Pet Mods General Discussion Thread

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
can pet mods implement graphics for their pocket monsters these days? back when i worked on one i believe it wasn't possible
Yes, they can. On Dragon Heaven, we're setting up a custom client, and the sprites are working correctly.

Here's a sprite (I know, it's a little offset) for a pokemon from Fusion Evolution, in the teambuilder.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
does this go for in-battle as well? earlio expressed it in away that made them seem like seperate problems to solve. Does the custom client thing need specialized programming skill or the same basic modding ability as server mods?
The same basic modding ability. I’d give another example but I’m on a phone right now. Contact Charizard8888 if you need any More details on it

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
does this go for in-battle as well? earlio expressed it in away that made them seem like seperate problems to solve. Does the custom client thing need specialized programming skill or the same basic modding ability as server mods?
Yeah custom sprites can be used for battles as well. You can add front, back, front shiny, back shiny sprites in both png and gif forms.
Here's Eternal Pokemon's Charmeleon-Eternal and Metang-Eternal
1524238234144.png

Didn't have backsprite so it's the front sprite for both

1524238198396.png

Metang-Eternal is a gif, cant show it moving in the screenshot though
1524238403261.png

And the client needs the same coding as general mods coding (pokedex.js., abilities.js and all) you'll just have to copy-paste those things from the server's mod's code into the client's code.

You can test these out in Dragon Heaven's test client here
Go to the teambuilder ---> Eternal Pokemon ----> Type Charmeleoneternal and click outside of the mon selection area (Do not press Enter or Tab), give it a move and challenge BatterBotto. You can do the same for Metang-Eternal (No image in the teambuilder for it in Dragon Heaven yet since we only have a gif for it)

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't have 20 posts in OM forums yet but I'm curious if there would be interest in a fakemon project with the goal of playing them on pokemon showdown. It would have less of a serious business attitude than CAP and more rapid iteration. I would be interested in artistically rendering the concepts of others as well especially if they're helping with coding or are contributing with other niche skills. I just want to make and play fakemon and CAP has red tape stretching from here to new zealand.

EDIT: if you're interested in this project, please contact me with more than just a like to this post, i'd like to know in which way you'd want to contribute as well as just that you're interested.

I don't have 20 posts in OM forums yet but I'm curious if there would be interest in a fakemon project with the goal of playing them on pokemon showdown. It would have less of a serious business attitude than CAP and more rapid iteration. I would be interested in artistically rendering the concepts of others as well especially if they're helping with coding or are contributing with other niche skills. I just want to make and play fakemon and CAP has red tape stretching from here to new zealand.
While almost everybody of us like fakemons, I would like to see a more concrete idea for making them. Otherwise, good luck with it :]

internet

A rough draft of a possible system:

no changes to basic game mechanics, though other pet mods might be free to include the fakemon.

Multiple people submit a rough draft of a full pokemon. There should be some concept of flavor as well as every relevant competitive aspect. some sort of picture describing their appearance is required, but it need not be more than an ms paint drawing or a quick photoshop to show some design elements. There is a vote, and the winning rough draft is finalized through team effort.

People can submit balance changes and if they garner significant support they'll be acted upon.

weekly or fortnightly updates to the mod push the new pokemon and the balance changes.

I'd like to keep red tape and officiousness to a minimum, though. There should be times when the system is sidestepped if there is good reason.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
A rough draft of a possible system:

no changes to basic game mechanics, though other pet mods might be free to include the fakemon.

Multiple people submit a rough draft of a full pokemon. There should be some concept of flavor as well as every relevant competitive aspect. some sort of picture describing their appearance is required, but it need not be more than an ms paint drawing or a quick photoshop to show some design elements. There is a vote, and the winning rough draft is finalized through team effort.

People can submit balance changes and if they garner significant support they'll be acted upon.

weekly or fortnightly updates to the mod push the new pokemon and the balance changes.

I'd like to keep red tape and officiousness to a minimum, though. There should be times when the system is sidestepped if there is good reason.
This sounds like The New First Gen, but it could be cool to have a new pet mod of that kind, especially since TNFG is complete.

internet

seems the interest is definitely there including among other people who are artistically inclined. We need someone who can code the mod though, or write a guide on implementing pokemon with sprites etc. I also need to get up to 20 OM posts.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
seems the interest is definitely there including among other people who are artistically inclined. We need someone who can code the mod though, or write a guide on implementing pokemon with sprites etc. I also need to get up to 20 OM posts.
A great way to rake up posts is to contribute to the myriad of Pet Mods that are currently running. OptiMons and Battle Ready! are two in particular which would love support atm.

I kind of want to make a meta that takes 7th gen makes it feel more like 4th gen but adds more to it.

