harden
mud shot

[\hide]

from a previous evolution
crunch
Discharge
Iron Defense

[\hide]

With its powerful 145 special attack and decent defenses, this mon has a lot of promise. What's more, electric typing is one of the best offensive typings overall. Levitate allows it to freely switch in on ground type attacks (except mold breaker), and to ignore spikes.

Potential sets:

specs (Vikavolt) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt/Discharge
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon /Hidden power(ice, rock, or ground)
- Volt Switch / hidden power ""

As soon as you see this mon, its special attack screams out for a choice specs. This isn't anything fancy, but it hits pretty hard. Bug buzz and thunderbolt (Or discharge, if you're a fan of parahax) are a pretty great pair of stabs. Flash cannon hits those pesky faries harder, and volt turn is great for bringing in another mon. HP

Unfortunately, his movepool just about ends here. He could run a bulky offense set with charge beam, but his low speed leaves him very vulnerable. He has air slash and energy ball too, cool coverage options that don't particularly help him.

In my opinion, his design is probably the coolest thing about him. Despite his sweet typing, his movepool is mud-puddle shallow and his 43 speed is abysmal. Seeing him reminds me of chandelure, and I'm guessing he'll make a splash in UU or RU.
Some good partners (from all tiers) might be Taipu koko because of the free electric terrain, Heatran, hippowdon, and a lot of the faster frail mons who need a slow switch in.
What do you think of Vikavolt?

Last edited:
No way he'll be OU or even UU with 43 speed, tbh I can't even see it being that much of a big deal in RU thanks to Jolteon outclassing it as an offensive electric type. It'll be found on TR teams in lower tiers before because 145 SpAtt is incredible, and it may find itself in a similar position to M-Camerupt, albeit with worse STAB moves to abuse

KingSwordYT

Mr. Superior thinking
is a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A pretty cool design, sadly slow as f*ck, volt-turn with genesect+Vikavolt could be really something in this early gen. Still i don't see it staying in OU, prob SM-RU

The moment I saw 43 speed, I thought about a trickroom style setup. There are a ton of mons that can utilize Trickroom and it's benefits this gen, I'd like to see where this mon goes this generation.

You can also add Energy Ball to hit Ground/Rock types hard or Agility to attempt to make it faster.

This pokemon is quite good to decimate things like Wishiwashi, Araquanid and Toxapex.

Heya, I'm new here, so this is my first post and I hope it's a good one! :D

I love the design of this beetle, I'm a bug lover in general, also in RL :P So I always tried to make all the bug types as viable and strong as possible. So I just had a thought about Vikavolts speed...

Vikavolt @ Please suggest an Item here! :3
EVs: 126 HP / 252 SpA / 130 Spe
or: 252 HP / 126 SpA / 130 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderwave
- Roost

With 130 Speed it will outspeed anything with 90 base speed (252 Spe + Nature) after TWave. Most pokes above 90 speed are not worth to be TWaved since they are oneshot to begin with. So either you take a hit and then kill the opponent right away, or you take a hit and TWave them, then outspeed them and try to two shot them. If you take less than 50% hp damage, just roost up until the enemy gets a para proc.

The only thing I worry about this strategy is that I have barely an Idea of how much it will survive with it's ... "okish" bulkyness. Is this something I could do? Or will it be 1hko'ed anyway? Any good items to help it out?

Heya, I'm new here, so this is my first post and I hope it's a good one! :D

I love the design of this beetle, I'm a bug lover in general, also in RL :P So I always tried to make all the bug types as viable and strong as possible. So I just had a thought about Vikavolts speed...

Vikavolt @ Please suggest an Item here! :3
EVs: 126 HP / 252 SpA / 130 Spe
or: 252 HP / 126 SpA / 130 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder wave
- Roost

With 130 Speed it will outspeed anything with 90 base speed (252 Spe + Nature) after TWave. Most pokes above 90 speed are not worth to be TWaved since they are oneshot to begin with. So either you take a hit and then kill the opponent right away, or you take a hit and TWave them, then outspeed them and try to two shot them. If you take less than 50% hp damage, just roost up until the enemy gets a para proc.

