favorite vidya games

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
pogeymanz series, Super Mario Bros. 3, Age of Empires II + expansion, Mushihime-sama Futari, and Crimzon Clover. Too lazy to post box art.

Worst game ever purchased:
Dragon Quest IX. I hated it. My main complaints were that you have to go for long stretches of playtime before you find a save point, the horrible level grind, and the shitty boss fights. I don't play many JRPGs but took this out for a spin because I loved Chrono Trigger.

Honorable mention was the new Deus Ex. I put it down after two hours. It's partially my fault for blindly purchasing it based on positive internet reviews and not doing my research beforehand, since I am not a fan of its genre of games. I would have liked to play through the storyline and I am sure that it is a great game with its merits but it's not my cup of tea. Mainly putting this here because it was $60 aiyeeeeee @_@

locopoke

Banned deucer.
In somewhat chronological order:

Paper Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64. These games were both awesome and I don't think DK64 gets enough love.

Megaman Battle Network (specifically 2 and 3). After skimming the thread, I noticed nobody mentioned these games. I seriously loved every game in this series and I still play them to this day.

Mario Sunshine and Luigis Mansion. I think these were the two best games on the Gamecube excluding Melee. Sunshine had a bright atmosphere with a new concept but still had that Mario 64 feel to it. I also loved cleaning shit up. Luigis Mansion was something really different and some may not like the game that much but I definitely had a lot of fun with it.

Honorable mentions to Smash Bros and Pokemon obviously, especially Colosseum.

Oh yeah and Jump Ultimate Stars, if you like anime and manga then play that game.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
PK's list is amazing. There are three games on it that I have not played, but I thoroughly endorse the rest of them.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

I'd be embarrassed by how emotional playing through this game makes me, but I'm actually completely shameless about it, go figure. This game has a great story, but the story is mostly great because of the characters who populate it. Even completely random NPCs can make you attached to them because of the fantastic, well-localised dialogue. Certain parts of the ending make me cry every time (liek dis if you cry every tiem etc.). A complaint that could be made about TTYD is that it's 'text-heavy', but, well, it's an RPG, and I love RPGs -- I consider it a strength, not a flaw. The RPG aspects of it are my favourite. I enjoy the combat system (the timing aspects are easy but rewarding, which is good because my reactions blow but I completely mastered the system and it felt good) and customisation available through badges and your party. I love the recipe system, and spent ages completing that shit. IDK, I just fucking love it. The game is full of sidequests, and I am all about sidequests. I really loved Paper Mario too, for similar reasons, but I just enjoyed this game more -- not sure why off the top of my head, but it's definitely my favourite game.
Oh my goodness yes.

On the topic of favorite game of all time, I'd have to go with,

Any Halo game not named Wars is worthy of the title, I just chose Reach for the background art.

I've always loved just about everything about Halo. The mythology, the rich scenes and powerful emotions delivered through the video game art. The games really created an atmosphere of how high the stakes were, be it the brutality of the covenant, the very image of the Flood, or the once beautiful wastelands of Reach. Chief as a character is the living embodiment of silent protagonist done right, even if he isn't 100% mute.

Close seconds would include Twilight Princess, Paper Mario TTYD, any Megaman X or Megaman Zero game, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Also I am forever disturbed by the distinct lack of

