Pokémon Vikavolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those spreads seem oddly specific. What specifically are you targeting with those spreads? What pokemon and moves does this guy survive with those spreads?

Other than that, what pokemon have you been pairing with Vikavolt? I'm just asking out of curiosity.
This one actually hasn't been trained yet, due to lack of power items. However I was using the agility variant while doing battle royal, and I realized it was surprisingly bulky for having 0 defense investments. Which got my curios how well he would do with a bulky set up vs an offensive set up. HP and SpD I feel as tho they need the most because they have the lowest base (77 and 75) it's special attack is through the roof so honestly I feel like you could switch defense and SpA spread and still walk be okay. but I can't verify at all I am sorry, however once I get it done I will post results.

I've been trying this out on rain teams:

Vikavolt @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Zap Plate
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder

I don't know if the items or moveset hit the mark, but the EV spread I think works out pretty well. (It speed creeps base 61s and below, basically tyranitar and clefables)

I just question what exactly kills me that full HP investment would let me live. I'm not sure if speed creeping is punishing me more than helping.

I saw this thread off a Google search which is what made me join. I'm putting a team together that can cover every type at least twice based on the move sets I give each Pokemon. For Vikavolt's held item I couldn't think of many good items, and the ones suggested in this thread may not work so well for me since I want speed to be a factor. Would Quick Claw benefit Vikavolt? I know the item has a chance not to work, however if you're using Vikavolt as more of a support with slight offence it could work against others. For me he just has to survive long enough to do some damage to Water type Pokemon, possibly knocking them out.

The attacks I wrote down for mine are:
- Mud Shot, Bug Buzz, Poison Jab, Thunderbolt

Alone with this move set he can do damage to Fire, Electric, Poison, Rock, Steel, Grass, Psychic, Dark, Fairy, Water, and Flying types.

I was also thinking, if you ignore the speed stat and gave it an item that increased CRIT hit chances/damage would this benefit Vikavolt against Pokemon with good defense?

I'm still learning how to properly use moves, I have Pokemon Moon and this is the first time I've sat down just to put a team together. Any help or creative thought on this is appreciated.

I saw this thread off a Google search which is what made me join. I'm putting a team together that can cover every type at least twice based on the move sets I give each Pokemon. For Vikavolt's held item I couldn't think of many good items, and the ones suggested in this thread may not work so well for me since I want speed to be a factor. Would Quick Claw benefit Vikavolt? I know the item has a chance not to work, however if you're using Vikavolt as more of a support with slight offence it could work against others. For me he just has to survive long enough to do some damage to Water type Pokemon, possibly knocking them out.

Alone with this move set he can do damage to Fire, Electric, Poison, Rock, Steel, Grass, Psychic, Dark, Fairy, Water, and Flying types.

I was also thinking, if you ignore the speed stat and gave it an item that increased CRIT hit chances/damage would this benefit Vikavolt against Pokemon with good defense?

I'm still learning how to properly use moves, I have Pokemon Moon and this is the first time I've sat down just to put a team together. Any help or creative thought on this is appreciated.
Oh boy...

Don't run mud shot on anything for one, its terrible. Poison Jab is only good on physical pokemon, and vikavolt is way far off from physical.

Here's a calculator: http://jake-white.github.io/VGC-Damage-Calculator/

252+ SpA Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sylveon: 139-165 (35.3 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Vikavolt Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 124-146 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 77.4% chance to 3HKO

It does less damage overall than a neutral attack unless you invest in attack, but then you do no damage period.

Crit chance items are not good, emphasis on "chance" so you give yourself a "chance" to deal x1.5 more damage rather than guaranteed x1.5 more damage with a choiced item like choice specs, or x1.3 more damage with a life orb while using all your moves. Really crits aren't something that should be intentionally factored into sets unless you're a sniper focus energy cleaner like kingdra.

