Comic Book Nerds Thread

I wish there was a black mainstream superhero.. other than ya know Static Shock (Iceman from Incredibles don't count).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wish there was a black mainstream superhero.. other than ya know Static Shock (Iceman from Incredibles don't count).
John Stewart, BlackGreen Lantern (do not confuse with white Comedy Central host)

Yes, they do this to Green Lantern a lot. And I guess Black Panther from The Avengers qualifies.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
you're in luck

reckon it's true, especially after Wakanda's cameo in Iron Man 2. and it will of course mean Black Panther will appear in The Avengers 2.

other than T'Challa, you have Captain America's sidekick - the Falcon, Avenger Luke Cage, War Machine (aka Iron Man 2.0), Blade, Nick Fury (hehe), X-men's Storm (Black Panther's missus fyi), Ultimate Spiderman, Spawn...yeah, that's all I got.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If we're being thorough...

I've already mentioned Steel, the black man that they tried to replace Superman with. He's pretty cool. Then there is Cyborg, introduced in the 1970s as an equal member of the Teen Titans. The new Aqualad is black, and he features heavily in the newest DC tv show Young Justice (which is an amazing show). Firestorm is a Justice League staple, and my favorite Green Lantern is John Stewart. Then you have Mal Duncan, Vixen, Icon, Bumblebee, and Black Lightning.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
you're in luck

reckon it's true, especially after Wakanda's cameo in Iron Man 2. and it will of course mean Black Panther will appear in The Avengers 2.

other than T'Challa, you have Captain America's sidekick - the Falcon, Avenger Luke Cage, War Machine (aka Iron Man 2.0), Blade, Nick Fury (hehe), X-men's Storm (Black Panther's missus fyi), Ultimate Spiderman, Spawn...yeah, that's all I got.
If we're being thorough...

I've already mentioned Steel, the black man that they tried to replace Superman with. He's pretty cool. Then there is Cyborg, introduced in the 1970s as an equal member of the Teen Titans. The new Aqualad is black, and he features heavily in the newest DC tv show Young Justice (which is an amazing show). Firestorm is a Justice League staple, and my favorite Green Lantern is John Stewart. Then you have Mal Duncan, Vixen, Icon, Bumblebee, and Black Lightning.
Damn, i'm into the wrong shit. Here i am having a very hard time finding the perfect black male character cosplay to be my first ever cosplay for next years Sakura con. Forget anime, i should have gotten into comics. Thats where all the cool black people hang apparently. i could have been green lanturn or black panther ffs :(

Edit: OR STATIC SHOCK, I COULD HAVE BEEN STATIC SHOCK. i'd totally grow my hair out for that...... and make my white friend go as my white, super smart sidekick/partner. its perfect actually; curse you comic books superior support over anime for the black race

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Ninahaza said:
Here i am having a very hard time finding the perfect black male character cosplay to be my first ever cosplay for next years Sakura con
Black Spartan!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Posts like this are amusing because not only do they manage to miss the entire point of this, they actually reinforce it.

Any given character in media is assumed to be heterosexual until stated otherwise, and when it is stated otherwise, there's always inevitably a big fuss to the extent of "why does it matter whether he's gay, who cares". When you stop caring about writers making a character gay, we can consider the portrayal of homosexuality in media a social non-issue. The character is gay because the writers want him to be gay, for whatever reason. If you think his sexual orientation shouldn't matter, you should react the exact same way you would if you found out that they were making literally any other characterization decision ("he's tall", "he's skinny", "he wears a pink leotard").

---

Anyway, I have no problem with people who say "this guy shouldn't be gay, that goes against his character" as opposed to people who say "this guy shouldn't be gay, it shouldn't matter". I feel like the latter reason is duplicitous when it comes to its implication, because saying "it doesn't matter if he's gay" essentially states that it's not acceptable to characterize someone as gay (lest it be assumed to be a publicity stunt) which seems to assert the opposite of the point these people are trying to imply.
"Okay. So what?" was pretty much my reaction to the topic title. I'm not the one who made news of the thing, so don't insult me.