Ok well
Jak II and to a lesser extent Jak 3 are basically my favourite games ever. Jak II was very hard but very worth it. Good gameplay, good graphics for its time, good plot and cutscenes. Just all-round great game. Jak 3 was pretty similar, and not quite as good, but it fit into the plot nicely and was still a great game.
Donkey Kong Country 2 is a close second. The soundtrack alone makes it worth playing, those tunes haunted me for years after I stopped playing, and the day I discovered that you can download video game music on the internet was somewhat eargasmic. I always preferred this and the original DKC over the Mario games, I think the controls are a bit smoother. Basically the definition of my childhood before Pokemon Silver. I miss my SNES. :(
Crash Team Racing is golden, better than it's sequels and any Mario Kart I've played. Beating Oxide's Ghost in all the Time Trials is immensely satisfying (younger brother then beating all of my times - less satisfying). And on the PS3 I can finally play 4 Player with friends. Sooo much fun.
Pokemon Silver. My first Pokemon game, and basically the definition of my childhood from the year 2000 onward. Maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I feel like the Pokemon games peaked here in many ways. And most the improvements since then made their way into HGSS, which was an amazing game. Touch screen bicycle was one of the smallest but greatest things ever, why'd they take that away in BW. :(
Then there's Brawl. It's hard not to like Brawl. One of the best games for a roomful of people there is. Really top-notch soundtrack too. It gets boring pretty quickly by yourself though.

That probably looks something like my top 5. Although it's occured to me that most of these are old-ish, and nostalgia goggles may be coming into play... Some more recent favourites include the Uncharted series and Rayman Origins.
Oh, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. That is an amazing game I can't believe I forgot it. It's just a really beautiful game, with so much happening on screen. The Minecart levels are some of the coolest things I've ever played in a game. It was also nice hearing remixes of the old DKC tunes a couple of jazzy new tracks for the Rocket Barrel stages.

In no particular order some games that I thought were great and are favorite are:

-Borderlands-OMG I love this game. Playinb with 3 friends tackling the wastelands of pandora was just amazing.
-BatmanArkhamCity-The ending to this day still leaves me with a wow, I didn't expect that impression
-SSBB-Too addicting, especially with your friends
-MegamanBN-It was something about these games that make me play it even today
-Pkmn Gold-My 2nd pokemon game, and I thought at that time it was revolutionary to put 2 regions in 1 haha.
-KirbyAirRide-I spent countless weeks on this with my bro's. A great mp experience and honestly hope 4 another one to be released.
DC Universe-This was the 1st MMO I was actually serious in playing it. There were some pretty great moments for me in this game and got cool friends from it.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but it'd be fantastic if you elaborated a bit on why you like the games...the OP has the right idea but the rest of you...

My all time favorites are as follows:

Far Cry 2: This game gets a lot of flak for the repetition and long spans of driving, and while I'll agree they're valid complaints, these aspects didn't really bother me. Unlocking new guns was a bit tedious at times: effectively grinding for diamonds tends to get a bit tiresome towards the endgame, but, for the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed the "kill a guy in a suit" or "blow up the truck driving in a big circle" missions because they provided a lot of opportunity for different approaches. Some, I'd just ram the supply caravans with a jeep and open fire, others, pick it off with an aptly placed rocket. Sometimes I just walked out in the truck's path and waited for it to pass me before attacking.
The actual missions also had half a dozen ways you could go at them: there's at least two pathways into every area, guaranteed. Full-on assaults were both challenging and entertaining, and sitting on a hill with a sniper picking everyone off was really neat as well. The ability to direct herds of oncoming enemies with fire was also something I've not seen in any other game.

Fallout 3 is also one of my all-time favorites. Few moments in a video game have blown me away more than the panorama you see when first stepping out of Vault 101: that alone convinces me that video games should indeed be considered art. The incredible depth to the game, the enormous number of side quests, the total freedom to do damn near anything and everything, the whole experience is flawless. New Vegas is similar, and even more intricate than its predecessor, but 3 will always take the cake for me. The major thing 3 has is the atmosphere, and your character is entirely deserving of the name "The Lone Wanderer:" the wasteland is so cold, so empty, and you go it entirely alone. The Capital Wasteland is such a hostile place, just isolated pockets of humanity fighting for survival, and you, as The Lone Wanderer, can do one of two things: help them in every way possible, or fuck their shit up entirely.
And no game has proven to have the replay value of Fallout 3, in my experience: currently on my fourth playthrough of the game, and I intend to do a couple more somewhere down the line.