One other thing: I really wouldn't use quick claw. It's not a consistent item compared to choice Scarf or leftovers for the consistent recovery. Bug buzz and thunderbolt are its best stabs, and volt switch allows you to get a faster frail mon in for free. Greninja (be sure that it has protean!) is probably a great pairing because of how they cover each others weaknesses. then you'll want to pack a powerful wallbreaker/stallbreaker, and something that can set up Stealth rocks (chip damage is really nice here).

Has anyone considered using a Z-Move based Moveset? It's high Special Attack makes it a wallbreaker, and adding Z-Moves only makes its wallbreaking ability better. Yes, it is hard to execute with poor Speed and Stealth Rock but with the right scenario it can cause teams headaches.

Here's a set I'm thinking:
Vikavolt @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA (May change to 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD so that it's defense investment is maximised)
Modest Nature
- Charge
- Thunderbolt / Zap Cannon
- Bug Buzz / Energy Ball
- Roost

A Z-Charge boost patches up its poor Special Defense by boosting it to +2, and - like a normal charge would - doubles the power of the Electric-type move on the next turn. Z-Zap Cannon is more powerful than a Z-Thunderbolt but when the Z-move is used up, Thunderbolt would be more reliable. As for the third move, Bug Buzz is secondary STAB and hits Grass-types, while Energy Ball could be useful in the lower tiers to hit Ground-types on the switch. Roost is used for reliable recovery.

Vikavolt does have fairly bad coverage but he has reliable recovery in Roost but he'd really shine in a trick room set. His speed doesn't make sense going by what he's based off of but eh, it's Pokemon logic. I swept Moon with a Vikavolt and he's currently Lv.70.

Quick Claw seems like an OK choice on Vikavolt if you're really desperate to move first. Honestly through my playthrough of Sun though, it felt like it triggered more often than 10% of the time, so who knows, maybe it could've gotten a stealth buff that hasn't been confirmed/denied yet.

To me though, Vikavolt looks more suited for Rain than anything. Rain cancels out his weakness to Fire and gives him a 100% accurate STAB Thunder. He already gets Flash Cannon to address Rock-types, so no need for HP Water.

Quick Claw is bad. It is not at all consistent and does shit against priority.

Vikavolt would be better off running another item like Lefties or Life Orb that have static and consistent bonuses.
Well I did say "desperate". I'm not fond of items reliant on RNG either, but auto-assuming something's bad at the start of a new gen when it's literally not even re-tested in the research thread or examined in a datamine is just plain silly. What if it was buffed to a 1/3 chance of bumping you up to 439 speed (just enough to outspeed timid deoxys-s) and no one noticed because everyone thinks Quick Claw is garbage? That's a hilariously easy way to overlook new changes.

But really, personally I don't even really think Vikavolt should even bother trying to move first. People try to move first out of what, fear of Encore/Taunt/Disable or getting one-shotted? Honestly, Vikavolt looks like has enough attacks and enough power that you can slap together a four-attack set and bring a shitton of pain to anything that doesn't resist it, and few enough weaknesses that you can usually tell when people are going to try to target you with something super-effective.

Honestly, if you want speed, you're better off with Galvantula anyways by virtue of Sticky Web alone.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well I did say "desperate". I'm not fond of items reliant on RNG either, but auto-assuming something's bad at the start of a new gen when it's literally not even re-tested in the research thread or examined in a datamine is just plain silly. What if it was buffed to a 1/3 chance of bumping you up to 439 speed (just enough to outspeed timid deoxys-s) and no one noticed because everyone thinks Quick Claw is garbage? That's a hilariously easy way to overlook new changes.
It would still be bad because there's still that 2/3 chance of it not activating, plus only beating Deo-S by 1 point when it activates means it actually got nerfed at the same time.

Honestly, if you want speed, you're better off with Galvantula anyways by virtue of Sticky Web alone.
Galvantula is trash; it does nothing but set up Webs and die. If I want Webs I run Shuckle since it can also set up Stealth Rock and Encore stuff before actually dying, plus having Sturdy means it can hold Mental Herb to bypass a Taunt. Even then Sticky Web as a playstyle has issues.

