Pokémon Celesteela

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of Autotomize/Earthquake/Heavy Slam/Fire Blast after giving it a try. It's tailor-made for cleaning up games and I've been so surprised.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize

With max speed and a neutral nature you outspeed Pheromosa by one point after an Autotomize. The best part about this set is that it can seal games if the opponent is expecting the standard defensive Celesteela, which often doesn't carry Earthquake. If you Autotomize on a switch to Koko/Magnezone/Heatran/anything frail enough, you can kill them off the next turn and rampage through the opponent's team thanks to Beast Boost. By way of its bulk and typing it can set up extremely easily and hurt offensive teams.

As the metagame develops people might start running HP Ice paired up with Magnezone so that they can break through Lando-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp, all of which make sweeping hard. Giga Drain too could see use although it doesn't do a whole lot to Slowbro without investment. Celesteela's ability to pick its checks is pretty great and will make this thing more threatening once people diversify from Leech Seed a bit.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I've seen similar sets to the one above, except with Z-Earthquake. +0 EQ tends to miss a lot of kills, but Tectonic Rage (thats what its called, right?) is virtually a +2 eq, which suddenly nets you that surprise kill. Once Beast Boost triggers, you can start snowballing and go for a sweep.

I have been thinking of a semi mixed set that also helps set up double residual damage.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 68 Def / 140 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

The stat spread is mainly so she can still do some decent damage with Heavy slam, thats why I put a little extra attack stats into it. Toxic and Leech seed is a heck of a lot of residual damage, And since I am using a Merciless Toxapex(I do mostly VGC/doubles so that would work better then regenerator I feel) this allows me to run baneful bunker on it for a protect move and still have another pokemon tossing out poisons. She should still tank a lot of stuff, and with leech seed and Leftovers she will be constantly healing herself.

This thing feels like the new skarm. I've found the Leech Seed + Toxic set to be incredibly annoying, and it's typing means that only a few things, like Zard and Tapu Koko can really check it.

I don't really understand why people are running physical/mixed automotize sets as it actually loses like half of its weight so heavy slam is less effective (unless it's still heavy enough to still slam most mons at max power or near to there cause I haven't actually ran calls).

As a preface; this rant btw is from my sole experience of the pre-pokebank meta. Anyways this Mon is truly infuriating and I feel it lacks good Pokemon to respond to its good mix of offense and defense. The only real way to kill this thing is through strong electric and fire type moves, but these things are always paired up with electric immunities like maro and forms really solid cores pretty easily. The only real way to reliably kill this thing is trapping it with a magenezone, and even then it's only a counter if it isn't running eq (which is always an ohko while magenezone scores the 2hko unless it's specs) or shed shell. I've even seen pokeaim supporting his shed shell celesteela with his own av Maggy with hp ground to trap and kill it. This things weaknesses are so easy to build around too. I could maybe see the rise of some wall breakers that rip apart cele-maro cores like sub cm chandelure that can deal with both of them pretty easily once it gets in. That's a pretty big if though since it can't reliably switch in, unless you predict a fire move from either of them or a heavy slam/protect from cele. Just the fact that either can run eq and combined with a rocks weakness really makes it so that you need good team support and strong consistent reads. Also it only 2hkos cele with flamethrower/fire blast. Another Mon that could tear this core apart is lo hydreigon (which I literally haven't seen at all surprisingly) with its stab dark pulse and fire blast and can actually switch in often vs these mons being immune to spikes and not being sr weak and resisting most of the moves they go for and then roosting off residual damage. Also a sub dd/coil zygarde can set up on these guys too. The only problem with these wallbreakers is that they can easily pair up with a bulky water, namely tapu fini, and they all get pretty shafted by her.

Tl;dr I think celesteela is pretty busted if you don't have strong answers for her which you can easily build around and I think people should start running shed shell or start running eq and use her as a hybrid offensive/defensive pivot as you don't particularly need protect for extra recovery unless you're a shed shell variant. To be fair there could be a lot better of answers to these cores like rotom-w but I haven't played any pokebank mets yet.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I don't really understand why people are running physical/mixed automotize sets as it actually loses like half of its weight so heavy slam is less effective (unless it's still heavy enough to still slam most mons at max power or near to there cause I haven't actually ran calls).

