Pokémon Celesteela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Was just testing out a new team; came up with this gem showcasing Celesteela. Figure I'd leave this replay here for people that were unsure of how it can function.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-527300731
This replay just shows you sacking mons to Steela for no reason. SD'ing with Kartana on the flamethrower and trying ti CM with M-Zam in front of it lol. The team you were using is a good example of how not preping for Steela can pretty much mean an autolose. You should've just gone mag every time he went Steela and volted out into Gren to chip it and then wear it down with dark pulse instead of giving it free boosts with Kartana and Zam

This replay just shows you sacking mons to Steela for no reason. SD'ing with Kartana on the flamethrower and trying ti CM with M-Zam in front of it lol. The team you were using is a good example of how not preping for Steela can pretty much mean an autolose. You should've just gone mag every time he went Steela and volted out into Gren to chip it and then wear it down with dark pulse instead of giving it free boosts with Kartana and Zam
This isn't supposed to be a critique of my play, buddy. This is supposed to show that Celesteela can be incredibly hard to take down. Obviously the level of play that low on the ladder wasn't SPL level, but the fact of the matter remains that replay displays celesteela functions well. If I wanted input on how I played that game, I would probably ask SQSA or start a replay thread. But I didn't.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
This isn't supposed to be a critique of my play, buddy. This is supposed to show that Celesteela can be incredibly hard to take down. Obviously the level of play that low on the ladder wasn't SPL level, but the fact of the matter remains that replay displays celesteela functions well. If I wanted input on how I played that game, I would probably ask SQSA or start a replay thread. But I didn't.
The thing is that game would've gone way differently had you not given it free boosts, you can't say it showcases how hard Celesteela is to take out you weren't doing your best to take it out. It's like uploading a replay of me trying to break chansey with 3 Special Attackers and saying that it shows how Sturdy Chansey is when I have a Pheromosa in the back. I wasn't trying to critique your plays or you as player (apologies if I did) or anything, just saying that the replay you shared doesn't prove your point.

I mean Celesteela can definitely clean up lategame with Sp. Def boosts after the really tough stuff for it to deal with is down, but in most cases it's more like 2-3 mons instead of 6. Your team is frankly not well equipped to take Celesteela down, as it lacks either powerful physical STABs which hit it neutrally or powerful super effective STABs which hit specially. Once Garchomp got burned and Celesteela got a boost you had no answer for it. Better prepared teams can also lose to this sort of thing after they've lost a couple key mons, but a well-built team shouldn't get 6-0'd by it.

I think y'all are maybe confused; I was the one using Celesteela, not my opponent. Regardless, it's not so much supposed to be a matter of who's playing better so much as "this is what happens if you allow a Celesteela to do its thing". The point of posting the replay wasn't to highlight who's playing well or poorly (like I said, it's low ladder, so obv it's not great play); the point of posting was to show why Celesteela is a threat. Yes, that team I faced was woefully ill-equipped for Celesteela. I posted the replay I guess more so as a form of saying to newer players, "Make sure you can handle this threat".

I think that's what the viability rankings are for. You should be looking there to see what you should look out for when teambuilding. This is more for how to use/check/counter said pokemon. It would be ridiculous for new people to click every thread just to find out what to watch out for and what's good/bad.

I think y'all are maybe confused; I was the one using Celesteela, not my opponent. Regardless, it's not so much supposed to be a matter of who's playing better so much as "this is what happens if you allow a Celesteela to do its thing". The point of posting the replay wasn't to highlight who's playing well or poorly (like I said, it's low ladder, so obv it's not great play); the point of posting was to show why Celesteela is a threat. Yes, that team I faced was woefully ill-equipped for Celesteela. I posted the replay I guess more so as a form of saying to newer players, "Make sure you can handle this threat".
Sorry about that.

I made a offensive Celesteela. It works pretty well and it is a threat.
200 EV on attack 60 on speed and rest on Hp/Def/Spdef or whatever pleases you. You can also put more on speed, since somtimes 1 or 2 speed boosts from flame charge doesnt let you outspeed everything.

Ability: Beast Boost
Item: leftovers, sitrus berry. You can put a Z-crystal or anything else you want.

Moves:
Flame Charge: to boost your speed
Heavy Slam: STAB 120 bp
Earthquake: to deal with steal, electric and fire types.
Leech seed/seed bomb: for recovery or for a way to deal with ground/water mons.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-542375121

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-542375121

watch this and see the power of offensive Celesteela!

Last edited by a moderator:
Celesteela @ Metal Coat
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed

I use this set a lot, and it does work. I use Flame Charge to get a speed boost, and type coverage. Automize is another option, but it weakness the damage heavy slam does, and also does not give you type coverage. Heavy slam and earthquake are just two amazing attacking moves. I just put a metal coat to boost heavy slam even further, though it could hold anything,as long as it is not a choice item. If you were to put on leftovers, Leech seed could be replaced with another attacking move,
like double-edge, or brutal swing, as long as it is physical.
Once this thing has 1 or 2 boosts in speed, and 1 attack boost, it is basically unstoppable
What are you exactly "covering" with Flame Charge? It doesn't even 2HKO standard Ferrothorn, a Pokemon that takes 4x damage from Fire... and that's with an Adamant nature, which you are not using.

252+ Atk Celesteela Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 136-164 (38.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

EDIT: Oh, you deleted it.

What are you exactly "covering" with Flame Charge? It doesn't even 2HKO standard Ferrothorn... and that's with an Adamant nature, which you are not using.

252+ Atk Celesteela Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 136-164 (38.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
With a beast boost, it can do some serious damage, and give you a speed boost. Because this thing is a wall, it will problably tank out the next hit. Then you can kill'em.

The Celesteela I run is this:

Celesteela + Leftovers
Beast Boost ( It has no other ability so )
Careful Nature
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Defense / 252 Special Defense ( I put mine more on the Special side in terms of Defense for weakness coverage )
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Toxic

Celesteela has been one of my favorite Pokémon ever since I first saw it, before I even knew it was competitively viable. I'm glad to see it getting some love.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)