favorite vidya games

so I'm always curious about people's favorite video games and it's a question I ask others pretty often. although no me gusta this forum I figured there was no other place to put it (BESIDES ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION GET A SIMPLE ANSWER!). also as far as I know there hasn't been a thread like this before so....

What is your favorite video game?

You can have more than 1 answer if you wish. A brief description would be nice saying why it's your favorite or what appealed to you the most in the game. I'll start.

I played this game a lot as a kid. I believe it was my second M rated game behind "True Crime: Streets of LA." It was also one of the first games that I found really challenging. I remember parts of it like the maze garden which actually gave me a sense of accomplishment when I found my way through it. Leon (the main character) has sense been my favorite RE character and it's one of the reasons why I'm so pumped for RE6 (RE5 imo was pretty bad).

Kingdom Hearts is my franchise of all-time. That's a really bold statement considering KH has more spin-off games than almost any other franchise. The first time I played Kingdom Hearts I did not know what to expect. I knew it had Disney characters in it based on the cover, and since I watched Disney moves I thought it would be a good choice. LITTLE DID I KNOW IT WOULD BECOME ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES I HAVE (and will) EVER PLAY. I literally fell in love with the story and the characters. Even the spin-offs to me are great, but for here I'm saying KH1 is my second favorite game of all time.

Honorable Mentions (pretty much 3++)
Pokemon RSE
Bioshock
Megaman Battle Network Series
Gears of War
Super Mario World & Super Mario Bros. 3 (both are ranked the same for me)

Worst Games I've Ever Purchased

Pokemon Battle Revolution and Sonic and the Secret Rings. Also Bulletstorm since I got a GoW3 beta developer key and I only purchased Bulletstorm for "early access" to the beta.

The entire game was just so challenging and yet so engrossing. The controls were amazing, the AI for the various enemies was amazing-er. I played it like constantly... I still play it to this day, in the form of Sigma for the PS3. There has simply never been a better game.

Honorable Mentions
I also like Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3. I don't like any of the DBZ cartoons or really anything about the franchise. I can't even really name too many DBZ characters, but Tenkaichi was simply a great fighting game. It was fluid, balanced, and diverse. It's also encorporates 3D fighting imo better than a lot of other games ever did.

Baseball is my favorite sport so obligatory MVP Baseball 2005.

No Real order and this post is big... But its mainly pictures!

Obvious game is obvious

Numbers 1 and 2 were great, great graphics.

Great story, awesome graphics, unique leveling up design, cool weapons, and other simple things make this game one of my favorites.

Easily My favorite pokemon game, orre region is great and I like the pokemon catching concept. The graphics blew me away when I first played.

Really my favorite zelda game. Yes I like this more than OoT. The wolf alternate is what really got me and made me love it so much.

It explains itself.

All of them, every single last one of them from 2d to 3d its a great series.
Honorable Mentions:
Kingdom Hearts 1&2
Tales Of symphonia
others I cant think of
Worst Games I've Ever Purchased:
My Pokemon Ranch
samurai warrior(DS Version)

Definitely my favorite video game franchise. I love games that make you think, and the Zelda games are famous for their puzzles. I also need my video games to be story-driven, and in that category, they certainly do not disappoint. I also love me some good gadgetry.
Specific favorite? I don't really have one.

Second favorite franchise: Pokemon
Random game I like: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (haven't played the first two)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My top 10 games

1. Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game of all time, and is something I hold near and dear to my heart. It's pretty much the only game that qualifies as "perfect" in my eyes and it single-handily restored my faith in gaming (which at the time was on a decline; I became a nostalgia whore). It succeeds in level design, controls, graphics, MUSIC and even story. YES EVEN STORY. I'd argue that Super Mario Galaxy has the best story in any Mario game (excluding the RPGs obviously). Reasons?
-The game has an actual intro, and the stakes have never been higher.
-Bowser isn't fucking around. He kidnaps the Princess and hijacks her castle while using freaky magic to boot.
-The introduction of Rosalina (who actually has a backstory! A tearjerker too) and her relation with Bowser (he stole the power stars and threatens the universssssssssse)

