Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Nasty Plot
Thoughts? It comes in via Shed Tail and, through Tera, only becomes weak to Psychic type attacks, which it is EV'd to withstand because the only physical psychic attack i know of is psyshock. Of course, screens from Grimm are rather helpful, and can allow it to set up and wreak havoc.
I know its UU currently but its god damn Hydreigon it can work.
I’d consider Tera Blast on that set instead of Flash Cannon. After Tera, it’s STAB and still gives the coverage against Fairy-types that Flash Cannon is meant to provide. It does have the unfortunate downside of not really being able to touch Tinkaton, but when’s the last time you saw someone running Tinkaton with a straight face?

Has anyone else tried out av Roaring Moon? I've been trying it out on sun and it's been pretty nice. Easily the best Chi-Yu switch in I've played with, which had been a problem for a team giving it a 1.5 boost (though if you get burned it does suck a lot). Roaring Moon often lets you get back momentum against a mon that often forces a sacrifice. I've been running something like this. Currently I have brick break as I don't have a lot of other good options vs grimmsnarl, and hitting it with brick break and then u-turning when they switch is very effective. Dragon tail I also tried a bit, and was pretty nice but afformentioned grimmsnarl weakness of the team it's on had me swap it back. I decided to mostly invest in atk and keep it max speed, but you could drop speed to 220 EVs to outsped + Chi-Yu and then dump extra in bulk. Hazards can hurt but being on a team with balloon hat mostly prevents those going up. Hits plenty hard in sun but I can imagine it'd be a bit lackluster without the support.

Roaring Moon @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Dark/Ground/Fire/anything
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Brick Break/tera blast/dragon tail
- U-turn

I can also imagine a set with no AV but with more bulk investment and roost, that could switch in more consistently to special threats.

Has anyone else tried out av Roaring Moon? I've been trying it out on sun and it's been pretty nice. Easily the best Chi-Yu switch in I've played with, which had been a problem for a team giving it a 1.5 boost (though if you get burned it does suck a lot). Roaring Moon often lets you get back momentum against a mon that often forces a sacrifice. I've been running something like this. Currently I have brick break as I don't have a lot of other good options vs grimmsnarl, and hitting it with brick break and then u-turning when they switch is very effective. Dragon tail I also tried a bit, and was pretty nice but afformentioned grimmsnarl weakness of the team it's on had me swap it back. I decided to mostly invest in atk and keep it max speed, but you could drop speed to 220 EVs to outsped + Chi-Yu and then dump extra in bulk. Hazards can hurt but being on a team with balloon hat mostly prevents those going up. Hits plenty hard in sun but I can imagine it'd be a bit lackluster without the support.

Roaring Moon @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Dark/Ground/Fire/anything
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Brick Break/tera blast/dragon tail
- U-turn

I can also imagine a set with no AV but with more bulk investment and roost, that could switch in more consistently to special threats.

I had a decent amount of success with it at the start of gen 9, it worked pretty well but I found it really needed the powerboost from sun to punch through things that would otherwise wall it. That was when palafin was still running around, so now that he's gone I imagine its even better, although the prospect of providing a free sun to chi-yu is pretty spooky. in theory you would be able to switch in, live, then outspeed and kill him but the lack of recovery means you'll need to be careful about letting him get free attacks off.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hydreigon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Nasty Plot
Thoughts? It comes in via Shed Tail and, through Tera, only becomes weak to Psychic type attacks, which it is EV'd to withstand because the only physical psychic attack i know of is psyshock. Of course, screens from Grimm are rather helpful, and can allow it to set up and wreak havoc.
I know its UU currently but its god damn Hydreigon it can work.
I would go with Fire Blast instead of Flash Cannon to take care of Tinkaton, but since it's UU and I don't know how often you see it on the ladder I might go with Taunt > Flash Cannon. This would prevent your opponent from status on Hydreigon or setting up screens, entry hazard, etc. Dark Pulse + Draco Meteor hits almost everything.

I've capped out at 1400 with... glaceon. I'm a bit burned out by the meta but I just want to talk about this mon and why it potentially has a niche despite being in a low tier for pretty much ever.