Mass Effect (specifically, the first, and only the first) is another of my favorites. The story was really fun, and the various planets were really enjoyable to explore, certainly better than the sequel's planet-scanning crap. The weapons system was also one of the best I've ever seen in a game: lots of room for customization, and though unlimited ammo seems like total hax in theory, I think the game balanced it rather well, especially since enemies recovered their shields, and you didn't have access to powerful weapons/mods until fairly late in the game. The second game entirely discarded this system in favor of a more traditional ammo-based system that gave you almost no choice in weaponry.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Games:

No layton smh. The Pkmn games are definitely up there, with Sapphire, HeartGold and Diamond being the ones I enjoyed the most, especially Diamond since I thought mons was ending after RSE but it just surprised me and I loved the designs of all the new mons but I guess it's tied w/ HeartGold since it's a bit tiresome to play through over and over now that I've beaten it. Every Professor Layton game is fantastic and it's probably one of my favorite franchises of all time, Diabolical Box is my favorite given that it was my first and the most surprise came with it, but it's only a small tick above the rest; for a game I bought on a whim it was definitely worth it. Unwound Future is great too since it's storyline has a ton of turns and twists as well; but all of them are really equally great. TTYD is another game I bought out of random but I noticed it had mario, I didnt know it was an rpg at first lol, but its definitely one of the best I have played. Mario Kart Wii [fuk blue shell] SSBB and SSBM are all fantastic as well. Colosseum and XD are great and we should have more storyline oriented games like those; Ranger Guardian Signs had a p cool story as well and the capture system was really fun actually. Sonic Battle Adventure 1 [DX] and 2 are also amazing and huge parts of my childhood. Fossil Fighters Champions is also quite fun and enjoyable to play overall and definitely was worth the money I blew on it. All EA Sports games that arent like tiger words pga tour or snowboarding or w/e aa NBA Live Fifa Madden NCAA Football are always solid and I know I'm getting my money's worth; madden's new career mode thing this year looks insanely fun also MVP Baseball come back to meeeeeeeee </3

Perhaps a cliche answer, but I absolutely adore this video game. Every thing of this game I adore, the story, the characters, the music, it is all so beautiful and ugly at the same time.

i dont feel like finding pictures soooo

all the spyro games
crash bandicoot games
mario cart wii
skyrim
call of duty mw2 (my first xbox game and i still play it sometimes :/)
pokemon crystal

i think thats about all of the games that i've actually gone back to at times

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

The Secret of Monkey Island
I adore everything about the Monkey Island series. The characters, the writing, the music, and the graphics. While I have not been disappointed by any game in the series, I feel like the first game is the quintessential Monkey Island experience. I didn't get to play it as a kid, but being able to enjoy it despite it being 15 years old is a testament to how brilliantly written this game is.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
The best 2D fighting game ever produced. While character balance was an issue in this game, the way the engine was designed the better player almost always came out on top despite character matchups. The parry mechanic is a great way to force players to learn how fighting game fundamentals as opposed to rewarding them for turtling or memorizing an effective blockstring.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
I love love love the pacing of this game. The story is one of the best I've seen in a JRPG and the whole social sim aspect of it makes you feel alot more connected to the characters than you would otherwise. The battle system was fun to abuse and collecting Personas was great :D

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I'm going to go on a different tangent and cover some of the games that other people haven't covered. I remember quite distinctly that PM:TTYD, the KH series, the M&L series, the Jak games, and quite a few others were awesome games, but recently, I've really been enjoying these games, A TON:

Persona 3 is a fantastic JRPG. The game is superlong, but the fighting style is simple yet fun. Fusions of Personas and collecting them are what makes this a true gem among JRPGs because it provides almost endless possibilities in ability combinations. It also has some of that sim-style gameplay tossed in there to make things more interesting while you aren't grinding in the dungeons.