In comparison to other Mario games, the story is just leagues better. The game makes you feel like you have an actual goal instead of it being a journey from level to level for Mario. There are dozen of characters you can talk to, like the Toad squad (each Toad with varying personalities) and random inhabitants from a specific world (penguins, luma, etc). Mario Sunshine does not count. Also eww voice acting. Mario's final confrontation with Bowser was insanely cool too, and we're given an awesome final boss battle and a spectacular ending sequence to wrap things up. Super Mario Galaxy is just "perfect."

(Also you get to play as Luigi, for a completely new playthrough which definitely increased replay ability.)

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

4. Kid Icarus Uprising

5. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker

6. Paper Mario

7. Earthbound

8. Kingdom Hearts

9. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

10. Fable: The lost chapters

~~~

I'll edit that list with fancy pictures and a description, but for now its basically the best collection of games ever >:)

PK's list is amazing. There are three games on it that I have not played, but I thoroughly endorse the rest of them.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

I'd be embarrassed by how emotional playing through this game makes me, but I'm actually completely shameless about it, go figure. This game has a great story, but the story is mostly great because of the characters who populate it. Even completely random NPCs can make you attached to them because of the fantastic, well-localised dialogue. Certain parts of the ending make me cry every time (liek dis if you cry every tiem etc.). A complaint that could be made about TTYD is that it's 'text-heavy', but, well, it's an RPG, and I love RPGs -- I consider it a strength, not a flaw. The RPG aspects of it are my favourite. I enjoy the combat system (the timing aspects are easy but rewarding, which is good because my reactions blow but I completely mastered the system and it felt good) and customisation available through badges and your party. I love the recipe system, and spent ages completing that shit. IDK, I just fucking love it. The game is full of sidequests, and I am all about sidequests. I really loved Paper Mario too, for similar reasons, but I just enjoyed this game more -- not sure why off the top of my head, but it's definitely my favourite game.

There are several other games I would say are tied for second favourite: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Pokémon Crystal Version. These are games I don't tire of and find myself as engrossed by and enchanted by with every replay. Some honourable mentions are The World Ends with You, 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, Animal Crossing, Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All... I could keep reciting for ages tbh, I feel so bad leaving games 'I really fucking liked' out, but that illustrates my taste fairly well, I think. lol

The first four I mentioned (TTYD, MM, WW, Crystal) are my true favourite video games, and I haven't played anything dearer to my heart. That's okay though because I've played those games and to me they are in a class of their own <3

ETA: The worst game I've ever paid money for is Pokémon Channel. I got the Jirachi disc out of it at least ~___~! A close competitor is Pokémon Ranger (I'm a scumbag -- I played it, got my Manaphy, and got a refund on it... which I then spent on Pokémon cards @_@). The worst game I've played is some Neopets puzzle game for the DS. I did it to get items on Neopets and made everyone else around me play it to give me their codes. I sold the items for a lot of Neopoints, because back then they sold for a lot.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The World Ends With You is probably the best game I've ever played. It's challenging, fun, and the story line was incredible. The dual screen fight system was amazing and incredibly unique. If you havent played TWEWY yet you should definitely pick it up some time. I got it on Amazon for like $20, so as DS games go it was on the cheaper side too.

i'm embarrassed to say I forgot about ttyd and it really is a fantastic game. I definitely would put it in my top 10 games of all time.

edit: my buddy dot and I did a playthrough of twewy together and loved it. pretty sure he passed me within hours (even though we were supposed to play it at the same pace) i'm excited for the twewy characters cameos in kh 3d.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

+ All the Pokémon shit and a few others.

Edit: YES Jumpluff! TTYD is the best game.

Favorite video games? I could go on forever, but to make everyone's life a bit easier, I'll go with my top three.