Indeed, I and most people probably assume heterosexuality unless given evidence to the contrary. I assume people are right-handed as well until proven otherwise because hey, that's just the norm and it's not something I can physically see. But unless the issue is brought up in relevant context or someone just explicitly asks, there's no reason for that particular characterization value to be mentioned at all. Otherwise it's just... why are you telling me this? Who cares? In this case, there is context. There's Green Lantern kissing a dude in the comic book (throwing an object with his left hand, etc.) plain as day. Great! I don't have a problem with that any more than I can see his skin color or height. The "big fuss" was made when Matt Moore of the Associated Press decided to write an article about it all "Alert the presses, Green Lantern's gay!"-like and make an issue of something that shouldn't be.

So exactly how many left-handed superheroes are there anyway?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
There were infinite until Crisis on Infinite Earths, then there was one until Infinite Crisis, and there have been 52 ever since. Marvel has infinite, though.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
does nobody know who Storm is anymore? i mean it's not like nizahaza can cosplay as her but how the fuck has she not been brought up as a black even female superhero yet

EDIT: motherfucker somehow i missed that on lee's post

does nobody know who Storm is anymore? i mean it's not like nizahiza can cosplay as her but how the fuck has she not been brought up as a black even female superhero yet

EDIT: motherfucker somehow i missed that on lee's post

Now you're just embarrasing yourself.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
since this thread has run its course i asked evan to make this into a comics thread, for general comic discussion. for now i just wanna talk about the comics i picked up this week, spoilers obviously, so deal with it.

Avengers Academy 31: yay, i love the avengers academy gang and the young x-men. in this issue they end up going at each other first for real, and then fake fighting after trying to understand each other. highlights include hercules' excellent acting and loa, just sticking around. loa is a cool character (i had previously picked up the namor series just cause she was in it). i hope she sticks around. next issues deals juston and his friend (a huge friggin sentinel). miss frost comes along fun ensues >_>

Avengers vs X-Men 5: huge fight on the moon and the phoenix finally arrives to take its host. wasnt expecting that to happen so fast, but shit, it ends up possessing the x-men (cyclops, frost, colossus, namor, and magick). bricks were shat and i became giddy. this series is getting more interesting.

Uncanny X-men 13: kinda takes place after this weeks avengers academy but before AvsX, big reason why i hate multi-issue crossovers is i end up reading them in the wrong order. this was a good book though. nice interaction between storm/magneto/psylocke, all the hustle of the previous story is gone. this issue brings back 2012's best villain that looks like a vibrator, Unit.

X-Factor 237: banshee and polaris take rahne on a road trip so she can cheer up after all the shits shes been through. wolfsbane finally stops wallowing in self pity and decides to find her son (who is currently with jack russel, aka, werewolf by night who found him in a cave after he gutted a person right after he was vomited up by his mother. dogs are weird.)

Dark Avengers 175: Formerly the thunderbolts, this new arc brings in a new team of thunderbolts consisting of the previous dark avengers (post-siege storyline). frankly, these guys suck and cant wait gunna, centurius, moonstone and the rest to get back to this timeline.

Avatar The Last Airbender, The Promise 1 & 2: little late picking these books up. this continues from when the cartoon ended (where aang takes away ozai's bending). in it we see zuko make aang promise if he gets out of control like his father, that aang will end him. so zuko, aang, and the earth king all decide that the fire nation will retreat from the earth kingdom. zuko, after consulting with his father decides that aint gonna happen and we end book 2 with the earth kingdom advancing to war and aang worrying about keeping his promise. meanwhile sokka helps toph train her first metal bending students, hilarity ensues.

What comic series would you recommend a noob, such as myself? I enjoy my fair share of comic book based cartoons such as X-Men (1990's), The Incredible Hulk (1990's), and X-Men: Evolution. I would appreciate the help.

