Smogon Champions League III - Semifinals [Tiebreaker @ Post 120]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilbert arenas

Rex rhydon
is a Tiering Contributor
1) Team tours on Smogon are unique. Seeing people come together -- or fail to -- is a testament to our spirits and how we tend to overlook the fact that we are all humans with emotions and needs outside of this game. In a world that asks us to repress ourselves as humans, I think we all need an outlet of unabridged expression; if that is calling some motherfucker halfway around the world garbage/dogshit/unviable/shambollic/paltry/miserable/braindead then it is. Drama is great for this site because without it we'd all be sad shells of ourselves. let it all out.

2) This avatar should be illegal
Screenshot 2023-11-27 135212.png

3) go gibles.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Orange Islanders (5) vs (5) Uncharted Terrors

SV OU: Wolf (25) vs (75) xavgb - Wolf is a solid player who is capable of putting up neutral or positive records consistently while using a nice mixture of teams; I really liked him as a pick-up and going even for 6.5k was a net positive for the Islanders I would say. I actually loved the team he used into me despite it running into a dire Unaware Clefable match-up and I think this type of outside the box synergy can go a long way in this metagame. However, this is going to be his toughest match yet and it will be hard for him to get an edge here. xavgb is almost impossible to predict against in SV OU right now; there are a small handful of players in his league. His teams consistently set the metagame -- you often see them spammed a week later, his play is among the best in the field, and his track record speaks for itself -- 6-0 in OU this SCL, 5-0 in WCoP, and 6-3 in SPL. His overall sheet record is 32-13, but a couple of those 13 have come in the playoffs, where he lost to Gtcha in SCL and 100p in SPL last year. Does that hold any weight here or is it just small sample size against two strong opponents? I do not know, but I would be remiss to ignore it outright. Wolf is a capable opponent, too, so anything is possible, but I still think all prevailing logic and recent results show xavgb to be the pick here by a comfortable margin.

SV OU: Rubyblood (60) vs (40) Meru - Meru is not a conventional OU player per se, but he has been around for a long enough time for the stage and environment to not really bother him too much I think. He has started 2-0 in OU with two pretty lopsided games; I really enjoyed his team choice against TNunes and I think he had some good turns in both of his games that show he knows what he is doing in OU. It looks like the Terrors had a bit of an in-season tryout for the third OU slot and Meru won it (well, Laroxyl also went 2-0, but was needed in LC) with his strong showing in these games, so that's a positive. What I will say is that I think the small sample may make him a bit reliant on teammates like xavgb to master prepatration and that could be a limiting factor. On the flip side, Rubyblood has been playing OU most of the sason (8 of 9 weeks) and has taken a big step up recently. He has earned a great record this season while presenting as a more capable player overall than many previously thought. I do think playoffs are coming at an awkward time for Rubyblood, who lost his last two games and seemed a bit frustrated. I was surprised he used Sun week 8, too, when I feel like Rubyblood's at his best when using balance or bulky-offense, but perhaps it was an attempt to diversify and I respect that if so. Regardless of specifics, his overall form has been among the best in the pool if you take into account the whole regular season as opposed to just the end and a 6-2 record is nothing to scoff at. This was a magnificent value pick for the Islanders for a mere 3k, too, but they definitely are going to need a seventh win (and likely more) against tough opponents like the Terrors. My thing with Rubyblood is that he has some very dominant games and great team choices earlier in the season, but I think there are a few turns he may regret in recent weeks and I am curious to see how he rebounds. Ruby really only has 15 total games in official team tournaments and this is his first time coming into this stage with these expectations, so it will be a big test for him. I think Meru may seem like a big underdog to most when you look at their relative bodies of work this season, but I think it may be a bit closer just because Meru is more experienced overall/in playoff settings and has some pretty awesome support in the other OU slots. I do still favor Ruby as Ruby has just been more impressive over a larger amount of games so far, but this is not necessarily lopsided.