I. Love. This. Game. I literally have over 1,000 hours clocked into this masterpiece. Since 2001, this has been the go-to game for me and my friends. It's fast, fluid, exhilarating, and it's much less thick on the gimmicks than Brawl. Not only this, but it also has incredible depth in its mechanics, if you take the time to master them, making the game not only a fun party title but a competitive fighter as well. It's fun for both messing around and serious matches, seriously one of my all time favorites. Also one of the first games I owned as well.

Since I've bought this game I've beaten it about four times, easily my favorite Mario RPG. I have incredibly fond memories of playing through this game the first time with my neighbor, staying up late solving the intense mysteries of the Glitz Pit, figuring out Doopliss's name, saving the Excess Express, seriously this game was a classic. Great battle system, badge system, a story that is both incredibly goofy and insanely epic, and easily one of the toughest final bosses in a Mario RPG makes PMTTYD one of my favorite games, and RPGs in general. The series has yet to top this one, and I have trouble believing it will. Seriously, chapters 3 and 6 of this game alone put it on this list. So great.

First game I ever owned, and favorite 2D platformer of all time. Seriously, a screaming crying baby couldn't even ruin this game. The controls are flawless and the visuals are timeless. Awesome soundtrack really completes the picture. Plus, it's got some insane replayability if you try and 100% all the levels (I have). I can still remember getting this for Christmas back in the day... *sigh*

Most hated game?

Sonic Heroes. Whatta mess that crap was.

EDIT: MH Tri? Paper Mario TTYD? Sonic Adventure 2? You guys have some seriously great taste.

I guess I can list my Top 10 here, but that's like choosing a favorite child with me:

1. Pokemon White (The one rare game I can go back to and it still feels perfectly fresh, 500+ hours on. It just feels so incredibly... perfect as a game. The pacing is amazing, and the battle system and battling in general just feels nailed the best here. BW2 will probably take the top spot when it comes out tho)

2. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Yet another game that never ever gets old, no matter how much I play it. I'm on my 5th runthrough and still having as much fun as I did my first time. Plus it is genuinely the funniest game I've ever played)

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Probably my favorite platformer of all time, coming from the person who's favorite genre is platformers. Just... everything is so much vastly improved from the original, it's the perfect definition of a sequel)

4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Everything good about this game has already been said, but, yet again, it's one of those games that has so much hidden complexities to it)

5. Super Metroid (Best Metroid IMO, coming from a guy who doesn't even like the Metroid series that much. Just... everything about the game is perfect)

6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (I personally find this miles better than Super Mario World (which I find to be a tad bit overrated), with near-perfect controls, graphics, and music, and one of the best visual styles in videogame history)

7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Just... the pure genius of this game makes me love it so incredibly much. It probably has the best atmosphere in any game I've played, ever, it's just hard to explain. And I do consider the Ikana area to be one of the best regions in VG history)

8. Sonic 3 and Knuckles (Although I do have a knack for Sonic 2, Colors, and Generations, this is the one where everything clicks for me, with HUGE amounts of content and near-perfect control (I still wish the Insta-shield would appear again, that was one of the best additions in the series imo))

9. Rhythm Heaven Fever (The RH franchise is one of my favorites out there, but this is easily the pinnacle of the series so far. Everything just feels... so satisfying to me, and whenever I play it, it always makes me happy and smile, something rare other games make me feel)

10. Kirby Air Ride (Probably the best multiplayer game invented bar Smash Bros. imo. I could play this game with friends for literally hours, and I have, and still want to play more)

--
This list was very hard to trim down, I left out a whole ton of games that I love very dearly. However, these are the 10 that have had the biggest impact on me and who I am.

Obvious game is obvious

Obviously.

Everything about super Mario sunshine was awesome. (except the voice acting). The FLUDD mechanics / concept was so amazing. It was so freakin cool to have a water pump that talks to you.
I also learned a very valuable lesson from this game:
If you ever encounter a giant graffiti monster, spray it with water. In the mouth.

HOLY CRAP PAPER MARIO THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR

