Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumor I based my Gardevoir post on was the one that stated that Fairy would be immune to Dragon, weak to Steel and Poison, and strong against Dragon, Fighting, and Dark.

Also, I agree with jc104, Fairy type is the new best attacking type. Dragon, Fighting, and Dark are all powerful types, and a bulky fairy type would be sick. I'm willing to bet that Xerneas is going to be a force in Ubers if it has any defensive capabilities

Also, if dark wasn't weak to fairy, the move used by gardevoir on Hydreigon in the trailer would have around 120 bp (give or take around 10), rather than the more likely 60 (given the name fairy wind).
I'm sorry but what does the name have to with anything. The newest fairy type also gets fairy wind. It could just be a low power attack that they were showing off to promote the new type. A 40 BP attack with stab will not KO even if has stab

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm still not sold on the pokebeach rumor. I can't believe the professor is no longer named after a tree, dual type attacks, and the starter typings. I know I've said it a ton of times, but Chespin in particular being part dark just does not seem right, especially when the "mystery move" it was using against golurk was speculated to be night slash. We know for 100% sure now it's not/that it is aerial ace. Only one pokemon has learned aerial ace by level up so far and not been flying, but it could happen again.

I just don't see the likelyhood of a reverse starter triangle going on. It's just not something you'd expect gamefreak to do, except for the mysterious one in 4th gen that's not a true triangle and could really have been coincidental.

Also, the professor not named after a tree? That's crazy talk.

I'm still not sold on the pokebeach rumor. I can't believe the professor is no longer named after a tree, dual type attacks, and the starter typings. I know I've said it a ton of times, but Chespin in particular being part dark just does not seem right, especially when the "mystery move" it was using against golurk was speculated to be night slash. We know for 100% sure now it's not/that it is aerial ace. Only one pokemon has learned aerial ace by level up so far and not been flying, but it could happen again.

I just don't see the likelyhood of a reverse starter triangle going on. It's just not something you'd expect gamefreak to do, except for the mysterious one in 4th gen that's not a true triangle and could really have been coincidental.

GF has been breaking from tradition a lot lately so why would a professor not named after a tree be weird?

the dragon type is pretty diverse, too. you've got haxorus, a weird-but-cool axe-headed thinger, then you've got a stereotypical western dragon in the form of dragonite, and then you've got a more eastern rayquaza [and gyarados, which isn't dragon for some reason]. you've also a sea horse in kingdra, a fluffy bird in altaria, and a chicken in reshiram.

all types are diverse, but i think dragon is the best one to compare to faeries. both types aren't just something you can go "oh yeah there's a fire on it so it must be fire type" or something in the sense that they're more abstract, but can both definitely work.

that's my two cents, anyway.
Eh, I suppose. I see your point though, so I'll remain neutral on the type until more Pokemon of the type come out.

Btw, White Kyurem is just microwaved chicken.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry but what does the name have to with anything. The newest fairy type also gets fairy wind. It could just be a low power attack that they were showing off to promote the new type. A 40 BP attack with stab will not KO even if has stab
I don't think you're getting it. The point is that you can run a damage calculation using a lv50 Gardevoir against a Lv50 Hydreigon, giving a base power for fairy wind of around 120 if fairy is neutral against dark (obviously there is quite some variation as you don't know the EVs/IVs/nature). Given the name and appearance of the attack, it seems unlikely that its base power is that high (to me, anyway). Therefore, it seems likely that dark is weak to fairy.

edit: actually seems I may have messed up - would be 60 and 30, so I suppose we have no idea.

Although I don't watch the anime, I am very curious to see whether they make pikachu into a fairy type pokemon similar to marill. This would be curious as on one hand they are heralding the new type by retyping arguably the face of pokemon, while on the other hand they are destroying the tried and true partner of Ash.

My only real problem with fairy type is the obscurity that has been discussed. I am sure this will be settled in time and GF will come up with a quasi logical system for retyping and typing things fairy type but until more is revealed how far does it go? Marill, Pikachu, Plusle, Minun, etc all appear to have the same claim to fairy type the cute adorable pokemon. Surely not all cute pokemon are fairies. Gardevoir is an interesting choice to illustrate that fairies are not merely cute chibi pokemon, but can be fully grown and powerful. I am excited to see fairy combos that will allow GF to lead the fairy name away from cute and tiny and show some darker full developed fairies.