SV OU: Welli0u (49) vs (51) oldspicemike - I think Welli0u has been struggling a bit to find his best form this generation; he is typically one of the most consistent performers on the site and very good at a couple of Fairygens. For only 13.5k, someone with his 66-48 track record felt like an awesome value (and if he ends up winning in the playoffs, it still can be a good one). 3-5 after being bounced early in OLT playoffs is tough though. I have actually liked most of his team choices and think he ran into a tough stretch mid-season with mind gaming and Nat sandwiching a losing streak, which I cannot fault him for too much honestly. Given this, I think Well is one of the people who is likely to be a "dark horse" of the playoffs if the Islanders win this whole thing. oldspicemike is quietly on a protagonist arc though and this may be too tall of a task for Welli0u or anyone left in the pool to handle though; he has won each of his last five games after a 1-2 start, he was super impressive on the ladder at points, and his teams have all been good in my opinion. I kind of view him as a bit of a "xavgb jr." in a sense as while he has his own tendencies and ideas that show each week, both of them rarely use bad teams or make misplays later in games -- they have been the most impressive OU duo alongside mind gaming and Fogbound Lake because of this. Honestly this was the hardest game for me to predict, but I am siding with the person who has won each of his last five although my gut kind of leans Welli0u just given his overall strength/reputation as a player. Recency bias is a bitch :wo:, but this one is a highlight for me for sure.

SV Ubers: Exiline vs RichardMillePlain
SV DOU: JRL vs Nails
SV UU: pdt vs Accel
SV RU: robjr vs Feliburn

SV NU: Danny (60) vs (40) avarice - Records lean slightly in favor of avarice during the regular season, but I think the eye test flips the script a bit. Danny had a larger sample of games, going 4-4. During his 4 losses, I think a couple could have easily flipped if circumstances changed and I also think that Danny got better with the season going on. I really enjoyed his team he used vs Togkey and besides an awkward match vs Michael, Danny had great results down the stretch. He showed a good range going from HO mirror into freezai to using bulkier stuff into Elias, which should make him pretty hard to prepare for as well. Danny faces avarice, who I am a tad less familiar with. They started 3-0 and that was impressive even though some of the games felt a tad on the weird side. I loved the synergy of avarice's team into watashi, opening the game up with Hoopa and being able to establish its presence consistently when expecting a balance/bulky-offense. I also though Victreebel was a nice pick into Axtrix and the Veil team vs freezai would've worked into what many would've expected there. I do think avarice wishes a few plays were different in hindsight and I am not sure how they will respond to losing their last two matches, so I am going to lean Danny. This is a close game though and I am very excited to see the teams both use as this feels like a cool match-up in the making!

SV PU: DugZa vs sensei axew
SV LC: Hacker vs Laroxyl

Tiebreak

SV OU: Rubyblood vs xavgb (major highlight)
SV UU: pdt vs sensei axew (maybe they stick with Accel, but I think if he loses two straight to pdt, they probably have to pivot to sensei or even Feliburn/oldspicemike if either know UU at all)
SV LC: Hacker vs Laroxyl (Laro quiet 7-2 has been mad impressive imo)

Coming home after a long and exhausting afternoon shift and looking at a SCL thread full of drama and hate is beautiful. Art to my eyes. This is the stuff that builds legacy. Glad to see that Smogon is still alive and breathing.

Please remove the hate out of your heart and discord servers and take it right to this thread. :heart:

fade

pistol pete
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
MPL Champion
Indigo Platoon (5) vs (5) Studio Gible / good series I think all 3 ou / ubers / uu / pu can go either way
SV OU: MichaelderBeste2 vs Fogbound Lake - Don't ever want to bold against Heute though fogbound is 8-1
SV OU: Finchinator vs mind gaming - mind has farmed sv can't really bold against him
SV OU: zioziotrip vs z0mOG - I don't really like how zios played & I think zom has been good enough and got unlucky
SV Ubers: SiTuM vs Fc - liked how fc played his games more
SV DOU: Xrn vs zee - 8-1
SV UU: McMeghan vs Eternal Spirit - highlight I doubt mcm loses 3 in a row
SV RU: Ajna vs cleann - free win for ajna he's doing well again & the 2018 ou room shitter has no place in tours
SV NU: Axrtix vs etern - 6-3 and I didn't really like most of axrtix's games
SV PU: Santu vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d - santu has been pretty good but sinnoh is 8-1 and only lost to luck
SV LC: Scottie vs ninjadog - scottie has been heat for a few years it's nice to see him having a popoff tour