The only thing I worry about this strategy is that I have barely an Idea of how much it will survive with it's ... "okish" bulky. Is this something I could do? Or will it be 1hko'ed anyway? Any good items to help it out?
I'm excited that you're on here! For an item, I'd say probably life orb, though leftovers has some merit too. I wouldn't bother investing in speed simply because it isn't worth it. With 43 base speed, you won't be outspeeding much, even fully invested and with your opponent paralyzed.

It is a shame that 43 base Spe is still underwhelming after an Agility boost, because this thing is really strong on the special side.

This generation introduced many powerful, but strong attackers (including this Bug) that may be the target of Gliscor's slow Baton Pass (after an Agility). With this trick, Vikavolt is still usable in OU.
Defensively speaking, Gliscor and Vikavolt offer a nice set of resistances with none common weaknesses ===> maybe we have found a nice core.

A bad thing is that you have to forget Volt Switch in order to preserve the +2 into Spe.

I'm excited that you're on here! For an item, I'd say probably life orb, though leftovers has some merit too. I wouldn't bother investing in speed simply because it isn't worth it. With 43 base speed, you won't be outspeeding much, even fully invested and with your opponent paralyzed.
Heya, thanks for welcoming me! I don't want to sound rude, but it kinda feels like you didn't read my post at all ;_;

With 130 speed you could outspeed anything with base speed of 90 or less after TWave. This may work quite well with Roost if you take 50% max health damage per attack (or less). Same can be said for a set where you use Agility. I don't say that it must be great, I'm not that expirienced (yet! :D). But I expect it to be better for breaking walls that normally have less than 90 speed. But on second thought, better coverage is probably better to begin with.

About the items - are there any (new) items that may make Vika tankier? Or simply use Life Orb to achieve same damage with less SpeAtk investment (more HP). Oh and what about the speed choice item with full speed investment? What would Vika be able to outspeed? :S

Greez! :3

The only thing I worry about this strategy is that I have barely an Idea of how much it will survive with it's ... "okish" bulkyness. Is this something I could do? Or will it be 1hko'ed anyway? Any good items to help it out?
With that bulk, Vikavolt should be able to...barely survive a lot of things, actually. It's going to need entry hazards, some support and some Expert Belt, Life Orb or Specs if it wants to ensure a KO thought. It does not survive, however, to Choice Band Outrages and LO Draco Meteors:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vikavolt: 351-413 (98 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Vikavolt: 360-424 (100.5 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vikavolt: 484-570 (135.1 - 159.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also, you might want to replace T-Wave and Roost with Energy Ball/HP Ice and Volt Switch. If T-Wave misses then Vika's in grave danger of becoming canon fodder. Swap the Spd EVs to SpD to let it survive Latios's strongest move and it should be ready to go.

Last edited:
Honestly, Vikavolt may have low speed, but 1 Agility with max speed investment will allow it to out speed most things that are not scarfed with 406 Speed. Throw a Focus Sash on it and it will be having at least become a threat at this point. In which case it's best to get rid of threats with Priority before using it.

Vikavolt @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

Pokes with 135 base init only have 405 speed. So that's a great outspeed potential. The questions is if it still ohkos most pokes or not. With a Modest nature it'd outspeed everything up to 118.

This whole storyis very different with a Sticky Web setup. You then could (sry I forgot the names) use a choice item for speed wich with a Timid nature would let it outspeed 157 base speed, with Modest 139 base speed. Without the choice item this translates to outspeed with Timid: 88 and Modest: 76 wich is too low again.

Is a baton pass from a Ninjask an option? Or is this illegal?

Been running a bulky Vikavolt on a doubles Trick Room team and this thing is amazing. Don't see it going above RU/UU in singles thanks to that garbage speed but still...