It would still be bad because there's still that 2/3 chance of it not activating, plus only beating Deo-S by 1 point when it activates means it actually got nerfed at the same time.
Technically it actually bumps you up to 2635 speed to outspeed a +6 Timid Scarfed Deoxys-S, but I felt that's a mouthful to type and kept it simple. Point is it gives you "more speed than them".

Galvantula is trash; it does nothing but set up Webs and die. If I want Webs I run Shuckle since it can also set up Stealth Rock and Encore stuff before actually dying, plus having Sturdy means it can hold Mental Herb to bypass a Taunt. Even then Sticky Web as a playstyle has issues.
Maybe you should just not use any Electric/Bug type then. Far more Electric types or Bug types can already do what you want Vikavolt to do, no point to try shoving it into a role it doesn't fit properly.

I've actually been running an... interesting set for Vikavolt.

Vikavolt @ Groundium Z
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Speed
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Mud Shot

140 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed up to uninvested base 60s. Some of the threats it allows it to outspeed include: Base 50s like Chansey, Tangrowth, Piloswine, and Mantyke, which otherwise could present an annoying stall situation if they outspeed. Base 56s like Torterra and Trevenant, and new base 60s like Primarina, Toucannon, and Oranguru, which is now a speed tier that lower speed 'mons actually -want- to pass, when before they were safe stopping at passing 56, since past that the only real threat that was reachable was Zweilous at base 58, which ran full speed anyway making it unreachable.

Mud Shot will almost never be touched by itself, however, uninvested Magnezone will be outsped with these speed EVs, and Mud Shot will almost always OHKO a non-Sturdy "cookie cutter" Magnezone:

252+ SpA Vikavolt Mud Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Magnezone: 164-196 (93.1 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Mud Shot, however, can be used to lower a target's speed stat to help Vikavolt, as it has a 100% chance to lower enemy speed by 1 stage. If you know you can survive a hit, but are very sure that the pokemon has a focus sash (or has something like Sturdy), you can use Mud Shot to break the sash, lower speed, then kill with a stronger STAB move.

On top of this, the Groundinium Z gives Vikavolt an Earthquake level power move (Mud Shot becomes base 100 Power Z-Move) that can be used to do quite a number on pokemon like uninvested Incineroar which these speed EVs will allow Vikavolt to outspeed. Something that it would fail to do with Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz.

252+ SpA Vikavolt Tectonic Rage vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 148-176 (73.2 - 87.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Vikavolt Tectonic Rage vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Ampharos: 146-174 (74.4 - 88.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Vikavolt Tectonic Rage vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 140-166 (89.1 - 105.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Vikavolt Tectonic Rage vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 164-194 (98.2 - 116.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock|

Those are just some calcs of some of the pokemon Vikavolt would -usually- have trouble breaking, but thanks to Groundium Z and Mud Shot, is capable of doing so. If you combine Sticky Web, it can even break through Heatran thanks to Mud Shot.

252+ SpA Vikavolt Mud Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 144-172 (86.2 - 102.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (If specially defensive, the Z-Move will decimate it either way)

The way I see it, Vikavolt has a lot of potential that could make it a huge threat if it gets buffed a little more down the road, but in its current state, it's not as good as everyone wanted it to be. 145 Sp. Atk is very exceptional, especially for a Bug type, and 77/90/75 bulk is respectable, but 43 Speed is rather slow for what it is, and while Agility mitigates the abysmal speed a fair bit, it can't outspeed too many threats, even at +2. This makes Vikavolt a bit less threatening, despite its massive power. The lack of coverage, which is to be expected of Bug and Electric types, also makes less use of Vikavolt's awesome power, and outside of moves like Energy Ball (for Rock and Ground types), Mud Shot (which, despite being an answer to Steel types, as well as a way to lower the opponent's speed, is rather weak), and HP Ground (which is the only answer to both of Vika's weaknesses, and takes care of Steels), it's pretty slim pickings.

