The Difficult Video Game Boss Fights and How to Beat Them Thread

(Riku vs Ansem: Final Battle; Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories [No HP Boosts])

Ignore Riku's HP bar in this image, as I'm going to be discussing fighting Ansem without having taken any HP boosts during level ups. For those of you who do not know what that means, it means Riku would have an HP bar roughly a fourth of the size of the green one. In comparison, Ansem has four bars of HP, tied with Marluxia for most boss HP in the game (unless you count the scythes in the final battle with Marluxia, in which case he would have close to six bars).

So why is this fight so difficult? For one thing, normal Riku sucks. You need to get in a fair number of hits before transforming if you've been increasing your Dark Power during level up (which is assumed since Attack has a maximum capacity and for purposes of a no-HP challenge you won't have the option of boosting HP). Normal Riku is weak and has no mobility. He also cannot use combo sleights (not that that matters in this fight, but I'll expound on that later). This means that while you're normal Riku your number one priority is to transform into Dark Riku, through card breaks, dealing damage, or taking damage. And you're likely to be taking a bit of damage. Ansem can take Riku out in four or five hits (fewer if he nails you with a sleight). Guardian's strike is easily dodgeable by jumping and is linked to Ansem's blue (magic) cards. The shockwaves (orange, physical wth), however, are a different story. If Ansem is in the middle of the screen the only way you're going to avoid getting hit is by a double-jump-backflip (which you can't do in normal form) or breaking Ansem's card (not always possible). You have a relatively small margin of error and limited time. Careful management of your cards until you can transform into Dark Riku is the only way you'll survive.

And that brings up the next issue: Time. The longer this fight drags out, the more likely it is that you will lose. Riku has no recovery outside of Oogie Boogie (who you don't want to activate if you can avoid it since that means giving up an active Maleficent) save for Mickey Mouse, whose cards are often far lower than Ansem's in value, forcing you to sleight them in order to get the recovery effect off. Which of course leaves you screwed if Ansem uses a 0 card or a stronger sleight (likely). And that's another main difficulty: Ansem's ability card is Sleightblind. You can't see if he's holding a sleight or what cards he loads into the sleight. This is obviously problematic since most of the time you can prepare for a sleight by being ready to switch to the 0 card immediately. Not so with Sleightblind in effect. If you're caught mid-combo you lose a few precious seconds, which might be enough for Ansem to OHKO with Rockbreaker or something if your health is low enough. Dark Ascension (I might not be remembering this name correctly) isn't a problem if you can get the dodge timing down though, so use it as a chance to reload your deck if he uses it. At any rate, Sleightblind is a real problem, so you want to break it with Parasite Cage as soon as you can. The problem is, Ansem usually activates it while you're still Normal Riku and unable to dodge effectively. He doesn't do it immediately either. In most cases you'll want to activate Maleficent immediately instead in order to transform as quickly as possible. Delaying this can cause you to take dangerous amounts of damage, which hurts you in the long run.

As for your attack options, don't even think about trying sleights. The Guardian is an absolute cockblock. Most of the time it will block Dark Firaga, and you'll get maybe one hit in on Ansem from Dark Aura or Dark Break. It also prevents the three-hit stun combo from being effective. This means that your best bet to deal quick damage is the backflip downstrike, which gets in three or so hits per card. Definitely your most effective way of dealing damage, especially with Maleficent active (which it should be). The Guardian can still occasionally block this though, and if Ansem is facing away from you when you flip over him the Guardian will be in a position to block your downstrike, so don't pull the trigger too early.

Really it comes down to a combination of speed and luck. The Ansem fight is a bit of a crapshoot, so your best bet is to activate Maleficent, transform ASAP, and continuously downstrike him until he dies. Use the Mickey Miracle Sleight when you can, but for the most part you're going to have to make do with the measly HP you start the battle with.

whitney's miltank

how to win:

you don't

ok cool

This is actually a very nice thread idea, if someone can tell me how to beat that boss in Cave Story (Red Ogre or something?) I would be might grateful.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ansem is easy enough if you defeated the Dark Riku already with no Mickey cards.

In terms of hard boss battles Mario and Luigi Partners in Time had a really annoying boss in the final area, although that may have been because I rushed through the game due to it being not as good as the other two games.