A pseudo legendary will probably be fairy to show off the new type. Although so far this gen appears at least mostly from the rumors attempting to play around with mixed typing far more heavily than Gen 5 did, which I greatly appreciate. So possibly the majority of other types lacking a pseudo legendary may have the opportunity to join the fray.

I will lose it if IVs become manageable based on the pokemon amie. Hopefully, eying and IVing being visible in the game and made easier will allow for trainer's pokemon to also have some evs as well as a better AI. This would make the game harder which a lot of fans have been asking for. Many will argue that Pokemon is a childs game but nintendo acknowledges the large player base that has stuck with Pokemon growing up which has sparked many of the innovations that we have already seen. If this or any harder mode exists I also hope that it is available from the get go with as the key system in BW2 was a hassle and annoying imo. If they want to continue that method maybe a possible nightmare mode could be available after finishing the game. In this mode all trainer's pokemon will be higher leveled, better move sets, and EVd. Possibly asking too much but I can dream.

Also despite the graphics, beautiful battles, I really hope that the story for the game is well thought out. I greatly enjoyed BW for their story. Granted I acknowledge that I will never receive an open world allowing me to explore and take on the gyms in various order or where decisions I make affect the story to greatly, but little add ons beyond oh no one has seen pokemon before please collect them all or battle the gyms and become champion would make the play through that much more enjoyable.

I am for the first time since gen 3 interested in poke contests. I love the simplicity of gen 3 contests. I found gen 4 and 5 contests tedious and a waste of time. With the new frontier on the 3DS as well as the 3D, I am excited to have a more visually entertaining contest experience.

I realize that I am starting to ramble but as I mentioned the increased dual typing as well as the stated interested in competitive battling makes me curious of the trolltastic spreads that the pokemon will have this generation as well as the possibility of making amends to spreads of pokemon of previous generations. As a competitive battler I would hate to see spreads changed as it would create and upheaval that I simply am not ready for. As a fan of several NU's I would love to see some slight boosts. I in no way intend to start the arguments that derive from this, I am merely pointing out that they are changing types of old pokemon and thus changing stats has a slim chance of being possible.

5th gen has showed to expect changes even for traditions that have been kept since the beginning. The first new Pokemon in the Pokedex wasn't the the Grass starter, but a Fire/Psychic legendary. They not only released more pokemon than the 1st gen introduced, but they also made sure there were no relatives to older Pokemon for once. Instead of a Third
version we got a pair of Sequels within the same generation, and said sequels had the names "Black 2 & White 2" to make sure you didn't forget that. They decided to make a pure-Flying Type, which many people beforehand had argued would be impossible because it'd just be a "pair of wings". They also did something no-one thought would happen: They retconned the typing of a dual-typed Pokemon. Added Steel to Magnemite was one thing, it was a new type, but they too the Rotom formes from the generation before and retconned its Ghost type to whatever type their special moves were. Also note that they broke another rule and made it so Pokemon can have a third ability(And in Basculin's case, a fourth). They made actual FUSION Pokemon with the new Kyurem formes, something which many people in the past would say would mean the series had jumped the shark.

All of these are alot more radical and no-one would believe me if I went back in time and told alot of this stuff before 5th gen came out saying it would never happen.

The localization deciding NOT to name the Professor after a tree is many times more reasonable than what has happened last gen.

(I will admit some of those points I made were weaker than others, but I'm tired and I have work to do and there's a reason why I haven't posted on here in years)

Yes Chespin used Aerial Ace but it is unconfirmed if he learned it through leveling up, while it is confirmed from a screen shot that he also learns roll out. Basing an evolution only on one move proves to be truly impossible with a rock flying controversy. The truth is that any of the starters could go in any direction. I don't recall anybody claiming fire pig starter to be fire fighting. Typing is all in speculation at this point and GF can truly do whatever they want.

I'm not sold that Fairy is super effective against Dark. Fairy Wind would have to be 25-30 BP at most to have only done that much stab 4x damage to Hydreigon which is certainly possible but I just feel it's unlikely since it doesn't seem to show any secondary effects either (or at least that the video shows).

GF also admitted that Fairy was an answer to balancing how overpowered Dragon was and frankly Dark needs buffs if anything so this move just wouldn't make sense at all.

I'm just not sold yet. Sticking with maybe possible but unlikely.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I know. I for some reason had the attack as physical by mistake while calcing, with a hindering nature not thinking it mattered. Gardy has pathetic attack lol.