As a preface; this rant btw is from my sole experience of the pre-pokebank meta. Anyways this Mon is truly infuriating and I feel it lacks good Pokemon to respond to its good mix of offense and defense. The only real way to kill this thing is through strong electric and fire type moves, but these things are always paired up with electric immunities like maro and forms really solid cores pretty easily. The only real way to reliably kill this thing is trapping it with a magenezone, and even then it's only a counter if it isn't running eq (which is always an ohko while magenezone scores the 2hko unless it's specs) or shed shell. I've even seen pokeaim supporting his shed shell celesteela with his own av Maggy with hp ground to trap and kill it. This things weaknesses are so easy to build around too. I could maybe see the rise of some wall breakers that rip apart cele-maro cores like sub cm chandelure that can deal with both of them pretty easily once it gets in. That's a pretty big if though since it can't reliably switch in, unless you predict a fire move from either of them or a heavy slam/protect from cele. Just the fact that either can run eq and combined with a rocks weakness really makes it so that you need good team support and strong consistent reads. Also it only 2hkos cele with flamethrower/fire blast. Another Mon that could tear this core apart is lo hydreigon (which I literally haven't seen at all surprisingly) with its stab dark pulse and fire blast and can actually switch in often vs these mons being immune to spikes and not being sr weak and resisting most of the moves they go for and then roosting off residual damage. Also a sub dd/coil zygarde can set up on these guys too. The only problem with these wallbreakers is that they can easily pair up with a bulky water, namely tapu fini, and they all get pretty shafted by her.

Tl;dr I think celesteela is pretty busted if you don't have strong answers for her and I think people should start running shed shell or start running eq and use her as a hybrid offensive/defensive pivot as you don't particularly need protect for extra recovery unless you're a shed shell variant.
It's not half, it's -100kg. 900 kg still hits like 500 Pokemon for 120 BP or something, and a lot of those remaining 300 are either Ubers, not OU viable, or are weak to one of those 3 moves anyways making the point moot.

It's not half, it's -100kg. 900 kg still hits like 500 Pokemon for 120 BP or something, and a lot of those remaining 300 are either Ubers, not OU viable, or are weak to one of those 3 moves anyways making the point moot.
Oh my bad. Either way I think magearna outclasses it as an automotize sweeper with better typing, speed, and special attack. Celesteela does have higher bp moves over it and better coverage moves though so I can't really be too sure.

Vague

Banned deucer.
zferolie if you want to run a mixed defensive spread just run one that hits a jump point in special defense with the rest in defense + HP. 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD does just that. btw, running any attack investment without an specific reason (such as achieving a certain KO) does more harm than good since you're detracting from your bulk for no reason.

also toxic sets are pretty much delegated to only teams that are super weak to bulky grounds or waters and the extra chip damage would be great for wearing them down early on. otherwise protect is actually a pretty darn cool move on it to scout and stall for a bit of recovery. also plays mind games with hjk users (mainly phero).

also automatize sets are flat out inferior to SG magearna who has just as good of a defensive typing, more power, slightly higher speed, and a deep movepool as well. celesteela would be better off running a band set to abuse it's absurdly powerful heavy slams.

zferolie if you want to run a mixed defensive spread just run one that hits a jump point in special defense with the rest in defense + HP. 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD does just that. btw, running any attack investment without an specific reason (such as achieving a certain KO) does more harm than good since you're detracting from your bulk for no reason.

also toxic sets are pretty much delegated to only teams that are super weak to bulky grounds or waters and the extra chip damage would be great for wearing them down early on. otherwise protect is actually a pretty darn cool move on it to scout and stall for a bit of recovery. also plays mind games with hjk users (mainly phero).

also automatize sets are flat out inferior to SG magearna who has just as good of a defensive typing, more power, slightly higher speed, and a deep movepool as well. celesteela would be better off running a band set to abuse it's absurdly powerful heavy slams.
Ah ok, makes sense. I was thinking that powering up Heavy slam just a bit would be nice.

Well this set of mine has Her teamed up with a Merciless Toxapex, and I wanted a second Toxic'r to be able to get merciless off more without fully relying on Baneful bunker. Plus the team does also have an inceniroar and a Palossand, so I do have 2 water weaknesses. Otherwise protect would be better (Also I can imagine swapping Her for Palossand as Pheomosa HJK... glorious)

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Do we think this thing will be banned? Or is it just a very good blanket check?

Anyway... my set:
Celesteela @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Max coverage, for starters - punishes Heatran with EQ, and other stuff.
Might want wish support with it, idk.
Make of it what you will.

Could mixed be viable? I tried a set with Flash Cannon, Flamethrower, Leech Seed, and Earthquake and actually wasn't awful.

Could mixed be viable? I tried a set with Flash Cannon, Flamethrower, Leech Seed, and Earthquake and actually wasn't awful.
I think in almost all situations Heavy slam would be better, unless you run a modest set. Just the amount of damage that move can do to 90% of the game is insane

I think in almost all situations Heavy slam would be better, unless you run a modest set. Just the amount of damage that move can do to 90% of the game is insane
Good point. I was thinking mixed because it gets good coverage on both ends of the spectrum.

Good point. I was thinking mixed because it gets good coverage on both ends of the spectrum.
I see your point. Bug Buzz is an option, but you lose the ability to pivot. Flamethrower I find is good enough has it gives great coverage to a majority of its checks. Heck a Magnizone switching into a flame thrower would not be happy.

I see your point. Bug Buzz is an option, but you lose the ability to pivot. Flamethrower I find is good enough has it gives great coverage to a majority of its checks. Heck a Magnizone switching into a flame thrower would not be happy.
Here are the options I came up with...

