Other ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a core here that's pretty common on the ladder. My apologies if it's already been posted; I searched the thread for it but didn't come up with anything, so disregard this if for some reason I missed this. This core was good in X & Y as well - thanks to its type diversity and moves, it can offer your team a lot of support.

+
+

Rotom-W has great defensive typing, being weak to only grass. It also resists Ice-type moves that trouble Landorus-T, as well as the fire-type moves that Ferrothorn is weak to. But the main point here is that Rotom-W offers slow Volt Switches, which can safely bring in Pokémon that would normally have trouble switching in, such as Mega Beedrill or Talonflame. It can also burn the opponent to half their attack stat, and that's always helpful. However, Pokémon like Mega Sceptile trouble Rotom-W, and that's where the other two team members come in. Landorus-T offers a fast U-turn, which nails Mega Sceptile, among other grass-types, as well as psychic and dark-types, super-effectively. It can also unleash a fast Rock Slide, which also has a small chance of flinching and doesn't have the accuracy issues that Stone Edge does. Lastly, Ferrothorn serves as the mixed wall of the core, being able to take pretty much any hit but fire-type moves and strong fighting-type moves. Leech Seed forces switches as well as restores the health of whatever Pokémon is currently on the field, while Stealth Rock is the entry hazard that is needed on any...er, most serious teams. Overall, this core is pretty effective at safely switching in frail Pokémon, so Mega Beedrill, as mentioned before, and frail megas / Pokémon appreciate this core's presence. Of course, you're going to need a Defogger or spinner as well, and Lati@s probably is the best choice for this, as with Excadrill you have a double grass and double fire weakness.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Last edited by a moderator:
This core was posted in Good Cores of XY OU.
I didn't check that thread, but it still stands that it's pretty good in ORAS OU, especially considering that they can check some of the new megas. Lando checks Sceptile, Diancie, and Beedrill, among others, and Ferrothorn scares Swampert lacking Low Kick out. But I'll check that thread next time I post a core. :P

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, bringing you guys an incredibly good core that I'm surprised nobody has posted yet.

+

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald / Surf
- Energy Ball

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

As you all know, both Manaphy and Mega Gallade are excellent sweepers. However, Mega Gallade really struggles to break through common defensive Pokemon, particularly Mega Sableye, Mega Slowbro, and to some extent Unaware Clefable. Mega Gallade is such a threat to defensive or balanced teams that it basically invites Mega Sableye / Slowbro in for free, which is a great opportunity for Manaphy to setup a Tail Glow. With Rain Dance, Manaphy can avoid pesky status from these two Pokemon, in the form of Will-O-Wisp from Mega Sableye and Scald burns from Mega Slowbro. While it isnt too common, Manaphy struggles to break through Mega Venusaur, which Gallade can deal massive damage to with a STAB Zen Headbutt. While they may not have any great type synergy, they do an excellent job of breaking down each others checks and counters to allow a sweep. Give it a go :]

Edit: Thanks to Firehusky for getting me the Mega Gallade sprite :)

Last edited:
Alright, bringing you guys an incredibly good core that I'm surprised nobody has posted yet.

+
(shh just imagine this is mega)

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald / Surf
- Energy Ball

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

As you all know, both Manaphy and Mega Gallade are excellent sweepers. However, Mega Gallade really struggles to break through common defensive Pokemon, particularly Mega Sableye, Mega Slowbro, and to some extent Unaware Clefable. Mega Gallade is such a threat to defensive or balanced teams that it basically invites Mega Sableye / Slowbro in for free, which is a great opportunity for Manaphy to setup a Tail Glow. With Rain Dance, Manaphy can avoid pesky status from these two Pokemon, in the form of Will-O-Wisp from Mega Sableye and Scald burns from Mega Slowbro. While it isnt too common, Manaphy struggles to break through Mega Venusaur, which Gallade can deal massive damage to with a STAB Zen Headbutt. While they may not have any great type synergy, they do an excellent job of breaking down each others checks and counters to allow a sweep. Give it a go :]
I came here to literally post this, but with SubPuP mLop + Manaphy. . .

I have been experimenting with it as of late, and the two destroy everything. Literally everything. Nothing is safe.
I don't intend to steal your thunder, but SubPuP mLop + TGRD Manaphy is also an amazing Wall and stall breaking core.
Will get into more detail at a later point.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I came here to literally post this, but with SubPuP mLop + Manaphy. . .

