Other Trick Room Playstyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Has a TR team topped the ladder at all this Gen? Has a TR team won any torunaments this Gen? Have they done so consistently?

These are legit questions because I honestly don't know.
I personally topped the suspect ladder (by a real large margin) with a tr team

TR has certainly won a number of scattered tournament battles

Keep in mind that as a playstyle that is so uncommon, the sheer likelihood (simply based on the numbers) that it would be used in a final round of a major tournament is rather low, especially because of its susceptibility to a well-built stall team

So I've been looking into possible lower tier threats that may excel specifically under trick room, and I believe that I've found an interesting (though potentially outclassed) contender.

Camerupt@Life Orb
trait: solid rock
4hp/252atk/252spatk
Quiet Nature
-fire blast/overheat
-Earthquake/Earth power
-Stone edge
-hidden power [grass]/[ice]

A lot of pokemon from generation 3 were incredibly lackluster, mostly due to their stat distribution. Most offensive pokemon are either slow but powerful and bulky, or frail but powerful and fast. Most generation 3 pokemon however were offensive in nature yet slow as well as frail, as they were mixed attackers. Yet because of their low BSTs their offences themselves were hardly usable since their base stats were split between two stats. I feel no gen 3 pokemon better illustrates that then Camerupt.

This Camerupt set however allows the volcano camel to utilize both his offences to their full potential while also circumventing his awful speed. With 252 EVs in both offences he becomes a mixed attacker stronger than most OU mixed pokemon, as they often run 252 EVs in speed and split the remaining 256 between their offences. Camerupt has fantastic STABs, and also two coverage moves that gel wonderfully with them. The reason I looked to Camerupt was because trick room often gets the drop on HO teams, but struggle with stall teams. most trick room sweepers run choice items because trick room turns are far too limited to allow for boosting. This makes them easily outplayed or outpredicted by stall, and without boosting they often lack the raw power to break through walls, while HO teams crumble because of their relative frailty. Camerupt changes this, as he has fantastic mixed attacking power and coverage, and speed low enough that he can outspeed almost all offensive pokemon in trick room and also possesses the coverage and wallbreaking ability to cause stall teams major problems.

hidden power grass is for quagsire who is a common staple of stall teams, however hp ice can be used for dragonite and garchomp, or flash cannon can be used for fairies (keep in mind though OU's most popular fairy is Azumarill so you're probably better with hp grass anyway, and even then you can only hit Azu on the switch since it has 4x effectiveness STAB priority). Stone Edge can be foregone for hp rock/ancient power if you're using flash cannon and earth power and you want to use a bulky fully special attacker spread, but the power drop is obvious and you also lose out on Camerupt's great mixed attacking wallbreaking. Eruption is an option, however it will require both a defogger or spinner and not using life orb to allow Camerupt to be at full health, the only time it outpowers the other listed fire moves. On top of this an expert belt full health Eruption = 180 bp, while a life orb overheat = 182 bp and a life orb fire blast = 156 bp, making it hardly ever worth it. You could use choice specs for an astonishing 225bp eruption and still no hp drop, but if you're using specs eruption in trick room simply use Heatran since Camerupt's niche is his coverage and mixed stats.

In complete honesty Camerupt probably isn't worth using, His offences are just a bit too low and being simultaneously frail and slow is a death sentence and he lacks a really exploitable ability. I just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone was looking for answers to stall for trick room.

EDIT: after doing several calculations I've come to the conclusion that Camerupt's base offences are simply too low for OU, even when both have a maximum investment of 252 EVs and are using 100+ bp moves. hidden power is especially worthless this generation, and pokemon that simply aren't weak to Camerupt's attacks such as M-gyarados walk all over it. Walls weak to its coverage moves still wall it thanks to sheer defenses alone, and the pokemon is really better off doing the whole bulky will-o-wisp tank thing down in NU.

Last edited:
Mega Abomasnow should be your mega of choice in TR teams, not Mawile.
TR is notoriously weak to bulky ground types such as Hippowdon, Lando-T and Gliscor and Mawile little does to compensate that.
Aboma also has Ice Shard which is extremely helpful against the genies and the million things weak to ice priority in the OU metagame. Sucker Punch is nowhere near as reliable.
You're using Aboma cause it resists ground? Cause Mawile is better in every single way. It hits hard as living hell, it has a much better typing (yeah Ground resist is nice but that comes with a silly amount of weaknesses, including weaknesses to multiple priority moves,) it's basically impossible to wall outside of a very small number of pokemon, Sucker Punch hits WAY harder than Ice Shard and Maw doesn't have to use it that much under TR.