Oh my god, this game was so amazing, not as good as sunshine, but amazing. I just loved the gameplay and the whole concept. The characters were so dynamic and memorable.

Just one more thing about paper Mario.....

*cricket cricket*

Who gets my reference.....?

M&L: Superstar Sega was loads of fun.

Havak I'm going to have to disagree with you 100% on MK Wii. I HATED it. It took luck to a whole new level, but somehow I still played it a decent amount.... :(

I fucking loved Kirby Air Ride! After awhile I mostly just fucked around in City Trial in singleplayer though and got really good at the trials... :x It's no SSBM or even Double Dash!!, but I derived a lot of enjoyment from it too. So surprised but pleased to see it mentioned. :)

What can I say? It's an amazing game.

All time favorite game. I'm still embarrased when my friend has their 64' out and I say "Fuck yeah Paper Mario!" Seriously, this game was great. Always the best RPG I've ever played in my heart. I can name soooo many features in this game that I think are better than modern RPGs. I still remember when I had a Peekaboo badge on the final battle with Bowser and I'm like "HOLY CRAP He has 99 HP???" Ahh nostalgia...

The thing I loved about Mario Sunshine was how much FLUDD opened up the ways you could tackle platforming obstacles. I always loved to find how many different ways I could get to a shine using the different abilities it gave Mario. Sunshine is Mario controlling at his finest imo.

FUN FACT: Did you know that in Pinna Park's Episode 5: The Runaway Farris Wheel, you can bypass the entire climbing gates portion of the mission? That my friends, is the power of FLUDD.

SSBB is a personal favorite of mine, it's just so cool and I legitimately likes the story mode! Aside from that, the previously stated Mario galaxy series and pokemon, easily

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I think people might disagree with me on MKWii. Most people I know preferred Double Dash, but I could just never get the hang of being good at the older Mario Kart games. It wasn't until Mario Kart Wii that I actually became very good at it.. Maybe it's just easier to control and be fast, but I liked that, and I like Mario Kart 7 too but I found myself not playing that already, while I played Mario Kart Wii for years.

I really enjoyed Crash Team Racing, I thought it was better than Mario Kart by some distance. It just felt better to play and it wasn't until MK Wii that I got that feeling in a karting game again.

I'm amazed at the love for TTYD in this thread, I'm so happy more people than just me enjoyed it so much. It is literally a perfect game, a masterpiece. I am so looking forward to the 3DS version reverting to turn-based battles, I hope it lives up to my hype.

Me, I really freaking loved Mario Kart Wii, and this is coming from a person who thinks Double Dash is one of the best GCN games ever. I just think the oversteering bikes were some of the best things added to the franchise.

And it's awesome seeing Sonic Colors getting a listed, I personally find it better than Generations, and it was one of the games I was originally going to list, if Sonic 3 weren't slightly better.

And EDIT: to anyone saying that MKWii is all about luck, so is Pokemon, for the most part.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i could be really cool and google the pictures of my favorite games like everyone else

but seriously i have too many and that would take a lot of time, just scroll up i mean they're basically already all posted

1. MARIO KART DOUBLE DASH. okay this one comes with a little backstory which i will tell here. When I was a little kid (5 or 6 idk) I was poor and mistreated and my parents refused to buy me a GameCube. So literally every day I would go down to my friend's house two doors down the street and we would play his. We played other games, too, like Melee, and TTYD, which we never really got any good at (although when I got my wii i made sure to get these games for it!) But oh my god we really found our groove in Mario Kart. We must have clocked 500+ hours on that game, with me driving and him being the best punching, item throwing son of a bitch this side of the Atlantic. sadly our saga ends with us never beating World Tour in Mirror Mode, even though we beat everything else, and then he sort of lost his interest in video games and we never did beat it. I beat it on my home console, with me driving and my brother throwing items. and i remember yelling at him multiple times, "why can't you throw items as well as Connor did?" oh god brb missing the good old days.

2. PAPER MARIO THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR. surprise errybody!

3. SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE. I will beat this someday!

i could go farther but instead i'll end with:

worst money i ever spent on a game:

Pokemon white (fuck this game. bw2 better be much better)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)