Okay, I am a sucker for good visual novels. I've tried to look for Ever 17: Out of the Infinity but can't seem to find any copies for around $100 online ANYWHERE, but this game is just as awesome. Sure, there isn't as much gameplay to it, but the story is a huge mindfuck and you will want to replay it over and over until you get all the endings. This game is also getting a sequel in October in NA, so I am seriously...no SCHOOL GIRL EXCITED. I have no complaints with this game whatsoever, because it kept me on my toes the ENTIRE time.

I picked this game up for the 3DS, and let me just say...even though it is a few years old and I'm a little late on the Tales bandwagon, this game was perfect. No, like seriously perfect. Probably one of my favorite JRPGs because it has real-time fights, has a Fighting game feel to it like Soul Calibur, not too mention it just plain old rocks. The story is superb and well written and the characters are very very real. The only complaint I have with this game is that Luke is a dick during the first portion of the game. Of course it all turns around, but he's still a dick at times.

THIS.

THIS GAME WAS MY CHILDHOOD. (I played other games before that, but this one was like, my very first 3D platformer ever and I loved it with a passion)

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but it'd be fantastic if you elaborated a bit on why you like the games...the OP has the right idea but the rest of you...
Can you really blame them? I think that the notion of "favourite video game" is so broad, it's almost pointless to explain what you consider your favourites without describing your preferences in excruciating detail and giving everyone a window into your soul. At least, that's how it is for me. Every time I consider what my favourite video game is, I can't pick one. Or if I do pick one, it changes very quickly. I could probably list a ton of games and game series I would consider "up there", categorized roughly by genre or something. But it would take a really long time.

So off the top of my head:

Mega Man (2 = 3 > 5 > 9 > 1 > 4 > 6 > 8 > 7, never played 10)
Mega Man X
Final Fantasy (4 = 5 = 6 > 3 > 9 > 1 = 2 = 7 = 8, never played past 9)
SaGa (1/2/RS3, working on 3)
Portal
Ace Attorney (3 > I > 1 > 2 > 4)
Mario (I tend to care more about the old school than the new school, but I can't deny that the NSMB series is cool; also I never really "got" Yoshi's Island or SMRPG)
Final Fantasy Adventure, never cared about the rest of Mana
SSBM
Mother (2 > 3, never played 1)
Super Metroid
Donkey Kong Country (2 >> 3 > 1, never played Returns)
Chrono Trigger

I could really go on and on and on.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you can't explain what you like about something you should probably ask yourself why you like it.

I'll fill in this post with games later.

hands down all time favorite games. i have something like 5 different copies of shadow and i think 3 or 4 of ICO. i could play these games forever and be happy. they're what inspired my entire career choice, which led me to the school i'm at now etc. i don't know what it is about them but they are just incredible games to experience (and the glitches in shadow are lots of fun). and i think they'll always have that "is there something we're missing" mystery about them, more secrets we haven't found.

i played this game so much as a kid, almost as much as i played the banjo series. it's odd and strange, and there isn't a whole lot of plot and you mostly don't know what's going on, but it is a lot of fun. i'm replaying it right now and i have a lot of nostalgia feelings. the camera is just as bad as i remembered

this should have been on everyone's game shelf at some point. i don't really know what else to say about it, but when i was younger i played this for so many hours. 2 player was just so much fun and i could play every level over and over somehow. sonic generations gave me good feelings about this game as well.

i enjoyed this game more than mariokart64 not gonna lie. it was the first game i bought when i re-obtained an N64 for christmas last year. i was really disappointed when conker was not in the DS re-release.

one of the few games i played when i was younger that wasn't on a nintendo console. the digimon games were so great back in the day, and i do own digimon world dawn but it's not anywhere near as fun as this was. 2 and 3 are great as well.

i played the hell out of this one and i still do. i have no idea what's going on or why you're riding a giant rabbit but man it was fun. and difficult. nobody else i know has played this game and most people haven't heard of it which is really stupid because i think it's pretty great.