Maw under TR is just completely ridiculous. It one-shots everything that's not a dedicated wall, and even those it rips huge chunks out of, and it has an excellent typing that allows it to switch in to a large number of things. Aboma just can't do that.

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
So I've been looking into possible lower tier threats that may excel specifically under trick room, and I believe that I've found an interesting (though potentially outclassed) contender.

Camerupt@Life Orb
trait: solid rock
4hp/252atk/252spatk
Quiet Nature
-fire blast/overheat
-Earthquake/Earth power
-Stone edge
-hidden power [grass]/[ice]

A lot of pokemon from generation 3 were incredibly lackluster, mostly due to their stat distribution. Most offensive pokemon are either slow but powerful and bulky, or frail but powerful and fast. Most generation 3 pokemon however were offensive in nature yet slow as well as frail, as they were mixed attackers. Yet because of their low BSTs their offences themselves were hardly usable since their base stats were split between two stats. I feel no gen 3 pokemon better illustrates that then Camerupt.

This Camerupt set however allows the volcano camel to utilize both his offences to their full potential while also circumventing his awful speed. With 252 EVs in both offences he becomes a mixed attacker stronger than most OU mixed pokemon, as they often run 252 EVs in speed and split the remaining 256 between their offences. Camerupt has fantastic STABs, and also two coverage moves that gel wonderfully with them. The reason I looked to Camerupt was because trick room often gets the drop on HO teams, but struggle with stall teams. most trick room sweepers run choice items because trick room turns are far too limited to allow for boosting. This makes them easily outplayed or outpredicted by stall, and without boosting they often lack the raw power to break through walls, while HO teams crumble because of their relative frailty. Camerupt changes this, as he has fantastic mixed attacking power and coverage, and speed low enough that he can outspeed almost all offensive pokemon in trick room and also possesses the coverage and wallbreaking ability to cause stall teams major problems.

hidden power grass is for quagsire who is a common staple of stall teams, however hp ice can be used for dragonite and garchomp, or flash cannon can be used for fairies (keep in mind though OU's most popular fairy is Azumarill so you're probably better with hp grass anyway, and even then you can only hit Azu on the switch since it has 4x effectiveness STAB priority). Stone Edge can be foregone for hp rock/ancient power if you're using flash cannon and earth power and you want to use a bulky fully special attacker spread, but the power drop is obvious and you also lose out on Camerupt's great mixed attacking wallbreaking. Eruption is an option, however it will require both a defogger or spinner and not using life orb to allow Camerupt to be at full health, the only time it outpowers the other listed fire moves. On top of this an expert belt full health Eruption = 180 bp, while a life orb overheat = 182 bp and a life orb fire blast = 156 bp, making it hardly ever worth it. You could use choice specs for an astonishing 225bp eruption and still no hp drop, but if you're using specs eruption in trick room simply use Heatran since Camerupt's niche is his coverage and mixed stats.

In complete honesty Camerupt probably isn't worth using, His offences are just a bit too low and being simultaneously frail and slow is a death sentence and he lacks a really exploitable ability. I just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone was looking for answers to stall for trick room.
heatran is almost always better

plus, if you are using something of that sort, then sunny day specs eruption is a must

Mega Aboma is priority weak. Flying Priority spam, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, even Sucker Punch and Extreme Speed are taking a nice chunk of health off. This is in addition to SR weakness and Wood Hammer recoil. There is no way it's better than Mega-Mawile, which hits harder and has a 4x resistance to bug, 2x resistance to Dark, immunity to Toxic, Resistance to SR and Sandstorm, and resists 4 priority attacks with NO priority weaknesses. Frankly it's the best TR sweeper in the game right now, because of those resistance, power, and passable coverage. (As much as I like Emboar, I was forced to bench him, lack of reckless hurts alot)

