Other ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you have a really cool core, but I would love to see you take the oppurtunity given by not having to run DD on zardX to run a better move to beat some of its normal counters, even those on stall teams (rypherior and quagsire) with maybe grass knot or eq/ice punch (mega alt)? I haven't taken the time to try it yet, but maybe you can beat some of its more standard counters/checks by going mixed and running a move to beat its common mons (which could easily pave the way for a similar setup cleaner).
I actually tried that, and it works to an extant, but sometimes something unexpected happens and I wish I had a DD up. You're welcome to use it yourself and send me some replays if it works however, it may just be the rest of my team.

May I present to you this offensive utility core. Well, this is the most common 3 mon core that you will see in offense. This core focuses to hit hard and weaken teams to pave a way for a sweeper to sweep. First, Keldeo gets rid of Bisharp and Skarmory which can be annoying to Latias and Landorus-T, then Latias in return takes care of Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W which are problems for Keldeo and can come in easily on their Grass and Electric type attacks. Scarfed Landorus-T revenge kills Greninja, non scarf Raikou and Mega Manectric which threatens both Latias and Keldeo. It provides a handy revenge killer, a Knock Off spammer, a great momentum shifter and an Intimidate user that can put a stop on the opposing sweepers.

However, there are few mons that can give this core trouble. Magic Guard Clefable is one, it sets up against this that’s why it is ideal to have a Steel type as a partner. SD Talonflame is also a problem if not played correctly but all teams have their ways to check it, but still a threat anyway. Mega Slowbro, damn you. Good teammates should be able to handle these threats. This includes Mega Manectric, Mega Metagross and even Greninja.
Keldeo @ Choice Specs / Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power Electric

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Replays:

this shows how the core weakened the opposing team to open up for a Mega Metagross sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-190462602

played bad half of the game, but still managed to pull through. Latias gives Mega Metagross a second chance to be able to clean up the game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-190454157

Here's a Hyper Offensive core I've been testing a bit. Synergy wise, they work pretty well together offensively and cover each others weaknesses really well. Latios is the focal point of the two deadly attackers. Latios covers both mega Gyarados and Diggersby's fighting weaknesses as well as their grass weaknesses and diggersby's water weakness, etc, etc. I don't want to go ever every detail of the types they cover, I think it's pretty obvious when you look at them and actually think about it, but that is the basis of their defensive synergy. They all cover each others weaknesses extremely well. I chose HP fire life orb Laltios because it deals with things that wall digger and gyara like ferrothorn and skarmory, and latios helps deal with keldeo which gives the two threats some trouble. I went with agility diggersby (originally SD) because it really helps with the new megas, specifically beedrill and sceptile which can clean sweep this core alone if I don't have agility up or if I have already evolved gyarados. SD also works, but I already had a set up attacker in gyarados which I figured would be good enough if diggersby can handle all the fast things like sceptile, beedrill and well, pretty much the entire unscarfed metagame. It gets knock off now too, which with agility helps it beat gengar. For gyarados, I actually went for jolly, which seems weird, but again this core hates mega beedrill and mega sceptile so at +1 with jolly I outspeed and kill them which really helps. It gets crunch now which is amazing since it destroys slowbro and mew and I gave it taunt because with moldbreaker it can taunt mega sableye and stallbreak general things like chansey and ferrothorn and what not. This core Isn't very fast unless it sets up, so teammates that prepare for speedy things that are threats to this team like greninja work well. A wall or a scarf user works best in that case. This core will work on hyper offense and balance the best.

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility / Swords Dance
- Return
- Knock Off / Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog / Roost

That's the core. Not much more can be said really, they cover each other superbly and will destroy the opposing team if given the chance.
Credits to pkparaiso.com for the sprites.
why not try fire punch on bunny it lures in ferrothorn and skarm both 2hko being adamant it doesnt beat gar but thats y u have mega gyara than you could have roost over hp fire on lati since you need it to check mega venu since modest sludgebomb does like 50%. This core also loves clef back up so having clef in this section is good too since it beats sableye and if unaware it stops dnite and zard x from setting up. Js its a suggestion to the build some moves might be better than the others.

