favorite vidya games

I feel like I'm the only poster in this thread who wasn't born in the mid 90s or later and who has owned consoles not produced by Nintendo... Most of these are repeats already, but with good reason. Roughly in the order in which I first played them. Will probably edit the writing in the morning because I think I'm too tired to have written this coherently. Stealing the hell out of pictures already used so I don't have to find my own !

Chrono Trigger

I believe this was the first game I played that I would still consider a great game. There's a few I loved when I first played them that don't appeal to me anymore as an adult, but I still think Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs on my time(a genre this list will have an obvious bias toward). It's not the RPG with the most depth or the best mechanics but it has more charm than almost any other game I've ever played. The story is compelling in spite of its simplicty, the characters are likable, and all the little things in the game are done well to keep you immersed and interested. Great soundtrack, too. The best of a great generation of RPGs, though it aged a lot better than most of its generational siblings.

Dragon Warrior Monsters

I'm not necessarily disappointed in the way history played out and the fact I wound up an administrator at a Pokemon forum or anything, but Pokemon games, while addictive, innovative, and amazing at creating communities and connecting people(which led to its success relative to competitors) were pretty much the worst monster games made.

Dragon Warrior Monsters was the most obvious spin-off monster game attempting to bite at that, given its release date, but it had some unique gameplay options that made it the best of its subgenre. The breeding system in this game was fantastic, leading to a tangible reward from breeding several generations of monsters to get the rarest, most powerful breeds of monsters(not to mention getting the best moves on them) that the ridiculousness of breeding in Pokemon with its hidden IVs and static species couldn't hope to match. The gameplay was simple and repetitive given the massive amount of randomly generated maps in the game, but the process of breeding massive trees of monsters to end up with the good stuff almost singlehandedly made this game the best of the series. There was some fun in hunting monsters down and trying to lure them with meat and the general exploration element(as well as being able to poach monsters from other breeders met in the wild), and some of the games bosses actually provided a reasonable challenge, something Pokemon and Digimon never matched very well.

Busy, busy, busy...

Monster Rancher 2

Like DWM, a game I''ve probably spent 400 or 500 hours with over the years. I actually bought my Playstation for this game as a kid because my neighbor was too much of a wimp to take his MR2 disc out and replace it with a different CD to get info to generate his monsters(which is the monster generation technique of the game) because he was worried it'd ruin his PSX or something, so I bought my own to prove the point. I haven't changed much over the years, I guess.

If I hadn't bought any PSX games after MR2 I think it would have been worth the money. I think this probably gets the title for my favorite game ever. Unlike the other monster games, which were RPG focused, MR2 is a monster raising simulator/strategy game where you tend to only have indirect control of the results(outside of battle, which has an auto mode I wouldn't suggest). Breeding monsters is pretty interesting in a way unique to MR, since monsters have a main breed and a subbreed (like Mocchi/Mocchi is a pure breed, but it could be part Suezo, which would be Mocchi/Suezo, which would make it look like a Mocchi in shape with Suezo-like-traits), and each subbreed would influence the resource regeneration, lifespan, and stats of the monster in question(the breeding system more or less works accurately as far as how alleles work IRL). The amount of variables that influences how strong your monster eventually got like managing tiredness, stress, hunger, training, exploration, and tournaments and the effects they have on the monster's lifespan was really engaging and combat tended to be reasonably challenging if you weren't horrifically overleveled for the class you were in. The Big 4 and the challenge events at the end of the game were surprisingly difficult and made me really work to beat the game as a kid. There's actually still a few monsters I've never had the chance to raise in spite of all the time I've spent with it, which I think says a lot for the game's depth. I can beat the game on one monster now after playing it so much over the years, but still usually do so once every summer or so because it's still amazing after so long. It's too bad this series didn't get more popular in the US, I think a lot of people would have really enjoyed it. Later entries in the series fell off a lot, but the two GBA titles were both excellent(especially the 2nd).

Boasts the most hilarious translation of any game I've ever seen. It's not like, Zero Wing, or whatever, but it's hilariously charming, especially later in the game when you can tell the translators pretty much just gave up. Some of the things the characters say throughout the game are just hilariously ridiculous. The best scene is definitely a really rare one that involves aliens landing, which unlocks Metalner for the player, which is just completely illogically written. I was playing it one summer at Psycho's apartment with his GF at the time and one of our other friends around and we were reading the dialogue of the game like a play for comedic effect and we pretty much completely lost it during that section because of how little sense it made. Lots of "..wait, what?"s.

Digimon World 1

I'm not quite as passionate about this one as the previous two monster games, and this one might not even objectively be better than Pokemon, but I liked it a lot more than any of the individual Pokemon games, anyway. Early in the game, balancing training with exploration and getting the right digivolutions(or in the case of most Ultimates, getting any digivolutions at all) was challenging and fun, and not having direct control of combat kept the game challenging even when it really shouldn't have been. The difficulty of raising a powerful monster nosedives as you get more resources(having enough gold to always use training boosting foods and the training manual is gamebreaking before you even factor in that you can basically get infinite chips by abusing some bad game mechanics and glitches), but the game remains charming enough that it's fun to finish, mostly. Horribly mistranslated, but in a lazy way rather than a funny way.