I've been using CB Dragonite again in TR, and fell in love with it, again. Late Game Outrage ends games pretty quickly when fairies are removed, and ExtremeSpeed has saved my ass quite a lot.

heatran is almost always better

plus, if you are using something of that sort, then sunny day specs eruption is a must
I largely agree Heatran is usually better and Camerupt is pretty lackluster. I was just looking for pokemon that could possibly patch up TR teams' weakness to stall in the form of a powerful wallbreaker. Specs Eruption Heatran burns almost everything to cinders, but a pokemon such as say Tyranitar, bulky Mega Charizard X, specially defensive latias etc. can turn his choice lock into a liability without good prediction, and that pool of pokemon grows bigger if Heatran takes any prior damage such as stealth rocks or spikes. Camerupt could deal with all of these pokemon with its coverage moves while still being a powerful fire type under trick room, as well as bringing in an element of unpredictability that could be a problem for stall teams and defensive cores. Still though I entirely concede Camerupt is a niche and mostly outclassed trick room pokemon and most people will choose Heatran for his sheer power, better bulk and typing, and flash fire potentially making him extra unwallable.

As for sunny day specs eruption? I'm skeptical of running weather in tandem with trick room. To set both up at the same time you'd either need to give up a lot of momentum to your opponent or end up with very few turns to truly abuse it, as well as giving up another team slot to a pokemon meant to support Heatran with weather. It seems like too much of an idealized situation you're sacrificing too much for to be viable, but that's only on paper and I haven't seen it in action yet.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I largely agree Heatran is usually better and Camerupt is pretty lackluster. I was just looking for pokemon that could possibly patch up TR teams' weakness to stall in the form of a powerful wallbreaker. Specs Eruption Heatran burns almost everything to cinders, but a pokemon such as say Tyranitar, bulky Mega Charizard X, specially defensive latias etc. can turn his choice lock into a liability without good prediction, and that pool of pokemon grows bigger if Heatran takes any prior damage such as stealth rocks or spikes. Camerupt could deal with all of these pokemon with its coverage moves while still being a powerful fire type under trick room, as well as bringing in an element of unpredictability that could be a problem for stall teams and defensive cores. Still though I entirely concede Camerupt is a niche and mostly outclassed trick room pokemon and most people will choose Heatran for his sheer power, better bulk and typing, and flash fire potentially making him extra unwallable.

As for sunny day specs eruption? I'm skeptical of running weather in tandem with trick room. To set both up at the same time you'd either need to give up a lot of momentum to your opponent or end up with very few turns to truly abuse it, as well as giving up another team slot to a pokemon meant to support Heatran with weather. It seems like too much of an idealized situation you're sacrificing too much for to be viable, but that's only on paper and I haven't seen it in action yet.
It's not really weather+tr.

It's late game cress sunny day -> lunar dance -> heatran gg

But i getcha

It's not really weather+tr.

It's late game cress sunny day -> lunar dance -> heatran gg

But i getcha
Oh I didn't realize we were talking specifically about lunar dance Cress, that's much more usable and immediately brings heatran into a sunny trick room with full health. Still though setting up trick room and sunny day back to back can definitely be a dangerous gamble if suddenly the opponent's pokemon pulls a sub out of a hat or starts setting up calm minds or anything similar. Much less risky and much more win condition focused than what I was imagining though.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Oh I didn't realize we were talking specifically about lunar dance Cress, that's much more usable and immediately brings heatran into a sunny trick room with full health. Still though setting up trick room and sunny day back to back can definitely be a dangerous gamble if suddenly the opponent's pokemon pulls a sub out of a hat or starts setting up calm minds or anything similar. Much less risky and much more win condition focused than what I was imagining though.
haha if they're up against cress, they are going to get a sub up regardless :P

And even if they cm or whatever, something like this happens:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus in Sun: 462-544 (108.9 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable in Sun: 441-519 (111.9 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir in Sun: 313-369 (112.5 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon in Sun: 322-379 (81.7 - 96.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Plus, when in doubt, fire blast is always a good fail-safe :)

haha if they're up against cress, they are going to get a sub up regardless :P

And even if they cm or whatever, something like this happens:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus in Sun: 462-544 (108.9 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable in Sun: 441-519 (111.9 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir in Sun: 313-369 (112.5 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon in Sun: 322-379 (81.7 - 96.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Plus, when in doubt, fire blast is always a good fail-safe :)
Those are some very impressive calculations. I retract anything I may have said about sun + trick room being exploitable with the exception of sub users.