i still think the best one will always be OOT or MM, but my favorite is wind waker. a VERY close second would be skyward sword. wind waker is actually probably right behind Team Ico in terms of games i just adore. i mean, skyward sword was like.. AN EMOTIONAL JOURNEY somehow. it felt really special to be playing the "origin story", and i'm a huge zelda fan. i was sad, i was happy, i laughed, and i didn't get any sleep in the few days after it came out.

i've raised a lot of great partners in this game. and yes, i do love it more than crystal. i'm not sure why but it really stands out to me and i think it's the only game where i have locations and EV hotspots memorized. so many hours are here...

this game is fucking strange but somehow i love it. i don't understand really what's going on but whatever man just whatever

and i don't want to keep going because i could forever, but agreeing with mario sunshine, luigi's mansion, MKwii, etc.

This is the best wii game that I have ever played. Even better than SSBB in my opinion. The multiplayer feature was amazing and stunning, allowing you to join clans and make friends, and go on quests with others was awesome and so much fun. Definitely my favourite game and is making me beg the franchise to make an english game like this for Xbox 360.

After this I have to admit, Fire emblem something Stones for the gameboy advance was fun. Although it did get a tiny bit dark when you advanced further, it was still a great game that really made me think hard just to save my favourite characters. Truly one of the best gameboy advance games. I miss that generation......

Then there are the pokemon characters, and what can I say? All of them are good! Well, the main ones I guess. The stuff like ranger and dungeon weren't that great. Although the first mystery dungeon WAS fun I guess. It was fun all in all to make teams based off of my favourite pokemon and be able to actually use them in battles and not lose. Now if only they make another one that's 3D.....

1. Monster Hunter Tri
2. SSBB
3. Spectrobes Origins (like pokemon except fiercer)
4. Pokemon White
5. Fire Emblem (Something) Stones
6. Pokemon Battle Revolution (I actually had fun with that one)
7. RSE (duh)
8. Pokemon HeartGold
9. COD Black Ops
10. Mario Kart Wii (-_- I know. DON'T JUDGE ME.)

Okay right now my comp is slow, but when I clean it up I will add pics and shit. Top 5 Games (I have no ''favorite'' per se''

Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Oh god this game. OH MY GOD this game is awesome. It has a story with lots of puzzles, and interesting storyline. First Zelda game I played so it has sentimental value, and the Amabassador program has given it to me once again.

Yoshi's Island for Game Boy Advance: First game I ever finished by myself. I ran through all the world, stomping, and throwing eggs. The ending is great, and the stroyline is awesome.

Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon: The whole franchise, I love it. It's the only spin-off of Pokemon I actually enjoyed. The adventures, the battling, the script, the realization you get when you realize a Pikachu and a Totodile can beat a enraged Dialga, Palkia, and Darkrai.

Pokemon Platinum: Awesome game. It just is. I loved it, and I will play it at any opprtinity I can get. I'm actually getting one tommorrow. And I am going to play the SHIT out of it.

Pokemon HG & SS: Remakes of awesome games? hell to the yes! I always liked 2 regions. And the pokemon that appear on both of them. The graphics were amazing. How you could see your favorite pokemon beside you. That was awesome.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: This game. introduced me into the Marvel Universe, and my favorite character ever, Deadpool. The storyline is awesome. The graphics and the amount of heroes to choose from. I loved it. Played every day.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire

This is with little doubt in my mind the hardest game I have completed 100%. It's a great game to look at, controls splendidly, and has interesting level design. Plus there are a dozen party games to try with friends if challenge mode has you screaming in agony. The little rainbowy magic spell chant in the story mode cutscenes never fail to put a smile on my face!

The only reason that this game is not higher on the list is because of bad memories of this game mercilessly beating the ever living crap out of my seven-year-old self. Now that I can fairly easily beat the game in one sitting, I have realized what an awesome game it is. The dungeon and overworld layouts are brilliant, and there are just so many secrets in the game waiting to be found. I've subconsciously set this game to be the one to compare all others to, which is probably why I am such a picky person. One more thing: Link as a bunny.