Megas have the same stats as there normal form
Turning mega recovers 10%HP

Blizzard: base power 110 > 120
Fire Blast: base power 110 > 120
Thunder: base power 110 > 120
Hurricane: base power 110 > 120
Hydro Pump: base power 110 > 120
Flamethrower: base power 90 > 95
Energy Ball: base power 90 > 95
Ice Beam: base power 90 > 95
Thunderbolt: base power 90 > 95
Surf: base power 90 > 95
Muddy Water: base power 90 > 95
Knock Off: base power 65> 40
Phantom Force: one turn move
Razor Wind: Flying type, one turn move
Meditate: Raises special attack, speed and accuracy by 1

Rotom: 50/50/77/95/77/91 > 50/65/107/105/107/86
Kyurem-Black: 125/170/100/120/90/95 > 125/130/90/130/90/95
Kyurem-White: 125/120/90/170/100/95 > 125/130/90/130/90/95
Medicham: 60/60/75/60/75/80 > 60/85/75/85/75/80
Audino: 103/60/86/60/86/50 > 103/60/126/80/126/50
Banette: 64/115/65/83/63/65 > 64/125/75/93/83/75
Absol: 65/130/60/75/60/75 > 65/130/60/115/70/115
Glalie: 80/80/80/80/80/80 > 80/100/80/80/80/100
Froslass: 70/80/70/80/70/110 > 70/80/70/100/90/110
Pidgeot: 83/80/75/70/70/101 > 83/90/75/90/70/121
Manectric: 70/75/60/105/60/105 > 70/75/60/115/60/135
Flygon: 80/100/80/80/80/100 > 80/110/80/100/80/110
Arbok: 60/95/69/65/79/80 > 80/115/99/65/89/90

Hoopa-Unbound: Magician > Defeatist
Tapu Bulu: Grassy Surge > Regenerator
Tapu Fini: Misty Surge > Natural Cure
Tapu Koko: Electric Surge > Insomnia
Tapu Lele: Psychic Surge > Dazzling
Medicham: Pure Power > Frisk
Audino-Mega: Healer > Fairy Aura
Houndoom: Solar Power > Stakeout
Blaziken: Speed Boost > Rattled
Blaziken-Mega: Speed Boost > Moxie
Lapras: Hydration > No Guard
Oranguru: Telepathy > Psychic Terran
Electrode: Static > Electric Terran
Ampharos-Mega: Mold Breaker > Fluffy

Absol-Mega: Dark > Dark/Fairy
Banette-Mega: Ghost > Ghost/Dark
Glalie-Mega: Ice > Ice/Steel
Cofagrigus: Ghost > Ghost/Steel
Garbodor: Poison > Poison/Steel

Aerodactyl: Brave Bird, Head Smash
Rhyperior: Accelerock, Wild Charge
Electivire: Plasma Fists
Lapras: Recover, Calm Mind
Bastiodon: King's Shield, Gyro Ball, Head Smash, Swords Dance
Cofagrigus: Ancient Power, Power Gem, Rock Slide, Rock Tomb, Flash Cannon, Gyro Ball, Smart Strike

Extrabilities

In USUM, Rockruff became the first and only pokemon to have four abilities. However, what if that was not the case? What if it was not singled out like that and others got to share this opportunity? Are you tired of the Bronzor-line being the only one that gets to choose whether or not it wants to levitate? Do you find it dull that certain mon don’t get to choose their ability at all and are only stuck with one? Is the fact that some mon only have one ability that is worth using something that makes things boring and predictable? DO you wish that an unviable mon had another ability option to give it the chance to shine? If so, maybe this is the Pet Mod for you!

Premise: All pokemon are given extra abilities until they each have four.

This is decided by slate, to ensure that the community weighs in on their thoughts as to what options make sense.

Flavour justification is required, but competitive nature should be considered to prevent the new ability from being completely outclassed by the old ones and thus never seen, or, in the case of mon already used in OU or Ubers, to prevent the new ability from outclassing the old ability so much that the old one falls out of use completely. We are trying to add more variety to the metagame and not take the variety away.

Megas still only have one ability. Their base forms are the ones that get to experiment with new abilities and that should be enough.

Despite Ash-Greninja effectively being a different mon from standard Greninja, Battle Bond is still treated as Greninja’s third ability, so it only gets one extra. Its prevos get two extra though.

Custom Abilities are allowed if they are clones of exiting abilities or call a status move upon entry. Again, remember the competitive effect of new abilities to prevent anything that really should be banned from being created, but feel free to introduce abilities that shake up the metagame.

Here's an idea I've been tooling around with for a little while: typed damage for everything.

The premise is this: You know how Stealth Rock does Rock-type damage? What if everything like that did typed damage? Burns dealing Fire-type damage, Hail dealing Ice-type damage, Spikes dealing Ground-type damage, the list goes on. I think it would certainly make people think about hazards and status effects more rather than just spraying them around with gay abandon.