Physical:
Heavy Slam
Acrobatics

Seed Bomb
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Flame Charge

Special:
Flash Cannon
Air Slash

Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Grass Knot
Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Here are the options I came up with...

Physical:
Heavy Slam
Acrobatics

Seed Bomb
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Flame Charge

Special:
Flash Cannon
Air Slash

Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Grass Knot
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
if you wanted a pure mix set, it depends if you will be using leech seed or not. Assault vest is a good item on her with Giga Drain

Heavy Slam, Giga Drain, Earthquake, Air Slash/FlameThrower

How much weaker does Heavy Slam get in general if you use Automize? What KO's are we missing out on here?
I believe the only below-Uber Pokemon it doesn't hit for max damage are M-Steelix, M-Metagross, Mudsdale, Guzzlord, and other Celesteela.

so yeah this mon is a straight WALL man,i struggle to take it down almost every game...can someone recommend a reliable answer to it?keep in mind that i'm referring to pokemon available in sun/moon

so yeah this mon is a straight WALL man,i struggle to take it down almost every game...can someone recommend a reliable answer to it?keep in mind that i'm referring to pokemon available in sun/moon
Spent quite a bit of time trying to find something, and this is the best I've got. Hope it helps.
Naughty Magnet Pull Golem-A with Shuca Berry, 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe with Wild Charge / Earthquake / Fire Blast / Magnet Rise.

Magnet Rise completely shuts down any hope for defensive Celesteelas (plus since it is faster than Celesteela without speed investment and has a Shuca berry, it should be fine switching directly into EQ), and with Shuca it can easily survive offensive Celesteela's EQ (provided it isn't a 252 Atk Adamant at +1 with a Life Orb) and threatens a OHKO back with Wild Charge after SR damage (and still has a 37.5% chance of OHKO without SR).

Outside Celesteela, Shuca also allows it to successfully trap EP Heatrans as long as they lack an Air Balloon. 252 Spe gives Golem-A enough speed to hit the slow bulky Scizors before they can U-Turn away and Fire Blast gives it a 2HKO even against bulky Scizor-Mega, and also allows it to threaten Ferrothorn and scare Genesect (uses anything but U-Turn, Genesect risks getting revenged).

Last edited:

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam

I've had loads of success with this spread to check (you can even say it's a counter) various threats in the meta atm, including notable ones like:

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Celesteela: 152-179 (38.2 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Celesteela: 126-149 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 91.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Celesteela: 149-177 (37.5 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

216 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Celesteela: 149-177 (37.5 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Celesteela: 156-185 (39.2 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've seen similar sets to the one above, except with Z-Earthquake. +0 EQ tends to miss a lot of kills, but Tectonic Rage (thats what its called, right?) is virtually a +2 eq, which suddenly nets you that surprise kill. Once Beast Boost triggers, you can start snowballing and go for a sweep.
I've tried this, and while it may work on certain Pokemon that can't quite be KOed, it also hurts Celesteela's main move and coverage move. I felt the loss of Life Orb was too much sometimes and the extra power pre-Beast Boost was greatly appreciated.

This mon is really insane, though. Having Leech Seed and Fire Blast alone with Steel / Flying typing is pretty legit. The Automatize with Heavy Slam is icing on the cake. I fucking love using this mon because it can snowball really hard offensively and is still a worthy defensive threat.

Last edited:
Spent quite a bit of time trying to find something, and this is the best I've got. Hope it helps.
Naughty Magnet Pull Golem-A with Shuca Berry, 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe with Wild Charge / Earthquake / Fire Blast / Magnet Rise.

Magnet Rise completely shuts down any hope for defensive Celesteelas (plus since it is faster than Celesteela without speed investment and has a Shuca berry, it should be fine switching directly into EQ), and with Shuca it can easily survive offensive Celesteela's EQ (provided it isn't a 252 Atk Adamant at +1 with a Life Orb) and threatens a OHKO back with Wild Charge after SR damage (and still has a 37.5% chance of OHKO without SR).

Outside Celesteela, Shuca also allows it to successfully trap EP Heatrans as long as they lack an Air Balloon. 252 Spe gives Golem-A enough speed to hit the slow bulky Scizors before they can U-Turn away and Fire Blast gives it a 2HKO even against bulky Scizor-Mega, and also allows it to threaten Ferrothorn and scare Genesect (uses anything but U-Turn, Genesect risks getting revenged).
Huge thanks man,i'll definitely try this!Matter of fact,i also considered a-golem myself,but couldn't come up with a proper set,mainly cause i tried to pack a steel trapper and a rocker in one mon.This set actually offers some general utility,too,aside from hitting its main target.

i've experimented on a set of my own:

Celesteela @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpA
Brave Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain/Air Slash

Celesteela aint gonna outspeed noone anyway,so I preferred a bulky mixed set,which takes advantage of her great bulk,even without investment,and excellent defensive typing.Assault vest means that you can take the most powerful super effective hits(LO Salazzle Fire Blast,LO Tapu Koko Thunderbolt) barring Magnezone.Now,the question is what should i choose between giga drain and air slash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)