Avatar and Signature Commentary/Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher

My ususal Ablock/Ignore solution for Avatars/sigs that I find intrusive does not work here.

Unless we use some voodoo magic to make Signtures count as one big picture so I can adblock those too.

:<

breh

強いだね
Whether or not this is a joke, I'd like to use this thread to state something:

On the topic of avatars in general, I'd be very supportive of a 175 pixel width limit for all members - badged members included, as others seem to be. I dunno about height, though. It's really annoying whenever a badged member feels it to be his or her civic duty to stretch the little bar on the left by adding the most obnoxiously large avatar possible.

I'd also be happy to see only very tiny images (like max of 20 by 20) in signatures, regardless of who is using them. Signatures take away from the cleanliness of a thread and too many images are annoying. Some gifs are funny or cool when you see them the first time, but that doesn't mean that they should waste space below a post.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
I really do not like the removal of these restrictions. It cheapens the privileges that come with earning a badge. I understand the point the administration is trying to make (I think). However, this was taken to an illogical and unfunny extreme. I apologize if my sentiments are unpopular, but these are my thoughts.

You can upload it from your HD, just look at the bottom.
Ah I got it, I needed to use the "insert picture link", that is what I was missing for anyone else having problems.

Also, it might just be from my end up it doesn't seem to upload from my computer at all, I had to use an outside site.

Edit: just as soon at they made sig resrictions...

We can now enlarge our avatar!

I think this is a great thing. I always wanted to use certain avatars but do to the avatar restrictions it made it look dreadful. I do believe we are now going have to do some restricting if it's taken to a extreme. Perhaps if restriction is needed it can be on post count.

Anyways bottom line great decision!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In looking at server load, some of the extremely large images and animations were straining the server. So we had to get rid of some of those really huge avvies and sigs, and tighten the limits. But the limits are still much less restrictive than before.

We will continue to monitor server load and user feedback and try to find the optimal size limits that allow everyone to properly express their individuality, without unduly affecting everyone else's site experience.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I dislike this administrative decision for similar reasons that Lockeness does. I feel as if it removes some of the prestige from badges, and I also think that new users who come to the site will not work as hard to gain badges and respect in general, and be less motivated because of the lowered prestige of badges. This is just my view, and I know that many disagree. I don't mind the avatar enlargement as much, but the fact that everyone gets CTs and images in signatures does not appeal to me personally. I do not mean to offend or insult the admins in any way, I solely want to express my personal opinion about the subject.

this is excellent. now i can express my true personality on the smogon forums. unfortunately, i am claustrophobic and reclusive. oh no :(

175 width limit and you have to be able to provide enough content in each of your posts to exceed the length of your avatar.

175 width limit and you have to be able to provide enough content in each of your posts to exceed the length of your avatar.
Unless there is something horribly wrong with my computer, my avatar is 175 exactly and doesn't exceed the avatar box. Unless your seeing something else, if so please screen shot.

testan

edit: dis is coo, but there definitely should be limit to stretching out the page. huy's might be a bit excessive, for example

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah I was pretty sure this was some elaborate troll but now I'm not so sure. I'd really like avatars (for every usergroup) to not stretch the postbit.

I am loving this. I always felt restricted with my sig, and had no idea what I should put into it. But now I've finally found something.

Yeah. Me definitely Gusta.

Anyways, I think that restrictions should be put on gifs though. Otherwise it would take a little while to load the threads.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even with avatars turned off I can be 100% certain that Huy's is probably terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)