why not try fire punch on bunny it lures in ferrothorn and skarm both 2hko being adamant it doesnt beat gar but thats y u have mega gyara than you could have roost over hp fire on lati since you need it to check mega venu since modest sludgebomb does like 50%. This core also loves clef back up so having clef in this section is good too since it beats sableye and if unaware it stops dnite and zard x from setting up. Js its a suggestion to the build some moves might be better than the others.
You can literally run a million sets on bunny honestly, it's team dependent. Sash SD, Banded elemental punches, Scarf, whatever. Most work, some better than others sure, but they all put in work. I found it depends highly on what the rest of your teams needs. The best set for bunny in this core i found to be sash SD, considering how much it helps to set up on things that give the whole core trouble knowing you can take any one hit and KO afterwards. Also, appreciate the suggestions but cores usually aren't more than 3 mons (not here anyway) so i cant put clefable/bisharp/etc next to these guys even though they all fit decently. (I actually do use scarftar on my main team with this lol) but yeah, I feel as though HP fire is a must on latios. It still beats venusaur and you can run roost over defog anyway, but HP fire is vital to kill scizor, skarm ferro etc if not severly weaken them.

Offensive core:
+
+

Metagross, Dragonite and Greninja support each other really well, luring and defeating things that would otherwise wall the other pokemons of the core. Metagross baits Slowbro and Landorus-Therian, and defeats them both with Grass Knot and Ice Punch. Greninja baits Ferrothorn and defeats it with Hidden Power Fire. It also sets up spikes/toxic spikes, and beats Skarmory, who troubles Metagross and Dragonite. After Metagross and Greninja have removed Dragonites counters and checks, it can set up a Dragon Dance and clean up.

Sand Rush Excadrill is a threat in the sand, so a good teammate would be something that counters it (I personally like Zapdos for this, because it also provides Defog support and does well against Salamence-Mega). Charizard-Mega X can easily sweep after one Dragon Dance, so Quagsire is a good teammate as well. Quagsire also defeats Manectric-Mega, whom outspeeds the whole core and hits all members super effectively.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes

Some moves can be changed to bait and defeat other stuff, like Fire Punch on Dragonite for Ferrothorn, or Gunk Shot on Greninja for Fairy-type pokemons and Chansey.
Hello I just wanted to say 1. I really like this core and 2. Do you have any partners that go well with this core that can counter/check mega sableye?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello I just wanted to say 1. I really like this core and 2. Do you have any partners that go well with this core that can counter/check mega sableye?
Basically any fairy type handles mega sableye well. Clefable or Sylveon. Also, Tail Glow manaphy has good synergy with that core and beats mega sableye.
edit: ninja

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this is a long time ago already, I haven't used it in a long time haha. Anyway, Sableye-mega is checked by more or less all fairies, so something like Specs Sylveon would be a nice partner, forming a Steel/Dragon/Fairy core while keeping momentum with Baton Pass.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+

A really good stall-killing, offensive utility, trapping core. Gothitelle and Bisharp have a surprising amount of synergy in their roles and together can provide great support for any offensive team.
Bisharp lures in Steel Type walls that commonly run Shed Shell due to the recent popularity of Magnezone, like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, and Knocks Off the Shed Shell for Gothitelle to trap and finish off with an HP Fire. Bisharp also tends to lure in Scizor and a smart double to Gothitelle could also result in an easy KO. Gothitelle also traps eliminates other threats that could impede Bisharp, especially Fighting types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr, as well as Venusaur, Rotom-W, Alomomola, and Quagsire. In return, Bisharp Pursuit traps Gengar and Lati@s, which Gothitelle can't really handle 1v1, and can knock out Tyranitar and the occasional Weavile with Iron Head. Low Kick is also an option for opposing Bisharp and Heatran, but losing coverage on Fairies isn't too ideal imo. Both Pokemon also threaten Chansey with either Trick or the combination of Pursuit and Knock Off.

This core really works wonders for Pokemon who enjoy having the aforementioned threats sniped as well as having hazards stay up on the opponent's side, seeing as how Bisharp discourages Defog. Pokemon that can handle Heatran and Greninja well or set up hazards are also recommended.

Mega Gyarados would make excellent use of this core, seeing as it likes having hazards stay up, doesn't care much about Heatran or Greninja, and has almost every one of it's checks trapped and killed by this core. Azumarill also comes to mind when thinking of good partners for similar reasons. Belly Drum is usually seen as an inferior set nowadays but with the help of this core it works a lot better.

SD Garchomp also seems like a pretty solid teammate to this core, since it also likes having Fairies checked by Bisharp, it can set up Rocks, it beats Heatran, and really appreciates both Pokemon's trapping abilities so it can actually tear some holes into the opposing team instead of just setting up Rocks then dying like most Garchomp nowadays.

Usual Sets:

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Wow, this is a long time ago already, I haven't used it in a long time haha. Anyway, Sableye-mega is checked by more or less all fairies, so something like Specs Sylveon would be a nice partner, forming a Steel/Dragon/Fairy core while keeping momentum with Baton Pass.
okay thanks for the info.

