Comic Book Nerds Thread

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't been a comic book nerd for a while but aren't there thousands of Green Lanterns? Of course there's at least one gay one.

you don't need to go back 50 years lol, there were negative reactions when the black spiderman thing went down last year
I reacted negatively because I liked Peter Parker =[

Joke about him making things with the ring

ed: yeah this is kind of an issue in media and i'm not sure what the right way to go about it is. you always hear complaints of - "there are no women or persons of color in this show/book/movie and that makes it bad" -- for TV, but sometimes friends groups just are abundantly white. or all male. and it looks bad to seemingly drop a "token" character in. you have to navigate expertly on that fulcrum between real life (which is realistic in how minority groupings don't define themselves by their minority status, but also in that friend groups aren't necessarily representative of tolerant messages) and the world of tolerance that you're trying to portray (in which ostensibly the same thing happens, but you find the perfect balance of groupings with your characters)

I would've thought it was Guy Gardner. I mean usually when something like this is announced it's with a less centric character. Then and again DC has about 500,000 earths and this Green Lantern was touched on 50 something years ago and has only been referenced in Earth 2. Whereas Hal Jordan or John Stewart are on the other 499,999 during the modern DC time.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Homosexuality will never stop being a civil rights issue until "publicity stunts" like this become non-news and someone being gay (real or fictional) is as natural as someone, say, being black. fucking bigots who cares :evan:
Posts like this are amusing because not only do they manage to miss the entire point of this, they actually reinforce it.

Any given character in media is assumed to be heterosexual until stated otherwise, and when it is stated otherwise, there's always inevitably a big fuss to the extent of "why does it matter whether he's gay, who cares". When you stop caring about writers making a character gay, we can consider the portrayal of homosexuality in media a social non-issue. The character is gay because the writers want him to be gay, for whatever reason. If you think his sexual orientation shouldn't matter, you should react the exact same way you would if you found out that they were making literally any other characterization decision ("he's tall", "he's skinny", "he wears a pink leotard").

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
At least Guy Gardner being gay would be hilarious.

"Any gay character" is not a step up. Especially when it reeks of cowardice. For instance it was so easy for JK Rowling to casually remark that Dumbledore was gay after all the books had been sold. If instead they introduced a new gay character and gave him his own comic that would be taking a chance that it would sell. If instead they introduced a new gay character and put him on the Justice League that might actually have been controversial instead of just being bitched about for a few days.

When you have characters that have been around for decades and have gone through countless character development, who have formed numerous relationships and often cases had spouses and children, what kind of a message does it send to just "switch" them gay? They could have at least found a character without any developed sexual preference like they did with Renee Montoya (who is now the Question and hence gay), but no, they didn't want a character who "comes out", because apparently DC thinks coming out is weak. Still think this is a step up?

you don't need to go back 50 years lol, there were negative reactions when the black spiderman thing went down last year
Ideally Peter Parker having always been white would always be portrayed as white. People bitch when their favorite character's hair color is wrong. What people didn't realize though was that Donald Glover was the best possible candidate for the role in spite of not looking like Peter Parker.

Any given character in media is assumed to be heterosexual until stated otherwise
With most characters it isn't an assumption. Love stories are shoehorned into every medium and when they aren't women are usually only around to flirt with male characters. The "super-progressive" DC turned Starfire into a sociopath who only values humans when having sex with them, and who runs around naked because "she's sexually liberated". It's just another annoying change to stab all your established fans in the back all in the name of finding the elusive new reader. This isn't the old Alan Scott. The old Alan Scott is dead, and by extension so are Jade and Obsidian. Everyone who was pissed off that DC killed Lean Harper a while back, now she just never existed. The list just goes on and on. This is a small addition.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Gaise! Did you know Ghirahim is sooooooooooooo totally gay?? Lets discuss the real life implications of this fictional character depicted as having stereotypical homosexual attributes!

Really guys, when did the Question turn gay?

EDIT: Ah nevermind just read vons other big post. You weren't talking about the Question, just some wannabe.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Read 52 Outlaw. It'll answer your question but more importantly, it is one of the best comic book reads out there.

Homosexuality will never stop being a civil rights issue until "publicity stunts" like this become non-news and someone being gay (real or fictional) is as natural as someone, say, being black. fucking bigots who cares :evan:
I dont know, if Alan Scott came out as black I think itd be pretty newsworthy.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
I think there should be more native american heroes, more gay heroes, more black heroes, chinese super heroes, etc etc

while they are just comic books, I think that they should reflect how different the world is more for the sake of the story and people in the real world

white people who have dead parents can get pretty boring after awhile

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
With most characters it isn't an assumption. Love stories are shoehorned into every medium and when they aren't women are usually only around to flirt with male characters. The "super-progressive" DC turned Starfire into a sociopath who only values humans when having sex with them, and who runs around naked because "she's sexually liberated". It's just another annoying change to stab all your established fans in the back all in the name of finding the elusive new reader. This isn't the old Alan Scott. The old Alan Scott is dead, and by extension so are Jade and Obsidian. Everyone who was pissed off that DC killed Lean Harper a while back, now she just never existed. The list just goes on and on. This is a small addition.
Wait, is this Starfire from Teen Titans we're talking about? Innocent little girl? Gets shy about kissing Robin? That's some bullshit.

Anyway, I have no problem with people who say "this guy shouldn't be gay, that goes against his character" as opposed to people who say "this guy shouldn't be gay, it shouldn't matter". I feel like the latter reason is duplicitous when it comes to its implication, because saying "it doesn't matter if he's gay" essentially states that it's not acceptable to characterize someone as gay (lest it be assumed to be a publicity stunt) which seems to assert the opposite of the point these people are trying to imply.

Ideally Peter Parker having always been white would always be portrayed as white. People bitch when their favorite character's hair color is wrong. What people didn't realize though was that Donald Glover was the best possible candidate for the role in spite of not looking like Peter Parker.
i was talking about the miles morales ultimate spiderman thing

Personally I don't care, and I think it's pretty much a publicity stunt by DC to hop on the whole "gay" train thing.

Personally I don't care, and I think it's pretty much a publicity stunt by DC to hop on the whole "gay" train thing.
This ^

They're taking older characters and messing around with them, nothing more than an attempt to appeal to the gay community.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's also double weaksauce because Green Lantern is more a TITLE than a singular superhero.

If they just focused on the hermaphroditic slug lantern of Earth 656 they could say they're breaking new ground. Instead they just gave Alan Scott's kids some serious daddy issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)