Pokemon Snap

The most fun game in the franchise. Sure, it didn't test my strategic mind or my reflexes or whatever but it was charming and the sticker station thing at Blockbuster was awesome. Bought this again for my virtual console a month or so ago and it was totally worth it. Has a special place in my heart for being one of the first games I remember completing 100% without any help from the internet or a strategy guide.

Metal Gear Solid

I don't think I really understood what storytelling in videogames was going to be capable of until this game. I actually really hate the gameplay in this series -- while I would objectively call the gameplay good, it just doesn't fit my tastes in genre -- but I suffer through it because the storytelling is amazing. It's one series where I'd really just be happier if it was a movie or a TV show or something, but it isn't, and it's been worth my money every time. MGS1 was one of the first games with full voice acting and it made an excellent script seem far more alive than any other game I'd played to that point. The soundtrack added a lot to it, and it just felt dramatic and terrifying in a way I hadn't seen in a game before. Snake, Naomi, Campbell, and Meryl are pretty fantastic characters that it became easy to care about. The humor is probably the high point of the game, as well as the series... stuff like Psycho Mantis reading your memory card (and that boss fight in general, which is my favorite in any video game ever) makes MGS stand out.

Final Fantasy Tactics

There was a time when this was as or more popular with the group that eventually created this site than Pokemon itself. I dare say if there was multiplayer FFT there wouldn't be a website for me to be writing this on myself. I kinda picked it up from them, and am glad I did. Another horrifically translated game (wait, where's Dycedarg's Elder Brother?), but it the difficulty was pretty challenging the first playthrough(as long as you don't use Orlandu!) and SCCs and such kept it fun on repeats. Surprisingly good plot with the war of the lions and the backstabbing and all of that noise. Some great characters in Delita, Zalbag, Wiegraf, Agrias, etc. Another one of those games I can play through basically an infinite amount of times.

Chrono Cross

I really hated this game the first time I played through it because it wasn't the sequel I wanted for Chrono Trigger, but I warmed up to it over time. It's a fantastic game in its own right, with one of the most complex plots an RPG has ever seen(though it presents it ambiguously enough that it's almost impossible to piece together without outside help... there's a FAQ about it on GameFAQs that I think is nearly as long as the game script). There's a few too many characters, but the alternate dimensions thing allowed for some neat writing opportunities showing different ways characters' fates could have changed as well as some major ones with that region of the world itself. Some really fantastic characters in Harle and Kid, which make me wish the game had focused more on developing fewer characters given how well they did with what they bothered to develop. Some of the more emotional RPG moments with the flashback to the burning orphanage and the fight with Miguel set the game over the top. Also has my favorite video game soundtrack of all time.

Sonic Adventure 2

OK, I'm really straining my credibility with this one but since this was "favorite" rather than "best" I feel good listing this. I totally hear people who complain that Sonic was always way better in 2D, but I only had a SNES in that era of gaming and I had a fantastic time with Sonic on the Dreamcast. Many, many hours playing 2-player and getting As on the missions while raising Chao with my next door neighbor as a kid. I don't think I realized how big my soft spot for this game was until I was playing through Sonic Generations(a great but but not one of my favorite games ever by any stretch) recently and it started bringing memories back. It has its flaws -- shoddy camera, terrible plot/VAs, occasionally frustrating gameplay, pacing issues relative to 2D sonic -- but I loved it, anyway.

Final Fantasy X

I'd have a hard time arguing that this was the best RPG in the series, but it's my favorite. The voice acting hasn't aged well, Wakka is one of the worst characters ever created who's basically an embodiment of everything I hate most in real life, Auron is an overdone stereotypical archetype, Tidus is kind of whiny, but you know what? I love the game anyway. I love the sappy plot with Tidus and Yuna, even though it led to the worst scene in RPG history(the laughing scene). I love Tidus even though he's pretty much a gigantic pussy for the first half of the game. There's some writing decisions that really sell the game for me, specifically the retrospective narration by Tidus, which I think adds a lot of maturity the story would otherwise have been lacking and develops his character some. Even though it was basically completely obvious I somehow didn't see the twist about Yuna Tidus finds out at Home coming, which made it one of the heavier scenes I can remember in an RPG. There's some other really swell scenes like the fights with Seymour, learning Anima, and the assault on the wedding that stand out in my mind. I loved the control of the summons as well, as long time fan of the series I'd always kind of wanted to play as Bahamut so I was pretty pumped to get to do that.

Dragon Age

It's nice of BioWare to save me from the disaster that is modern Square. There's a lot of characters that are kind of the roles you expect them to be... the snarky dark mage, the carefree rogue, that sort of thing, but there's a ton of depth on all of the characters that make them stand apart from the cast of other RPGs. For instance, Morrigan's ferocity is almost unmatched, and the cunning/cutting wit she provides is what you'd expect to go with it, but she has a softer, more vulnerable side the PC sees if they raise her affection a bit that makes her seem a lot more human than most RPG characters tend to be. Alistar, Zevran, and Lelianna are similarly well developed throughout the course of the game, which made playing through a treat... it's rare to have that many characters that come off as a passable humans in one game. The roleplaying elements of the game are some of the best I've seen in an RPG video game (typically you have 3-6 responses to prompts in dialogue that often lead to wildly different results and conversation branches) which made the game one of the most immersive I've played.

