The men in black (1997) dance: an investigation

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The classic 90's movie needs no introduction. What needs even less introduction than the movie is Will Smith's banging rap track, which has been homaged many times over the years, laid down the groundwork for several cool parodies and takes, and was a major inspiration of niel cicierega.

But was it more than this?

One week in 6th grade, during the winter in gym class between other major units, my school taught a bunch of line dances right before winter break. Of course, we learned the cha cha slide, electric slide, boot scootin boogie, these are classics every wedding refeption and prom dancer needs to know. But also...the men in black line dance? As a 10 year old, all I could remember was the beat was exceptionally groovy.

In the years afterwards, I have asked my classmates if they remember learning this. None of them could recall learning the "men in black dance"...almost as if it had been erased from their memories. I turned to the internet for research, and came accross what I had been looking for: line dance instruction channels teaching the men in black dance.

This culminates in me discovering a video of a crowd at a bar actually performing the dance. You can see it syncs up with will smith's instructions (just slide with me, just slide with me...take a walk with me, take a walk with me) at the end:

So my question is...

Did ANYBODY else learn this in school???

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, but I had a similar phenomenon happen to me. We had a bowling unit in gym class in 6th grade that no one else can remember

I remember of course because the gym teacher played the radio while we bowled and it was the first time I ever heard “Just Dance” by Lady Gaga

it’s one of those memories that there’s no real reason why I should remember it but I just do

will smith radiates talent throughout his entire body except for his groin, much to his chagrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)