Darkerones
Why not run black glasses on bisharp, since it boosts 3/4 moves, and you're not running SD bisharp anyways, and afaik, black glasses is standard on pursuit bisharp. Seems like a good core!

Because Life Orb provides a much better boost to all moves...?
At the cost of 10% HP each turn, and only being a little bit stronger. I think LO should be used with SD, because it needs as much power as it can get, but black glasses should be used with pursuit. Most of the time, bisharp will be using sucker punch and knock off, not iron head.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Darkerones
Why not run black glasses on bisharp, since it boosts 3/4 moves, and you're not running SD bisharp anyways, and afaik, black glasses is standard on pursuit bisharp. Seems like a good core!
That's my own personal bias in favor of Life Orb for the 56% chance to OHKO Scarf Landorus-T at +1.
Black glasses is just as good

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Blackglasses and Life Orb are both legit on Bisharp. Blackglasses is probably preferred if you want to be able to switch into Lati@s easier and start sweeping from a Defog boost, while Life Orb is good on SD sets (Jolly or otherwise) so you don't need to rely on opposing Defogs.

Obligatory comment about how much I love Bisharp.

The core I've had plenty of success with thus far consists of Jolly DD M-Altaria, Scarf Magnezone, and CB Talonflame with Tailwind.

The premise is simple: eliminate the pokemon that harass M-Altaria ' sweep, considering I don't run Fire Blast on the DD set. So Zone traps Ferrothorn and Scizor, which pretty much just leaves M-Venusaur which is handled by Band Brave Bird.

Plus they synergize well; M-Altaria appreciates any good Steel type, so there's that. But what really seals the deal is the amazing synergy between Talonflame and Magnezone. Not to mention also forming a decent VoltTurn duo.

M-Aerodactyl is the only thing that mildly troubles this core but can be worn down by teammates. For the record the rest of the team is CroCune, SD LO Weavile, and Air Baloo support Mold Breaker Excadrill with STABs, Rapid Spin, and Stealth Rock.

*Edited to add that Altaria's pre-Mega Ability is Cloud Nine, max speed Jolly. This is so that it can handle literally any weather sweeper with Earthquake or Return. Weather sweepers are typically Adamant/Modest and they're pretty much all weak to Pixilate Return or EQ. Jolly also helps it outspeed M-Manectric and M-Lopunny after one DD. I can see how Natural Cure can be a useful and even preferred pre-Mega Ability but my team is semi-weak to Rain and Sand so for this particular team that's what I go with.

Last edited:
Inglorion: can you post the spreads for your core; i'd like to try it out, seems loads of fun to me!

BTW: First post!
I'm on Mobil and at work so I'll make this brief.

Altaria: Jolly Cloud Nine, DD/Frustration or Double Edge/EQ/Roost, 252 Att 252 Spd 4 Def.

Talonflame is the standard Band revenge killer, that info is readily available, I will mention it has Tailwind in the fourth moveslot.

Magnezone: max SpA/Spd, 4 Def. Timid to outspeed Adamant Talonflame. Magnet Pull, TBolt/VSwitch/Flash Cannon/HP Fire

Hello, I'd like to update my Gallade/Bisharp core post with the inclusion of Specs Sylveon as the third member:

Yup, I shamelessly copied the example core in the OP using Gallade and Bisharp, but man, it's a really solid offensive core with Specs Sylveon providing heavy artillery.

As it's probably been mentioned a billion times during 5th gen, Psychic/Fighting and Dark/Steel types make excellent partners to each other. Gallade resists fighting where Bisharp is 4x weak to it, Bisharp himself is immune to Psyshock and resists Flying and Ghost types that would give Gallade trouble.

Both of these two love the removal of Mega Slowbro and Mega Sableye, as even with SD boosts, it's almost impossible, or at least troublesome, to break them. Specs Sylveon murders the two of them with impunity, obliterating Sableye and nearly OHKOing Mega Slowbro.

Seeing as all three of these mons are incredibly weak to both Talonflame and Scarf Lando-T (Bisharp can get the Defiant boost from Intimidate, but Lando needs to be at less than half for Sucker Punch to make a guaranteed kill), physically defensive Rotom-W is the essential switch-in and makes a great recommended teammate.

Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/Knock Off/Shadow Sneak

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Last edited:
Hello, I'd like to update my Gallade/Bisharp core post with the inclusion of Specs Sylveon as the third member:

Yup, I shamelessly copied the example core in the OP using Gallade and Bisharp, but man, it's a really solid offensive core with Specs Sylveon providing heavy artillery.