It is very nice to see a game that has so much polish, you can see your own reflection. This game follows the tried-and-true Mario 64 formula...IN SPACE! The graphics are gorgeous, the controls are smooth, and the music is the best I have ever heard in a video game. Even the game's story (the least fantastic part of the game imo) is leagues better than the other 3D Mario games. A very well-rounded game if there ever was one. I just can't find anything bad about this game.

You gotta problem with that? It is borderline embarrassing how much nostalgia I have for this game. To be fair, the other Animal Crossing games almost certainly have this one beat, but I've only played this one. This massive scavenger hunt of a game is just bristling with things to collect and characters to talk to. You can also show your artistic side by decorating your home and your town. Absolutely nothing you do in this game goes unrewarded. If you play your cards right (or...you know...cheat), you can have the ability to play an entire library of classic NES games! That alone makes this game worthwhile. And if you don't like someone, you can hit them with an ax (in an E-rated game, no less)!

Oh Wario, what has become of ye? Though Nintendo seems to deny its existence, the Wario Land series deserves to be among the greatest of all time. Each one of these games is widely considered solid at worst, and legendary at best. Being the only game in the series I actually own, Wario Land 4 wins it over for me. Its greatest strength is that it single-handedly demonstrates that a great platformer does not need to be a Mario clone. There are no bottemless pits, no power-up items, no lives to worry about, and no oxygen meters. Instead, the points you collect can be used to buy and unlock things, there is a troll sound test, you can unlock multiple endings, and there is a brutal harder-than-hard mode. This game oozes with creativity and fun from start to finish. Ukurere mitaina tabiwo shiyo...

This is why I love video games. Half of my internet usernames have "yoshi" in it, and for good reason too. Yoshi's Island is nothing like the Super Mario World it's supposedly a sequel to. It is better. The magikoopa Kamek captures Luigi, and the Yoshis of the island decide to reunite baby Mario with his twin brother. This game is in a word "magical". Yoshi's island has top-notch art direction, gameplay is flawless, level design is amazing, the music rocks, and there's much enjoyment to be had for gamers of all skill levels. This game is as hard as you want it to be. Overall, a very memorable game that should not be passed up. You have no excuse not to own it.

It seems that every Let's Player from Chuggaaconroy to BikdipOnABus has done this game (some more than once!), and for good reason too; this game gets the atmosphere spot-on. Playing this game genuinely feels like I'm on vacation. Super Mario Sunshine is gorgeous, and its music is fitting (if not as grand as Galaxy, though there are several great tracks). Level design is overall better that SM 64, but the physics of running around can be on the wonky side (but that's what FLUDD's for)! The hover nozzle is controversial, but it does not detract from the game. Instead, it makes it even more fun to just mess around and see what you can do.

Seriously, do I even need to explain it? I think the following picture sums it all up:

as well as this story.

#2: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

#1: The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm just going to copy+paste from the thread in 2008 as my Top 5 is basically the same. Maybe replace Symphonia with Audiosurf now.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The impact this had on me at 12 years old or whatever age I was at the time is unbelievable. Before this game, all I'd played were very linear games that were either 2D or basically 2D. I had never played a game with an open world before. Reading about it in a Nintendo Power I'd borrowed from the library, I was absolutely amazed. I couldn't phantom how it worked. When they said you travelled from Hyrule Castle to Kokiri Village, I thought they meant there's two spots and you follow a path like in Super Mario Bros. You know, connected by a line... Yeah.

When I got a good report card, my parents took me to Zellers and I remember picking it up. My brother and I beat it together and it took us about 1.5 - 2 years. We got stuck in both Jabu Jabu's Belly and the Water Temple for months. We had no internet so the only help we got was when we looked it up at the library using the computers there. It was an amazing gaming experience.

