[Vote] Initial Gen V Banlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is my explanation for my clause votes as well as this vote.

I've thought long and hard about everything that's been going on, and for a while I was considering accepting certain banlists based on my PO experiences. However, in the end, there was a conviction to give the Pokémon a fair hearing, and not consider my opinion better than those of others who might get into banlist-modifying voter lists in the future but do not have access to this vote. So I voted no banlist on that principle. As I looked at the clauses (in the other threads, I mean), I realized that this principle carried through to all of them, including the "luck-based" clauses to which I've voiced support for before. So I voted "No" on all of the clauses as well. I don't believe that full Sleep being broken is necessarily a foregone conclusion any more than it was in VGC (apparently it isn't).

Since this vote asked me to rank the options, I put in the extremes followed by the less extreme options, and then in each group put the smaller banlist first. I did this because I believe that, whatever is chosen, we should go into it wholeheartedly. Furthermore, the "halfhearted" options run the risk of complications in which people are confused as to whether to ban or to let an Uber go down. The difference between 2 and 5 aren't that important in my mind, but I voted to ban the more offensive difference between the two lists, Darkrai, rather than the more defensive difference, Lugia.

EDIT: I'd like to add that, while we have recently gone through what some might call hell, that was a good thing in the end. Like the nukes on Japan, perhaps we needed something like this as a reminder of our differences and an encouragement to say what we really think more, but in a civil manner that simply recognizes that people disagree. I, for one, am more confident than ever about the legitimacy of this vote, and I fully intend to accept the result, whatever it may be. I just wish that the "casualties" of this event will consider coming back someday...

I simply ranked them in order from fewest bans to most bans. We haven't had enough of a testing process yet for any Pokémon to be banned right from the start.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

A perfect list would have included Darkrai and Deoxys-attack and normal while excluding Wobbuffet, but five is close enough for my tastes.

I have had a lot of experience with the gen5 no bans metagame, not to brag but probably more than almost everyone here, and I really cannot see where people are coming from when they say that they think that this metagame is completely broken. I think that this metagame is a lot of fun and at the very least close to being balanced (I would say that it's balanced but since its new and the player base is so small it is still fairly unexplored). I have successfully created a team that deals with all the relevant threats and I do not think that I had to overprepare for any of them. If we don't go with option 1, which unfortunately seems like it will be the case, I will probably be playing ubers and not OU this generation.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

After playing quite a bit of BW both with and without bans it is apparent that there absolutely needs to be a starting ban list in place. I don't care at all anymore about banning something that "doesn't deserve it"; it doesn't matter at all as long as the game is fun. I have found Pokemon to be much less fun when you have to worry about scarf/specs Kyogre, Arceus, Reshiram in sun (lol), etc. Plus we've been playing so long that we have pretty much given these mons a "fair chance" anyway....

From there I just went with my experience...Darkrai is still a huge enough asshole to be banned imo, though it is certainly weaker than last gen. TBH I'm not sure why anyone would want to ban wobbuffet, it does almost nothing...but that list is certainly better than the option of only 7 bans/no bans. Glad we're getting this done.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

There has been a playable generation 5 simulator for a while; it is pretty clear to me what is broken and what isn't.

edit: as of vader's post:

<+Ditto> [First] #1: 14 #2: 27 #3: 4 #4: 8 #5: 14
<+Ditto> [Second] #1: 1 #2: 18 #3: 18 #4: 7 #5: 23
<+Ditto> [Third] #1: 8 #2: 15 #3: 11 #4: 18 #5: 15
<+Ditto> [Fourth] #1: 8 #2: 6 #3: 33 #4: 9 #5: 11
<+Ditto> [Fifth] #1: 36 #2: 1 #3: 1 #4: 25 #5: 5

In case anyone was curious.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus

while i'm all for "freedom of the player", i'm pretty sure that anybody who has played even one match of gen V knows that pokemon like kyogre and mewtwo are still just as powerful as they've always been. rather than waste our time testing pokemon who will clearly be broken, i think that the best course of action to take is to set up a solid, concrete banlist and then continue testing pokemon such as doryuuzu, latios, and garchomp from that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)