I've trying a core Metagross/Hydreigon in a TR team which I think is quite interesting. First, Metagross has the bulk and the power to use effectively a choice band, with the extra benefit of having a priority attack to revenge kill and access to trick to cripple walls. The main problem is that shares the ghost and dark weakness with most TR inducers. Hydreigon resist all of metagross weakness, so it makes an excelent partner for him. I use him equiped with Assault Vest, in order to sponge special attacks aimed to good old metagross. With max HP and special attack, he can nuke some things with draco meteor, roast skarmory and ferrothorn (two of the best metagross counters) with fire blast and scape of every fairy with U-turn. In the other hand, with bullet punch and meteor mash, metagross is an excelent fairy slayer. Between Reuniclus and Trick Metagross, TR teams should have good tools for dealing with stall.

In my opinion, TR is quite difficult to use, and is somehow like other high risk juggernauts, i. e. Cloyster or Belly drum Azumarill. You should have a defensive core that allow you to force switches, and use TR after neutralizing key treats. For example, Reuniclus may have some problems dealing with Aegislash, Bisharp, Scizor or special walls, such as Sylveon, and thus teammates that can deal with this threats are mandatary.

I've trying a core Metagross/Hydreigon in a TR team which I think is quite interesting. First, Metagross has the bulk and the power to use effectively a choice band, with the extra benefit of having a priority attack to revenge kill and access to trick to cripple walls. The main problem is that shares the ghost and dark weakness with most TR inducers. Hydreigon resist all of metagross weakness, so it makes an excelent partner for him. I use him equiped with Assault Vest, in order to sponge special attacks aimed to good old metagross. With max HP and special attack, he can nuke some things with draco meteor, roast skarmory and ferrothorn (two of the best metagross counters) with fire blast and scape of every fairy with U-turn. In the other hand, with bullet punch and meteor mash, metagross is an excelent fairy slayer. Between Reuniclus and Trick Metagross, TR teams should have good tools for dealing with stall.

In my opinion, TR is quite difficult to use, and is somehow like other high risk juggernauts, i. e. Cloyster or Belly drum Azumarill. You should have a defensive core that allow you to force switches, and use TR after neutralizing key treats. For example, Reuniclus may have some problems dealing with Aegislash, Bisharp, Scizor or special walls, such as Sylveon, and thus teammates that can deal with this threats are mandatary.
Trick Room is definitely difficult to use and is also a high risk move like belly drum and shell smash. However I'm not sure the reward for that risk is the same as cloyster's shell smash and belly drum azumarill.

Let's take a look at what trick room means for sweepers.
Pros:
+outspeed almost everything with particularly slow sweepers like Mega Mawile
+choice scarf users can't revenge kill you
+foregoing speed investment means your sweeper is very bulky and also allows it to avoid significant damage from neutral priority (trick room sweepers have BST spreads that are often naturally bulky as well)
+attack boosting nature can be used while most sweepers need to use speed boosting ones
+if a trick room sweeper isn't setting it themselves they have 4 moveslots for attacking or sub+3 attacks
Cons:
-most trick room setters aren't trick room sweepers
-only have 4-5 turns of "speed", which can be stalled out
-slow walls may now outspeed and can status you
-brief sweeping window means no room for attack boosting

In this regard trick room seems like a more limited rock polish/agility sweeper, with a different set of benefits. Let's take a look at the benefits of +2 speed boosting.
Pros:
+boosts last until switching out, no switching since the sweeper themselves use the boosting move
+can also forego significant speed investment if their base speed is high enough, can be used to invest in bulk or more powerful mixed attacking (but to a lesser extent than trick room sweepers)
+Most choice scarf users can't revenge kill you
+boosts cannot be stalled out, protect and substitute are in most cases delaying the inevitable
Cons:
-also can't run a power boosting move, or if they're a double dancer often can't use both in a match
-far fewer +2 speed boosting candidates
-less bulk and often more susceptible to priority

With this in mind it's important to make sure a trick room team is utilizing the field effect's specific benefits to its best ability. Metagross is incredibly bulky and powerful, and his speed is just low enough to outspeed most offensive pokemon in trick room while also being bulky enough to take a hit or two and retaliate even outside of trick room. The only thing I disagree on is the choice band. You only have 4 turns to wreak havoc in trick room, and if the opponent uses say protect to scout you and forces you to switch out that's 2 turns of TR wasted. Specs or Band is best used on a TR sweeper with such power that they can muscle through even resists with their STAB, like the aforementioned eruption heatran.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Too weak and too fast.