Love the design too, electric railgun bug, yes please.

Pokes with 135 base init only have 405 speed. So that's a great outspeed potential. The questions is if it still ohkos most pokes or not. With a Modest nature it'd outspeed everything up to 118.

This whole storyis very different with a Sticky Web setup. You then could (sry I forgot the names) use a choice item for speed wich with a Timid nature would let it outspeed 157 base speed, with Modest 139 base speed. Without the choice item this translates to outspeed with Timid: 88 and Modest: 76 wich is too low again.

Is a baton pass from a Ninjask an option? Or is this illegal?
You can baton pass from Ninjask with speed however, you can't baton pass anything else with speed.

If you use Sticky Web user (I would go with Galvantula in this case as it is the fastest Sticky Web user) your team may have a tough time against Stealth Rocks so you would need a Rapid Spinner.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
If only it had switched it's Attack and Speed stat, then it would make a decent Agility 'mon. But as it stands, it's really just a low-tier special wallbreaker at best.
Shame, as I think its design is top notch. Maybe if it gets Speed Boost next gen it'll see decent use.

people complain about its speed, but that isn't the only bad thing. This thing's bulk is average at best and I can't see this thing getting off an attack. Though that isn't the point of a wallbreaker.

Modest natured Vikavolt hits 370 Speed after an Agility, outpacing all but the fastest mons and virtually every non-mega outside of Ubers. Timid hits 406, outspeeding even base 130's like Crobat and Tapu Koko and JUST outpacing base 135s like Timid Manectric. An agility set with LO / focus sash should definitely be in the OP as an option, IMO.

It's never gonna be an OU staple (it's utterly outclassed by Xurkitree, for one) but it has decent physical bulk, huge special power, and nice (sadly not perfect) coverage with just its STABs and Flash Cannon / Hidden Power. I think it could work in UU, and if it ends up in RU (which is my prediction), an agility set would be a very dangerous thing to watch out for IMO.

I can see this Pokemon favoring a bulky attacker set like Eelektross with Roost/Volt Switch/Bug Buzz and T-Bolt, T-Wave or coverage. Leftovers, Life Orb or a boosting item or whatever. Compared to Eel Vika has a few nasty weaknesses (hi SR) and lacks the Flying resist, but it gains resistances to Fighting and Grass. Slightly less bulky (moreso on the special side), but it has Roost.

Modest natured Vikavolt hits 370 Speed after an Agility, outpacing all but the fastest mons and virtually every non-mega outside of Ubers. Timid hits 406, outspeeding even base 130's like Crobat and Tapu Koko and JUST outpacing base 135s like Timid Manectric. An agility set with LO / focus sash should definitely be in the OP as an option, IMO.

It's never gonna be an OU staple (it's utterly outclassed by Xurkitree, for one) but it has decent physical bulk, huge special power, and nice (sadly not perfect) coverage with just its STABs and Flash Cannon / Hidden Power. I think it could work in UU, and if it ends up in RU (which is my prediction), an agility set would be a very dangerous thing to watch out for IMO.
Let's not forget about Energy Ball which you can use instead of Flash Cannon (if this thing hits UU it will probably like the energy ball for Swampert and friends)

No way he'll be OU or even UU with 43 speed, tbh I can't even see it being that much of a big deal in RU thanks to Jolteon outclassing it as an offensive electric type. It'll be found on TR teams in lower tiers before because 145 SpAtt is incredible, and it may find itself in a similar position to M-Camerupt, albeit with worse STAB moves to abuse
Honestly, the existence of Xurkitree alone means this thing will never see OU, since it hits even harder, is a bit faster, is just about as bulky, and has no rock weakness with a better Moxie for icing. I see it working well as a wallbreaker in lower tiers, since a lot of bulky waters don't have a way to hit it hard, and it doesn't care about burns.