Good thing I wasn't a fan before though. When the game launched in Canada it was $99.99. I got it for the low low Player's Choice price of $49.99.

2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Fuck you Mario. This is the greatest platformer ever made. Mario never had Blast Processing! As you can see, I was a Genesis kid. I was 4 or 5 years old when my uncle was going to come to Canada. He was staying in Seattle for a month or two before making the move. He asked me what I wanted and I asked for an SNES. He said if I wanted a "Sega". He told me it was like the same thing so I said sure. I wasn't picky. He gave me a Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog and I became an instant fan. I was obsessed with Sonic games.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was my favourite of them all. The multiple pathways, the multiple characters, the amazing level design, the awesome replay value, everything. It was just amazing to me. It even had co-op! It's what got me through my chicken pox in the 2nd grade.

3. Pokemon Red
I didn't have cable when I was in grade 4. I remember my friends always talking about Pokemon. It was the new thing and it was huge. I'd sometimes play on my friends' Game Boys and it was awesome. For my birthday my friend came over and I played his Game Boy and started a new game without saving. Used Charmander because everyone would pick the other ones and I wanted to be different. Got up to Mt. Moon and loved every minute. The next week, I took the money I'd got for my birthday and picked up Pokemon Red. My first game I bought real money and I played through it like 20 times.

Fun fact: My username comes from the nickname I gave my Charmander.

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
This is much more recent. I actually didn't think Melee was too great at first. I thought of it as overrated and boring. Then in the 10th grade, I started leaving my GCN at my friend's house across from school. We'd go after classes and play sometimes. One of my friends picked up some advanced techniques. Then we picked up on it. Then a huge number of our friends all started playing regularly again. It's an awesome, awesome multiplayer game and I've had a ton of great memories playing it. I thought Brawl would replace it for sure on this list, but a bunch of issues to do with the game and how old I am made that impossible. Harder to get together after school each day when you all go to different universities, different jobs, and different majors.

5. Tales of Symphonia
To be honest, Vesperia is a better game in every objective way, but I just really really loved Symphonia. Abyss is also probably a better game if I looked at it from an objective point of view. Symphonia was my first Tales game. It was probably my first real traditional jRPG. I mean, I'd owned a Genesis, N64, and GCN. Not the greatest RPG systems. I never had Phantasy Star on my Genesis and my NES broke down so fast it didn't even count. The real time battle system just grabbed me. I spent the entire summer of 2004 playing it I think. It was just before I started buying too many games to really keep up with my backlog. I still remember printing out a sidequest FAQ after finishing the game and just going through it all. Damn good memories.

Well here it goes, I can't really put them in any order because they are all so great.

Borderlands

^Seriously so fun, the characters are funny then plot is nice, until the ending. Most of all the weapons seal the deal when it comes to replay value.

Cave Story

^ Surprisingly serious plot with a few heart wrenching twists. One of the greatest plat-formers ever. Plus it's free.

Portal 2
Both Portal and Portal 2 have amazing stories, voice acting and gameplay. I have a soft spot for Portal 2 because I played it first but I recognize the original Portal as the start of a great pair of games.

Mirror's Edge

Wow oh wow this game. I love the gameplay, it's so satisfying to make it through the challenge, if you can do it gracefully then that's extra points. The characters are developed alright, Faith, the main character was the most interesting, of course. The appeal lies in the atmosphere of the city, the bright white and glass of a future society add to the experience. The sounds in this game are phenomenal, the breathing, the cars, etc. I could gush about this game all day.

Team Fortress Two

I really don't know how Valve does it but all of their games are high on my list. I have over 400 hours on this game, just because it's so much fun to play. Trading is fun, getting hats, etc. Lobbying is fun, playing competitive-esque matches as is pubbing, playing on public servers. The character classes are great, each is unique while balanced to help support the team. The fact that you have to work together to win is what sets it apart from other first person shooters and it's not all about KD.