I have been experimenting with it as of late, and the two destroy everything. Literally everything. Nothing is safe.
I don't intend to steal your thunder, but SubPuP mLop + TGRD Manaphy is also an amazing Wall and stall breaking core.
Will get into more detail at a later point.
I'm kinda iffy on that core. With Mega Gallade, Manaphy's main role is to dismantle Mega Sableye, which Lopunny has no trouble with because of scrappy, as long as sableye has mega evolved. You can just 2HKO with HJK or sub on the wisp and start boosting. Both Lopunny and Gallade certainly appreciate Manaphy taking down Slowbro, but I feel Mega Sableye tends to be a bit more bothersome.

I'm kinda iffy on that core. With Mega Gallade, Manaphy's main role is to dismantle Mega Sableye, which Lopunny has no trouble with because of scrappy, as long as sableye has mega evolved. You can just 2HKO with HJK or sub on the wisp and start boosting. Both Lopunny and Gallade certainly appreciate Manaphy taking down Slowbro, but I feel Mega Sableye tends to be a bit more bothersome.
Although, you're absolutely right about mSableye, Manaphy covers the things that can deal with mLop as well. Such as Unaware Clefable and Quagsire, Amoonguss and mVenusaur, Landorus-T, the list goes on. Although a relatively similar core, they cover a different array of pokes.

+

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald / Surf
- Energy Ball

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

This is tasty. Only thing that can potentially handle this core is Unaware Clefable. If it is Sdef, it won't handle Gallade too well and if phys, Manaphy can break with rain-boosted Surf or Scald burns. Anyways, I'm making a team around this. Awesome core.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
This is tasty. Only thing that can potentially handle this core is Unaware Clefable. If it is Sdef, it won't handle Gallade too well and if phys, Manaphy can break with rain-boosted Surf or Scald burns. Anyways, I'm making a team around this. Awesome core.
Yeah, Unaware Clefable can be a bit annoying, however, it gets worn down by entry hazards without magic guard and isnt all too common from what I've seen.

Yeah, Unaware Clefable can be a bit annoying, however, it gets worn down by entry hazards without magic guard and isnt all too common from what I've seen.
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable in Rain: 202-238 (51.2 - 60.4%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Manaphy beats Clefable if it switches in, and SDef Unaware Clefable is not a thing, because it's not viable. So Unaware Clefable doesn't quite counter both of the members. I feel like taking into account moonblast's special attack drops would be a bit too much

252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable in Rain: 202-238 (51.2 - 60.4%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Manaphy beats Clefable if it switches in, and SDef Unaware Clefable is not a thing, because it's not viable. So Unaware Clefable doesn't quite counter both of the members. I feel like taking into account moonblast's special attack drops would be a bit too much
Scald can also allow Manaphy to potentially get past Clefable with burns, and force some Clefable to waste turns using Heal Bell to get rid of said burns.

Manaphy beats Clefable if it switches in, and SDef Unaware Clefable is not a thing, because it's not viable.
What? I've had a lot of success with Sp. Def Unaware, especially on stall teams, with both SR/Heal Bell and Wish sets.

I know, personal experience means nothing, but someone tell me I'm not taking crazy pills here.

+

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald / Surf
- Energy Ball

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

This seems like a really fun core, but out of curiosity, what are the Speed EVs meant to outspeed?

This is a solid DFS balance core which forms the backbone of most of my successful teams. Azu + Ferro have perfect defensive synergy with Ferrrothorn resisting electric and grass and being immune to poison and Azumaril resisting fire and fighting for Ferrothorn. Latias provides defog support for the rest of the team allowing to partner this core with the likes of Talonflame and other fire types. Latias is also a more reliable check to Keldeo than Azumaril and has all her weaknesses but ghost covered by AzuThorn (and how relevant is ghost in this current meta with only 1 ghost type in OU and only few mons using it for coverage). Personally I prefer using another stealth rocker besides Ferrothorn (often Landorus-T) since Ferrothorn is essential for the defensive aspect of the team this core is on. I use spikes on him instead as spikes are just an optional but useful hazard that I set up if I have a free turn.

