SM Ubers Analysis Index

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Arceus-Fairy is back up for reservation.

I would like to post some advice for new analysis writers as I think it would be helpful to everyone:

Old Fairyceus Thread said:
I think the biggest tip I could give you going forward is that you should never base set listings off ladder stats. It's generally common knowledge that the ladder does not reflect what works at a high level of play, and SM is so young that ladder stats are liable to go through fluctuations in the future anyway. If you are unsure of any sets to include, I would welcome you (and anyone else) to PM a QC member asking for opinions before posting - just remember that our job is not to proxy write the analysis for you.
While we welcome new analysis writers, we do expect the writer to have some experience with the target Pokemon - enough to be able to make an accurate judgment about what sets to include and what its place in the metagame is, and QC will know if something is up. If you are unsure, you may ask for advice via forum PM or our Discord channel.

e: Another general tip others may find useful:

My main tip is that you need to make a casual link between facts and the tier. Otherwise there is no information in what you write.

Last edited:
I have fully updated the OP and the reservations for these Pokemon have all been dropped and are open once more:

Dialga
Darkrai
Blissey
Shaymin-S
Arceus-Poison
Kyurem-W

Yes, that is 6 mons that have been reserved and have seen no skeleton or explanation otherwise. This is unacceptable. Do not reserve things for the shits and giggles, and do NOT reserve things you do not have adequate knowledge of - KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING YOURSELF INTO. Users who continually do not follow up on their reservations or repeatedly show a lack of quality in said reservations may find themselves prevented from doing so in the future.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
May I reserve Froslass? Spikes setter that spinblocks which allows for ekiller builds and icy wind+sball is problematic to other suicide leads etc + mdiancie is dead

Resisting ice helps in a pinch vs cloy too

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Alolan Muk is back up for reservation

I'm also taking Zekrom
I know I'm a bit delayed with my Arceus-Ground analysis, but everything I was busy with is now out of the way and I will be completing it as soon as possible.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would like to make a case for Buzzwole to receive an analysis.

Buzzwole can fill the role of a decent physical tank: it boasts 107/139 physical bulk with Roost and resistances to Ground, Dark, and Fighting, along with a neutrality to Rock. It can check Extremekiller Arceus, any Primal Groudon without a Fire move, any Groundceus set, Darkceus, Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, other physical Ground-types such as Excadrill and Landorus-T, and Mega Kangaskhan with ease. 139 Attack lets it smack the Pokemon it checks pretty hard. Buzzwole can also viably defend itself against Mega Gengar trapping attempts: while Buzzwole has mediocre special bulk, Mega Gengar can only OHKO with Wisp boosted Hex and Buzzwole can easily OHKO Mega Gengar with Earthquake, so removing Buzzwole with Mega Gengar isn't necessarily easy.

Buzzwole does have some clear flaws: it has mediocre Special Defense, its Speed is below average, and it gets completely owned by Fairies and Birds. However, Buzzwole's good synergy with support Arceus formes and grounded Steels make it possible to fit Buzzwole into defensive cores where these weaknesses are covered. I've been using it for awhile and I think it's good enough to warrant an analysis.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
May I reserve Froslass? Spikes setter that spinblocks which allows for ekiller builds and icy wind+sball is problematic to other suicide leads etc + mdiancie is dead

Resisting ice helps in a pinch vs cloy too
QC discussed this mon and we determined it to be outclassed by Greninja, who can do all the same stuff (including spinblock with Protean Shadow Sneak), while having overall better stats.

Also I discussed Buzzwole with QC over Discord and got the go-ahead, so I am now reserving it.

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sooooo I'm picking Lando-T! :)))))

i thought i'd have time but my mother is still in the hospital so i'm postponing it :[ sorry

Last edited:

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Before testing Froslass I did weigh out the differences between it and Greninja myself and found a few redeeming traits in it that Greninja does not have.

Icy Wind has outstanding benefits against opposing leads. It's safe turn 1 against Deoxys-S whether they Taunt or hazard because if the Deoxys clicks a hazard, Froslass Taunts the next turn and limits the Deoxys to a single hazard and Froslass proceeds to set Spikes over the opposing team. If it uses Taunt against Froslass it follows up with Shadow Ball which has a decent chance to KO after taking damage from Icy Wind. Although there is a chance Icy Wind + Shadow Ball does not KO Deoxys, Froslass still limits Deoxys to a single hazard but within an equally unfavorable scenario as if it were to set SR turn 1 and allow Froslass to still play safe and set Spikes and stop set-ups with Taunt. The most Greninja can muster in this matchup is to land repetitive shadow sneaks to dispatch the Deoxys, however 53.2% of the time Deoxys will get 2 hazards if it uses Taunt on turn 1 against Greninja.

Additionally, Froslass always gets three turns against Cloyster leads, one of which can be used to set Spikes. Jolly Cloyster never 2HKOes 0 HP / 0 Def Froslass. Calc below

* 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Froslass: 110-135 (39.1 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

In this matchup, Froslass can still play safe by clicking Taunt, Spikes, then Shadow Ball to break Cloyster's Focus Sash and allow for a revenge kill. In this matchup is where the advantages of Froslass's natural Ghost typing come into play. It blocks Rapid Spin without having to use a move unlike Greninja. Greninja vs. Cloyster is always a jumble between getting your hazards spun away to click Taunt and prevent a Shell Smash set up, or stopping Rapid Spin spam with Shadow Sneak and risking Icicle Spear with a result of no hazards; obviously, a favorable situation to the Cloyster. Froslass is appealing against this lead because it can always set a hazard, prevent opposing hazards from going up, spinblock, and do it safely which Greninja cannot.

Against Greninja leads, though, Froslass struggles. Greninja will always be able to get a hazard down against it and 2HKO it with Shadow Sneak. However, if Greninja uses Shadow Sneak, Froslass is slower than Greninja and can OHKO it with Shadow Ball after Protean has adopted the Ghost-type. Because of this matchup a complimenting lead such as Aerodactyl or Darkrai is helpful.

Furthermore, Icy Wind is both super effective and nets a speed drop against Mega Salamence to prevent it from setting up without resorting to Taunt, another advantage it has over Greninja and other leads. In a similar light, Froslass's Ice STAB wards off traditional anti-leads such as Rayquaza, and the Ghost-type prevents it from being picked off by ExtremeSpeed. This advantage is transferable to the uncommon Deoxys-A lead as well.

Again, the Ghost-type gives some freedom in the teambuilder as well to allow for offensive builds that can opt for another Mega than Gengar and another Arceus forme beside -Ghost. I think that these and the aforementioned traits highlighted throughout my post warrants a second look at giving Froslass an analysis for the SuMo Ubers metagame (which I will gladly write).

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey look no-one's reserved Xerneas yet. I'll reserve Xerneas.

I'll get the skeleton up ASAP, but I won't be around for about 1-2 weeks after that, so if that's going to be a problem, just let me know and I'll drop the reservation.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
I'll get the skeleton up ASAP, but I won't be around for about 1-2 weeks after that, so if that's going to be a problem, just let me know and I'll drop the reservation.
We really ought to get Xerneas done ASAP so I'm going to go ahead and say no. If it's still unclaimed by the time you return then you can have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)