Comic Book Nerds Thread

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/05/3641276/green-lantern-relaunched-as-brave.html

Alan Scott, Green Lantern's most recent alter-ego, is supposedly gay according to James Robinson. He thought it'd be great to see a super hero be gay for a change. For all you hbutthurts, this is not Hal Jordan the original Green Lantern, it is merely a spin-off. Apparently the idea came of Robinson's gay son..

Here:

In May, Marvel Entertainment said super speedster Northstar will marry his longtime boyfriend in the pages of Astonishing X-Men. DC comics has other gay characters, too, including Kate Kane, the current Batwoman, the Question, and married characters Apollo and the Midnighter.
And in the pages of Archie Comics, Kevin Keller is one of the gang at Riverdale High School and gay, too.
DC has been a leader in incorporating gay characters into its comics — it had one of the first male gay kisses back in 1988.
Since then, numerous comic book heroes and villains have been written as gay, lesbian or transgender — from Batwoman to Hulkling and Wiccan in the pages of Young Avengers.
Green Lantern would be the highest-profile openly gay hero — even the parallel Earth version.
“It was just meant to be — Alan Scott being a gay member of the team, the Justice Society, that I’ll be forming in the pages of Earth 2,” Robinson said. “He’s just meant to be part of this big tapestry of characters.”
Some groups have protested the inclusion of gay characters, but Robinson isn’t discouraged, noting that being gay is just one aspect to Scott. “This guy, he’s a media mogul, a hero, a dynamic type-A personality and he’s gay,” Robinson said. “He’s a complex character.”

It seems Green Lantern is joining in these outburst of gay heroes.

My opinion? I don't give a fuck if they're gay or not, if they kick major ass they're awesome.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did you know that Albus Dumbledore had unrequited romantic feelings toward Grindelwald? Good job JK, not being sarcastic.

I remember seeing this on a very left winged site, praise of course was given by the liberal site. I myself see this as foolish and a publicity stunt.

Surprised its not Batman he does live in a cave with Robin....

The percentage of gay males in the comic multiverse seems surprisingly low considering the popularity of spandex and bright colors in it.

Thank God it wasn't John Stewart.

All that aside, I suppose it's not a bad thing. It raises awareness through DC's appeal to younger generations.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
no. hal jordan was the the first green lantern corp guy (the one based in space that we all know), but the original green lantern was alan scott.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
He already has two kids so whatever...

over at Marvel one of the alpha flight guys got gay married recently and ultimate colossus is gay. I think they should have made Kyle gay, since he's an "actual" GL and a p popular character, so it would be more notable, plus he wasn't married with kids before and isn't an old man. Alan Scott is kind of a second string nobody, even if he is superman-level strong (AKA stronger than the Hulk, Lee)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
No, it was Alan Scott. Hal Jordan was second. Also, Alan Scott's primary connection to the DC Universe for the past 20 years has been through his wife and two children. Including his daughter Jade, one of the Outsiders who went through a death and rebirth recently. A c-list character, she nevertheless had fans but now she doesn't exist.

Just like with Dumbledore who never came out of the closet, it kind of rings false when you can "switch" a character gay. I won't believe that the same company that set back women's portrayal in comic books 50 years with the assassination of Starfire's character is doing this for anything other than publicity.

Well look here:

But given that Earth 2 features retooled and rebooted characters, Scott is not old enough to have a grown son.
“By making him younger, that son was not going to exist anymore,” Robinson said.
“He doesn’t come out. He’s gay when we see him in Issue 2. He’s fearless and he’s honest to the point where he realized he was gay and he said. ‘I’m gay.’ ”

I guess that means that this is a completely different timeline..

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Homosexuality will never stop being a civil rights issue until "publicity stunts" like this become non-news and someone being gay (real or fictional) is as natural as someone, say, being black. fucking bigots who cares :evan:

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I don't see how this means anything. He's a fictional character. He isn't gay. He isn't anything. The authors just choose to portray him as gay from now on. Seems to me like it has less to do with supporting gay rights and more to do with
publicity

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I look forward to the upcoming comic book with this line:

Green Lantern Alan Scott: *GASP!* WOOD! MY ONLY WEAKNESS!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
ummm, how is that "racism"

also fully agreeing with both MrE and mattj, this is retardery

besides Marvel did it decades ago with Northstar

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
i'm sure there were similarly negative reactions when marvel introduced the first black superhero in the 60's - it reeks of publicity stunt but there is potential for good to come from it. When I was a child, homosexuality was a bit of a taboo and its exclusion from children's entertainment probably played a part in that. Anything that promotes tolerance in the next generation should be applauded imo. although they could still do more harm than good if they don't handle it properly - would suck if they make him a 'gay character' as opposed to a 'normal character that happens to be gay' if you get my meaning.

i'm sure there were similarly negative reactions when marvel introduced the first black superhero in the 60's - it reeks of publicity stunt but there is potential for good to come from it. When I was a child, homosexuality was a bit of a taboo and its exclusion from children's entertainment probably played a part in that. Anything that promotes tolerance in the next generation should be applauded imo. although they could still do more harm than good if they don't handle it properly - would suck if they make him a 'gay character' as opposed to a 'normal character that happens to be gay' if you get my meaning.
you don't need to go back 50 years lol, there were negative reactions when the black spiderman thing went down last year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)