Mass Effect 2

I could probably just write the Mass Effect series here, though I think 2 is the most polished entry(at least until they fix 3's ending, which was otherwise a vastly superior game). It has many of the same properties that made fellow BioWare entry Dragon Age great, such as deep, believable character, but there's some things that ME just did a little better than DA did. The PC, Commander Shepard, being a character in his own right helped things a long a lot as s/he winds up being one of the funniest/most "bad ass" characters I can recall ever seeing in a video game. While Mass Effect 1's writing is better as far as the game's main narrative, I really appreciated the gameplay around ME2's ending mission, which I think is still pretty unique among video games. Unlike the rest of the series, party members can die at the end, and whether or not you lose squadmates is directly influenced by the preparations you made in the game up to that point and the decisions you make in the ending. Really makes the ending feel hectic and tense and real, like you have something on the line beyond just trying not to get game over screens, since it is one case where just plugging away through continues isn't enough to get the ideal ending.

Heavy Rain

This one is as much movie as game, but the whole "interactive movie" thing really worked for me. I bought my PS3 largely for the title and wasn't disappointed. Much like what I liked about ME2's ending, the possibility of character deaths kept me engaged(though unlike ME2, HR has no continues at all and all deaths are permanent), and the plot was compelling and well written. I appreciated that the identity of the killer was reasonably predictable based on the evidence in the game but hidden well enough that I didn't really have it figured out when they hit me with it. I found Ethan to be really relatable and tragic, which made it easy to push through the game. The psychological part of the game in the 3rd-5th trials was really interesting, since by then the game has you enough that you're not just doing shit to do it and are actually thinking about the consequences of what you're doing in a fictional world as though it was a real one. Heavy Rain did some things I don't think I've seen another game pull off.

Honorable mentions I'm too lazy to write about: Red Dead Redemption, League of Legends, Pokemon XD, FF4 and 6, Fable 1, NHL Series, MGS4, LoZ:LTTP, Pre-TBC World of Warcraft

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am not going to make a list because it would simply take too long for me to go through and make a list (again). I am feeling too lazy at the moment to make such decisions, But i will go ahead and share with you the latest game to join my list of favorite games

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm not going to list the usual Marios, Metal Gear Solids, Bioshocks, etc. Instead I am going to list the games that are supremely underrated and while wouldn't be in my top 10 favorite games, I wouldn't hesitate to replay or recommend to someone else.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
What the fuck? Seriously? Pretty much every reviewer agrees that it is awfully amazing. By all accounts this game should suck, but it does everything right. The gameplay is the best part, Gears of War with 50 Cent, it plays well and isn't broken like other Gears clones. Weapons are satisfying and the AI is just fine. While not for everyone, the soundtrack fits the game perfectly. One of the more satisfying parts of this game is the taunt button, pressing it unleashes a random taunt from 50 Cent and when you kill someone hitting it adds to your score unlocking more weapons, taunts, and music. Really the only problem with this game is the repetitive boss fights. This all adds up to an extremely solid game that does mostly everything right.

Armed and Dangerous
This was stuck on the Xbox when it was just a Halo playing machine, no one ever bothered giving it a second look. It was a pretty serviceable 3rd person shooter, good level design and tight controls. But what makes this game standout for me is the humor and writing in general. Filled with gems like this the writing was absolutely hilarious. It was also very similar to Ratchet and Clank with ridiculous weapons, like a Shark Gun that shoots sharks and a bomb that turns off gravity.

Timesplitters 2
One word: phenomenal. I think the lack of online play sort of doomed it in an era that Counterstrike and Halo dominated, but the multiplayer gameplay is unrivaled for a splitscreen shooter. Created by a studio formed by former Goldeneye 007 programmers, it had all the required pieces for a great, frantic, and satisfying multiplayer mode. In addition to fast-paced action it also had a level creator to make an endless amount of levels to enjoy. The story mode left a lot to be desired but was extremely varied due to the time travelling mechanic. Grab 3 friends and have a blast playing this game.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
I think this was the best comic book hero game until Batman: Arkham Asylum. Most superhero games have incredible flaws like repetitive gameplay or lack of immersion, but with this game there is no mistaking, you are the Hulk. You can do anything the Hulk can in an open world environment. The Hulk's moves have weight behind the so it really feels like you are controlling a hulking monster that can do anything. Movement and combat is excellent and the story can be interesting at parts, creating an extremely memorable game.

Not in any particular order:

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Growing up I was a Sony kid since few of my friends had a Nintendo 64 (seriously I think barely anyone in the country did), and therefore Crash was my platforming icon rather than Mario. I enjoyed all of the Crash games a lot but in hindsight Crash 2 is the best; Crash 1 is a bit unrefined and Crash 3 has too many non-platforming levels.

Crash Team Racing
Far, far better than any Mario Kart to this day. It completely blew Mario Kart 64 away (unlockable characters! unlockable tracks! an actual adventure mode!) even though Diddy Kong racing was better than MK64 to begin with. Multiplayer was great too (although points off for the multi-tap).