As it's probably been mentioned a billion times during 5th gen, Psychic/Fighting and Dark/Steel types make excellent partners to each other. Gallade quad resists fighting where Bisharp is 4x weak to it, Bisharp himself is immune to Psyshock and resists Flying and Ghost types that would give Gallade trouble.

Both of these two love the removal of Mega Slowbro and Mega Sableye, as even with SD boosts, it's almost impossible, or at least troublesome, to break them. Specs Sylveon murders the two of them with impunity, obliterating Sableye and nearly OHKOing Mega Slowbro.

Seeing as all three of these mons are incredibly weak to both Talonflame and Scarf Lando-T (Bisharp can get the Defiant boost from Intimidate, but Lando needs to be at less than half for Sucker Punch to make a guaranteed kill), physically defensive Rotom-W is the essential switch-in and makes a great recommended teammate.

Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/Knock Off/Shadow Sneak

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass
Okay, this is roughly the fifth post I've seen that stated that Mega Gallade "quad resists" fighting. Unless I am missing something very covert here, Mega Gallade only resists fighting at 0.5x, not 0.25x.

Anyway, this core is very effective. It's been in my team for a few weeks now. I've just been using Heal Bell over Shadow Ball on Sylveon in case one of the swordmasters gets burned, but that has yet to happen. I'll probably just switch back to Shadow Ball but I fugured I should mention Heal Bell.

Okay, this is roughly the fifth post I've seen that stated that Mega Gallade "quad resists" fighting. Unless I am missing something very covert here, Mega Gallade only resists fighting at 0.5x, not 0.25x.

Anyway, this core is very effective. It's been in my team for a few weeks now. I've just been using Heal Bell over Shadow Ball on Sylveon in case one of the swordmasters gets burned, but that has yet to happen. I'll probably just switch back to Shadow Ball but I fugured I should mention Heal Bell.
Yeah, that's a typo I forgot to fix a while back. My bad :p

Also, Shadow Ball nearly OHKOs base Metagross, and getting that predicted switch correctly is fucking satisfying.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

If you're using Heal Bell, are you not using Specs Sylveon? Being locked into that move seems pretty bad :x
Shadow Ball was more relevant with aegislash around, but its still nice to hit jirachi / bronzong / mega metagross, but I usually like Hyper Voice / Baton Pass / HP of choice / Psyshock on specs sylveon.

If you're using Heal Bell, are you not using Specs Sylveon? Being locked into that move seems pretty bad :x
Shadow Ball was more relevant with aegislash around, but its still nice to hit jirachi / bronzong / mega metagross, but I usually like Hyper Voice / Baton Pass / HP of choice / Psyshock on specs sylveon.
Specs Sylveon with Hyper Voice, Psyshock, Baton Pass, and Heal Bell. Nothing wrong with a little innovation as my team lacks a cleric. As I said, I'm probably going to go back to Shadow Ball, but I just wanted to test Heal Bell out.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As an avid Specs Sylveon user I can safely say that you never ever use your filler coverage and barely ever use Psyshock either, so might as well run Heal Bell tbh.

As an avid Specs Sylveon user I can safely say that you never ever use your filler coverage and barely ever use Psyshock either, so might as well run Heal Bell tbh.
That may have been true for XY OU, but with Mega Metagross running around and being an extremely obvious switch in to Sylveon, nabbing it with Shadow Ball as it comes in and watching his health go down to nearly zero puts a smile on my face c:

With that notion, and with the fact that Mega Venusaur usage has relatively died down, if I had to choose between Psyshock and Shadow Ball, I'd go with Shadow Ball, which actually has pretty much perfect neutral coverage with Pixilate Hyper Voice.

Reactions: zbr
Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Altaria @ Altariaite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 64HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
0 Happiness
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Just a cool bulky Offense / Balance SFD core I'm intending to try out (will edit when tested).

Basic idea of the core is to put pressure on the opposing team through Rocks and T-Wave support, then go to town with the appropriate sweeper. Both Clef and Altaria are able to find numerous setup opportunities, so weakening the other team alongside Regi is easy.

SpD Registeel is actually getting better in this meta, and boasts the ability to hard check most variants of Greninja. On my phone atm but iirc LK fails to OHKO, so if Regi is already in, he's able to get off a possible T-Wave and cripple ninja.

Regi of course also soaks up steel hits for the other two, and can weaken the opposing team accordingly, applying supportive pressure.

Altaria loves rocks and T-Wave support, and has great defensive synergy with Regi. One of the best DD sweepers in the tier, and really appreciates the support the other two can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)