fight at the same time, with masses of baddies charging at you at almost all times. Both First and Second encounter are brilliant, while BFE is really, really good. I'd give 2 a skip though.

Favorites (in no particular order)​

WOOOOOTTT. I can't speak highly enough of this game. RTS with a futuristic flare. (this does not involve earth in any way, as it takes place in a different sector of the milky way, except for the United Earth Directorate, a task force actually sent by earth, and the fact that the original terrans were from crashed prison ships launched from earth.) The terrans speak with drawls, the creepy crawlies can mutate faster than most known species, and the mysterious psionic aliens aren't dead because of said swarm of creepy crawlies yet. (Has anyone else noticed that the high tech race of psionics always gets wiped out by a swarm of bug-like creatures in futuristic real time strategies?) ) I find it pretty tough to top this as far as RTS games go. (Also, the expansion pack is coming out soon, and it centers around my favorite race :DDDDD) This game also sold over 3,000,000 copies its first month. As a side note, click on your units too much and you will receive some of the funniest quotes in the history of RTS games. (Blizzard almost always does that)

Most of us probably know what metroid is, so I will be brief: This. Game. Is. Awesome!! Like starcraft II, it's in the future, so you get cool gadgets. An incredible mix of FPS and open-world adventure. You'll be hard-pressed to find a significantly better one.

Yet another Metroid game. It's like the first, except with different weapons and a storyline that is just as cool. [From what I have heard, the developers actually got help from the guys who made Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for part of the storyline because they had already done a game (the aforementioned zelda game) with light and dark worlds in the storyline]

Ah, SSBB, how many sweat and hours people have poured into you just for beating up animated characters and unlocking your secrets... The parties with friends people have had, the mindless button mashing and mind-dulling fun people have had with you, and the girlfriends people have lost because of you... We will never forget..... That is all.

Honorable mentions

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: A great game, but it didn't live up to its predecessors.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2: Obviously great games, but I have never been a huge fan of mario. The games are still really good though, they have just never "clicked" for me.

Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords: A great futuristic turn-based strategy, but I have always preferred RTS.

Civilization 2: Another great game, but it just didn't make the cut.

Civilization 4: Yet another great game, except for one flaw: the ai is obviously low-budget, so the computer will rip you off more instead of actually playing better. (A common flaw in many strategy games.)

Chrono Trigger: A very solid RPG. Very fun as well, but like Civ 2, it just didn't make the cut.

1. Pokemon- Who doesn't want to enslave powerful animals and force them to battle each other for money and entertainment? Who cares about animal rights. I especially like Pokemon Platinum.
2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood- The gameplay is simply amazing. Climbing up buildings and running from rooftop to rooftop already makes this phenomenal. Combine it with assassination and stealth elements and you get one very worthwhile game.
3. Grand Theft Auto 4- The sandbox world is well done, with so much to do. The plot is actually complex, and you can make choices at certain points about who to kill. The main character actually had a motive besides just being a two-bit gangster.
4. Final Fantasy X- Story was great. Gameplay was good with the Sphere Grid allowing you to customize characters. Only thing wrong was that some bosses were insanely difficult to kill.

RODAN

Banned deucer.

hi so i just got this game

and hamachi if anyone wants to fuck around or something yea!

bidyo gamz

No particular order.

Golden Sun (series)

Amazing games. People bitch about the dialogue and the easier difficulty, but fuck them. GS1 and GS2 are probably my two favorite games ever. The graphical style, the battle mechanics, the story, the puzzles, and holy FUCK the music. All of it just fits together so well. GS3 was a little disappointing, although I still feel like it's a very good game overall. I'm hype as fuck for GS4. I hope it'll be tight.

Dark Souls

This game is just too good. I've spent hundreds of hours on it, and beaten it a ton of times. Yeah, it has some problems, but they don't even come close to affecting the game for me. The mechanics and controls work really well. They're a lot like Monster Hunter, where they feel terrible at first, but once you get used to them they work so fucking well. The world and the lore, the bosses, the music. Jesus christ I love this game. I also enjoyed Demon's Souls, but to a much lesser extent.

Rocket Knight Adventures

By far the best platformer I have ever played. The controls are rock solid and the music is amazing. The game looks fantastic too. It's a shame the HD sequel wasn't very good, though. I've played both Sparksters, although never finished either. I intend to eventually play Sparkster (SNES) all the way through, though, as that version's very close to RKA in gameplay, while the Genesis version is more like Rocket Knight HD.

Monster Hunter (series)

I got into MH with Tri on the Wii. I've got 500+ hours clocked on that game and spent many summer nights on skype with friends playing until the sun came up. The combat and mechanics may seem clunky, but god damn they work so well once you get used to them. Grinding has never felt so fun to me before I played MH3. I've tried playing Unite afterwards, but honestly the outdated mechanics and countless reskinned Rathian and Diablos clones left me incredibly dissatisfied. But then Portable 3rd came out, and oh baby. Tri with more content, more weapons, and portability! Shout outs to Adhoc Party for making that game even more hype. I'm super excited for Tri G, and am hoping like fuck that it comes to the west.

Journey

Man, this fucking game. This is really one of those games you gotta play to really get. Yeah, it's short as fuck, maybe only 2-3 hours max for an entire playthrough. But fuck, the experience is just so worth it. Meeting strangers along the way, jumping and flying around using your call and helping your friend out. It's just so... amazing. The game is so beautiful to look at, and every run I enjoy it just as much as my last. I really recommend everyone give this game a try.

---

There are a bunch of other games that I really like, but those are the first that come to mind when I think of my favorite video games.

+1

Though I wouldn't compare it to AoE at all. Just because they're RTSes doesn't mean they're the same. Impossible Creatures is unique in that it's one of the few games that allows you to customize your troops.
i think i just have nothing else to compare it to, i don't play much PC outside of AoE, AoM, zoo/rollercoaster tycoon and this. you have people, they gather resources, you build junk and make freaky things to fight with. i have the urge to go build a new army now

Are you guys playing with mods on IC? I have the 10-creature expansion and Insect Invasion, but I know that all the competitive players left play with Creature Chaos...

I'm surprised at the lack of MArio Kart in this thread. Double Dash was a fantastic game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)