Team Fortress 2 - The Official Discussion Thread

If we are making a highlander team, I'd be happy to help out. My best class is Demoman and I can play a good/decent Solider/Scout/Heavy. My Medic and Engy are just like anyone else's. I can't play Spy or Pyro, very well and I can't play Sniper to save the life of me. Hit me up if I can help.

I wish I can say I'm not surprised to see info for a TF2 server here, sadly I can't say that though. TF2 is a great game, I just wish I was better at it. I will probably have to stop by the server sometime later to see how everything works out. What is the most common gametype though?

If you've been living under a rock, you might not have heard that there was a contest awhile back where custom modelers were invited to create new weapons which Valve would add to the game in a later update. The contest winners were announced awhile back, but Valve took several weeks to work out the kinks related to the weapons' non-cosmetic properties. The update is now live. Properties of the new weapons can be found here. There are also a lot of other cosmetic additions, like (I think) some new hats and the ability to put nametags on your weapons. It's also possible to trade/gift items in-game now, and they've also added an in-game store where you can buy new items for real money. (Non-cosmetic items are still available via random drop and crafting as earlier; they're probably selling weapons for cash to prevent people from trying to sell them on eBay or whatever.) More info on that here. And in classic Valve fashion, there's also a comic to go along with the update.

milk replaces pistol, it fires like jarate. sniper is finally a teamplayer (except for the croc back thing). gru is awesome, pyro can axtinguish better, spy is even more versatile...this update was really cool. except for the scout's mini natascha. i have enough trouble as it is with scouts picking me from behind

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man those are sweet items for the Soldier and Sniper, but I feel like the others kind of got screwed. Esepcially the pryo; 65% faster switch? So what, I can pull out my axe faster. Ya "OK". At least the Powerjack is a good item, I think much better than the Crit-Fireaxe

I like the Sniper's new gun; I think that will be very, very useful. Especially if you can no-scope targets with it. You wouldn't even need to kill people, just spam Jarate bullets and you are immensely helping your team. Spreading mini-crits along with body shots is super nice

Also the Scout's new pistol looks soooo good. That is going to be super useful, mini-natacha ias fleeing enemies go for health packs. I'm still a little unclear how the Milk works. What slot does it replace? Pistol?

Hey guys just bought this game today, its actually downloading as I type this. Do you guys have any beginner tips that would help?

My steam account is MasakiR

Gonna be puffing and stinging so much more with the Degreaser. I definitely did always notice the time it took for me to get that crit axe after airblasting somebody into the air, especially on Scouts and against the combo. It's not something you'd have to use, and if you're gonna be Powerjacking, by all means go for the Backburner. Burn is less relevant with a good medic around anyway. OHKOing actually seems all the more important with the Soldier and Scout's new secondaries. And Heavy seems so wankish now with the GRU lol. Looks like it'd help Natascha Heavies run from Sasha Heavies and eat a Infinite-again Sandvich.

Hey guys just bought this game today, its actually downloading as I type this. Do you guys have any beginner tips that would help?

My steam account is MasakiR
There's a training mode and a versus bot mode, just to get down exactly what role every class fills and such.

ok as of today i have the following polycount items because i am unlucky

battalion's backup (you can charge this through fall damage...gravel pit becomes so much more hilarious with this)
tank buster (pretty much better than the rocket launcher in pubs at least)
holy mackerel (FISH KILL!)

i had the GRU which i traded to sgtwoodsy for the eternal reward which i traded to some guy for the battalion's backup

i need more items

found some gloves of running urgency as soon as i hit tf2 up yesterday, theyre crazy useful so far, as long as you have a medic or a health pack on the way to the point that soldiers/demos dont take.

The degreaser was the first polycount weapon I got, it's made the pyro so much more fun to play and it's exactly what he needed to be more than W+M1. The pyro now feels like much more of an ambush class because you can essentially instant-kill people if you catch them off guard and are able to get within melee range.

I'm glad to see the GRU was finally added and I can't wait to try it out for myself.

I love the Soldier's unlocks, haha. Black Box + Battalion's Backup + Equalizer just all love each other like a big happy family. You can match Heavy as a tank by combining that defense buff with the Black Box regen, now, all while keeping your Medic safer. He really is the most versatile class. Finding the Softcap will just make the package all the nicer :)

Heard there might be blueprints added for the 5 hats that are part of a set in the future..

I don't think that the Black Box is all that great. 15 HP seems nice on paper, but that's less HP than a medic heals in a single second. The HP bonus does stack when you hit multiple people with splash, but IMO it's not worth the decrease in clip size. Three rockets isn't very much and they can disappear a lot faster than you'd like, especially if you like to play aggressively as a soldier. It's pretty common for me to do things like rocket jump twice to chase down an enemy medic and then use the two remaining rockets to kill the medic. With the Black Box, you're left with only one rocket after the second RJ, and if you miss with the last rocket, you've just propelled yourself deep into enemy territory with no ammo loaded. Pocket soldiers don't need the Black Box because of all the heals they should be getting from their medic, and roaming soldiers probably won't like it because they suffer too much from the decreased clip size.

I do like the Battalion's Backup. It's a lot better than the Buff Banner and it's good for all of the reasons that the Buff Banner wasn't. The Buff Banner charges by hurting enemies (and it requires a substantial amount of damage output to charge), so it's really a weapon that only helps when you're already winning. The Battalion's Backup is the exact opposite: it charges when you take damage, so it's more useful for trying to reverse situations where you are at a disadvantage. It's also an effective Kritzkrieg counter, and it can be a real help for mid fights when the enemy team gets Kritzkrieg before your team has Uber.

15 HP is nice though. You come out with 15-45 greater HP out of a single scuffle with the enemy's Scouts/Demo, and then you just get extra survivability in general to last longer defending a tight CP like Granary indoors on your own.

norulz

excellent
Overall the update is pretty fun. I got the Rocket Jumper and it's not that great. You still get damaged from falls and that pretty much ruins my rocket jumping practise.

HEADLESS HORSELESS HORSEMAN is pretty awesome except when you're surprised and killed from behind while trying to cap a point (particularly the first) and cp_mann_mannor has a fun feel to it, my only complaint is that the item placement seems to benefit the attacking team a bit more, but maybe that's just me.

The hats are kind of boring though. the Saxton Hale could have an original design.

Also at the Black Box discussion. You neglected to say that when facing an enemy pyro who burns you, the HP gained from the hits can sometimes save your ass from the afterburn until you find health. The reduced clip size can be a pain when trying to kill far away sentries or even ones that are close to you. But it's been my #1 choice. The 15 HP you gain per hit can make you last longer, annoy enemies a lot more, and if you're accurate with your rockets, then you'll get a 45 HP boost every 3 hits, which can make you be less dependent of health items or medic heals

just popping in to say that we have a channel on synirc called #tf2 run by sgtwoodsy! come in for a chat. we really need it. please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)