Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sort of smogon truther take is the Pokémon equivalent to an American thinking they live in the best country in the world lol. So narrow-minded and lacking in self awareness. If you only know smogon 6v6, don’t try to make sweeping claims about the rest of the world.

Gamefreak doesn’t endorse singles at all as a competitive environment. The 20 minute timer is them strictly not endorsing smogon style 6v6, it has absolutely nothing to do with competition.

You’re free to dislike VGC, but to say it’s not competitive or a strong competitive environment is simply wrong. Should we implement everything VGC does here? Absolutely not; but there’s nothing wrong with considering the format tera was balanced around when thinking about how to balance tera.
Exactly. The question is, do team sheets in a format with tera do the following:
Is it fun?
Is it more competitive?
Personally I think the answer is yes. Tera makes games more fun/ interesting, and open team sheets would lead the better player to win more often.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
This sort of smogon truther take is the Pokémon equivalent to an American thinking they live in the best country in the world lol. So narrow-minded and lacking in self awareness. If you only know smogon 6v6, don’t try to make sweeping claims about the rest of the world.
If you hate Smogon so much, why are you here?

I know more than Smogon 6v6. I’ve played VGC before and found it lacking. I believe it to be less competitive than, and inferior to, what Smogon has built. I will die on this hill, so feel free to come kill me on it. (But don’t actually, we should stop this discussion and refrain from mentioning VGC so I can actually contribute to the thread.)

I know more than Smogon 6v6. I’ve played VGC before and found it lacking. I believe it to be less competitive than, and inferior to, what Smogon has built. I will die on this hill, so feel free to come kill me on it.
I
Where exactly did I say that? XY OU & gen 7 OU are some of my favorite metas in anything ever. Interesting how me saying there’s a world outside of 6v6 singles = me hating smogon lol.
When other formats do something, it’s always important to consider why and if it applies to singles and tournament in a positive way. While the reason for team sheets is largely due to scouting networks at irl 1 weekend events, it does remove the guessing game that some believe makes tera uncompetitive. A Pokémon with a coverage move that matches its tera type is going to be treated differently than a Pokémon with tera ghost only to block spins. Or a Pokémon with tera water for the defensive typing and not for coverage. Or a Pokémon that boosts it’s already strong stab option. This allows you to make more informed decisions and in my opinion, leads the better player to win more often.

I know more than Smogon 6v6. I’ve played VGC before and found it lacking. I believe it to be less competitive than, and inferior to, what Smogon has built. I will die on this hill, so feel free to come kill me on it. (But don’t actually, we should stop this discussion and refrain from mentioning VGC so I can actually contribute to the thread.)
What is your opinion on team sheets in smogon 6v6, if tera was to remain in the format? The reason it was brought up may have been because of vgc implementing it, however I would like to keep the topic strictly to its potential effect on smogon 6v6 tournament as a solution to the upcoming Tera suspect test.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
What is your opinion on team sheets in smogon 6v6, if tera was to remain in the format? The reason it was brought up may have been because of vgc implementing it, however I would like to keep the topic strictly to its potential effect on smogon 6v6 tournament as a solution to the upcoming Tera suspect test.
Team sheets might work in the best-of-3 VGC format, I’ll give you that, but not every Smogon tournament follows that format. I don’t really follow official tournaments—I’m mostly a ladder/roomtour player—but from what little research I’ve done, it seems that not knowing your opponent’s sets is a fairly important part of Smogon tournament philosophy. Most tournaments mete out harsh punishments for leaking team information before a game, and although team sheets at the beginning of each game technically wouldn’t count as leaking (because it doesn’t give you any time to counterteam), some rulesets also forbid you from asking about your opponent’s sets during a battle, so I presume team sheets would be at odds with this rule. For me personally, I just don’t like the idea of team sheets because it defeats the concept of lures and other novel strategies that take advantage of incomplete information. The unpredictability factor of Tera isn’t the main thing I have a problem with, which is why I think that “revealing Tera at team preview” won’t actually work as an option. The main problems I have are that it enables too much broken stuff and that it tips the meta way too far towards certain playstyles.

Last edited:
Team sheets might work in the best-of-3 VGC format, I’ll give you that, but not every Smogon tournament follows that format. I don’t really follow official tournaments—I’m mostly a ladder/roomtour player—but from what little research I’ve done, it seems that not knowing your opponent’s sets is a fairly important part of Smogon tournament play. Most tournaments mete out harsh punishments for leaking team information before a game, and although team sheets at the beginning of each game technically wouldn’t count as leaking, some rulesets also forbid you from asking about your opponent’s sets during a battle, so I presume team sheets would be at odds with this rule.
The one thing I want to clarify is team sheets do not include stat distribution but do include item/moves and tera. But you make a good point. Do you think it would change too much about tournament just to keep tera around? Or is tera important enough for the formats identity that a bigger change is worth it to keep it competitive in tournament.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Everyone is talking about Chi-Yu, Pao, and Annihilape, but Garganacl is absolutely nasty.