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Fiyero (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes/Stealth Rocks

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish/Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Psyshock

This is a solid DFS balance core which forms the backbone of most of my successful teams. Azu + Ferro have perfect defensive synergy with Ferrrothorn resisting electric and grass and being immune to poison and Azumaril resisting fire and fighting for Ferrothorn. Latias provides defog support for the rest of the team allowing to partner this core with the likes of Talonflame and other fire types. Latias is also a more reliable check to Keldeo than Azumaril and has all her weaknesses but ghost covered by AzuThorn (and how relevant is ghost in this current meta with only 1 ghost type in OU and only few mons using it for coverage). Personally I prefer using another stealth rocker besides Ferrothorn (often Landorus-T) since Ferrothorn is essential for the defensive aspect of the team this core is on. I use spikes on him instead as spikes are just an optional but useful hazard that I set up if I have a free turn.

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Fiyero (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes/Stealth Rocks

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish/Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Psyshock
Yeah I mean the core looks good on paper, but I dont see it being effective if it is a defensive backbone. I mean my team alone has like 3 mons that hit all 3 mons SE or neutrally in bisharp which can SD on ferro risking basically nothing and hit azu with a strong iron head, I have gengar which just spams ghost verse the whole core, and mega manectric which also hits the whole core SE(although latias is a good answer). Those are just mons from my team, so I think its safe to say that this core is pretty easily broken down by any sort of offensive pressure. I dont really know how to change it or anything, but I just wanted to point out that covering types isnt enough for defensive synergy you need to think about what mons the core is trying to wall and then think about their movesets because most offensive mons this gen can just smack everything with neutral hits and get 2hkos like mega gallade also is a problem for this core as it ohkos 2 members and 2hkos the second.

Yeah I mean the core looks good on paper, but I dont see it being effective if it is a defensive backbone. I mean my team alone has like 3 mons that hit all 3 mons SE or neutrally in bisharp which can SD on ferro risking basically nothing and hit azu with a strong iron head, I have gengar which just spams ghost verse the whole core, and mega manectric which also hits the whole core SE(although latias is a good answer). Those are just mons from my team, so I think its safe to say that this core is pretty easily broken down by any sort of offensive pressure. I dont really know how to change it or anything, but I just wanted to point out that covering types isnt enough for defensive synergy you need to think about what mons the core is trying to wall and then think about their movesets because most offensive mons this gen can just smack everything with neutral hits and get 2hkos like mega gallade also is a problem for this core as it ohkos 2 members and 2hkos the second.
Yeah this is a core that I used in X and Y so it has those flaws but keep in mind I do have teammates to check, counter and set up on the mons you mentioned. Perhaps "defensive backbone" isn't really applicable without showing the rest of the team. However on every team I use these three they end up taking the brunt of the opponent's assault so maybe that's why I described it as such. Obviously I can't put all 6 mons as it does not qualify as a core. Remember a core can't cover everything and these three mons cover a lot.

Ferrothorn and Diancie support each other really decently well. Diancie uses the offensive options of Moonblast, Diamond Storm and Earth Power while Ferrothorn uses a Spikes set. I thought about this core when I was working on the basic structure of : Spikes + Offensive pressure that keeps flying and levitating types off the field. Diancie reall loves spikes as well as they allow it to ko possible checks more easily like Empoleon, Chansey, Porygon2, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel and others I'm forgetting. As far as type synergy goes, Ferrothorn switches in on water attacks and sets up spikes on bulky water types, but more offensive water types can be problematic, such as mega gyarados and keldeo, especially since ferro doesn't pack grass stab. Diancie switches in on fire type attackers like Heatran (it also prevents rocks if heatran is the defensive set and only packs fire stab after diancie has evolved) and Talonflame, and checks ZardX decently. Ferrothorn soft checks ground types that would like to revenge kill Diancie and can take Steel-type moves, although Hammer Arm Metagross and SD Bisharp beat it. Another pain for Ferrothorn, Mega Sableye, is heavily threatened by Diancie, although this core doesn't fare too well against any SkarmBliss Stall type of team (but these are very passive hence easy to take advantage of).
Here come the sets :

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 8 Atk / 60 Def / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm/Hidden Power [Fire] since I don't think I ever used DStorm but without it roost talon beats both mons
- Rock Polish

Diancie EVs allow to tank two CB Brave Birds from Talon' without rocks up. Speed allows to outspeed jolly Exca in sand after Rock Polish, and neutral base 100 too.

As for threats to the core, HP Fire greninja, Gallade, Scarftran, Keldeo, Hammer Arm Metagross, EQ ZardX are some of the ones I can think of.

That's pretty much it. Tell me what you guys think about it, and also if someone could link me to some place to find oras/xy sprites that'd be cool, thanks for reading !

