Sports NBA Thread: 2022-2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Warriors/Lakers Game 4 will likely tell us the series winner.

Game 3 was another monster defensive performance from the Lakers. They've had quite a few wins with paltry three point shooting which is incredibly old school. As previously stated last month, regardless of who wins it all, metrics on defense and rebounding still greatly define post-season victory.

Lakers decided to put Reaves on Curry, Vanderbilt on Draymond Green, Russell on Thompson, and and Davis on JaMychal Green. The success of these tweaks did a couple of good things:

- So as long as JaMychal Green isn't prolific with his shot Davis/James can feel safe to camp in the paint or roam.

- Vanderbilt can switch the Draymond/Curry pnr, and is long and fast enough to bother Curry, drop-off passes in space, and contest Green or rely on Davis for help.

- Reaves at least has strength against Curry, and if cross-matched can potentially draw fouls on him

- Russell has not shown defensive weaknesses yet, but it certainly helps that he's scoring against Warrior guards.

- With Davis either using his speed and length to bother Draymond/Curry, or roam while on the other Green, we can effectively say the Draymond/Curry pnr is in trouble of being limited.

The refereeing of this game was also a bit different, clearly in favor of the Lakers' aggression to the basket.

I wouldn't say the Warriors are down and out yet still, but when it comes to examining just the three games, they've made more wholesale adjustments thus far, they've slightly been the ones with a shorter rotation, and their bread and butter once again has been sniffed out. Expect there to be more straight up Curry isos and him attempting to individually dominate whoever is on him. Kerr has to hit the panic button at this point and just let Curry cook and pass out open guys like game 7 in the last series. We also need to see more offensively from Wiggins. He should definitely be trying to test LeBron's capacity for individual defense as well as going at the Laker guards since he has size over absolutely all of them. I'd try more Curry/Wiggins pnr even if LeBron is on him. People sometimes forget Wiggins is a true capable scorer in his own right. I'd also think about anything that will make Davis work on the defensive end... perhaps Curry wants to try to get Davis switched on him. It's a gamble that may be worth taking.

Meanwhile, Lakers still have another offensive ceiling we just haven't seen and thats LeBron hunting for Curry and other Warrior guards which he did a little bit in game 3. Any additional offensive juice from the likes of LeBron will tip the series in the Lakers' favor.

Celtics/Sixers... I truly think Sixers have what it takes to beat them. They still may lose, but the way the series is unfolding is unlike the previous two. What it seems to come down to is how well Embiid/Harden (and sometimes Maxey) perform in isolation versus Brown/Tatum's own isolation. Celtics get a bit of a bonus when it comes to transition as that's a strength they have that is one of Philadelphia's main weaknesses. On the other hand, Celtics have been woeful in crunch time compared to Philadelphia.

Essentially, if Harden can continue to score on Williams, Horford, Brogdon, and Brown, Sixers will be in the game. Brown/Tatum essentially do the same thing. It's just a matter of which duo (or sometimes Maxey) is more efficient and has better shotmakers. That is a variable we can't foresee. At least in previous matchups, there was no one on the perimeter who could match Tatum/Brown for Philadelphia. Now they have guys who can at least get hot and help Embiid out with spacing or whenever he doesn't have it during a stretch.
I feel like the way the 76ers have been handling the Celtics it's been very impressive. First time I really focused in, especially put down money. Harden is looking like Rockets Harden / Early Brooklyn Harden. Embiid is injured but an 80% Embiid is still a top 20 player in the league. Tobias Harris has been locking down Tatum. I feel like the Celtics got figured out, they keep forcing Smart to shoot 3's, him and Horford, but the lane is clogged and they have to rely on Free throws (Celtics)

Miami might close down this series tonight, which is crazy because they don't have Dipo / Herro. Jimmy Butler in the playoffs ngl is like a top 5 player in the league.

Warriors / Lakers game will be a back breaker to either team imo. Warriors gotta change up something tho

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
steph curry really knows how to fuck everything up

awyp

htbh never hated on Harden idk why he dropped so hard skill wise from the Nets 2nd season / first 2 years with the Sixers.

on another note Jokic: after watching yesterdays game I think if he wins 1/2 chips he can go down as a top 10 player. Dude's an amazing fucking talent he's so dominating on the offensive end.

htbh never hated on Harden idk why he dropped so hard skill wise from the Nets 2nd season / first 2 years with the Sixers.
I'd say a mix of injuries and being traded mid-season (and being traded twice in less than 4/5 years) would have a lot to do with it. Harden played the same way for almost a decade and then he was thrusted in new/toxic environments with little preparation or stability.

awyp

I'd say a mix of injuries and being traded mid-season (and being traded twice in less than 4/5 years) would have a lot to do with it. Harden played the same way for almost a decade and then he was thrusted in new/toxic environments with little preparation or stability.
My g I would agree but that's not the case. Maybe injuries but definitely not being traded twice in 2 years. Ngl this year Harden had a pretty decent year

1683729877856.png

but look at that drop off in the 2021-22 season, that's what I'm talking about look at the FG% and 3PM%, 21 points this season for someone who could avg 36 a game is what I think people are shocked about (even tho he's playing a more pg role now)

That was a season where Brooklyn in general was terrible. It had a terrible locker room, roster, and KD/Kyrie were out extensively while Harden harbored slight injuries. Then he was traded. Harden is about rhythm. I'm not sure what you presented changed my stance on that.