EarthBound
I only really appreciated EarthBound in more recent years since I never owned it for the SNES; and even if I did it would have scared the crap out of me. It's one of the two traditional JRPGs I've ever liked (the other being Dragon Quest IX), and despite having a very simple battle system it is utterly charming and funny. I also enjoyed the slow transition into an eldritch horror story yet still keeping the charm and quirkiness that makes the game so endearing in the first place.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
I love sandbox games. This is the greatest sandbox game ever made. Its scale is still amazing to this day, the humour and satire is fantastic, CJ is a likable main character and the soundtrack is flawless. Honourable mention goes to The Simpsons: Hit & Run which is basically as good with a much more recognisable universe for the kiddies.

Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
Since PS2-era Crash was garbage (although to be fair Twinsanity was actually pretty good) and at that age all I wanted to do was SHOOT THINGS Ratchet & Clank was a perfect fit. As you might be able to tell by the subtitle, I enjoyed the humour in this game quite a lot and the multiplayer was superb. It's a shame the R&C Future series didn't have it (although the HD re-release of R&C 1/2/3 does!)

Team Fortress 2
My IRC channel (which is about League of Legends) is named #tf2. I should not have to explain this any further.

Pokémon Crystal
I might as well round this list off with an actual Pokémon game.

That's all that's coming to mind at the moment but I'm pretty happy with the list.

Guys, this makes me feel I'm young again...

My best are:
1. Monster Hunter series (PSP, Wii)

2. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)

3. Warcraft III (PC) - DoTA

4. Final Fantasy Tactics (PS)

5. Suikoden II (PS)

6. Dragon Age Origins (PC)

7. Civilization V (PC)

8. NBA 2K series (PC, X360)

9. Disgaea series (PS2, PSP)

10. Pokemon RSE (GBA)

Worst: Pokemon BW

I'll have a full list when I'm not tired as anything but this is the best pokemon game ever. Ranger sucks (sorry to those who like pkmn ranger), each of the main series have there faults but explorers of the sky is epic.

When it comes to pokemon games mystery dungeon is the only one to have a storyline, and massive improvements were made between darkness and time to sky. I like the battling sequence and the actual idea of it really, along with a solid post-game it is awesome.

inb4 heaps of hate.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
heres my top 10 (in no order)

[youtube]mnxTVnSTCkE[/youtube]
Super Smash Brothers Brawl is the best party fighting game. the original was a terrific game but brawl just stepped up all the elements ten fold.

[youtube]8fzEGMJordE[/youtube]
Monster Hunter Tri exceptional strategy based action game. well, maybe strategy isnt the word but it has more depth than the usual. fighting huge monster combined with the harvesting of their corpses to make better weapons and armor is addicting.

[youtube]TP_g13yKLbE[/youtube]
Final Fantasy 6's characters are so memorable, its story is great and has some of the finest turn based combat available.

[youtube]GM9c2TscfZU[/youtube]
Xenoblade Chronicles, i dare say, is the best rpg ever. beauitful graphics, beautiful music and beautiful story.

[youtube]nr_g6EXYY5s[/youtube]
The World Ends With You is a good action game with rpg elements. its incredibly stylized and full of unique ideas.

[youtube]qrUy8LMWg20[/youtube]
League of Legends is of the best action strategy games out today. its diverse roster of 99 characters (and growing) and bi-weekly balance and gameplay changes keep the game fresh. with its huge following its become a mega hit to become a much loved e-sport.

[youtube]i_da7DIpKVg[/youtube]
Super Mario RPG bring the marriage of final fantasy and mario together and it works perfectly. you get the turn based combat with the twist of timed hits to keep your eye on the battles and brings the charm and humour of the mario universe.

[youtube]KS0PPLTspeU[/youtube]
Final Fantasy X has a great story and yadda yadda. its a final fantasy game so think ff6 but with different characters.

[youtube]x7c5hyB512U[/youtube]
Super Mario 64 is one of the best platformers that ive played. more praise etc.

[youtube]G4WAzTkE2oY[/youtube]
Dance Dance Revolution is by far the best music/rhythm game. its gameplay has roughly remained unchanged since it came out but the music has continued to be exceptional year after year.

Demon's Souls: Possibly my favorite RPG. Fantastic atmosphere and difficulty, and what most importantly the best combat system in any action RPG that I've played. I also really like the minimalistic way in which the story is told through things other than bog-standard cutscenes and conversations, it reminds me a lot of Bioshock in that regard. Incidentally, Dark Souls is objectively better in some ways but at the same time felt like it took the design philosophy of Demon's Souls and ran away with it (in a bad way), leaving you with a lot more frustrating points. Still great though.

Donkey Kong Country 2: There are a lot of games that could define the SNES era for me (LTTP and SMRPG are also strong contenders) but I think this was my single favorite. Pretty much everything I could ask for in a 2D platformer, with fantastic gameplay, music, and immense amounts of time wasted looking for Bonus Barrels to get to those awesome secret levels because I didn't know that the internet existed. There was a ton of variety and the game never really felt stale either.