Metagross is walled by any blanket phsyical wall

Hydreigon's base speed is like a billion and avest is too weak

If you have a defensive core and you are trying to mix it with tr, it will be broken very easily and you will get nothing done. Stall by itself is good, and tr ho by itself is good, but if you try and mix them, you will be too weak and not bulky enough

It's a pretty much a one-dimensional playstyle in terms of ou until some mons leave.

How viable do you guys think a trick room core combined with a stall breaker such as Mew and / or Gothitelle for trapping would be? Could ease games VS stall whilst still posing a threat to fast 'n' frail teams.

Throwing in Quag could be a good idea too, in order to guard against setup priority (mainly BD Azu). Curse Quag could function very well with a TR core anyway.

A team like
- TR setter
- TR sweeper
- TR Support (e.g. Cress) / type appropriate sweeper (e.g. SpecsTran)
- Gothitelle
- Quagsire
- Stall breaker Mew

No idea what this would play like - I'm just brainstorming. But something along these lines could be effective.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
How viable do you guys think a trick room core combined with a stall breaker such as Mew and / or Gothitelle for trapping would be? Could ease games VS stall whilst still posing a threat to fast 'n' frail teams.

Throwing in Quag could be a good idea too, in order to guard against setup priority (mainly BD Azu). Curse Quag could function very well with a TR core anyway.

A team like
- TR setter
- TR sweeper
- TR Support (e.g. Cress) / type appropriate sweeper (e.g. SpecsTran)
- Gothitelle
- Quagsire
- Stall breaker Mew

No idea what this would play like - I'm just brainstorming. But something along these lines could be effective.
I think that the most viable setup of this sort would be typical trick room + gothitelle (does it get tr? it could take the place of a setter if so)

Removing something like skarm or megavenasur from the game makes things so much easier for mawile or crawdaunt to clean sweep. Typically, tr can handle mons like these, but doing so requires valuable turns and plenty of chip damage to the point where outright breaking through a well-built stall team is very difficult given that the walls outspeed the sweepers.

Gothitelle could remove this problem entirely by eliminating the very few checks/counters that tr sweepers have (can eliminate chansey for exploud/heatran spam, can get rid of skarm for mawile, can kill megasaur for crawdaunt, etc.)

Nice idea.

The issue with the framework you suggested is that 3 setters and 3 sweepers is near mandatory because unless you need to save it for something in particular, TR setters typically die very quickly for the purpose of getting a sweeper in quickly and unscathed (explosion, lunar dance, etc.)

Sweepers also have a tendency to die when tr runs out (while usually doing major damage in the process of commiting suicide) for the purpose of getting setters in quickly and unscathed.

You will usually not need all three sweepers over the course of a match, but you definitely need the variety so as to be able to handle as many different teams as possible. If they have no skarm, mawile will be a key player. If they do have a skarm or even a lando-t, crawdaunt is better suited to attempt a ful sweep.

Goth is such a strong possibility because it can straight up eliminate the counters of x sweeper, reducing the need for variety (though TR still appreciates having plenty of back-up)

I have used TR team.
The most problem team for my team is Stall or bulky pokemon,
because my sweeper can't OHKO it.

Well lets not waste any time. Mega Mawile, the pokemon that's been holding Trick Room together, is now banned. Bumping this thread up to discuss where we go from here. I need a physical or mixed attacker(Chansey or Slyveon instant full stop is undesirable) that isn't weak to Sucker Punch, Bullet Punch or Bravebird/can counter priority, isn't hard walled by common stall cores like VenuTran, and has enough bulk/resistances to come into dangerous moves for TR like U-Turn, Crunch, or Knock Off after rocks without taking massive damage if not dying.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Adding Diancie to the list of setters would be good (It resists Dark, gets Splosion, and resists flying).

