The Difficult Video Game Boss Fights and How to Beat Them Thread

I tried that, but unfortunately, as Prof. Elm stated, his Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata, so trying to use another one against him is futile.

Very well then, but what if you were to catch a Gastly? Gastly is immune to Ratatta's normally devastating attacks, and it can confuse Joey into thinking his Ratatta's in the bottom percentage of all Ratattas.

Very well then, but what if you were to catch a Gastly? Gastly is immune to Ratatta's normally devastating attacks, and it can confuse Joey into thinking his Ratatta's in the bottom percentage of all Ratattas.
His Ratatta secretly has Scrappy, rendering any type advantage Ghost might have had moot.

canno

formerly The Reptile

Any tips on how to deal with this guy? I keep getting swept by his Ratatta.
Joey is easy to beat if you have access to Hyper Beam, as everyone knows Hyper Beam is the best move in the game.

If you cannot get Hyper Beam, your only way to win is to hope that Joey has mercy on your pitiful soul and lets you win, as Joey is the strongest trainer in the game.

Anyways, onto a serious post:

Run around like you're on drugs and hookshot when it attacks, then cut it's stupid nucleus until to runs back. Rinse and repeat. You could also try to trap it into the corner, and then keep attacking it until it dies. Also, don't bother with the middle platforms, they're more or less death traps. And don't be a retard and touch the spikes, as the stun from getting hit leads to you being grabbed. And, obviously, don't go in the water. Just dont.
NOTE: Be careful when it starts attacking twice. It makes obvious noises when it attacks though, so you should be k.

Can anyone tell me how to beat Sephiroth in KH1? I managed to beat him without TOO much difficulty in KH2, mainly because the place where you fight him is much roomier. In KH1 space is much more restricted, and his Masamune ends up hitting me basically wherever I stand.

This is actually a very nice thread idea, if someone can tell me how to beat that boss in Cave Story (Red Ogre or something?) I would be might grateful.
Do you mean the Red Demon in Last Cave? He's pretty simple to take down if you get the hang of his pattern. Just play cautiously and don't rush trying to beat him. Not sure what weapon you have but the Spur is probably the most effective weapon as you can charge it while you dodge his attacks and search for an opening.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The first thing that came to my head was this guy.

Made the end of Tekken 6 just so irritating. Lazers and somersaults and all sorts, while i'm just trying to land a few big fat kicks. Not on at all. Did my head in, and I had to resort to cheap boring tactics to beat him.

someone should let me know how to beat indalecio unlimited on universe mode in SO2 because i never finished it
i never understood why people had trouble with this. if you're a high enough level and your dudes are wearing odin's helms and seraphic garbs your guts should be high enough that at least a couple people will survive earthquake. if you're using mirror slice, stop using mirror slice because it's awful. if you've beaten gabrielle celeste use levantine + angel armband + slayer's ring and just spam normal attacks with claude (or ashton if you have him, his normal is even faster), or you can use holy sword farwell if your guts are maxed and you want more avd (i forget what avd you need to block his spark wave move 100% of the time on universe, but i know they made it a lot higher on the psp remake). hsf increases in power as the battle goes on but i think it caps at 4500 whereas levantine has something like 9000 when you're at 1 hp. starspray should keep him pinned often enough that chisato can pin him even more with tear gas.

if you haven't beaten g celeste you can use eternal sphere with slayers ring + berserk ring (or atlas ring if you want to gain berserk when someone dies, i dont think the elemental weaknesses matter since earthquake does 9999 anyways and i think even noah does too). if you've beaten g celeste and want to gain some levels, i think rank 7 music lets you summon dragon tyrant with the devil's aria, he's pretty easy and you can grind to 255 in under and hour with extension cards.

Do you mean the Red Demon in Last Cave? He's pretty simple to take down if you get the hang of his pattern. Just play cautiously and don't rush trying to beat him. Not sure what weapon you have but the Spur is probably the most effective weapon as you can charge it while you dodge his attacks and search for an opening.
Yeah! That one, haha.
Cool then.

Game: Fire Emblem (GBA)
Boss: Lloyd ("Four-Fanged Offense" in Hector's story)
How to beat him: I wish there was a way. Seriously, TV Tropes has him listed as "That One Boss" (twice, even). Does anyone know how to beat him? I've never been able to...

Game: Fire Emblem (GBA)
Boss: Lloyd ("Four-Fanged Offense" in Hector's story)
How to beat him: I wish there was a way. Seriously, TV Tropes has him listed as "That One Boss" (twice, even). Does anyone know how to beat him? I've never been able to...
1) Stand at far edge of range with a high-Res unit
2) Bumrush with anybody who doesn't get ORKOed (using 1- and 2-range appropriately)
3) ???
4) Dead.

If you don't want to get a map/don't remember where he is, 0) Torch staff and light the area near him up.

Boss: Sigma Mech
Game: Sigma Star Saga
Pic: I don't have one but he's the final obstacle of chapter 3

Strategy:
This is one of those bosses where you HAVE to manage his aggro. If you hit him too hard and too fast, he'll put up a shield rendering him immune to further harassment, but keep shooting him anyway and he'll rocket into you faster than your ship can fly for massive damage (it's very likely that you'll be south of level 30 at this point even after the level before him). I recommend using the secondary fire of the Sigma Fighter to drop bombs on his head for chip damage just like you might have done with the intro boss. Dodging his laser gun fire is easy enough. Recommended gun data for runup/battle, which is unavoidable once you return the black box to Nomak, is Triple Cannon, Power Shot and Bubble. Yes, this means you'll have to resort to bombing when he's on the left side of the screen, where he will stay for much of the fight if you're smart with shooting him when he's on the right. Deal with it.