Too add on, I'm currently filling out my application to work at a comic book store that is at my Mall. The reason I'm trying to work there because it is a music and comic book store, they sell a load of music merchandise from big known bands, top 40 artists, to obscure bands a casual radio listener or "classic" rock junkie would be oblivious to. As an aspiring vocalist I would love to work at that store, I have my music knowledge down and I have some little knowledge of comic book stuff I guess from watching some cartoons.

Edit: I've read #1-6 of Astonishing X-Men from my local library.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just wanted to say that the only reason that I don't like Donald Glover is because Ultimate Peter Parker was the most adorable person ever. He deserved to live, much like how Dead Man deserved to live during Brightest Day.

Ugh.
Superhero deaths get me sometimes.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What comic series would you recommend a noob, such as myself? I enjoy my fair share of comic book based cartoons such as X-Men (1990's), The Incredible Hulk (1990's), and X-Men: Evolution. I would appreciate the help.
Any- and everything Carl Barks. Then pick up some of Marco Rota's stuff, and Don Rosa.

Then read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's awesome.

I can't fathom how the Disney comics enjoy so little popularity in their country of origin. Over here, they are considered cultural heritage. They are humoristic, down-to-Earth, non-violent (usually) and overall quite neat. Especially those who are written and drawn by the same individual (Barks, Rota, Rosa, Jippes, van Horn).

In Norway, the weekly Donald Duck magazine has about 1 million regular readers. That's twenty per cent of the population. It's said that about one half of all Norwegians learned to read by the aid of Donald Duck. In Finland, it's apparently even more popular.

Myself, I've collected Donald comics since I was five years old. I'm now 21, and still thoroughly enjoy them. I have got many fond childhood memories from those stories. I might lack insight in the superhero comic tradition, but I feel that genre is a little too shallow for my taste. There doesn't seem to be much other than "random superheroes fighting (TM)", death is a temporary state and reboots lurk around every corner. Plus the endless bolding of random words!

Could somebody care to give a little further introduction to the superhero comics?

Damn, i'm into the wrong shit. Here i am having a very hard time finding the perfect black male character cosplay to be my first ever cosplay for next years Sakura con. Forget anime, i should have gotten into comics. Thats where all the cool black people hang apparently. i could have been green lanturn or black panther ffs :(
awww i usually just tell people to be who they want to be, i've seen plenty of people with dramatic skin tones cosplay as the palest of white characters and they come out great! it's mostly about having fun and appreciating your character, and if you can be happy with your costume then you're a good cosplayer imho. i mean, i'm gonna cosplay a green kid. i'm gonna paint myself green but still. at least his voice hasn't cracked yet so i'm allowed to sound like a girl.

i can't afford to commit to comics anymore though i have teen titans up to new 52 issue #1 when i dropped my subscription. yeah, it was a pretty bad comic for a long time but i felt like i had to be loyal to it. i was just sad that they suddenly weren't good. and teen titans didn't even make any sense since beast boy was still on the team and he was like 22.

i've read the odd batman compilation and i want to start hellboy because i'm a big fan of the movies but i have no extra money for them right now. a friend of mine has a ridiculous marvel collection worth crazy amounts that she got from her dad. like #1 original issues and crazy things like that.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah and you've been to Sakuracon a few times, so you know that people attend because they like anime but there is no requirement to cosplay as it. Plenty of video game characters, and a few comic book ones. I was Dan Hibiki at my last convention.

I'm a very, very casual comic book reader, but I do remember reading Watchmen two or three years ago and enjoying it very much, so I was a little skeptical when I heard about the planned prequels. However, I read an article today which suggested that they might actually be pretty damn good. The writer makes a good point in saying that these prequels can't really tarnish the reputation of the original, but at the same time the idea behind them doesn't really strike me as necessary - most of the backstories were pretty well fleshed out in the originals, iirc. Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)