...I still haven't beaten Ansem yet on my No HP boost Riku run, so I guess I'll try giving that a shot again. Speaking of which, Riku Replica in Twilight Town was a bitch, seeing as your pre-made deck sucks ass and he could use Dark Aura with whatever the fuck he wants.

Here's my contribution to this thread:
Pretty much, you'll be safer if you have all 5 Energy Tanks available up to that point; The first can be found in Temple Grounds after meeting with U-Mos, the second can be obtained after getting the Morph Ball bombs, the third can be obtained two rooms or so before your first fight with Dark Samus, the fourth can be obtained in a room next to the Agon Temple (Light) on the Dark Beam door, and the last can be obtained near the Torvus Temple (The bottom half of the room before it, you'll need the Super Missles. Now that that's out of the way, it's pertinent that you also have 100 Light Ammo (The boost can be obtained in the first room before the Space Pirate base in Agon) for max damage. During the fight, you'll want to stay on the offensive when the Boost Guardian is in it's normal form, Light Beam charges and Super Missles are good. Keep watch on your health as it'll constantly be ticking down. The asshole part is when B. Guardian turns into a Morph Ball—do the same and lay bombs ahead while making sure not to touch it, doing so inflicts crazy damage. When it starts to rev up and go boost mode on your ass, do whatever it takes to get the fuck out of the way, be it bomb jumping or stay on the sides. If it breaks one of the statues, hightail it for the 100 energies. After punishing it enough with your bombs, pummel it with Light Charge/Super Missles and it the fight will be yours.

natalie

property of alex

This guy, from Altered Beast on Sega Megadrive. How the hell did you beat him? This still plagues me after all these years

(Intangir; Final Fantasy VI [GBA])
Intangir is found on the triangle-shaped island to the northeast of the Veldt in the World of Balance. It can be fought right before the Cave of the Sealed Gate.

Intangir, while not technically a boss, is close enough to one and is usually the hardest enemy to defeat in the World of Balance. It begins the fight with both Sleep and Vanish status, and is unique in that Vanish being removed also removes Sleep from him, causing him to counterattack with Meteor (which can OHKO your entire party this early in the game). He then reactivates Vanish and Sleep. Now, in the SNES version you could just cast Snare on him for an easy and immediate kill, but this glitch does not exist in the GBA version, so you have to get your hands dirty. The Intangir has 32000 HP (more than the Ultima Weapon) and 16000 MP. Because of Vanish physical attacks will not touch it while Vanish is in effect, and the Intangir has immunity (and consequently recovers from) all eight elemental magics. It cannot be stressed how seemingly impossible this fight is until you actually try to fight an Intangir with no prep work. If you haven't done so already and have a save file that would allow you to try this, give it a shot and you'll understand what I mean. But don't worry, there's a way to beat him.

You'll need to do a bit of prep work. First, you'll need the Debilitator, which can be stolen from the Right Crane when you escape Vector. You'll also need the Maduin, Carbuncle / Zoneseeker (purchased at Jidoor Auction House for 10000 GP), Golem (purchased at the Jidoor Auction House for 20000 GP) and Seraph (purchased from an outaw in the northeast section of Tzen for 3000 GP) Magicites. Green Berets are also important here. You'll want at least two, but four is ideal. Have a calculator on hand, for reasons I'll explain later.

First thing's first, have Golem teach Stop to your bulkiest character (probably Mog if you've gone and gotten him before this point). Teach that character Cura, Regen, and Raise as well with Seraph. Teach Shell to a different character with Unicorn, or have that character equip Zoneseeker instead. Lastly, use Maduin to teach your best mages (and Edgar) Level 2 Spells. Once you've set all of this up, head for the islands and wander until you encounter the Intangir. Make sure Edgar is in your party.