Well lets not waste any time. Mega Mawile, the pokemon that's been holding Trick Room together, is now banned. Bumping this thread up to discuss where we go from here. I need a physical or mixed attacker(Chansey or Slyveon instant full stop is undesirable) that isn't weak to Sucker Punch, Bullet Punch or Bravebird/can counter priority, isn't hard walled by common stall cores like VenuTran, and has enough bulk/resistances to come into dangerous moves for TR like U-Turn, Crunch, or Knock Off after rocks without taking massive damage if not dying.
Scrafty applies to all of those except for Brave Bird priority, which can be dealt with by team support.
And speaking of Scrafty, with Mawile out of the picture Moxie tr Scrafty makes a really efficient sweeper, with decent bulk, and decent coverage (fire/ice/thunder punch). It can also make up for any small amounts of damage with Drain Punch, and has Knock Off for dangerous Ghost types like Gengar. The only problem with using him as a tr moxie sweeper is that after 5 turns of tr he will be left as a sitting duck to what's left of the opposing team, leaving the options of either switching and losing the boosts, in an attempt to get another sweep going, or using Scarfty as a Wall Breaker rather than a Sweeper.
Mawile benefitted from tr, but tr benefits from Mawile going.

Atm it seems like MegaCross is the go to mega on the team. Other choices seem to be mega ttar, scizor, or amp, but they seem to be lacking. (Mega aboma sucks)
Sure cross weak to Brave bird, but you got p2, coff, cresselia, heatran.

Other good options are Diggersby, heatran, exploud, crawdaunt. All of which pair well with gothitelle.

Just because mega maw is banned doesn't mean trick room is dead.

I've been using a TR sweeper core of Crawdaunt/Conkeldurr/Exploud to pretty great success. Mega-Venu is annoying cause it walls both physical sweepers (although Crawdaunt Crunch 2HKO's if I can catch it on the switch). I don't think a mega is really needed for TR to be successful, this core handles just about everything.

I've been using a TR sweeper core of Crawdaunt/Conkeldurr/Exploud to pretty great success. Mega-Venu is annoying cause it walls both physical sweepers (although Crawdaunt Crunch 2HKO's if I can catch it on the switch). I don't think a mega is really needed for TR to be successful, this core handles just about everything.
CB Talonflame only needs a small amount of damage on that core in order sweep them (sr for instance) and if SD Talonflame gets to +2, it doesn't need prior damage. The same applies for M-Pinsir.

CB Talonflame only needs a small amount of damage on that core in order sweep them (sr for instance) and if SD Talonflame gets to +2, it doesn't need prior damage. The same applies for M-Pinsir.
I actually have 0 trouble with talonflame because like every other TR team, my setters are bulky enough to handle it. Also Crawdaunt outprioritizes under TR, and Exploud can survive any unboosted hit if it needs to. Under TR, this core recks Pinsir and out of Trick Room my setters handle that easy too.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Just wondering has anyone use Escavalier over Scizor in Trick Room teams, for an offensive sweeper?

Escavalier@ Assault Vest/Choice Band/Occa Berry
Ability: Swarm/Overcoat
248hp/252atk/8 sp.def
Brave Nature
-Iron Head
-Pursuit/Knock Off
-Drill Run
-Megahorn

Despite lacking priority, its defenses 70/105/105 is able to tank lots of hits topped with Assault Vest, or Choice Band to top with Base 135 Attack to hit extremely hard with Megahorn. It has Drill Run, for non grounded fire types, and Pursuit/Knock Off to trap ghosts/physics or remove items. It's base 20 speed, makes it a perfect choice for Trick Room teams.

Has a TR team topped the ladder at all this Gen? Has a TR team won any torunaments this Gen? Have they done so consistently?

These are legit questions because I honestly don't know.
I actually tried to get to number 1 using nothing but a TR team under the alt "spam to ban" I almost got to number 1 the closest I got was number 6 on the OU ladder but then I just stopped playing because I got pretty busy. You can search "spam to ban" for replays where after I win my rank is over 1900 but yeah it did good against stall because I used mixed Victini to wall break plus SD Mega Mawile. With Mega Mawile gone, Trick Room playstyle has definitely lost viability though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)