As for movement, stay on the top left to bomb him, then when he closes in on you jet to the bottom right corner of the screen. His gun shots don't hurt NEARLY as much as when he rams you, but it is possible to squeeze in between the shots. This is a long and grueling battle, but don't let up and he'll salute you as he goes down, leaving behind a paltry 3750 experience...the worm on the fire planet gave you 8000, what the fuck.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I also never beat this guy when I was a kid:

=[
Well, for Ruby I can recommend a basic setup and strategy. I'll start with what you'll need before you begin:

-1 mastered HP Plus materia for each char (or whatever you need to reach 9999 HP)
-either 1 Master Summon materia or a mastered KOTR and mastered Phoenix materia
-At least two Mime materia
-Enemy Skill materia with Mighty Guard and White Wind (multiple helpful)
-As many mastered Magic Plus materia as you can get your hands on
-Lots of Megalixirs and some Remedies

Obviously you start the battle with two characters dead and wait for Ruby to stick his hands in the sand. After that immediately cast Phoenix to revive the others. For this battle it helps to have beaten Emerald first so you have the master materias, so you don't have to spend all that time mastering Phoenix and KOTR. Many FAQs will recommend you use the W-Summon Hades+KOTR method, but I did it without. Essentially what I did was summon KOTR, mime it, then use Megalixir with the third character. Since Ruby tends to counter with Ultima frequently, you'll want to be using Megalixir at least once per round, even if you haven't been damaged yet. Also, either have three Ribbons or two Ribbons and a Touph Ring as your accessories. Having several mastered Magic Plus materia on your KOTR users helps immensely.

You won't be able to maintain the pattern of KOTR - Mime - Megalixir for the whole battle as people will inevitably die periodically. Having more than one character able to summon Phoenix is extremely helpful, so the master summons makes the battle easier. Try to get in a Mighty Guard early in the battle right after you've revived your dead characters so you can have Haste for as long as possible. Don't worry about recasting it once the barriers go away because they don't help that much, but Haste is useful so try to recast it once all of your characters have died once.

In a nutshell, KOTR is going to account for 98% of the damage you do, so don't waste time with Counter Attacks or Limit Breaks. Phoenix will only be used to revive dead characters, and Megalixirs will be used to keep your party at full health as much as possible. Due to the immense damage being caused to your party quickly, never hesitate to use a Megalixir pre-emptively or even use two in one turn. The only other action you'll be taking is the occasional casting of Mighty Guard to reestablish Haste, or using a Remedy/White Wind to cure your Touph Ring bearer (if you don't have the third Ribbon). All characters should be equipped with their ultimate weapons (for the 8 materia slots only, not for damage) and Ziedrichs or Mystiles for their armor. If you have the spare slots you can switch the ultimate weapons for double and triple growth weapons so you can put a dent in those high AP materia like KOTR and Slash-All.

I hope this strategy helps, it's long but it should be pretty simple.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Boost Guardian (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
If you're good enough to do this, you can beat Boosty without him ever going into boosting mode, even in hard. It's still very hard, though; but at least you won't have to dodge & bomb him every time he feels like morphing.

My turn:

This incarnation of Ω Rugal is one of the weirdest. Most characters have a specific patter to beating him, ranging from the easiest (Whip), to the average (Blue Mary), to the convoluted (O. Shermie). However, no character has it easier than Mai. Unfortunately, this only works on censored versions of the game (afaIk).

If Mai stands completely still, Ω Rugal won't move as well. Just wait for a Time Over and you'll be done, providing you've damaged him earlier or have a spare character in case of a draw.

Here's a very shitty quality proof:

[youtube]sBaotFrLy9Y[/youtube]

I can give the strategies for other characters if anyone wants me to. I don't remember all of them, though.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Can anyone tell me how to beat Sephiroth in KH1? I managed to beat him without TOO much difficulty in KH2, mainly because the place where you fight him is much roomier. In KH1 space is much more restricted, and his Masamune ends up hitting me basically wherever I stand.
I've only beaten him once, but basically you'd better have the Ultima Weapon on Sora. If I remember correctly, I did a lot of juking in and out from Sephiroth, getting in close and hitting him and then floating away from his counter-attacks. And don't even bother trying to get in an entire strike combo, just take 2-3 hits and get the hell out of there, he'll tear you apart up close.

you need the Second Wind ability or else you cant beat him, its impossible. You should also max Ars Arcaneum as it deals tons of dmg against sephiroth. Stock up on max elixirs for items. the first part of the fight is pretty easy just dodge his attacks until you get an opening then use ars arcaneum and curaga if you get hit. after he drops a few hp bars he will become faster and he will get this move that 1 shots you if you dont have second wind equipped. when he uses this move immediately heall right after or else he will kill you. just keep up the spam on ars arcium and be sure to heal when he does his ohko move and he should be beaten.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Easy as fuck.
This is literally all you need to do: until he starts casting Heartless angel, dodge,block and maybe A strike Raird or Ars Arcanum from time to time when doing the fire pillar attack.
After that just keep dodging and blocking his attacks and attacking when you can/is using the fire pillar attack. If he goes berserk just keep blocking.
Once he Meteors youwill have to dodge because he for some reason is inmune to all your attacks, after he throws it just keep dodging and using Ars Arcanum until he is dead.Touching him makes you lose hp but it hardly matters as you should have at least 70 hp and curaga.

Once you master these simple tactics you can use Sephiroth for easy lv 100.

If for some reason level is too low, beat Hades Cup first to unlock Ice Titan fight for easy levels until you think you are high enough to take on Sephiroth.

KH1 Sephiroth is a joke unless trying to beat him at lv 30 or something that low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)