Now, Intangir is weak to Stop. But before you go and use it, instead do a bit of prep work. Cast Shell on all of your characters. Zoneseeker's ability does this immediately. Now cast Regen on any character with HP over 1000 (if they have less than 1000 HP Meteor will probably kill them even with Shell active). Green Berets are important here. Since Intangir does literally nothing while asleep Regen can heal any survivors of Meteor completely without draining your Magic, as long as you're patient. Once everything is set up, cast Stop on Intangir and have Edgar begin to use Debilitator on it until Intangir's weakness becomes Ice, Fire, or Lightning. Now here's where you need the calculator. Intangir flees automatically if its HP drops below 1280, so you need to keep careful count. Start at 32000, and take into account every bit of damage. Once you hit a useable weakness start pelting Intangir with Level 2 magic of that type and record every bit of damage. If you brought Gau have him use appropriate Rages; for example use the Veil Dancer Rage if Debilitator makes Intangir's weakness Ice. Gau isn't really recommended though since he has a chance to make a weak attack, which can throw off your calculations if you aren't paying close enough attention.

Anyway, Stop will eventually wear off and Intangir will cast Meteor, possibly killing some party members. If your Stop user dies you should probably just run and raise his or her level until they can survive a Meteor. Wait for Regen to do its thing. If attacking party members are KO'd don't bother setting up Shell and Regen on them again; just cast Raise and have them set to start dishing out Level 2 Spells as soon as Stop is cast again. Your magic users should be dealing about ~1000 damage per Level 2 spell. When you bring Intangir down to ~2000 HP wait for Stop to wear off and for him to counterattack again, then heal and cast Stop on him again, then take him out in one shot with all of your attackers. Make sure your characters have full health and Shell intact at this point, because Intangir uses Meteor upon dying.

Boss: Greevil
Game: Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
First off, make sure you have Shadow Chansey/Snorlax/Lugia* and a pokemon that can lower Attack (Charm Walrein and Shadow Salamence are good examples) before the fight begins. Now, don't start with either. Save them for later. Greevil has Rhydon, Exeggutor, Tauros, and the trio of Legendary Birds. Ignore the birds, try to Snag his other Pokemon. Don't send in your Special wall or Attack reducer until your other Pokemon Faint. If there is Rhydon, Exeggutor, or Tauros, focus on lowering its attack rather than Moltres's, because Moltres tends to spam Shadow Fire. If your Attack reducer faints, just use a Revive on it. Focus on Snagging Moltres more that any of his other Pokemon after you reduce their Attack, because Moltres's stats are the most offense-oriented. Also, Timer Balls are good to use in this battle, for obvious reasons. If Greevil has Rhydon/Exeggutor out, focus on snagging them instead, but if he has Tauros out, focus on the birds. Overall, this strategy is monotonous, but effective nonetheless.
*If Lugia is the Special wall of choice, the need for an Attack reducer is greatly decreased. You might not even need one!

Difficulty meter:
Without this strategy: 9/10
With this strategy: 3/10

Please, Greevil wasn't a big deal even without a strategy.

Now Evice was a dick the first time I faced him. Skill Swap + Slaking = sweep
Hopefully you've been using your Espeon all throughout the game, because he can sweep with some assistance. If you have the three Intimidate Mons: Hitmontop, Granbull, and Stantler, you're good. You don't even need to purify them. Since his team is primarily physically based, just swap in your Intimidator when necessary and hope he doesn't stomp on your team. You'll want to snag Tyranitar, so if you still have your Master Ball, the battle's really 6 against 5.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Boss: Polluted Piranha Plant
Game: Super Mario Sunshine

Squirt its mouth when it opens 3 times. Quite literally, rinse and repeat! Ho ho!

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
whitney's miltank

how to win:

you don't

ok cool

This is actually a very nice thread idea, if someone can tell me how to beat that boss in Cave Story (Red Ogre or something?) I would be might grateful.
Pokemon bosses are pretty easy. I think you can catch a machop before reaching Whitney that will really put the hurt on that miltank. If you want to be more defensive in defeating her, I think there are also wild geodude before goldenrod city that can easily sponge miltank's attacks.

To be honest though, I actually did have issues with Whitney at the time I played pokemon Crystal. Winona's altaria was also incredibly annoying in Emerald (didn't have any ice beam pokemon at the time).

