[Vote] Initial Gen V Banlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Probably going to take heat for voting No Banlist as my #1, but I still believe if we can implement a Quick Ban system, it's the best way to go. Other than that, my only priority is to make sure Lugia gets tested.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Despite being one of the weaker Pokemon statistically on the lists, Darkrai is an absurd lead to play around and Sleep became much mightier. It can also waste every lead with Magic Mirror as a bonus, so blocking Dark Void that way is out. Lugia will probably be a big nuisance but it won't last long I don't think, and defensive Pokemon in general are a rarer commodity. 4 goes a bit too far with the Deoxys-s ban, but 3 is entirely too minimalist.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus

I am a little bit hesitant to ban darkrai straight off the bat, especially if we come around to getting a Quick Ban system in place. Even with the new sleep mechanics I believe it at least deserves a test. As for why I place no initial banlist over options 3 or 4, I'd rather see everything get tested, rather than what we believe to be broken based off of Gen IV standards (don't get me wrong here; I'm not saying that's what happened with banlist 3, but I can see that it might have contributed at least a little bit in forming that particular list). Option 4 I find to be the most curious, as the inclusion of deoxys-s without deoxys-a is puzzling, at least to me. Unless the deo-s inclusion was meant to be deo-a, I think that banning one without the other is going a bit too far.

4 is actually how I see the tiers, but wobb and D-E won't be banned right now without people testing it themselves. Therefore starting with 4 would be counter productive. I see lugia, D-E and wobb being the suspects that would be argued the most. Therefore I want ban lists that test those pokes being a priority. Darkrai is easiy uber with the new sleep mechanics imo and since 5 is so close to 2, I don't see the need of putting both lists at the top.

haunter

Banned deucer.

Starting with no banlist would be a massive waste of time in my opinion, I believe that most of Gen IV Ubers are still broken in this Generation. A metagame filled with overpowered Ubers would only make it harder to determine which of the borderline Pokemon allowed at the beginning (Lati@s, Garchomp and maybe Deoxys-D) is still too powerful for the standard metagame.

Though it'd be awesome not to start with Deoxys either, who is exactly as ridiculous as you'd expect it to be. I might have voted no bans if I was doing this without experience, but there's several Pokemon not on any of these lists who I will be stunned to see available in a year, let alone bothering with stupid shit like Lugia. Trying to play games is already getting wrecked by the existence of a few fairly obvious ubers, not much interest in making it even worse.

These lists aren't actually "theorybans" anymore....people have been playing Gen 5 for at least a month. I feel that the Pokemon in question essentially had their fair chance.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

Very hard choices. I'd be fine with one of the first three winning. I highly oppose starting with No Banlist.

Of course, this doesn't mean I hate BW Ubers. I played both BW "OU" and BW ubers fairly extensively and while the latter is fun and will probably end up being my home metagame again, the immense power of the Pokemon in the metagame are pretty terrifying (read: Arceus, Kyogre, Mewtwo, Reshiram in the sun, etc) for it to be the standard metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)