Fire Emblem 7: The best of the Fire Emblem formula, with plenty of challenge (both genuine and from that fucking RNG), a huge yet likable cast, and a pretty solid story. Path of Radiance could go here too, the story gets too straightforward/predictable towards the end and and the 3D animations aren't anywhere near as cool as the GBA's flashy sprites but I think the gameplay is probably a bit better. I almost want to mention Seisen no Keifu as a contender too as the whole generations concept is unique and awesome but it really drags at times.

The Witcher 2: Gameplay-wise this is similar to Demon's Souls though not nearly as polished and with more traditional RPG elements. Where it does succeed is story, world, and graphics; the plot is political in nature and manages to remain interesting throughout without the feeling that the main character is saving the day or even at the center of everything that's happening. It's also one of the few games that really pushes current PC hardware to its limits, and it looks absolutely beautiful for it (also unlike Crysis it actually has varied environments and great art design). The biggest complaint I have is that it's not longer, as the story doesn't really feel complete and unfortunately the developer is working on a different project next instead of a sequel.

Megaman X4: Another "best of this series" entry. I've always liked the faster-paced gameplay of the Megaman X games over the slower, X-less Megaman. Really, a lot of the games in the series could go here (7 outright sucks and 6 has some serious issues, but outside of that they're all pretty solid) but 4 added a new playable character with his own style of play and boss weapons and doesn't really have any major issues so I'd say it's a pretty safe choice.

other stuff that I don't feel like writing a lot about:
stuff from this post (some of which I should have just c/p'd)
SSBM: immensely fun party fighter and added a lot more to the series than Brawl
Skyrim/other TES games: Bland combat and story for the most part, but there's nothing quite like that "you can go anywhere and do anything" feel.
DotA/DotA 2: I feel kind of obligated to put this given how many hours I've probably spent playing it
Perfect Cherry Blossom: best touhou game imo, though SA comes in close second. Basically good shmup + best music in any game I've played.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Awkward and unbalanced in retrospect, but it was still immensely fun to abuse Calculators to hell and back.
Portal: a very unique, fun puzzle game with an excellent sense of humor. Portal 2 is great for the same reasons.

I think Synre's list really took me by surprise. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who loved playing Dragon Warrior Monsters. Though it's a shame that it didn't become more popular, I could easily have spent more time playing that than all of the Pokemon games combined - not that I haven't spent a fair amount of time playing those either. At the same time, I'm kind of sad that I'm not the only one who played it. It was fun being the only one I knew who actually played it now that I think about it. It formed a unique part of my childhood that I didn't want to share with anyone else, as bad as that may sound.

Now that that is out of the way, the game itself was really enjoyable. The breeding system was sufficiently intricate and complex but at the same time immensely rewarding. This is one of the things that really sets it apart from Pokemon (where much of the challenge lies within the RNG). The boss battles were challenging and fun and the random NPC players on the map are crazy strong. There was never a point in time where I found the game to be boring. The game was much too fun, even the grinding aspects. I remember resetting just to get 1 HP extra on my starting monster (which was so bad the game must have been trolling >.<). This is unlike Pokemon games where you are basically spoon fed your starter which can solo the elite 4 past a certain level.

Another example is where I try to max out Goldslime's health (it was so low I cried a little inside). To understand this example, just imagine that you can get a Pokemon with 999 max health - this is actually quite standard on most monsters through breeding. Now imagine a monster whose base health is so low that by the time you reach max level it is nowhere near 999. Fortunately, the game provides items that can boost certain stats. Unfortunately, these are quite rare (especially ones that boost HP) and the ones you do find only provide an increase of 1 HP on said monster. Now imagine that this is real... you get the idea.

My most favourite monster in the game was definitely Watabu. It was always with you on your journeys somehow, but never actually with you. So you can imagine the joy I had when it decided to join my party. Looking back, I would never have breeded you, if it weren't for the fact that it was the only way to get the strongest monster in the game... I'm so sorry, please forgive me ;_;

P.S. I also really liked Final Fantasy Tactics (although I've only played the updated version for the PSP). Delita is one of the coolest characters ever invented.

Majora's Mask is a beautiful game that I can always come back to. I just love how... alien it is. And sad (3:20 - 4:22). But everyone has already gushed over this masterpiece already, so I'll just move onto some more obscure games which I love that have yet to get a mention in this thread...

Best puzzle game. It plays something like a progenitor of modern RTS games. Command your real time army of blundering lemmings to reach the end of each level by assigning them skills like building, floating, and even exploding. It's a really charming game with a wide selection of levels, each of which can be solved in multiple ways. Ideally you want to be completing levels as quickly as possible while saving as many Lemmings as you can. The levels come thick and fast in multiple difficulty levels ranging from "Fun" to "Mayhem", with the later stages being absolutely brutal.

There have been many Lemmings games but from what I've played, none of them even compare to the original in my eyes. Maybe it's nostalgia, with some of my earliest memories even being of watching my folks play Lemmings. Or maybe it's because this game is phenomenal and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa just get an emulator and play this...