Boss: Greevil
Game: Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
First off, make sure you have Shadow Chansey/Snorlax/Lugia* and a pokemon that can lower Attack (Charm Walrein and Shadow Salamence are good examples) before the fight begins. Now, don't start with either. Save them for later. Greevil has Rhydon, Exeggutor, Tauros, and the trio of Legendary Birds. Ignore the birds, try to Snag his other Pokemon. Don't send in your Special wall or Attack reducer until your other Pokemon Faint. If there is Rhydon, Exeggutor, or Tauros, focus on lowering its attack rather than Moltres's, because Moltres tends to spam Shadow Fire. If your Attack reducer faints, just use a Revive on it. Focus on Snagging Moltres more that any of his other Pokemon after you reduce their Attack, because Moltres's stats are the most offense-oriented. Also, Timer Balls are good to use in this battle, for obvious reasons. If Greevil has Rhydon/Exeggutor out, focus on snagging them instead, but if he has Tauros out, focus on the birds. Overall, this strategy is monotonous, but effective nonetheless.
*If Lugia is the Special wall of choice, the need for an Attack reducer is greatly decreased. You might not even need one!

Difficulty meter:
Without this strategy: 9/10
With this strategy: 3/10
Alternatively, use Shadow Electabuzz and Shadow Lugia. Electabuzz uses Shadow Half, Lugia heals him. Electabuzz recharges, Lugia heals itself. Quite healing item intensive, but it can allow you to catch all six mons in a single battle if pulled off.

Might put up something for Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4) tomorrow.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Draygon, Super Metroid. There is an easy way and a difficult way to get past this thing.
Before Draygon enters the room, fire some missiles at the electrical "sockets" on either side of the arena. Wait for the babies to settle into the ground while you wait for the mother. Select the Grapple Beam and hang out near either side of the arena. When Draygon enters, let it pick you up. It will hit you with its tail but no worries, just fire the Grapple Beam into the busted electrical socket and hold it down. You will fry both yourself and Draygon, but if you have half a brain, you won't have taken enough previous damage to die yourself.

Wait for Draygon's babies to float across the arena and settle into the ground. Select the missiles or, if you have enough, the super missiles. Draygon will fly across the room in a parabolic pattern. Use the morph boll and roll away from its assaults. Whenever you get a chance, crouch and use the shoulder buttons to aim and fire at its belly. From what I remember, you can't shoot through the sticky wads it throws at you, so make sure to hit it while it's flying around. It flies very quickly at the end and you sure as hell don't want it picking you up.

This guy. First in Gulden Sun: The Lost Age, then again in Dark Dawn (the latter of which was pitifully easy EXCEPT for Dullahan)

The only two consistently successful strategies I've seen are Summon Rush and abusing his attack pattern. Summon rush is just bringing out a whole mess of powerful summons in rapid succession right away (Daedalus was a key one in TLA). It's by far the easiest strategy and doesn't really require you to be particularly strong level-wise. Manipulating his attack pattern is, imo, a really lame way to have to approach the fight, since it just seems to go against the rest of the feel of the game. Basically it's pre-determined that he uses Djinn Storm (his most devastating move) on the Xth turn in his cycle of attacks (either 7th or 8th iirc). If you prevent him from using it, he skips that cycle. And as long as your Djinn aren't all on Standby, the fight is actually relatively easy.

If he DOES get Djinn Storm off, then enjoy spending the next half a dozen turns trying to get your team back into fighting shape -_-

Summon Rush is against Dullahan is ez mode really if you just want to beat him for the sake of beating him, you can one-two him pretty much that way. Personally, I find it a lot more satisfying going the traditional route.

Boss: Air Man
Game: Mega Man 2

Of course this guy is going to be tough, you've all heard the song. ~I can't defeat Air Man, No matter how I try to dodge all his tornadoes, he just kills me again.~ So to defeat this Robot Master, you have to....hit him with the Leaf Shield once or twice. Fucking hard, right?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Gogo, Final Fantasy 5

apparently hide tags with nothing in them doesn't register anymore. Pretend this is blank.

Ansem is easy enough if you defeated the Dark Riku already with no Mickey cards.

In terms of hard boss battles Mario and Luigi Partners in Time had a really annoying boss in the final area, although that may have been because I rushed through the game due to it being not as good as the other two games.
My turn.