Star-Wars Battlefront 1

Not a ton to say here other than that this game is so much fun, sniping is probably my favorite activity here, even more so than TF2. I am not a huge star wars fan but this game is inexplicably awesome

Pokemon Emerald

The third installation in my favorite generation of Pokemon, Third Gen, lol. This game contains so much nostalgia it's insane. I didn't know how to save when i first played sapphire, so I kept changing my starter between Mudkip and Torchic. Needless to say I still have my original level 100 Swampert from that game. The battle frontier is what made me love emerald the most. The battle factory was endlessly playable and consumed hours of my time. Many don't like third gen as much as the first two, but I love it to death, Sapphire was my first video game ever, so haters gonna hate.

Shadow of the Colossus

Not only is this one of my favorite games, it also includes one of the most mesmerizing sound tracks known to man...The story is incredible as are the graphics, for the time anyways. This HUD is small, unobtrusive and well thought out. While the main character lacks much of a personality, it becomes more like you playing in the game yourself, the colossus retain a grandeur unlike that of any other boss monsters. I was obsessed with this game for a while, now it has turned into a love of the artistry.

As you can tell I'm not much of a Nintendo fan. I didn't have a console when I was growing up, my first game system was a GBA, while the GB-SP had been out for a couple years.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

I feel I have to put this one here solely because of the sheer magnitude of time I put into it as a kid. I have like 2400 hours of game time on it and for a good while it was the only game I played. For me Brawl was a step back, the action seemed slower paced and none of the modes really interested me. I think it was mostly because my friends all played Melee as well and we'd try to out do each other in pretty much every mode in the game which made me keep coming back to it.

My favorite racing game of all time. The sense of speed is incredible. The first day I got the game my friends and I played it for 18 hours straight. It was that good. Trying for Gold in every race was a daunting accomplishment, but it was really cool because if you got stuck on one event there were like 10 others that you could do. Variety and innovation really separated this from the other racers of that time. There's little in life that is sweeter than the feeling of hitting an aftertouch takedown. I ended up losing the disc a couple years back, so I bought it on Xbox Arcade and am playing through it again.

I was taking tennis lessons at the time and saw this on the shelf and I knew I had to have it. Unfortunately my RL tennis skill dropped off while I played it but it was worth it. It had a good selection of characters (I wish they put Shy Guy in other games D: ) and solid controls. The main draw was playing with friends of course, but the computer was surprisingly fun to play against and didn't have that cheap feel that some sports games have. I actually lost the cartridge to this game too, and haven't been able to buy a new one :(

Dunno how many of you guys played this, but this is my all time favorite RPG (sorry Pokemon) and I really can't explain how good it is. This had it all; captivating story (kinda cheesy but I was like 13 at the time and thought it was amazing), cool battle scenes (at the time) and a huge world to explore. Think of Wind Waker's ship but driving it around in the sky, battling other ships (which was awesome) and generally just being a badass. I played RPGs in the past, but this one really hit the concept home for me and made me realize just how good they could be.

This game basically introduced me to video games in general, I think I was about 5 when I first played this on the NES. I liked it more than the original because of the cartoonish graphics and the fact that Mario could fly! Aside from number 2 (which technically wasn't Mario), SMB3 had the most innovation in terms of the different worlds, the costumes Mario could use (frog suit <3 ) and the secrets in the levels. It was also the first game I beat. My NES eventually broke down, so I bought the GBA remake of the game and was addicted to that for a while. I ended up playing so much that I could do speed runs of all the levels. The thing that separates this one from other newer Mario titles is I keep coming back to it. Most of the other games I played to beat it and then put it away, but these levels have such excellent replay value. Just a classic in every way possible.

Honorable mentions:

Dinosaurs For Hire (Genesis), Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Pokemon Yellow/Silver/TCG Game (GBC), Everquest 2 (PC), Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC), Star Tropics (NES), Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2/3 (N64/GC), Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis), Tetris Attack (SNES)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)