I have actually been very curious over Vikavolt here, and actually have a couple Grubbins bred to work with a couple of my ideas

The Benefits of vikavolt is it has is only weak to 2 things. Fire and Rock, fire is almost never seen in competitive anymore due to it's
disadvantages, so rock is really the only thing you'll have to worry about here, and that is problematic because it is OU not only the pokemon
types but the moves as well. I don't know how to work around that except play very carefully. I don't honestly know

(Testing Spreads)

EV's HP: 200 / Def: 52 / Spa: 84 / SpD: 168 (still being tested as welll)
Modest/Bold
@ Pending
Levitate

Thunderbolt/ Discharge/ Volt Switch
Flash Cannon
Energy Ball
Bug Buzz

This is a general bulk set up, if you can get rid of everything that has a rock move this set should very very easily withstand most pokemon
Thunderbolt is just a good move to have on it because it's powerful 100% accurate gets STAB and has a 'mon with 145 base to back it, that right
there should be scary already, Discharge is viable it's weaker however paralysis is more common even if it won't actually help make Vikavolt go first
Volt switch might work if you are good at making to calls for switch in.
Flash Cannon is there for Fairy's Which should be holding strong in comp, because of the increase in dragons in this generation, Everything is a dragon
now. It also is another strong move for the rocks that it so kindly is weak to. Energy ball is for the ground pokemon and the bulky water/ground pokemon
who should switch in to vikavolt to negate the T-Bolt or whatever your running. Again high SpA. Should do some decent damage to them.
Bug Buzz is thrown on as another stab move and to hit grass pokemon hard.
I am not saying this is perfect, it's a stall breaker and should be able to take some hits in before it actually gets KO'd and if you can make proper calls
you can very well get some damage off on a large variety of pokemon before a KO.

Agility set
Levitate
Life Orb/Focus Sash
Timid/modest

SpA 252 / Spe 252 / HP 4

Agility
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball
Flash Cannon/Bug Buzz

Standard set up moveset. Once you get a Vikavolt in start setting up, After 1 agility you should be able to out pace almost all rock pokemon, after 2 you should be in the clear to run free, there a few scarfed pokemon you'll have to watch out for but the moveset posted should give you the best type coverage possible so you don't have to really worry about them. I really only recommend this is you have played with Rhyperior before or know how to work slower moving pokemon for set ups.

It was stated before that, Trick room is probably going to be huge, we were given a lot of hard hitters in this generation but little to no speed, Baton Passers might also be a good idea for Vikavolt so setting up isn't as difficult and allows you to come in fists swinging or just having to get off 1 agility prior to running. These are honestly just ideas though, I can't say I have tested them I am still trying to get power items to start training till them I have to do it the slow way.

I have actually been very curious over Vikavolt here, and actually have a couple Grubbins bred to work with a couple of my ideas

The Benefits of vikavolt is it has is only weak to 2 things. Fire and Rock, fire is almost never seen in competitive anymore due to it's
disadvantages, so rock is really the only thing you'll have to worry about here, and that is problematic because it is OU not only the pokemon
types but the moves as well. I don't know how to work around that except play very carefully. I don't honestly know

(Testing Spreads)

Modest/Bold
@ Pending
Levitate

Flash Cannon
Energy Ball
Bug Buzz

This is a general bulk set up, if you can get rid of everything that has a rock move this set should very very easily withstand most pokemon
Thunderbolt is just a good move to have on it because it's powerful 100% accurate gets STAB and has a 'mon with 145 base to back it, that right
there should be scary already, Discharge is viable it's weaker however paralysis is more common even if it won't actually help make Vikavolt go first
Flash Cannon is there for Fairy's Which should be holding strong in comp, because of the increase in dragons in this generation, Everything is a dragon
now. It also is another strong move for the rocks that it so kindly is weak to. Energy ball is for the ground pokemon and the bulky water/ground pokemon
who should switch in to vikavolt to negate the T-Bolt or whatever your running. Again high SpA. Should do some decent damage to them.
I am not saying this is perfect, it's a stall breaker and should be able to take some hits in before it actually gets KO'd and if you can make proper calls
you can very well get some damage off on a large variety of pokemon before a KO.