-It has one of the highest special attacks in the entire tier.
-It is one of the only decent ice mons to learn freeze dry. This is pretty much the entire reason to use it.
-Virtually nothing walls it, other than maybe blissey. People say this about chi-yu but in reality most people have switch ins that can come in on chi-yu and force it out or tank a hit.
-Bulky enough that it can trade with many things and win.

As tera ice, it will oneshot dodonzo with freeze dry, water annihilape with freeze dry, will oneshot dragonite through multiscale with ice beam, will oneshot clodsire with ice beam, will oneshot corviknight with blizzard, will two shot chi-yu with blizzard, will take about 80% off garganacl with blizzard. With shadow ball, it outspeeds and kills skelledirge, and obviously oneshots gholdengo as well if it tries to swap in. This pokemon might be kind of a meme because it's slow, but if you're looking for an offensive threat that can just obliterate any wall it's one of the only ones right now that I've found. It also has huge surprise factor and people don't realize how much damage it's actually going to do. I was originally trying to use it with slowking and chilly reception but I couldn't get slowking to reliably work.

I'm gonna add up on this by saying that if Glaceon comes in with both screens up and gets to grab a single cm boost. it's gonna def take something out especially if it goes for tera before to avoid dying to something like Mach Punch Breloom. Tera Electric works very good since you can bait in Ground types and slap them in the face with Ice Beam. I definitively recommend pairing it with Grimmsnarl, since you can guarantee that you can set up screens with Prankster unless a Dark-Type shows up

I'm gonna add up on this by saying that if Glaceon comes in with both screens up and gets to grab a single cm boost. it's gonna def take something out especially if it goes for tera before to avoid dying to something like Mach Punch Breloom. Tera Electric works very good since you can bait in Ground types and slap them in the face with Ice Beam. I definitively recommend pairing it with Grimmsnarl, since you can guarantee that you can set up screens with Prankster unless a Dark-Type shows up
you cannot bait in grounds with glaceon my guy its literally an ice type
even if it teras it keeps its ice stab and ice moves

Well you don't exactly bait those in but they aren't really safe at all on the switch in. But still the surprise factor of how hard it hits could probably make it somewhat worth to invest in o a team with screens support + maybe Shed Tail support from Cyclizar just to be extra safe and to be able to set up multiple CM for an Ice STAB that hits harder than Iron Bundle's Ice STABs when it was allowed in the tier

I have already made one post on Revival Blessing but have some additional thoughts to add. To me, the move that is most comparable to Revival Blessing is Healing Wish/Lunar Dance. They have a similar effect in giving a sweeper a second chance to get in the game. Healing Wish clearly gives you a better chance at this since it purges status and heals to 100% before hazards. Revival Blessing heals to only 50%. Conversely, Healing Wish requires you to sacrifice a mon. Healing Wish has a much better distribution as well. Healing Wish also requires the target to still have some HP which means it had to be switched out at some point.

Both moves do their best work on offensive builds, although I could definitely see a slower paced team that uses Revival Blessing to bring a wall back. Overall, to me Healing Wish/Lunar Dance is the better move. I previously said that I felt Revival Blessing was not broken but uncompetitive. I still think this is true. Healing Wish does not feel as uncompetitive to me, but I can't really articulate why. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Glaceon is a fringe viable mon due to low speed and weak phys def. Even with a tera, it still gets smoked by most of the physical attackers in the tier. It will eventually settle into a good niche in lower tiers, but the mon has been PU or worse for the last few gens for a reason.

I... What? I do like infernape a lot and I like slack off as an option on it but I'm not saying chien pao is going to be best with recover either. Infernape was just an example of a Pokemon than similarly is not very good at taking hits, and that I was able to use a recovery move on effectively. It's not a stretch to think chien pao might be able to leverage it's offensive presence in the same way to play around passive damage. You on the other hand immediately dismissed the idea of running recovery on an offensive Pokemon.
I dismissed the idea because the meta doesn’t allow the idea to be valid at this time.
The player who gave the suggestion understands why I said what I said.