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Offensive Core: Tri Bunny
Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Diggersby (F) @ Life Orb
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

These sets are more placeholder than anything and this isn't exactly a new concept but I'm surprised no one brought it up yet since it's an extremely fun and efficient core in regards to the mons used. The general idea is to utilize offensive pressure in various forms with these three. These sets specifically capitalize on M-Lopunnie's SubPass set to mitigate status effects and provide a buffer to Azumarill for setting up BD more easily and for Diggersby to utilize its power more effectively with Sub compensating for its below average bulk. This core is more for the mons themselves and the sets are really dependent on the team more or less. Some examples would be Fake out M-Lopunny, Choice Band Azumarill, and Life Orb Diggersby with an elemental punch over Knock Off, using the Subpass set with SD Diggersby instead of BD Azu or hell, even two set up sweepers if you want lol. Healing Wish Latias, Celebi, and Jirachi are great partners for the core to give members a second chance while Prankster Twave users Thundurus and Klefki with the former providing stall breaking utility and the latter providing hazard support for easier cleaning late game. Rock Setters in the form of Ferrothorn and Heatran pair well with the core along with Magnezone for an easier time of eliminating Ferro, Skarmory, and Scizor even though BD Knock Off Azu has an easy time doing this at least for the first two. There's a lot of possibilities with the use of these 3 so feel free to experiment.

On mega lopunny, would power up punch be a possibility? Just the prospect of giving diggersby / azumarill a +1, and a free sub completely scares me. Encore is also a possibility since mega lop can encore lots of defensive mons like ferrothorn into moves like leech seed after subbing. Encore also allows mega lopunny more turns for it to sub, and then baton pass to azumarill which can use the sub to get up a free belly drum and then go to town. These 3 also have really good synergy because they are all bunnies

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
On mega lopunny, would power up punch be a possibility? Just the prospect of giving diggersby / azumarill a +1, and a free sub completely scares me. Encore is also a possibility since mega lop can encore lots of defensive mons like ferrothorn into moves like leech seed after subbing. Encore also allows mega lopunny more turns for it to sub, and then baton pass to azumarill which can use the sub to get up a free belly drum and then go to town. These 3 also have really good synergy because they are all bunnies
There's an endless amount of possibilities tbh. I do like Subpass with a setup sweeper though. Makes it sooo much easier to set up and sweep but again there's a lot of ways you can utilize the 3 effectively. So go wild dude.

Question for diggersby's set:
Is jolly worth it? I think adamant is probably better. Diggersby will probably be behind a sub most of the time, and this acts as a priority shield, and works as a 1 time shield against an attack. Adamant gives diggersby so much more power and the only thing you would want to outspeed would be jolly breloom, but idk, since most of the time breloom will be sashed so it can live a hit.

AM

LCPL Champion
Question for diggersby's set:
Is jolly worth it? I think adamant is probably better. Diggersby will probably be behind a sub most of the time, and this acts as a priority shield, and works as a 1 time shield against an attack. Adamant gives diggersby so much more power and the only thing you would want to outspeed would be jolly breloom, but idk, since most of the time breloom will be sashed so it can live a hit.
I use Jolly Diggersby because Speedy Heatrans are a thing now which gives me the advantage for that and the reassurance if the Sub isn't up. Adamant is fine too. All preference and based on your own needs more than anything.

Edit: And out prioritizing Jolly Bisharp and Breloom with Quick Attack is also pretty clutch at times as well with Jolly nature so there's that also.

I've been using manual rain inducer Swampert on an HO team and since I do not like using Torn-T on non rain teams.I've looked upon other mons and I seem to have found it on Talonflame.The common things that deter Swampert from sweeping are Ferrothorn. Celebi and Skarm.Talonflame can comfortably beat all this and he can even set up on Celebi and Ferrothorn.

Meanwhile the best checks to Talonflame are Thundurus, Manectric and Raikou, Scarf Magnezone(if adamant and not fully invested in speed) and Scarf magneton. Swampert can all set up on this.

They also share the same counter in Rotom-W, so if Rotom is the only one preventing either from sweeping. You can play aggressively and wear down it using
either so it opens up an opportunity for the other to clean up.

This core appreciates a grass type, to form the infamous FWG. I found Spikes Ferrothorn to be an excellent partner.

Edit: I am sorry for the mild presentation. I will put an importable and some pics later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)