You're probably talking about the Elder Princess Shroob. This bad the fuck is that thing:

Okay, so this thing has two forms. Form 1, which is simply the Princess, and Form 2, which is a mutated thingy with legs and tentacles and stuff. Let's take this one form at a time:

Form 1 is by far the easier of the two. That said, don't waste too many Bros. Items here; although you should have a shitload by now (if you don't reset your game and go buy a ton because you will need them), stick mostly to Red Shells for damage. If you learn the timing you can get a good 200-300 damage off each use, and the next boss is immune to them anyway so it doesn't matter. She has quite a few attacks, but most of them are easily dodged. When she pulls out a Chain Chomp jump, when she charges at you hammer her twice, when she pulls a meteor out and walks toward you hit her with your hammer until she drops it. Also, later in the fight saucers will start healing the princess for 120 HP; make sure you're doing much more than that per turn or this fight will grind to a halt quickly. Princess Peach is standing behind the throne, and will throw you stars that you can aim to knock the saucers out of the sky or Mushrooms.

Once you knock off about 3000 HP, the Princess mutates into a second, much tougher form with four tentacles, legs, and a crown. You have to do this a very particular way. First, take out the tentacles and legs. This can be easily done with two or so good Mix Flowers (make sure you're good at those by now). Next you need to take out the crown; Copy Flowers are your best friend here. After that you finally have access to the main body. Go nuts with anything that isn't a Red Shell-Copy Flowers, Trampolines, even Pocket Chomps are fair game. After a few turns she regenerates her limbs and crown, and the process starts over. She has tons of attacks, but the vast majority of them are easy to dodge; just jump or hammer when it makes sense. When she puts UFOs into the sky, fire falls on Mario and electricity towards Luigi-they fall in the order that she shoots them. Also, sometimes she'll throw a huge energy ball overhead and begin shooting it with balls of red and green light. Try to pay attention to whichever color hits the ball more, because that's the brother it'll fall on. Basically, as long as you have enough Mushrooms and Bros. Items to sustain your pace of battle, she'll go down eventually, as she has no way to regain health. Hope I helped~

Also:

Need some help!
Which game, and which area?

Oh baby. This thing. Shadow Yukiko in Persona 4 is the first boss that can give you trouble - and my God it will if you're unprepared. A notorious wake-up-call to new players, Shadow Yukiko will probably kill you very easily, unless you know what you're doing. Fortunately, that's why I'm here.

To prepare for this battle, I recommend buying some Sedatives from Shiroku Store. Shadow Yukiko's minion can inflict Fear status with its Terror Voice skill and if she does, she'll immediately follow with Shivering Rondo which will do significant damage. The protagonist seems to be the most susceptible to this, hence why I don't just recommend bringing a Persona with Patra.

Shadow Yukiko is the first boss you'll have come across with no exploitable weaknesses, but she's very keen to exploit Chie's fire weakness with Agi spells that hit like a truck. There are two solutions: having Chie Guard the whole time (lolno) or using Red Wall on her from the protagonist. This is learned by getting a Slime Persona to level 4 (you can also get it to level 6 for Resist Physical which is pretty helpful), and then fusing it onto a superior Persona, since Slime itself is weak to Fire. You can fuse it to make an Archangel (triangle with Izanagi and Pixie, or just fusing it with Senri), or a Senri. Senri is completely immune to Fire but Archangel is just my personal preference. Remember to recast Red Wall on Chie when it runs out. Should Shadow Yukiko knock down Chie with Agi, she will follow up with Mind Charge. At that point, GUARD.

Other good Persona to have in this battle include Obariyon (Slime, Sandman and Ghoul in a triangle) who resists Fire and Physical, and the Persona I personally go with, Berith (Ghoul and a Strength Persona such as Sandman or Valkyrie). Fusing Berith on April 28th will grant it Mabufu, which will be useful for reasons I'll explain later. Berith nullifies Fire and has strong physical attacks, but you must be at least level 15 to fuse it. So, some grinding required.

So, are your preparations complete? Good. Let's begin. Open the battle with Red Wall on Chie, Chie's Tarukaja and Yosuke's Sukukaja on the protagonist. Then switch to your preferred offensive Persona and plug away with your strongest physical. Chie should do likewise. Yosuke should either heal or use Sonic Punch. He will be your primary healer in this fight, so it wouldn't hurt to have Sukukaja on him either.