Here is a full list of changes:-

Burn: Fire-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Paralysis: Electric-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Sleep: Psychic-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Poison: Poison-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn
Freeze: Ice-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Bad Poison: Poison-type damage, stacking 1/16th max HP per turn
Leech Seed: Grass-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn, heals user for amount of damage dealt
Flinch: Dark-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn
Confusion: Psychic-type damage, as normally calculated
Binding: Deals damage according to the type of the move used, 1/8th max HP per turn, increased to 1/6th max HP if user is holding a Binding Band
Can't Escape: Deals damage according to the type of the move used, 1/16th max HP per turn
Fairy Lock: Fairy-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn
Curse: Ghost-type damage, 1/4th max HP per turn, cannot KO
Embargo: Dark-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Encore: Normal-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Heal Block: Psychic-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Identified: Psychic-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Infatuation: Fairy-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Nightmare: Dark-type damage, 1/4th max HP per turn, only affects Sleeping targets
Taunt: Dark-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Telekinesis: Psychic-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn
Torment: Dark-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn
Spikes: Ground-type damage, 1/8th max HP upon entry, increased to 1/6th max HP if two layers are active and 1/4th max HP if 3 layers are active.
Toxic Spikes: Poison-type damage, 1/16th max HP and inflicts Poison upon entry, increased to 1/8th max HP and inflicts Bad Poison if two layers are active
Sticky Web: Bug-type damage, -1 Speed stage upon entry, 1/16th max HP per turn
Harsh Sunlight: Fire-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Extremely Harsh Sunlight: Fire-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn, all, all Pokémon on field
Rain: Water-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Heavy Rain: Water-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Sandstorm: Rock-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Hail/Diamond Dust: Ice-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Mysterious Air Current: Flying-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Misty Terrain: Fairy-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Fairy-types immune
Grassy Terrain: Grass-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Grass-types immune
Electric Terrain: Electric-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Electric-types immune
Psychic Terrain: Psychic-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Psychic-types immune

Thoughts?

Last edited:

G-Luke

I kind of want to see what it would be like if the "Pokemon" used in the Pokestar studio became actually Pokemon.
Pokestar Humanoid
Normal/Ghost
Insomnia
70/115/120/90/70/65 [BST 530]

Movepool:
Scratch
Shadow Claw
Acid
Dark Pulse
Slash
Shadow Claw
Night Slash
Double-Edge
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Explosion
Self Destruct
Shadow Sneak
Shadow Ball
Knock Off
Nasty Plot
Return
Psychic
Psycho Cut
Trick
Hyper Voice
Pain Split
Just letting you know, I'm totally behind this Pet Mod premise

Here's an idea I've been tooling around with for a little while: typed damage for everything.

The premise is this: You know how Stealth Rock does Rock-type damage? What if everything like that did typed damage? Burns dealing Fire-type damage, Hail dealing Ice-type damage, Spikes dealing Ground-type damage, the list goes on. I think it would certainly make people think about hazards and status effects more rather than just spraying them around with gay abandon.

Leech Seed: Grass-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn, heals user for amount of damage dealt
Binding: Deals damage according to the type of the move used, 1/8th max HP per turn, increased to 1/6th max HP if user is holding a Binding Band
Can't Escape: Deals damage according to the type of the move used, 1/16th max HP per turn
Nightmare: Dark-type damage, 1/4th max HP per turn, only affects Sleeping targets
Spikes: Ground-type damage, 1/8th max HP upon entry, increased to 1/6th max HP if two layers are active and 1/4th max HP if 3 layers are active.
Toxic Spikes: Poison-type damage, 1/16th max HP and inflicts Poison upon entry, increased to 1/8th max HP and inflicts Bad Poison if two layers are active
Extremely Harsh Sunlight: Fire-type damage, 1/8th max HP per turn, all, all Pokémon on field
Hail/Diamond Dust: Ice-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Mysterious Air Current: Flying-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all Pokémon on field
Misty Terrain: Fairy-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Fairy-types immune
Grassy Terrain: Grass-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Grass-types immune
Electric Terrain: Electric-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Electric-types immune
Psychic Terrain: Psychic-type damage, 1/16th max HP per turn, all grounded Pokémon, Psychic-types immune

Thoughts?
Spreading that effect beyond just Stealth Rock is something I'm totally up for.

Thoughts?
Looks pretty interesting.

I recently had a brainstorm for something when looking at Slowbro's design. I felt that the colours looked off for something regarded as Water/Psychic, and felt Rock/Psychic might have done a better job at representing how it looked. So, without further ado, I announce:

Glimmer

The idea for this pet mod is that each Shiny variant of an evolutionary line has their movepool, typing and stat distribution edited to better fit their rare design. For example:
Shiny Slowpoke
Typing: Water/Psychic
Stat spread: 90/65/65/40/40/15
Lore: This rare variant of Slowpoke loves to hang out in rocky outcrops. It bashes its tail on these rocks to harden it up.
Viability: Nothing much changes for Shiny Slowpoke.