-Immune to status
-Impossible to kill in one hit
-Impossible to switch in safely
-ID BP wins games on its own
-Tera makes it more broken
-Salt Cure is a bitch ass move

After all the other stuff goes, we need to look at this, cause how tf do you check something like this
Garganacl is kinda frustrating at times but its mainly because you putting resources into phisical attackers and special walls for Chi Yu and other things, i like to counter garga by tera water chi yu and using [INDUSTRIAL SECRET] with Energy Ball, these fuckers never see it coming, one thing to note its that some garga use tera fairy, so be aware and try to force tera

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
The one thing I want to clarify is team sheets do not include stat distribution but do include item/moves and tera. But you make a good point. Do you think it would change too much about tournament just to keep tera around? Or is tera important enough for the formats identity that a bigger change is worth it to keep it competitive in tournament.
I’m aware that they don’t include stat distributions, but knowing the movesets is the main gripe I have with them. I don’t think we should be bending over backwards just to keep Tera around—we didn’t do the same for Dynamax, even though there was that whole extra group of people that wanted to keep Dynamax on Gigantamax mons only. If any action is taken, it should be an outright ban. But this discussion is better suited for the dedicated Tera thread (especially since I accidentally keep confusing that one with this one because we’re talking about Tera in here now).

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I dislike how we feel the constant need to qualify ourselves and precursor substance with personalized disqualifies to those with contrasting viewpoints. Ad Hominem is not welcome here.

We all want the most competitive and enjoyable metagame, leaving us all on the same team even if we have different views on how to reach that collective end goal. Let’s shift our attitude back in the right direction here.

And I'm gonna bring up the Evasion Clause here because reducing the accuracy pretty much gives the same thing as boosting your evasion, except it directly affect the opponent's ability to hit any Pokemon, and when paired with a paralysis move it makes it even more frustrating

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I haven't heard anything about Tera team preview needing to include the move sets. Just the Tera type.
I was talking about team sheets in general. I don’t really have a problem with showing Tera type at team preview, I just think it will lead to a lot of “oh joy, now I know my team is about to be ground into mulch by EKiller Dragonite/physical Dragapult/Chi-Yu With More STAB™/No-Skill Ostrich/Annihilape/Acrobatics Roaring Moon/Chien-Pao instead of being only 99% sure”. In the case of Tera, knowing you’re screwed doesn’t make you less screwed and that’s part of the problem. It’s like giving a skydiver a paper detailing exactly how hard they’ll hit the ground instead of a parachute (or, you know, not throwing them out of a plane in the first place).

Last edited:
Deadline to submit responses is tonight. I’m at work right now and will be out with IRL stuff until around 11pm GMT-5, but then plan to work on it and already have compiled a good deal of responses. Given the volume (around 4K responses), it may take a bit, so expect it up either at 1-2AM GMT-5 tonight or after whenever I wake up tomorrow morning GMT-5.
Much appreciated

I was talking about team sheets in general. I don’t really have a problem with showing Tera type at team preview, I just think it will lead to a lot of “oh joy, now I know my team is about to be ground into mulch by EKiller Dragonite/physical Dragapult/Chi-Yu With More STAB™/No-Skill Ostrich/Annihilape/Acrobatics Roaring Moon/Chien-Pao instead of being only 99% sure”. In the case of Tera, knowing you’re screwed doesn’t make you less screwed and that’s part of the problem. It’s like tossing someone out of a plane and, instead of giving them a parachute, handing them a paper detailing exactly how hard they’ll hit the ground.
Yes and no. Knowing which Tera a Pokémon is at least let's you plan accordingly and reasonably revenge kill things. Sure, brute force Tera still works. It's a muti-faceted problem, though. You got to limit some of the brute force stuff with the double STAB.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
TPCI also feels that a 20-minute timer brings a more competitive environment. They wouldn’t know what a properly competitive environment was if it smacked them in the face. I wouldn’t put too much stock in adopting whatever format the VGC Marketing Team thinks will bring in the most viewers.
Lots of competitive games have timers lol. I'm not even going to bother listing any because it's so freaking common.

Running out the timer is also technically a valid wincon that enables its owns strategies.

Last edited:
Okay what is this set

Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Spore

This thing is absolutely insane. Bullet seed is an 37.5 % OHKO against 4HP/252Def Gholdengo when in Tera (With tera boost to 60) (this was modeled using 60 BP Bullet seed and Adaptability to simulate Tera) BEFORE SD. This is a resisted move and it does a ton of damage. Spore can be switched out for coverage, idk what's good. Someone please check my calcs, otherwise this is broken. Testing on ladder soon *crosses fingers*

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Okay what is this set

Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Spore

This thing is absolutely insane. Bullet seed is an 37.5 % OHKO against 4HP/252Def Gholdengo when in Tera (With tera boost to 60) (this was modeled using 60 BP Bullet seed and Adaptability to simulate Tera) BEFORE SD. This is a resisted move and it does a ton of damage. Spore can be switched out for coverage, idk what's good. Someone please check my calcs, otherwise this is broken. Testing on ladder soon *crosses fingers*
the Breloom when it has to fight any reasonably fast Pokemon:

1670612825655.png

Okay what is this set

Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Spore

Good set but Mach Punch is a way better option than CC because it picks off faster mons

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Yeah I think we need to do something about that Dunsparcce set, since Dunsparce got banned from LC, but there was never any mentino of Mud-Slap on Dunsparce in LC before said ban, so this must've been a very recent set that started to spark up
Mud-Slap Dunsparce is an objectively terrible set and losing to it is 100% a skill issue. It loses to any Flying-type with a base stat total above zero. You can also just switch out to remove the Accuracy drop; it’s not like Dunsparce can realistically do anything to any Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)