Eventually, Shadow Yukiko will summon her minion, the Charming Prince. This thing is a bastard. It will cast Diarama on the boss, healing her for 120, Terror Voice to inflict Fear (and it has the Fear Boost skill to boot) and even Sukukaja. Cast Yosuke's Dekaja on Shadow Yukiko if he does that, it's too big a headache otherwise. Fortunately though, he's weak to Ice. Blast him with Bufu or Mabufu twice to dizzy him for a turn, but eventually Shadow Yukiko will remove his Ice weakness with White Wall. Dekaja will take care of that though. Bear in mind that you don't have to kill the Prince to win the fight, once Shadow Yukiko dies, the fight ends automatically. This is true of all Shadow bosses with minions (such as Shadow Kanji).

I should point out though, in my most recent playthrough, she never summoned the Prince. AI roulette folks.

Once Shadow Yukiko reaches half her health, she will begin casting a very nasty spell: Burn To Ashes. At this point, I prefer to mostly have Chie Guard, especially if she doesn't have Red Wall while Yosuke keeps the party afloat with Dia. This spell hits HARD, and if Chie is unprotected, she'll die pretty quickly. If you have Tarunda (though it's not essential), it's a big help here.

Shadow Yukiko is NOT that hard if you know what you're doing. The devil is in just that.

Because I'm nice, a followup:

The Contrarian King is a bastard. An optional bastard, but still an absolute bastard. He can be challenged any time after Yukiko joins the party and you can return to the TV World. Battle your way up to the 8th Floor of Yukiko's Castle once more, and prepare for hell.

There's one Persona I go with for this guy: Jack Frost (Omoikane and Sylph is only one way to fuse it), who gets Bufula at level 19. With Tarukaja and Rakunda in play, this can do a fuckton of damage. Even without it, it's still pretty sexy. If you got the Ice Vow in a chest, equip it for more fun. Make sure Yukiko has Media before you begin this fight (level 16). Having a Persona with Sukunda is also very important here.

The King will always open up by casting Red Wall on himself. This is an elaborate trap - he actually absorbs Fire, he just wants you to think otherwise. He's also strong against Physical See? Bastard. Apart from that, the battle hinges on his usage of his Rampage skill. This is an all-party physical attack that hits 1-3 times and WILL kill you if it does so. In my most recent playthrough, he opened with it and party-wiped me instantly. I shit you not. Second time round, he didn't use it at all. AI roulette folks. Apart from that, the King will use Kill Rush (single target Rampage) and Hysterical Slap, which can inflict Rage. Cure it with Yukiko or Jack Frost's Me Patra. Should he get a critical, he'll always follow with Marakunda to halve your defense. Counter with Dekunda immediately, or suffer pain. Same if he casts Matarunda.

So, the strategy. Open with the protagonist's Sukunda, Yosuke's Sukukaja and Chie's Tarukaja on MC and Yukiko should Guard. Then go wild with Jack Frost's Bufula and Chie's Bufu. Yosuke should keep Sukukaja up on everyone at all times (Cast it on MC > Yukiko > Yosuke > Chie, rinse and repeat) while Yukiko heals. If everyone's got full health? She Guards. This method should ensure victory in about 8 turns... Unless you get unlucky with Rampage. But that's why there's a Save Point outside.

Doing another one.
Boss: King Dedede
Game: Kirby Air Ride
Turn on all CPU's at level 9, and use a slow but powerful air ride machine (Shadow Star is an example) and turn the handicap to 1. Now, lowering the speed handicap might seem counterproductive, but Dedede moves suprisingly slow, which is why you'll want to be as slow as possible while still retaining power. Note that if you fight him via Start Game mode, you can purposefully get -Speed patches and +Attack patches, making it easier. Also keep in mind that all air ride machines are either 3HKOed or won't do enough damage to kill him in time (you have 1:30, by the way), so +Defense patches are also recommended. As for Powerups, Sword, Spike, and Tornado(?) are the best for the job, because they can hit multiple times per second. Fire and Ice are interesting, but are mainly situational. You would need to predict where Dedede would go for Fire to work, while Ice is only good if you have competent partners with good powers. Bomb and Voice might seem promising, but Bomb only damages him once every 1-1.5 seconds, while it could harm your partners, while Voice is almost guaranteed to hurt said partners and it still doesn't do all that much to Dedede in the first place.
Reminder:
Turn on CPU's
Increase their difficulty to 9
Use a slow but powerful machine (Shadow, Bulk, etc.)
Lower handicap to 1/Collect -Speed, +Attack, and +Defense patches
Power Priority: Sword, Spike, Tornado(?), Ice, Fire, Voice, Bomb, Wing, Sleep
One last thing: recovery items appear, so always keep an eye on what's around.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Boss: Larsa
Game: Mushihime-sama Futari

Obscure, but posting this because there is a video with some random jackass creditfeeding this boss with just over 4 million views on Youtube under the title "HARDEST VIDEO GAME BOSS EVER". I can assure you that claim is not true at all.