You can't tell me that you haven't heard of this. Back in the days of the Nintendo 64, Nintendo and Rare collaborated to make so many amazing fucking games it makes my head hurt, but Conker's Bad Fur Day in particular stands out to me. During the early stages of the game's development it was intended to be a kids game and then... something happened. Something magical. It was transformed from yet-another-standard-platformer into a game for adults with some of the most hilarious dialogue ever to grace the N64 (or indeed any console?).

The single player mode is kind of short compared to some of Rare's other platforming adventures, but it's incredible fun while it lasts. The multiplayer, though... I loved that multiplayer to death. We all did. Me and my friends played this game so much that the cartridge began to wear out and the sound card started to glitch (somehow). This was a game loved, cherished, and quoted many a time in my childhood. And don't you dare buy the Xbox remake if you don't want to be severely disappointed, fish out the original if you can.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
ok the problem reading this thread is that every single post i'm like "i need to go back and edit mine now how did i forget that one *facepalm*"

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
one of my biggest faults when it comes to gaming is that i'm a sucker for replaying old games over, and over, and over, and i often neglect the opportunities to play new games that i would probably like, including sequential franchise games that i already KNOW i love!

while this may not be my favorite game ever, it's the first game that ever let me savor the world of final fantasy, and i instantly fell in love. i remember borrowing my friend's nintendo power in like 6th or 7th grade because it had this game on the cover, and i repeatedly looked at the few pages that had images and snippets about the game - different classes, races, the job system to attain other jobs, the huge amount of different weapons and accessories to equip with your character. this game really hit home with an aspect that to me, is to die for - customization.

this was also one of my first experiences with turn-based gameplay, and directional movement on set maps. it forced standards onto what i could do while retaining the ability to use whatever units i wanted, however i wanted - it was an exciting and challenging balance that i was eager to thrust myself into, and see what exactly was my preferred playstyle. this is a game i sometimes get a little tired of after playing it a while (completing a lot of dispatch/MUST KILL X NUMBER OF ENEMIES missions get tiring, but completing all 300 is the best thing), but it's also a game that i feel like i'm playing for the first time whenever i start it. except for all the available jobs sucking in the beginning again.

FIRE EMBLEM

i really have no idea why i even wanted this game. i think i looked at the game cover and thought lyndis was cute, and that hector's axe coupled with eliwood and lyn's sword were an interesting weapon complex, so i was intrigued. this was post FFTA as well, so i think i had an inkling that this game would be another fun unit-customizable fighting game.

not too far off! something that immediately intrigued me about this gameplay was the overworld map that would instantly split to an up close and personal fight scene between two units, and then just as quickly revert back after the sparring was finished. that simple mechanic along with the amazing story, i was so hooked. addicted. fire emblem was one of the gamefaqs boards i would be on all the time, besides pokemon, and one where i had the most fun comparing different teams that people would create and what units they used. i was obsessed with pegasus knights, and girl characters. i just wanted a troupe of badass female fighters. it wasn't until my next gameplay that i did some research and realized that i could only get the best stats if i waited until level 20 to promote my units (duh) and was eager to replay the game again and see what i could do better. the ability to fulfill certain requirements was also attractive - i HAVE to do everything. i also never let anyone die. everyone must finish this journey together. i actually don't think i've ever finished an HHM playthrough yet, which i should really do!!

this is a game i feel like no one else has ever ever played??? seriously, who else played this when NES was all the rage? my first ever system was an NES, and this was one of the games i was most enamored with. looking back now, it was definitely one of the fucking hardest games in the world for that system (besides super mario) and i'm baffled that more people haven't played it. this game has one of the best soundtracks ever, however limited.

[youtube]zq08WnWWv3g[/youtube]

that intro music makes my heart open up and pour out giggles and shivers. so nostalgic.

this game was intense. i've never beaten it. mostly because you can't save, and there is so much that you have to fucking do. usually i would just leave it on and turn my tv off, returning to it the next day, but if you lose all of your three lives, lives which you can never replenish in any way possible, it's game over. and you have to start from the very beginning. no save points or anything. immensely frustrating. the most charming thing about this game was that the entire gameplay was based around finding items and returning them to their rightful places or owners. you would also need to use certain items to travel further into the world of dizzy, like using a squirt gun to spray a dangerous plant or using a plank of wood to build a bridge. dizzy keeps running around unlocking the doors of his friends and family to help them in any way he can, ultimately to find daisy, his lost love stolen by the evil antagonist. i would really love to sit down with snacks and chocolate milk and finish this game one day.

i'm pretty sure this was the first mario game i ever played! or one of them, at least. i of course played the mario/duck hunter combo game, but this one was on an entirely different level, obviously. and i played it with my grandmother. she would always play these old nintendo games with me, and i think it's a big reason why i came to love nintendo so much and continue to be devoted to any system it churns out. i mean, what can i say about this game that hasn't already been said? being able to use different items and gain temporary powers was awesome, the sequential gameplay of worlds and mini worlds you had to conquer to beat the boss world was great, and overall it was a gaming experience unlike any other i had indulged in before, and it was very fun!!!

okay, i MIGHT have played this game before super mario bros 3. just maybe. i loved this game in particular just because it was a mario game that i could play as peach! HELL YES GIRL POWER. the level designs were awesome, much like most mario games, and some of the bosses were pleasantly hard, at least way back when. this game definitely took some finesse to complete, and i was a happy camper to play it. i loved finding the magic potions and eventually figuring out all the right places to put them to get mushrooms or coins, whatever the case may be. the bird head at the end of each level was really intimidating, though.