Right now, I'm gonna wait and see how Game Freak treats Vikavolt in later games, because he looks awesome, and he has more than enough power to be a threat, but the lack of speed and coverage cuts into his effectiveness. I mean, give him a speed buff or the Speed Boost ability, give him Earth Power, give Vikavolt something to make him a better mon than what he is now, eh?

Speed boost would actually make sense due to it's "real behavior" to carry around it's pre evolution as backup power, yet drop it to get speed if required. But I doupt any levitate pokemon is ever gonna get a 2nd ability... Unless it's a unique ability that only is balanced on one pokemon, just like Araquanid's. Something like:

Vikavolt, HA: Low voltage exploit: Grants the "Levitate" ability. If hit by an attack (or below 50% HP), speed is doubled.

Speed boost would actually make sense due to it's "real behavior" to carry around it's pre evolution as backup power, yet drop it to get speed if required. But I doupt any levitate pokemon is ever gonna get a 2nd ability... Unless it's a unique ability that only is balanced on one pokemon, just like Araquanid's. Something like:

Vikavolt, HA: Low voltage exploit: Grants the "Levitate" ability. If hit by an attack (or below 50% HP), speed is doubled.
bronzor and bronzong aren't restricted to only levitate. It would be sick to it have speed boost, though

Sup....

If Vikavolt was to have an HA or another ability, I'd be thinking of a levitate copy that gives special attack boosts every time it KO's something... But I'm not here for speculation...
EDIT: Or levitate + sheer force... By Arceus, that would be devestating. It has so many moves to abuse sheer force with, and if it was both abilities in one pokemon I'd be using this thing every time I make a team.

Vikavolt @ Life Orb/Choice Specs (Wallbreaker Vik)
IVS: 0Atk
252/0/0/252/4/0
-Bug Buzz
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Energy Ball
Yeah... This is just the set everyone's recommending XD

But as a wallbreaker, when using Vikavolt you'll have to do some selective attacking... meaning don't be reckless. This thing is a cannon with only OK defenses, but if you use it correctly it'll do you plenty good. If you send it out against something that does more than 50% to if and Vikavolt isn't able to kill it.... Well, it won't turn out well. Luckily for the railgun beetle here, it has a good offensive and defensive typing (rocks tho) and Levitate, meaning it can take advantage of those to get in and start wreaking havoc. It'll be a monster in RU, with that stupid fish heart stupid thing floating around...

Just don't send it in against a sweeper... It's not sweeperbreaker lol

Last edited:
I have Hidden Power Water on Vikavolt instead of Bug Buzz/Volt Switch, which 2HKO's Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rocks/has a 97% chance to 2HKO through leftovers with LO. And obviously does the same in the rain, which this bug actually enjoys. Considering how common AlolaWak is as an Electric immunity, this is actually pretty nice. Also helps it break stall potentially, since it can break through other mons with Electric/Grass coverage.

EDIT: The Marowak used for calcs is 252HP 252SpDef, Careful.

Alola ksr15, ^^

Here's a great set for Vikavolt. It's similar to the set you listed above but sports a timid nature instead. The perks of having a timid nature is that allows Vikavolt to outspeed and 2HKO the prominent walls of OU, examples include a bulky Mega Scizor, Azumarill, CB Tyranitar, Skarmory, Clefable, and a defensive Mega Venusaur. A Timid nature allow it to outpace uninvested base 83 and below, which is quiet impressive considering its horrible speed stat. What's more, its typing and coverage can make it a powerful wall-breaker in OU, as it is met with little resistance when paired with Hidden Power Ice.

[OU Move Set]
Vikavolt (M) @ Choice Specs

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
Thunderbolt
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power [Ice]
Volt Switch

Set Details:

Available On Request.