Agility set
Levitate
Life Orb/Focus Sash
Timid/modest

SpA 252 / Spe 252 / HP 4

Agility
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball
Flash Cannon/Bug Buzz

Standard set up moveset. Once you get a Vikavolt in start setting up, After 1 agility you should be able to out pace almost all rock pokemon, after 2 you should be in the clear to run free, there a few scarfed pokemon you'll have to watch out for but the moveset posted should give you the best type coverage possible so you don't have to really worry about them. I really only recommend this is you have played with Rhyperior before or know how to work slower moving pokemon for set ups.

It was stated before that, Trick room is probably going to be huge, we were given a lot of hard hitters in this generation but little to no speed, Baton Passers might also be a good idea for Vikavolt so setting up isn't as difficult and allows you to come in fists swinging or just having to get off 1 agility prior to running. These are honestly just ideas though, I can't say I have tested them I am still trying to get power items to start training till them I have to do it the slow way.
Those spreads seem oddly specific. What specifically are you targeting with those spreads? What pokemon and moves does this guy survive with those spreads?

Other than that, what pokemon have you been pairing with Vikavolt? I'm just asking out of curiosity.

(Testing Spreads)

Modest/Bold
@ Pending
Levitate

Flash Cannon
Energy Ball
Bug Buzz

Agility set
Levitate
Life Orb/Focus Sash
Timid/modest

SpA 252 / Spe 252 / HP 4

Agility
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball
Flash Cannon/Bug Buzz

I like the look of some of those sets, however I feel that Vikavolt's viability as a wallbreaker is undercut slightly by its abysmal speed. While it can wreck shop with that SpA stat, and I can appreciate the stat spread you have for the bulky set, I feel it truly needs roost to work, even at the cost of a move.

Personally, I've used, to some degree of success, a Volt Switch set emphasizing its longevity and switch-in potential. I will concede that the stat spread needs tweaking, but it's worked well enough so far.

Vikavolt @ Leftovers
EV's: 240 HP/ 252 Def/16 SpA
Bold
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder Wave/ Energy Ball
- Roost

This set provides Vikavolt a lot of opportunities throughout a battle to hit fairly hard and stay alive while hopefully maintaining momentum. Volt switch is a fairly strong STAB move which allows him to get the fudge out should he need it. I will concede that his speed means he'll likely get hit before he can switch, but frankly that's a risk I'm willing to take, although to be fair it gives him a jump on predicted switches excluding ground types (but we'll get to that later).

Bug Buzz is powerful and can put a significant dent in whatever doesn't resist it while simultaneously holding potential to nip pesky dark/psychic types in the bud. STAB helps of course.

Thunder Wave was unfortunately nerfed, thus its potential is substantially less than it might have been a generation ago. However, it can still be a showstopper for sweepers at best and annoying at the very least. The prevalence of aromatherapy doesn't help it either. Thus, while this has little testing, I offered an alternative in the form of Energy Ball, frankly to provide a counter to the otherwise gaping vulnerability to ground types the set would have. Energy Ball is pretty strong with a 90 bp and a 145 SpA stat behind it and can do wondrous things to often poorly SpD invested ground types.

Roost is a no-brainier in my eyes. Allows for viability throughout the battle and means Vikavolt can be a naughty little pest for teams who can't considerably hurt him.

Flaws with this set I can see are an obvious weakness to fire type moves and pokemon, especially Flamethrower and Lava plume. With 0 SpD investment, Vikavolt is one fire type special attack away from fainting. Thus, I am open to altering my stat spread.

I will say that this set has survived stone edges from non-STAB users with respectable Att stats.

It ain't perfect, and I am looking for critiques and suggestions for improvement.

Oh btw I agree, Vikavolt is just asking for a Trick Room/ Baton Pass boost. Frankly, although I adore his design, he would have loved Speed Boost as an ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)