Pokemon Platinum - (Uber Discussion Thread)

I wondering about the new number of Trick users able to be abused. The likes of Lugia and Lati@s would be intersting to abuse.
Like I said before, you probably wont see a lot of Lati@s using Trick. Lati@s need their Soul Dews pretty badly in Ubers, so it would be foolish to Trick them to another Pokemon, unless you're Tricking Choice Scarf onto another Lati@s. That would be very interesting. Anyone else and though you've Tricked a Choice Item, you're still left with a Soul Dew-less Lati@s. The same applies to Lugia to a lesser extent: though no item significantly raises its stats, Lugia likes its Leftovers VERY much. Not to mention Mewtwo and Mew can probably pull Trick off better.

Also, I think you missed a rather important move for Giratina: Spite.

PP Killer Giratina.

Giratina (Another Form) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Impish
252 HP/248 Defense/ 12 SpD
~ Substitute
~ Spite
~ Roar
~ Dragon Claw

A rework of the anti-Arceus set, but the idea is fairly simple, set up a Sub to absorb their attack, then Spite away their PP. You could alternatively use Protect, but Sub stops Blissey from doing anything productive to you. Roar to phaze things out, and Dragon Claw so that Taunt doesn't ruin you.

With so many Low PP moves, Spite Giratina can set up a foe to be unable to counter your opponents pokemon. Having to spend 2 PP just to get around Giratina's Sub is bad enough, but when it can Spite away 2-5 more PP and then switch out, it gets ugly pretty fast, even in a realm of Maxed PP.

Spite aways lowers by 4 PP in DP making it even more viable of a move

Is it possible for Mew to baton pass magnet rise? I'm just wondering if it would be possible for her to pass it to steel types.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I remember reading somewhere that Magnet Rise is Baton Passable. But on that note, EQ really is not a common move in ubers, nor is Earth Power.

I know but I just saw the mention of using EP to beat steel types. So if magnet rise is baton passable it would be a way around that. I'm not going to pretend like I have extensive knowledge of the uber metagame it was just something that came to mind and I've been wanting to know for awhile now.

Too bad there are no baton passing risers in OU...

Like I said before, you probably wont see a lot of Lati@s using Trick. Lati@s need their Soul Dews pretty badly in Ubers, so it would be foolish to Trick them to another Pokemon, unless you're Tricking Choice Scarf onto another Lati@s. That would be very interesting. Anyone else and though you've Tricked a Choice Item, you're still left with a Soul Dew-less Lati@s. The same applies to Lugia to a lesser extent: though no item significantly raises its stats, Lugia likes its Leftovers VERY much. Not to mention Mewtwo and Mew can probably pull Trick off better.
I dunno, I can see some potential in Trick Lugia, perhaps as a lead with Choice Scarf. Something along the lines of Ice Beam / Thunder Wave / Trick / Roost with max HP and Speed could be used to offer a different kind of supporting wall, more focused on crippling the opponent than directly supporting the team. It would outrun everything up to Modest Scarf Darkrai and be capable of crippling a good number of leads in one way or another, whilst still being bulky and difficult to kill. Could also function as an efficient revenge-killer of DD Rayquaza if still holding the Scarf.

But, as it has been said before, Trick is kind of a double-edged sword, as greater availability comes with greater risk, with more Pokemon able to absorb it. Plus there is always Origin Giratina, the ultimate Trick blocker, who can really punish you if you give it a free turn to set up.

Damn that Gamefreak, they really hate Groudon. He needs more love.

So what is going to be Dialga counter? Only Fighting Arceus and Wobbuffet?

Hmmmm I am seeing a lot of new moves, but Trick Mew seems the most game changing out of them all.
Mew got Trick in Pokemon XD via that Mew-only Move Tutor guy. Why make such a big deal of it now? I know it's easier to get this way, but it's not something new in Mew's Movepool at all. >.>;

Mew got Trick in Pokemon XD via that Mew-only Move Tutor guy. Why make such a big deal of it now? I know it's easier to get this way, but it's not something new in Mew's Movepool at all. >.>;
I heard Trick on Mew was a typo or something on Serebii. If it did get trick then I'd imagine smogon would list it as at least another option in the analysis, but they don't. Bulbapedia doesn't list it as a move it can get either.

But, as it has been said before, Trick is kind of a double-edged sword, as greater availability comes with greater risk, with more Pokemon able to absorb it. Plus there is always Origin Giratina, the ultimate Trick blocker, who can really punish you if you give it a free turn to set up.
How does Giratina block Trick?

Hmmmm I am seeing a lot of new moves, but Trick Mew seems the most game changing out of them all.
What exactly can Trick Mew do that Trick Mewtwo can't?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
How does Giratina block Trick?
Origin Forme has a Sticky Hold effect just like Arceus, so that it cannot be forced to change forms in mid battle

And yes, this would be the first time Mew got Trick. Mew learned Role Play in XD, NOT Trick. (Tested and confirmed)

I find funny the fact that Latias got Sucker Punch, yet Latios didn't.
Obviously, Latios pissed Latias off during that time of the month, and it didn't end that well for Latios.

Seriously, though, Mew has the advantage of Trick and U-turn, while Mewtwo has only Trick. Otherwise, Mew lacks a lot in the stat department in comparison to Mewtwo.

(Btw, how does it work against Sash Shedinja? Does it OHKO or 2HKO?)
On Shoddy it OHKOs, knocking off the item first. I don't know if this is correct though.

Can't wait to use Hypnosis/Trick/Transform/U-Turn Mew @ Scarf!

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
After a swords dance:

>> Sucker punch Shedinja OHKOs 363 HP/216 Def Mewtwo about 33% of the time and always OHKOs with stealth rock.
>> Expected damage from sucker punch followed by shadow sneak on 416 HP (442 HP including one turn of leftovers)/316 Def Lugia* totals 428.

* Assuming timid calm mind spread now that it gets earth power

Just a few fun numbers =]

nasty plot darkrai is going to increase the number of pokemon hitting 384+ in uber significantly. mewtwo, deoxys, and scarfed pokemon are going to become much, much more popular.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
After a swords dance:

>> Sucker punch Shedinja OHKOs 363 HP/216 Def Mewtwo about 33% of the time and always OHKOs with stealth rock.
>> Expected damage from sucker punch followed by shadow sneak on 416 HP (442 HP including one turn of leftovers)/316 Def Lugia* totals 428.

* Assuming timid calm mind spread now that it gets earth power

Just a few fun numbers =]
Exactly, everyone before thought Shadow Sneak > Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch has great potential on Shedinja.

maybe people will run DD and outrage Latios lmao but im liking the stats on giratina's origin form

Giratina (origin form) @ life orb/white herb/expert belt
Modest/Timid
252 sp atk/220 spe/38 hp
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Calm mind
Aura Sphere
Shadow Ball/Shadow Force

ghost and dragon hit almost all ubers super effective, and aura sphere covers most of the rest. this form isnt as bulky as origin form, so you might have trouble getting calm minds in. shadow force i mentioned because 1) it is his signiture move and 2) it hurts, alot. and it can even stall when used right. dragon pulse/ draco meteor is choice, but Latios might think twice about switching into you with draco meteor. use mild or hasty if you want to use shadow force, but its not really a good idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)