I don’t understand why your having a hard time grasping what I am saying.
You claim to have been ranked #4.

A player with the ability to be ranked #4 in any generation should also have the knowledge to know when certain things should be dismissed.
The reason things get dismissed is to save players time and to minimize confusion.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Can we get a timeframe for when the survey results will be posted? Been looking forward to it.
Deadline to submit responses is tonight. I’m at work right now and will be out with IRL stuff until around 11pm GMT-5, but then plan to work on it and already have compiled a good deal of responses. Given the volume (around 4K responses), it may take a bit, so expect it up either at 1-2AM GMT-5 tonight or after whenever I wake up tomorrow morning GMT-5.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I previously said that I felt Revival Blessing was not broken but uncompetitive. I still think this is true. Healing Wish does not feel as uncompetitive to me, but I can't really articulate why. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Because Healing Wish forces you to lose a mon to maintain a mon you already have, while Revival Blessing makes you gain a mon that you already lost while sacrificing nothing but time.
Given the volume (around 4K responses),
Jesus. I knew it was going to get a lot of responses since the meta’s new and interest is high, but I didn’t expect that many.

a fun set I've been having a ton of success with:

:volcarona:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 108 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

I should probably be frantically explaining the lack of timbs
even with gholdengo, good hazard support isn't actually all that hard to come by, hatterene provides excellent anti-hazard measures to the point where its often more than enough to keep hazards off, of course you could always run this set with boots, but I think that leftovers allows for it to function much easier, speaking of which:
this thing sets up on every special attacker in the tier, bar skeledirge for fairly obvious reasons, valiant? setup fodder, gholdengo? trick can be annoying but even when tricked it can check gholdengo all game long, even if it never gets to sweep, chi-yu? you need a free switchin but once you get that its setup fodder without tera fire + specs, pult? setup fodder, iron moth? setup fodder.

tera fairy keeps you safe from sucker punches and garganacl's salt cure, (meaning you actually set up on garganacl) and the speed is invested to outrun banded meowscarada at +1, this set has checks, of course, but I think it is more efficiant than more standard volcarona sets, as it lets it set up on more pokemon including several otherwise dangerous threats. enjoy!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have already made one post on Revival Blessing but have some additional thoughts to add. To me, the move that is most comparable to Revival Blessing is Healing Wish/Lunar Dance. They have a similar effect in giving a sweeper a second chance to get in the game. Healing Wish clearly gives you a better chance at this since it purges status and heals to 100% before hazards. Revival Blessing heals to only 50%. Conversely, Healing Wish requires you to sacrifice a mon. Healing Wish has a much better distribution as well. Healing Wish also requires the target to still have some HP which means it had to be switched out at some point.

Both moves do their best work on offensive builds, although I could definitely see a slower paced team that uses Revival Blessing to bring a wall back. Overall, to me Healing Wish/Lunar Dance is the better move. I previously said that I felt Revival Blessing was not broken but uncompetitive. I still think this is true. Healing Wish does not feel as uncompetitive to me, but I can't really articulate why. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Glaceon is a fringe viable mon due to low speed and weak phys def. Even with a tera, it still gets smoked by most of the physical attackers in the tier. It will eventually settle into a good niche in lower tiers, but the mon has been PU or worse for the last few gens for a reason.
100% disagree by a long shot. Healing Wish is not better than bringing a Pokémon back from the dead. Heal Bell and Aromatherapy heals status (Something Healing Wish / Lunar Dance does). Rest, Wish, Roost, Softboiled, Recover, Milk Drink, Moonlight, and Morning Sun all recover HP from a Pokémon as long as they have 1 HP / Not Fainted (Something Healing Wish / Lunar Dance does). Healing Wish / Lunar Dance has a sacrifice, the user of the move faints in order to heal a Pokémon to full health and cure volatile status. The way you win a Competitive Pokémon 6 v 6 is by having the opponents Pokémon's all faint. Revival Blessing's goes against the grain, something that has never been plausible in competitive Pokémon and probably for good reason. Bringing a Pokémon of choice back from fainting (With status cleared regardless of it being at 50%) is uncompetitive. It's currently a backwards process and I've said this before in conjunction with Sleep Talk and Leppa Berry (where it can be used multiple times in a single match), it's broken and should be banned outright. The one downfall to Revival Blessing is that it's 1 PP, but Sleep Talk and Leppa Berry fix it's one issue.