P.S. A Pokemon's speed hasn't stopped wall-breakers like CB Scizor, Azumarill, and Tyranitar from doing their jobs, so I'm sure Vikavolt can pull its weight effectively in OU. The UU tier is the lowest I can see this thing dropping into. That said, what do you guys think about Vikavolt's viability? Will it be OU, UU, or somewhere in the Never Used tier? ^^

P.S. A Pokemon's speed hasn't stopped wall-breakers like CB Scizor, Azumarill, and Tyranitar from doing their jobs, so I'm sure Vikavolt can pull its weight effectively in OU. The UU tier is the lowest I can see this thing dropping into. That said, what do you guys think about Vikavolt's viability? Will it be OU, UU, or somewhere in the Never Used tier? ^^
Scizor and Azumarill possess priority moves as well as more bulk (Note: not necessarily on stats alone, but also due to better defensive typing). Tyranitar isn't fast, but he's far from slow, and his typing, stats, and Sandstorm ability allow him to apply more offensive pressure while not being OHKO'd by most of the relevant mons in OU. All of these mons also have a higher number of viable sets than the average mon, so they apply pressure simply by being on your team since your opponent has to be prepared to handle any potential set until it is revealed.

I think Vikavolt will be UU at best. He can't come in as a counter to very many things. Even with Levitate, he won't be able to put pressure on the relevant ground-types. (Garchomp and Landorus are free to continue going for EQs, knowing that if you come in on a free switch, they can just Stone Edge you before you get to attack.) Furthermore, one of his STAB typings is negated by ground-types, meaning that on a Specs wallbreaker set, you have less margin of error to go for Electric attacks while they have ground-type pokemon alive. I'm not saying that you can't outplay people in these scenarios, but the burden of higher risk will almost always fall on the shoulders of the Vikavolt-player, and well…you don't climb the ladder by constantly forcing yourself to take unnecessary risks.

His agility set might see some use as a cheese set in OU, but the fact that it still doesn't outspeed Pheromosa or most scarf-users after one agility doesn't bode well for him. While he is incredibly strong and has the stats to be a decent wallbreaker, his poor Speed combined with his over-reliance on a type that can be negated will make him very vulnerable to being abused by other members of the OU meta.

No way he'll be OU or even UU with 43 speed, tbh I can't even see it being that much of a big deal in RU thanks to Jolteon outclassing it as an offensive electric type. It'll be found on TR teams in lower tiers before because 145 SpAtt is incredible, and it may find itself in a similar position to M-Camerupt, albeit with worse STAB moves to abuse
That's exactly what I was thinking, as soon as I saw this mon's stats I felt as though it was screaming trick room even though it had agility. And being the trick room maniac that I am I definitely hurried up and bred for this on the DS.
I gave it Quiet/ 252 Sp Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Sp Def
Along with Thunderbolt/ Bugbuzz/ Flash Cannon/ Protect
(I tried choice specs for an item at first, but I generally found life orb to just work better)
True, it's not as awesome as my Mega Camel back on Omega Ruby but hey, it's not every day you get an electric pokemon this powerful and this slow.
*edit* If you're worried about ground types having rock moves, energy ball can possibly replace flash cannon or protect.

Last edited:
No way he'll be OU or even UU with 43 speed, tbh I can't even see it being that much of a big deal in RU thanks to Jolteon outclassing it as an offensive electric type. It'll be found on TR teams in lower tiers before because 145 SpAtt is incredible, and it may find itself in a similar position to M-Camerupt, albeit with worse STAB moves to abuse
Not exactly sure I see how exactly it's outclassed by Jolteon. Sure, Jolteon is faster and has Volt Absorb, but Vikavolt also has an immunity with Levitate, is more powerful, has a second STAB and is bulkier and has better coverage (The Eeveelutions are infamous for having a lackluster movepool, anyways...) And it's STABS aren't even that bad-- may be less offensive than Fire/Ground, but it has its uses-- in fact, combined with the 145 sp. atk. Vikavolt at least can 2HKO everything in RU w/ LO/Specs with the exception of a few Steels (which unless it's Steelix, it can just Volt Switch out) If it ends up there, it'll make a fine fit with its great WB potential, since not many things can switch into it safely without taking whopping amounts of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)