It is either roughly 60 (neutral to dark) or roughly 30 (SE against dark). Unless its NVE against dark, it seems that fairy wind won't be any significant attack.

edit: also, are you guys suggesting that pokebeach's source somehow guessed the fairy type/sky battles/whatever? I mean that's just absurdly unlikely. Unless the source is both in the know, and deliberately misleading us, then this is a legit source. Of course, not everything from an early version of the game will be the same now, let alone at release.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Gamefreak can create any Pokemon they want, having a Dark/Psychic/Fighting trio isn't a crazy idea, and you have to take into account that you are looking WAY too deep into patterns that aren't there. If they did have a D/P/F trio it'd be because they'd want to design the specific Pokemon that way not because they want to have some type trio.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I could definitely see Fairy Wind being the Fairy type's Ember/Water Gun/Vine Whip with a really low BP. They introduced "Battle Cry" which does the same thing as growl, so introducing another early-game attack makes sense in this context.

I could definitely see Fairy Wind being the Fairy type's Ember/Water Gun/Vine Whip with a really low BP. They introduced "Battle Cry" which does the same thing as growl, so introducing another early-game attack makes sense in this context.
Nobody ever said that Battle Cry only lowers your opponents attack by one stage. Maybe it's a stronger, more specialized Growl that's harder to get on a Pokemon (either by level-up or an egg move) that lowers ATK by two or three stages. I'm not going to extensively argue about patterns in between generations, but I will say that they've certainly made variants of old techniques, but they've never made an exact clone of an old move with such a face-value change.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What's the reasoning behind fennekin being fire/psychic? This was one of the absolute first things discussed, and it was pretty much decided that it used confusion/a psychic-type move. It just happens that fennekin is revealed in a rumor later to be fire/psychic?

Now, go to chespin, its attack was very early on speculated to be night slash. It just happens to be that it's claimed in the rumor to be grass/dark? Exactly the same situation as fennekin, but people will accept its typing based on its used attack and not chespin's.

The follow up information says that there is another professor named Sycamore

I don't see why Patrice can't just be an assistant to Sycamore, who would you meet later in the game.
(again assuming both of those are correct, etc etc etc)

GatoDelFuego

Well, that kind of removes the hunch I had about the source being slightly fake, so no reason not to trust the typings from this point on...but dual type moves? That seems very odd for nintendo to put in for a start, and then not even talk about so far. 4 months from release, and still keeping one of the core mechanic changes a secret?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well, that kind of removes the hunch I had about the source being slightly fake, so no reason not to trust the typings from this point on...but dual type moves? That seems very odd for nintendo to put in for a start, and then not even talk about so far. 4 months from release, and still keeping one of the core mechanic changes a secret?
When I heard the rumor about dual-type moves, it made me think they would be more akin to Secret Sword (being special but hitting physical).

i.e. 70 BP Ice-type attack that deals Fire damage (hits Steel for super effective damage, resisted by Rock, etc.) [Ice-types would still get STAB.]

why do you keep calling it a core mechanic change
it's likely a handful (if that) of gimmick moves, like the combo moves last gen which we didn't find out about until July

What's the reasoning behind fennekin being fire/psychic? This was one of the absolute first things discussed, and it was pretty much decided that it used confusion/a psychic-type move. It just happens that fennekin is revealed in a rumor later to be fire/psychic?

Now, go to chespin, its attack was very early on speculated to be night slash. It just happens to be that it's claimed in the rumor to be grass/dark? Exactly the same situation as fennekin, but people will accept its typing based on its used attack and not chespin's.
Well it's not official, so it very well might not be, but to me the reasoning in the rumor is pretty clear. Fire/Psychic - Grass/Dark - Water/Fighting as the speculated types make a perfect triangle.

Again though, it's not official/confirmed.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
When I heard the rumor about dual-type moves, it made me think they would be more akin to Secret Sword (being special but hitting physical).

i.e. 70 BP Ice-type attack that deals Fire damage (hits Steel for super effective damage, resisted by Rock, etc.) [Ice-types would still get STAB.]
Nice idea, and the only way i can see dual-typed moves being a real thing. Let's not forget that Pokemon is a kid's game mainly, and there is no way that GF would introduce moves that are difficult for kids to figure out their effectiveness against other types.

The follow up information says that there is another professor named Sycamore

I don't see why Patrice can't just be an assistant to Sycamore, who would you meet later in the game.
(again assuming both of those are correct, etc etc etc)
That is fitting things too much for convenience. The leak said the Professor was Patrice not an assistance. I was the first to jump on many band wagons but dual typed moves seem so far fetched unless they are implemented like pledge moves in doubles/rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)