Orange Islanders (5) vs (5) Uncharted Terrors
SV OU: Wolf vs xavgb - stresh will goob in semis and Wolf is good enough to capitalize on it (sorry bro gl)
SV OU: Rubyblood vs Meru - surprised meru started off 0-3 ruby is definitely better but I think meru will win for some reason or another
SV OU: Welli0u vs oldspicemike - mike's been pretty heat but he will embrace the darkness
SV Ubers: Exiline vs RichardMillePlain - I don't really like how richards played most games and exiline is pretty consistent
SV UU: pdt vs Accel - I never really been a fan of how pdt plays but maybe I'm a hater cus he always does well in tours
SV RU: robjr vs Feliburn - both got 5 wins just gut pick
SV NU: Danny vs avarice - gl playing vs cheese
SV PU: DugZa vs sensei axew - sensei axew lucked every game and should have started 0-6, dugza turned around an awful 1-4 into 4-5
SV LC: Hacker vs Laroxyl - laroxyl is good and 7-2

Don't really see any of the other 3 teams beating the platoon

As one of the sites authorities on cringe, I'm going to make a potentially unwise post.

Like, whats the intention here? Is it to express frustration? Cool, do it privately. This is neither mine nor anyone else on this sites business. Have a private conversation about it. We're literally adults and you're well known users who have discord.

And what's this post in a public thread going to accomplish? You give yourself a bad look with a personal attack against a well known player. You certainly aren't benefitting anyone.

Also assume some responsibility. You went 3-3 in one of the most even pools ever and then cancered--contributing to your teams loss--and then just unnecessarily pin blame on someone after barely missing playoffs.

We know hardly anything about most the friends we have on this site, no less people we don't know well or at all. There's just no need to be abrasive, hurtful, or otherwise rude to people on a fucking online forum for a children's game. A lot of us come here to escape our real lives which is very difficult considering a lot of people on here are assholes.

When it's me telling people to act like adults, you know there's a problem. Can we just all stop being fucking genuinely toxic. Fuck.
Screenshot_20230821_020607_Chrome.jpg

Indigo Platoon (0) vs (0) Studio Gible
SV OU: MichaelderBeste2 vs Fog
SV OU: Finchinator vs mind gaming
SV OU: zioziotrip vs z0mOG
SV Ubers: SiTuM vs Fc
SV DOU: Xrn vs zee
SV UU: McMeghan vs Eternal Spirit
SV RU: Ajna vs cleann
SV NU: Axrtix vs etern
SV PU: Santu vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d
SV LC: Scottie vs ninjadog

Orange Islanders (0) vs (0) Uncharted Terrors
SV OU: Wolf vs xavgb
SV OU: Rubyblood vs Meru
SV OU: Welli0u vs oldspicemike
SV NU: Danny vs avarice

Rooting for sensei axew

Indigo Platoon (5*) vs (4*) Studio Gible
SV OU: MichaelderBeste2 vs Fogbound Lake
SV OU: Finchinator vs mind gaming
SV OU: zioziotrip vs z0mOG
SV Ubers: SiTuM vs Fc
SV DOU: Xrn vs zee
SV UU: McMeghan vs Eternal Spirit
SV RU: Ajna vs cleann
SV NU: Axrtix vs etern
SV PU: Santu vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d
SV LC: Scottie vs ninjadog

Orange Islanders (6) vs (4) Uncharted Terrors
SV OU: Wolf vs xavgb
SV OU: Rubyblood vs Meru
SV OU: Welli0u vs oldspicemike
SV NU: Danny vs avarice

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I do love when people I don’t know try to silence me with the arsenal of screen shot worthy comments I’ve amassed. It was a joke and I will never not find it funny. All my friends/aquaintances on team Europe weren’t offended either.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact my PR agents Bouff and ManOfMany or my lawyers BigFatMantis and Heysup. Thanks!

If you think people can't evolve, well, believe me you're part of the problem, buddy, especially since if we take the context of the game and the horrible schedule and conditions in which I had to play that game 3, your intervention and the way you trash-talked me wasn't exactly classy coming from a player of your caliber
Now that you've done your show for 3 miserable likes, I hope we can finally deal with the real problem and not come up with some crap logs every time someone gives their opinion like an unemployed twittos
damn straight bro people can be pokemon too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)