errghhhh i don't want to end this with back to back mario games so let's see what else do i love UHH

okay hell yeah. while i also grew up playing james bond/golden eye too, i thought perfect dark was most definitely the next best thing. usually my sister, step father and i would play this with like 5 meat sims and then one perfect sim, or whatever the hell we were in the mood for. i loved first person shooters growing up, but probably because there wasn't much prowess needed to be good at them. at least, compared to stuff nowadays like call of duty and the like, which also have more developed plots and story lines. but who am i kidding, i only played the game as far as i needed to to get the best weapons and levels. my favorite weapon is the SLAYER

i loved camping somewhere and just sending out these bombs to insta-kill someone. it was especially fun looking at my opponent's screen and seeing my missile slowly hone in on them. speeding up at full throttle until you collide with their face BOOM.

currently i have a playthrough of fire emblem 6 that i am neglecting due to being fickle and recently having finished ocarina of time FOR THE FIRST TIME. it was very exciting. i need to start playing all the other goddamn zelda games but oh my FUCK THAT REMINDS ME

legend of zelda, oracle of ages and oracle of seasons. hands down (for now) my favorite zelda games of all time, and perhaps favorite video games of all time. also cannot remember whatever drew me to getting oracle of ages (i didn't get seasons until at least a decade later), but i'm so happy that i did. as with any zelda game, it's rife with puzzles and riddles that you sometimes want to throw the game and never bother figuring out, but something especially challenging about this game was all the ITEM searching and swapping you had to do.

most of the time it would seem like a silly sidequest, but at crucial points in the game you would need a certain item, and then you regret never bothering to search around for the items you've already heard about because this lady is never going to give you a scary mask unless you bring her some beef jerky. the weapons you acquire in this game are super duper fun, and it was always exciting playing through dungeons and realizing that you would be acquiring a fancy new item to be able to progress through the place. i'm not sure which of the two games i like more, but i'm trying to beat seasons right now so i can link it to oracle of ages for a more beefy playthrough with higher level items!!! i'll get there eventually, i'm sure.

this is a game i feel like no one else has ever ever played??? seriously, who else played this when NES was all the rage?
:happybrain:

Aaaa, I played this too! I don't think I ever finished it though, it really is a challenging game from what I remember. The lack of save files is pretty unforgiving as this is a game which probably takes all day to get to the end. I usually made it to the dragon before having to turn off my Megadrive...

Great game. One day I will beat you, Zaks. One day. :I

After years, this is still my favourite game ever. The first real game-adventure I went on when I was a little kid, and the game is still fantastic in every aspect (except for the camera, which was a piece of shit)

The best Pokémon game ever? It is, if you ask me. Not being able to catch everything you encountered was a bit annoying sometimes, but the dark storyline and Miror B made up for a lot.

Besides Phantom Hourglass, this is the only Zelda I ever played, and it's still as good as it ever was. Beautiful world, cool dungeons, rad bosses.

In retrospect, I'm glad that PlayStation Network went down for a month, as it meant two free downloadable games. One of the two for me was inFamous, still one of the coolest games I've ever played. It's amazing to glide around Empire City on cables while shooting lightning left and right. Makes me think of Avatar.

There is no denying it; I have put almost 250 hours of gameplay into Skyrim, and I love it. It may not have the depth of some other RPGs out there, but it sure is beautiful, and very, very expansive. 250 hours in, I still found myself discovering new locations. Also, for the more hardcore RPG-players; don't worry, I'm working on Fallout too.

I'd also like to add the Uncharted series and Banjo Kazooie to my list of favorite games. The Uncharted series features amazing visuals along with an enthralling storyline that kept me hooked for hours. Meanwhile, Banjo is probably the best platformer I played on the Nintendo 64 alongside Super Mario 64. I never finished the game when I was younger just because it was too hard for me.

Adding Quake 3 and removing CoD4 replacing it with WaW, the best multiplayer FPS'es out there( Fuck TF2, later CoD's and CS:GO. Source and 1.5/6 are amazing though.)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here are some of my favorite video games:

This was one of the best Need for Speed games ever made, if not the best. I thought the storylines of the Need for Speed games were never really great, but the one in Most Wanted at least wasn't terrible. The gameplay was great; I especially loved how in this game, achieving milestones in police pursuits was a requirement. It made it more difficult than just getting a really good car and kicking everyone's ass. That's what makes this game stand out to me.

I don't care what everyone else thinks. Pokemon Rumble Blast is lots of fun. The gameplay is just so addicting.

Who doesn't think this is a great game?

I like the story, I like the gameplay. I think it's just that whole idea of having to get by without getting caught by guards and such. It's just so unlike anything I've ever played, which only makes it better. Also, "Snake? Snaaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEE!".