If the argument is "people shouldn't be shocked that people were shocked", well, sure I guess. I wasn't one of the shocked ones because I understand his heliocentric playing style benefited him and it just wasn't there when you present sudden changes.

Last edited:

Surfy

is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
I may be in the minority here and am willing to be wrong, but I think the Lakers are gonna close it out tonight. Hoping we can finally see the Warriors lose a Western Conference series for the first time since 2014.

awyp

I may be in the minority here and am willing to be wrong, but I think the Lakers are gonna close it out tonight. Hoping we can finally see the Warriors lose a Western Conference series for the first time since 2014.
i can see it happening. i think knicks are done and probably last game is today. they have no motivation

Tatum saved himself from generational slander in that 4th quarter, outscoring the Sixers by himself. That's gonna be a fun game 7. Can't say I have a lot of confidence in Doc Rivers to put on a coaching masterclass in Boston lol

Also, the Suns were so clearly outmatched this series. Despite Cameron Payne's best efforts, they just couldn't stave off elimination. Happy to see the Nuggets go far in these playoffs though.

awyp

I think Lakers close it out tonight, Lakers Nuggets rematch. This Nuggets team is completely different and much better than the Bubble team.

That game last night game me so many heart attacks
Marcus Smart so good
still can't believe that the sixers gave up down 8 with 90 seconds left

I have to root for Lakers again so that we dont get stuck with the midday game on mother's day smh
can't wait till next round to root for joker to sweep them

Despite Gabe Vincent's best efforts, the Heat won tonight.

Bam and Lowry brought that one home for Miami. Incredible plays from both of them. Jimmy's shooting was terrible, but he operated well out of the double team and facilitated some great ball movement. I liked his defense on Randle.

Jalen Brunson is really special. It's a shame he has to do everything for his team to have a chance.

awyp

Despite Gabe Vincent's best efforts, the Heat won tonight.

Bam and Lowry brought that one home for Miami. Incredible plays from both of them. Jimmy's shooting was terrible, but he operated well out of the double team and facilitated some great ball movement. I liked his defense on Randle.

Jalen Brunson is really special. It's a shame he has to do everything for his team to have a chance.
As a Mavs fan, him not getting re-signed hurts me a little every time I see him play.

awyp

no basketball today :(

but game 7 tmrw so I have some thoughts, I put a decent amount of money that 76ers would get to the NBA finals. Now I'm not super confident because Boston is a very good team and they're at home. It will be a game of who's making more 3's. 76ers shouldn't have lost game 6, Tatum played so bad and somehow pulled out a close victory. Harden also had a nasty game going 4-16. When Harden plays well they win, so if Harden can't figure it out Celtics will win.

Lakers vs Nuggets matchup: I've been eyeing this matchup from Round 1, I saw it coming. This is honestly the only team in the West that I think matches up with the Lakers very well, you have a lot of length and a consistent bench and alternate players when Jokic isn't on the floor. The only way Lakers win is if they consistently put Jokic in foul trouble. This Lakers team is worse than the Bubble team and this Nuggets team is better than the Bubble team, so matchup technically should be closer. I'm going with the Nuggets

awyp

Lakers in 6 (Corgi got cooked last night)
Reaves is Lakers 3rd best player, and why I love him is his rookie season no one believed in him they just put him in for floor spacing, and now he's made an actual name for himself.

HILLYBILLY KOBE

• Wow
Reactions: DC

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Actual analysis (and not just memes lol):
Wonder if we actually keep going with our effective triple guard LU of Reaves, DLo, and Schroder (and Walker at the end) + Lebron/Vanderbilt + AD/Hachimura. We got away with using this smaller LU cuz the warriors are a jump shooting team lul, but the Nuggets are a bigger team (Like MPJ, Gordon, Bruce Brown, and Jokic). AD is surely gonna be gassed guarding Jokic (especially since I am expecting at least 6 games), and we need the production from the guards to make up for his expected decreased offensive production. Vanderbilt saw a huge decrease in minutes the past few games, but we surely need him to limit Murray or KCP (hopefully :pikuh:). Ideally, we don't have to use Tristan Thompson haha.

Well damn, I was off the mark about Reaves defense in this series. It seemed like he got slightly better and had more confidence each game. The Laker guards in general overall have been phenomenal defensively.

awyp

Today is a game 7 day, one of the most exciting days of the year sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t. Will the 76ers fumble it or pull an upset?

Will the Boston Celtics get back to the finals? Will Tatum have an off night?

it’s also Mother’s Day, so happy Mother’s Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)