In my humble opinion, Revival Blessing without conjunction of Leppa Berry and Sleep Talk doesn't warrant a ban, but when it's used in conjunction with those two it's absolutely broken and needs to be banned as soon as possible. Revival Blessing is WAY better of a move than Healing Wish / Lunar Dance because you can heal Pokémon and cure volatile status with different moves that already exist.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
a fun set I've been having a ton of success with:

:volcarona:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 108 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

I should probably be frantically explaining the lack of timbs
even with gholdengo, good hazard support isn't actually all that hard to come by, hatterene provides excellent anti-hazard measures to the point where its often more than enough to keep hazards off, of course you could always run this set with boots, but I think that leftovers allows for it to function much easier, speaking of which:
this thing sets up on every special attacker in the tier, bar skeledirge for fairly obvious reasons, valiant? setup fodder, gholdengo? trick can be annoying but even when tricked it can check gholdengo all game long, even if it never gets to sweep, chi-yu? you need a free switchin but once you get that its setup fodder without tera fire + specs, pult? setup fodder, iron moth? setup fodder.

tera fairy keeps you safe from sucker punches and garganacl's salt cure, (meaning you actually set up on garganacl) and the speed is invested to outrun banded meowscarada at +1, this set has checks, of course, but I think it is more efficiant than more standard volcarona sets, as it lets it set up on more pokemon including several otherwise dangerous threats. enjoy!
I really have to doubt you’re having “a ton of success” with non-Boots Volcarona in the current meta. That’s a pretty hefty claim that needs replays to back it up.

I really have to doubt you’re having “a ton of success” with non-Boots Volcarona in the current meta. That’s a pretty hefty claim that needs replays to back it up.
as I mentioned, hatterene basically makes hazards a non-factor in most cases, although if you're really so skeptical, I'd be happy to provide some replays, although it may take a bit as I haven't been saving very many games

I’m hoping this is the correct place to discuss. While tpci focuses on doubles, they did make an announcement I want to discuss. https://assets.pokemon.com//assets/...ormats-and-penalty-guidelines-12052022-en.pdf

Specifically, open team sheets for all events. Why am I bringing this up? If tpci feels that open team sheets bring a more competitive environment, for many reasons at in person and online events, should we not consider it for smogon tournaments? I’ve seen a lot of discussion around Tera and if it’s competitive, when I feel like the solution is simple.Don’t change tera, but require some level of team sheet for events. This could include up to what tpci requires (moves items teras etc, but not evs ivs) or it could include less, or more. While smogon events do not run into all the same issues in person events do with scouting and networking, tpci believes open team sheets lead to more competitive doubles gameplay, should we not consider the viability of it in singles? Personally with open team sheets I believe singles tournaments with tera would be more competitive and potentially be a solution to the tera conundrum.

Recently replaced my regular spinner with Glimmora. It's just really solid. No, it still can't Mortal Spin on Gholdengo. But changing the immunity from Ghost to Steel can be handy against those double ghost cores on hazard stack which some people seem to complain about. Plus it has earth power for if Gholdengo and most steel types decide they might want to switch in on it every time. It's just an easier match up for certain teams and it's nice to have that. The role compression it is capable of also doesn't hurt.

In general, I feel like Glimmora's versatility isn't talked about a lot. It can set screens, has a 130 base special attack with a strong move pool, and even could set all weather types besides snow if you wanted to.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
If tpci feels that open team sheets bring a more competitive environment, for many reasons at in person and online events, should we not consider it for smogon tournaments?
TPCI also feels that a 20-minute timer brings a more competitive environment. They wouldn’t know what a properly competitive environment was if it smacked them in the face. I wouldn’t put too much stock in adopting whatever format the VGC Marketing Team thinks will bring in the most viewers.