Shiny Slowbro
Typing: Water/Psychic -> Rock/Psychic
Stat spread: 95/100/110/75/80/30 (inverted Attack and Special Attack)
Signature move: Shell Spear | Rock | 15 PP | 80 BP | 95 Acc | Slowbro thrusts its tail into its opponent, lowering its defense by 1 stage. | | Obtained by: Evolution
Lore: The water in Slowpoke's body dries up from the rocks. The outcrops start sticking to its tail, creating a long, Shellder-like spear that Slowbro can use to its advantage.
Viability: Slowbro now becomes a much stronger offensive pivot with the likes of Shell Spear, lowering the opponent's Defense stat for another check to come in and take advantage of. It also has Curse ready incase you desire setup.

Shiny Slowking
Typing: Water/Psychic -> Poison/Psychic
Stat spread: 95/65/70/110/120/30 (10 Phys stats moved into Spec stats)
Signature move: King's Demise | Poison | 5 PP | 120 BP | 90 Acc | The gem on Slowking's head glows a bright purple, calling for an venomous attack. | Used turn 1, strikes on turn 3. Inflicts the opponent with poison. | Obtained by: Evolution
Lore: Whacking its tail on the outcrops made Slowpoke vulnerable to infections. From this, the King's Rock that it evolved from became infected, effectively brainwashing Slowpoke from doing anything that it would do independently.
Viability: Slowking now becomes more effective as a distruptor due to King's Demise poisoning opponents if they are hit by the move.

Questions for the community:
Should Shiny Pokemon's movepools be changed on evolution to fit the new Shiny look of a Pokemon?
How would the metagame be balanced, and what criteria would Shiny Pokemon have to fulfill to be accepted?
Should Pokemon be edited to become OU-based? Mod is based on flavour, no need for a mon to be a set tier
Should this look at individual Pokemon instead of evolutionary lines?

Last edited:

G-Luke

I recently had a brainstorm for something when looking at Slowbro's design. I felt that the colours looked off for something regarded as Water/Psychic, and felt Rock/Psychic might have done a better job at representing how it looked. So, without further ado, I announce:

Glimmer

The idea for this pet mod is that each Shiny variant of an evolutionary line has their movepool, typing and stat distribution edited to better fit their rare design. For example:
Shiny Slowpoke
Typing: Water/Psychic
Stat spread: 90/65/65/40/40/15
Lore: This rare variant of Slowpoke loves to hang out in rocky outcrops. It bashes its tail on these rocks to harden it up.
Viability: Nothing much changes for Shiny Slowpoke.

Shiny Slowbro
Typing: Water/Psychic -> Rock/Psychic
Stat spread: 95/100/110/75/80/30 (inverted Attack and Special Attack)
Signature move: Shell Spear | Rock | 15 PP | 80 BP | 95 Acc | Slowbro thrusts its tail into its opponent, lowering its defense by 1 stage. | | Obtained by: Evolution
Lore: The water in Slowpoke's body dries up from the rocks. The outcrops start sticking to its tail, creating a long, Shellder-like spear that Slowbro can use to its advantage.
Viability: Slowbro now becomes a much stronger offensive pivot with the likes of Shell Spear, lowering the opponent's Defense stat for another check to come in and take advantage of. It also has Curse ready incase you desire setup.

Shiny Slowking
Typing: Water/Psychic -> Poison/Psychic
Stat spread: 95/65/70/110/120/30 (10 Phys stats moved into Spec stats)
Signature move: King's Demise | Poison | 5 PP | 120 BP | 90 Acc | The gem on Slowking's head glows a bright purple, calling for an venomous attack. | Used turn 1, strikes on turn 3. Inflicts the opponent with poison. | Obtained by: Evolution
Lore: Whacking its tail on the outcrops made Slowpoke vulnerable to infections. From this, the King's Rock that it evolved from became infected, effectively brainwashing Slowpoke from doing anything that it would do independently.
Viability: Slowking now becomes more effective as a distruptor due to King's Demise poisoning opponents if they are hit by the move.

Questions for the community:
Should Shiny Pokemon's movepools be changed on evolution to fit the new Shiny look of a Pokemon?
How would the metagame be balanced, and what criteria would Shiny Pokemon have to fulfill to be accepted?
Should Pokemon be edited to become OU-based?
Should this look at individual Pokemon instead of evolutionary lines?
Seems neat. And to answer one of your questions, I definitely don't think they need to be OU based. Not alot of purely flavour based Pet Mods (Alola Forms alome comes to mind).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)