That's all I've got for now. I'll probably add more later.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Damn, only two mentions of the Metal Gear Solid franchise. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Metal Gear Solid
because i don't want to censor my MASSIVE PLOT spoilers. if you havent played don't click it because this is 1 plot you DONT want spoiled!!!
This game is so good. I got it pretty recently on PSN, because I'd played half of MGS4 but it made no sense. So, the MGS HD collection came out and I got it for Christmas and then bought MGS1. From the beginning, I was hooked. I remember trying to figure out how to crawl under the pipe. Then, after I figured that out, I needed to get past the guards. I bet I got caught 5 times that first part alone.

Everything about this game means something special to me. I love the dated graphics. It's so polygonal and charming. The character models look so cool. I love how Otacon's glasses obscure his eyes, how the faces are so distorted, I love it! The boss fights are incredible + memorable. "There's nothing like slamming a greased bullet into a well-oiled chamber!". I like top-down Metal Gear.

And the plot. Oh boy. It is almost cheesy, but it walks the fine line on the right side. All of the plot twists! Master Miller being a double agent! Otacon helping you! Grey Fox! YOU ACTIVATED THE FUCKIN NUKE! You and Liquid are twins?! This plot is the best I've ever had in a video game. It also has its tearjerker moments. Meryl's and Sniper Wolf's deaths, in particular.

After ALL OF THIS, throw in crazy amazing gameplay and the most memorable boss fights of my life (Vulcan Raven, Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, Hind D, Liquid Snake), and you come out with the best game of all time.

OTHER GAMES:
MGS2: a lot better gameplay, worse bosses + plot and vamp
MGS3: oh my god so nice! it has such an epic feeling to it, especially the boss fights (which are best in the series IMO). The End is the best boss fight in ANY game. I like the locale and plot more than the other 2 games, and the gameplay is much more deep. Tied with MGS1 for best-in-series.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (and 3d): the best puzzles and the most charm!
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: Again I go rambling on about charm here, but this game has it in spades. Besides being a bit easy, I thought that this game was the perfect handheld game. Lovable characters, great variation of location, and I loved the top-down style and touch screen controls. Also, it looked really fucking good for a DS game.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: Getting all of the best franchises out of the way. Despite what people say, this is a great game and very epic. Not as dark as Majora's Mask, but it was still not the borderline campy affair that was Ocarina or PH.
Star Fox 64: For a while, I was obsessed with my high score on this game. The gameplay is addicting, music is cool, and the story (while pretty much non-existant) doesn't drag the game down too much. I think the story depth is perfect for a game like this.

If you can't explain what you like about something you should probably ask yourself why you like it.

I'll fill in this post with games later.
That's exactly the problem. I could probably go on a long spiel about any of what I listed.

I think these threads are kind of interesting in general because of disagreements between users. You have to wonder whether it's because I've never played his favourite games, or he's never played my favourites. On the other hand, that same trait pretty much destroys all potential for discussion.

Still...

Chrono Cross

I really hated this game the first time I played through it because it wasn't the sequel I wanted for Chrono Trigger, but I warmed up to it over time. It's a fantastic game in its own right, with one of the most complex plots an RPG has ever seen(though it presents it ambiguously enough that it's almost impossible to piece together without outside help... there's a FAQ about it on GameFAQs that I think is nearly as long as the game script). There's a few too many characters, but the alternate dimensions thing allowed for some neat writing opportunities showing different ways characters' fates could have changed as well as some major ones with that region of the world itself. Some really fantastic characters in Harle and Kid, which make me wish the game had focused more on developing fewer characters given how well they did with what they bothered to develop. Some of the more emotional RPG moments with the flashback to the burning orphanage and the fight with Miguel set the game over the top. Also has my favorite video game soundtrack of all time.
Chrono Cross is definitely a polarizing game. I haven't found the plot analysis FAQ that you mentioned, but you may know already that there is a fansite where people overanalyze the plot and post their "results" in smart-sounding articles. But I've never liked the idea of analyzing the plot of a game like this to the extent that some people do. People often get to a level of depth such that they become convinced that their "version" of the plot is the only one that could possibly be close to canon. Then there are people who go around as if their opinions on the Chrono games are superior to others'. I've come to hate much of the hardcore Chrono fanbase for this reason.

The thing that frustrates me about all that is that I think that many of the common complaints levied against Chrono Cross are more than legitimate. The story tries so hard to introduce as many of the 43 characters as it can, that the cohesiveness and pacing suffer greatly for it. Combined with Chrono Trigger, it becomes a storyline so ambiguous and complicated as to foster the kind of negative fanbase I mentioned earlier. Just about nothing I like about Chrono Trigger's gameplay exists at all in Chrono Cross. I'm not even saying I dislike Chrono Cross, just that it's "good", maybe even "great" but I'm not sure I'd put it in my top N JRPG list.

But yes, I mostly agree on the music. I'd put it #2 among the JRPG soundtracks I've heard.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think these threads are kind of interesting in general because of disagreements between users. You have to wonder whether it's because I've never played his favourite games, or he's never played my favourites. On the other hand, that same trait pretty much destroys all potential for discussion.
Maybe cause there are tons of fucking video games, favorite isn't a conveyance of objective quality, and who wants their favorite list of video games to the be the exact same as everyone else?

It's just not grounds for a fist fight. I mean, it's not like anyone has equated Final Fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)