Last edited:
100% disagree by a long shot. Healing Wish is not better than bringing a Pokémon back from the dead. Heal Bell and Aromatherapy heals status (Something Healing Wish / Lunar Dance does). Rest, Wish, Roost, Softboiled, Recover, Milk Drink, Moonlight, and Morning Sun all recover HP from a Pokémon as long as they have 1 HP / Not Fainted (Something Healing Wish / Lunar Dance does). Healing Wish / Lunar Dance has a sacrifice, the user of the move faints in order to heal a Pokémon to full health and cure volatile status. The way you win a Competitive Pokémon 6 v 6 is by having the opponents Pokémon's all faint. Revival Blessing's goes against the grain, something that has never been plausible in competitive Pokémon and probably for good reason. Bringing a Pokémon of choice back from fainting (With status cleared regardless of it being at 50%) is uncompetitive. It's currently a backwards process and I've said this before in conjunction with Sleep Talk and Leppa Berry (where it can be used multiple times in a single match), it's broken and should be banned outright. The one downfall to Revival Blessing is that it's 1 PP, but Sleep Talk and Leppa Berry fix it's one issue.

In my humble opinion, Revival Blessing without conjunction of Leppa Berry and Sleep Talk doesn't warrant a ban, but when it's used in conjunction with those two it's absolutely broken and needs to be banned as soon as possible. Revival Blessing is WAY better of a move than Healing Wish / Lunar Dance because you can heal Pokémon and cure volatile status with different moves that already exist.
I dont disagree with this at all. I just wanted to compare the two moves and I think you really articulate why Revival Blessing feels uncompetitive. The cost is almost nonexistent.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Everyone is talking about Chi-Yu, Pao, and Annihilape, but Garganacl is absolutely nasty.

-Immune to status
-Impossible to kill in one hit
-Impossible to switch in safely
-ID BP wins games on its own
-Tera makes it more broken
-Salt Cure is a bitch ass move

After all the other stuff goes, we need to look at this, cause how tf do you check something like this

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
-Impossible to switch in safely
How so? Realistically, the only damaging moves it runs are Body Press and Salt Cure. It resists Ghost, sure, but the standard set also can’t really do anything to Ghosts, and there are a lot of good Ghost-types out there right now. Annihilape sets up in its face with a sub it can never break, Dragapult does Dragapult things, Skeledirge boosts up on it and slacks off the residual damage, Gholdengo ratios it with Make It Rain, and I’m sure there’s another one I’m forgetting that does something else to it. There’s also Clodsire, which ignores Iron Defense and resists both of Garganacl’s moves, and Great Tusk, which Garganacl needs to either already be set up or Tera to take on.

I don’t disagree that Garganacl is an excellent mon, possibly top 10 or even top 5 once the meta settles down, but I wouldn’t call it broken.

Last edited:
TPCI also feels that a 20-minute timer brings a more competitive environment. They wouldn’t know what a properly competitive environment was if it smacked them in the face. I wouldn’t put too much stock in adopting whatever format the VGC Marketing Team thinks will bring in the most viewers.
the timer is likely so rounds can get finished and large events can be run in a weekend rather than multiple weeks/months. In person events are another beast of their own. However that’s not what I’m trying to discuss. I think open sheets in tournament would allow tera to exist in a way that lead to more competitive games. That has nothing to do with 20 minute timers, so can we stay on topic?

This sort of smogon truther take is the Pokémon equivalent to an American thinking they live in the best country in the world lol. So narrow-minded and lacking in self awareness. If you only know smogon 6v6, don’t try to make sweeping claims about the rest of the world.

Gamefreak doesn’t endorse singles at all as a competitive environment. The 20 minute timer is them strictly not endorsing smogon style 6v6, it has absolutely nothing to do with competition.

You’re free to dislike VGC, but to say it’s not competitive or a strong competitive environment is simply wrong. Should we implement everything VGC does here? Absolutely not; but there’s nothing wrong with considering the format tera was balanced around when thinking about how to balance tera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)