Pokémon Primarina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs is still the best niche. AV is worn down much too quickly with zero access to recovery in any form, and more often than not you're going to be saying "Man I wish I OHKO/2HKO'd this" when using AV than you'll be saying "Man I wish I lived this hit" when using Specs. Specs is just, a much more reliable option right now and distinguishes itself from most other water types.

hydro pump has shaky accuracy tho, i like to use scald more
STAB Moonblast is good for the general-purpose attack. Hydro pump is good if the opponent ends up being especially defensive and you need to break through. I'm not quite sure what your threat-list is in mind when you're looking at Scald.

Specs is still the best niche. AV is worn down much too quickly with zero access to recovery in any form, and more often than not you're going to be saying "Man I wish I OHKO/2HKO'd this" when using AV than you'll be saying "Man I wish I lived this hit" when using Specs. Specs is just, a much more reliable option right now and distinguishes itself from most other water types.
To be fair to the Assault Vest guys... aside from Tapu Bulu Horn Leech and maybe a Giga-Drain user, most AV users don't have recovery at all. Drain Punch, Giga Drain, and Tapu Bulu's Horn Leech. I guess Leech Life and Draining Kiss are options now as well.

To be fair to the Assault Vest guys... aside from Tapu Bulu Horn Leech and maybe a Giga-Drain user, most AV users don't have recovery at all. Drain Punch, Giga Drain, and Tapu Bulu's Horn Leech. I guess Leech Life and Draining Kiss are options now as well.
Assault Vest would be good if there weren't Pokemon that naturally did what AV Primarina does. It's a redundant option with the meta we're in and has no business being used over just about any other bulky Water. Just abuse her Offensive niche; it's what's keeping her relevant.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Outspeeding skarm isn't that neccessary tho I prefer hitting magearna at 0 speed and putting rest in bulk cuz primarina can get kinda worn out through the course of the match

+ Primarina is the first Starter i use Torrent over their HA.

Liquid Voice doesn't have the good enough moves to make use of it fully (If an event Primarina is given out with Boomburst, I may reconsider it).
a liquid voice boomburst would be just too good. If they ever do that it would be banned, and would clearly represent GF giving up on balance entirely

Why would you even use Liquid Voice. As far as I know it doesn't boost the damage like the ate abilities, does it? I guess the only reason one would use it is for the between Scald and Hydro Pump BP (without resorting to heal burns). Also, this thing gets Perish Song, any set that could make use of that?

Between two practically useless abilities, I'd rather pick Liquid Voice to at least hit things through Substitute with STAB Hyper Voice.

It's extremely situational but Torrent can be even harder to pull off due to low Speed.

Between two practically useless abilities, I'd rather pick Liquid Voice to at least hit things through Substitute with STAB Hyper Voice.

It's extremely situational but Torrent can be even harder to pull off due to low Speed.
Except Sparkling Aria exists for Primarina. You probably don't care about the "burn heal" drawback since no one will be running Sparkling Aria + Scald. Sparkling Aria even becomes 195 BP Oceanic Operetta, so its a better Z-Move than Hyper Voice (which would turn into Breakneck Blitz)

The two abilities are kinda bad. I'd lean on Torrent, as awful as it is. Maybe Primarina can pull off a Torrent Hydro Pump after tanking one hit and nuke at least one pokemon...

Except Sparkling Aria exists for Primarina. You probably don't care about the "burn heal" drawback since no one will be running Sparkling Aria + Scald. Sparkling Aria even becomes 195 BP Oceanic Operetta, so its a better Z-Move than Hyper Voice (which would turn into Breakneck Blitz)

The two abilities are kinda bad. I'd lean on Torrent, as awful as it is. Maybe Primarina can pull off a Torrent Hydro Pump after tanking one hit and nuke at least one pokemon...
Primarina is tanky enough to suvive something it resists from low health, so in VERY specific situations, Torrent can work, so it's just about as useless as Liquid Voice is, which is a shame but whatever, Prima would even be good if it had Big Pecks or something :P

a liquid voice boomburst would be just too good. If they ever do that it would be banned, and would clearly represent GF giving up on balance entirely
That's a bit of an exaggeration, seeing as Primarina is pretty slow.

It'd be an OU threat, certainly, but idk about broken given the enormous power creep this gen overall.

Primarina @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Psychic

my personal favorite set, and it works best with reflect/light screen/aurora veil. using this mon with a screen setter and a cleric wish-baton pass user has worked out fantastically well so far, as it maximizes it's entire bulk and allows it to take a few physical hits. of course, maxing out sp.def over defense has worked too, turning it into a special wall, but i prefer this set.

I revamped my OG-set to be a big f:pirate:k you to every special set in existence:

Primarina @ Assault Vest
-Calm Nature
-Liquid Voice
-Scald
-Psychic
-Moonblast
-Hyper Voice

EV spread: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA

I tested this on battle spot and it does wonders. It also makes all your friends hate you. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone :)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I revamped my OG-set to be a big f:pirate:k you to every special set in existence:

Primarina @ Assault Vest
-Calm Nature
-Liquid Voice
-Scald
-Psychic
-Moonblast
-Hyper Voice

EV spread: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA

I tested this on battle spot and it does wonders. It also makes all your friends hate you. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone :)
Isn't Liquid Voice currently illegal?

Also, if I wanted to use a bulky Water that refused to die I'd go with Suicune. It can heal itself with Rest, use Roar, or go classic Crocune.

Assault Vest seems like a major waste on Primarina when it's clearly suited to be a powerful Special Attacker that happens to have decent bulk and a good defensive typing.

People justifing Liquid Voice makes me sad.

Torrent is a marginally better ability...if liquid voice acted like the other abilities (Galvanize,Refrigerate,Aerilate) then yes it would be better but its not.

Torrent is nothing grand but if you really find hitting behind extremely certain substitutes over a possible further nuke hydro then by all means go ahead.

People justifing Liquid Voice makes me sad.

Torrent is a marginally better ability...if liquid voice acted like the other abilities (Galvanize,Refrigerate,Aerilate) then yes it would be better but its not.

Torrent is nothing grand but if you really find hitting behind extremely certain substitutes over a possible further nuke hydro then by all means go ahead.
Liquid voice is basically useless as it is. why use liquid voice-hyper voice when you could use torrent-sparkling aria, which judging by the fact that liquid voice doesn't seem to boost the power, is literally the same damn thing except more unique than Hyper voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)