First of all, I can guarantee that the average Joe will never reach the version of the boss depicted in the video unless you credit-feed/choose to fight her on stage select of the 360 port. There are several difficulty settings in MushiFutari; most people won't get past stage 1 of Ultra mode without dying, let alone get to her.

Fortunately, you can fight easier versions of her. Here, I will cover Ultra Novice. It provides a decent challenge but even on Novice mode takes a few tries to perfect. I would recommend using either Normal Reco if you want maneuverability or Abnormal Palm for power. This video uses Normal Palm, but he is one of the weakest shot types available (equals more time dodging and fighting the boss) and his focus shot speed doesn't allow for much dodge precision imo. Abnormal Reco is unusable unless you know the game well and want to go for a unique challenge.

General tips:
- I know there are Touhou fans in this forum: know that you do not gain additional points or bombs from grazing bullets so try not to intentionally do it.
- Smart use of bombs takes practice but if you don't feel 100% confident that you will dodge a certain pattern without dying, use a bomb. Don't be afraid to be trigger happy if it will save your ass.

Phase 1: Staying towards the middle of the screen is your best best, and try not to hug the bottom of the screen or get shoved into the side. Allow yourself plenty of space to dodge; slowdown is your friend, and positioning goes a long way. Try to anticipate the destination of the bullets coming down so that you will be in a gap when they do.

Phase 2: When she explodes for the first time and drops a bunch of gems, move towards the center of the screen. Stay within the net and dodge the additional bullets. Watch out for the small purple bullets: they generally have less area to graze than the "cotton candy" sized bullets. Easier than phase 1 imo.

Phase 3: Personally I have difficulty with this too, and it might take a few tries to get right. Try to keep moving from side to side, trying not to get pushed into a corner or hug the bottom of the screen so you have more room to dodge. If you have any bombs left, spam them on problem patterns. Don't give up: if you get to this phase, you'll have gotten pretty far and she only has a piddling of health left.

And that concludes my shitty guide on how to beat Ultra Novice Larsa. (But tbh it's hard to make shmup guides without a ton of screenshots or videos.) Hopefully one or more of these tips helped. If you do beat her, you can tell your friends that you've beaten the "HARDEST VIDEO GAME BOSS EVER"! (although tbh it's not true and even CAVE has outdone themselves on that.)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gogo, Final Fantasy 5

apparently hide tags with nothing in them doesn't register anymore. Pretend this is blank.
Is this supposed to be a funny way of explaining the strategy?

Just in case it isn't and you actually want help, all you have to do is enter battle with Gogo and then do absolutely nothing. Sit there for a couple minutes and then the battle will end automatically as you win.

I hate this dude =/

I don't even remember exactly how I beat him, but my party looked a LOT like the one in the picture here(I definitely had 2 Dragoons and....prolly a White Mage, since I know how I am when it comes to Final Fantasy games). My first run through the game, I literally ragequit and put the game down after losing 97386595758 times(exaggeration). I picked it back up much, much later and lost 2-3 times before beating him(finally!!).

Yeah, he hits hard, but the real problem is that Garuda. Just. Doesn't. DIE

I also never beat this guy when I was a kid:

=[

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.

Both princesses are easy of if you load up on Atk and Luck. I only invest in those stats. If I am wasting bonus I invest in speed.

Also use those load up on the giant fireball flowers (don't remember what they're called). Nothing can avoid that aoe, and if you just use 2 fingers to spam whoever needs to shoot at the fireball, you'll eventually deal 999(or more...gawd I haven't played this game in forever) per shot. Not bad if I say so myself. I think I beat her in about 5-7 rounds of combat just spamming those flowers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)