Pet Mods General Discussion Thread

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
They'd have to go through OM submissions again, the same as any other pet mod/other metagame brought over.
Welp. Submitted but...
"– Users can submit one new metagame or pet mod per month regardless if the submission is approved or rejected.
– Users may not host more than 2 metagames at one time. This rule exists to ensure metagame hosts are active and engaged with their community."

Someone submit Pokemon Minus I swear I'll help and be part of the council.

Unbound-giving all pokemon a unbound form with a signature form that only that form can use as well as it making it ou viable... (wait whats that hoopa-u is not ou anymore well that's fine we will still do ou)

Shadow mons: making "perfect" shadow forms of pokemon like lugia in gale of darkness giving it unique shadow moves as well.

Primal Clash: Like in Mix ‘n Mega, any mon can hold and benefit from the Blue and Red orbs. However, orbs are also created for each other type. Each orb grants + 30 in your highest (non-HP) stat, + 20 in your second highest stat and + 50 in your third highest stat, with ties being decided like Beast Boost. Each orb also grants/changes a secondary type (unless your priary type is the same) and an ability that summons a Primal Weather or Primal Terrain. Primal Weathers can only be removed by Primal Weathers/switching out and Primal Terrains can only be removed by Primal Terrains/switching out. Primal Weathers and Primal Terrains create/call certain field effects and block moves of a specific type.

Preliminary list of orbs:

Fire: Red Orb. Desolate Land

Water: Blue Orb. Primordial Sea

Flying: Green Orb. Delta Stream.

Rock: Brown Orb. Ancient Stone: Sets Stealth Rock and Sandstorm. Sandstorm only removable by Primal Weather. Grass moves fail s sand tears the moves apart and blocks them.

Electric: Yellow Orb. Titan Storm. Sets Electric Terrain that is only removable by Primal Terrain. Ground attacks are vapourised.

Grass: Turquoise Orb. Wild Woods. Sets Grassy Terrain that is only removable by Primal Terrain. Blocks Steel attacks to prevent encroachment of civilisation.

Psychic: Violet Orb. Mind Tempest. Sets Psychic Terrain that can only be removed by Primal Terrain. Fighting attacks are disabled.

Poison: Purple Orb. Noxious Wastes. Sets a swamp only removable by Primal Terrain and two layers of toxic spikes. Fairy attacks wither away.

Ground: Beige Orb. Endless Sands. Sets Sandstorm and Sand Tomb. Sandstorm only removable by Primal Weather. Water moves dry up.

Bug: Compound Orb. Consuming Hive. Sets Sticky Web and Infestation. Grass moves are eaten up.

Normal: Colorless Orb. Promised Limelight. Sets Rainbow Sky only removable by Primal Terrain. Fighting moves fail due to distraction.

Ghost: Grey Orb. Haunted Catacombs. Curses and torments opponent without cutting user’s HP. Psychic attacks fail due to distraction.

Fighting: Brass Orb. Gladiator Ring. Applies Odor Sleuth only removable by Primal Terrain. Psychic attacks fail.

Steel: Silver Orb. Iron Age Battlefield. Sets three layers of Spikes. Clears Stealth Rocks and blocks Rock attacks.

Ice: White Orb. Sets Hail and Aurora Veil. Hail damage is doubled. Fire attacks fail.

Dragon: Golden Orb. Ancient Hoard. Calls Will-o-Wisp. Sets Magic Room only removable by Primal Terrain. Fairy moves fail.

Dark: Black Orb. Shadowy Chasm. Dark Aura. All are Taunted and Tormented. Only removable by Primal Terrain. Fighting moves fail.

Fairy: Pink Orb. Fairy Aura and Misty Terrain only removable by Primal Terrain. Dark moves fail.

Questions: Any obvious Orbs that need to be changed?

Should it just be slate based, or should orbs have the effects listed unless it becomes clear some need changing?

OU based or Ubers, like MixnMega?

Anything need obvious banning?

Does it look fun, easy to code, like something you'd play?

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Primal Clash: Like in Mix ‘n Mega, any mon can hold and benefit from the Blue and Red orbs. However, orbs are also created for each other type. Each orb grants + 30 in your highest (non-HP) stat, + 20 in your second highest stat and + 50 in your third highest stat, with ties being decided like Beast Boost. Each orb also grants/changes a secondary type (unless your priary type is the same) and an ability that summons a Primal Weather or Primal Terrain. Primal Weathers can only be removed by Primal Weathers/switching out and Primal Terrains can only be removed by Primal Terrains/switching out. Primal Weathers and Primal Terrains create/call certain field effects and block moves of a specific type.

Rock: Brown Orb. Ancient Stone: Sets Stealth Rock and Sandstorm. Sandstorm only removable by Primal Weather. Grass moves fail s sand tears the moves apart and blocks them.

Electric: Yellow Orb. Titan Storm. Sets Electric Terrain that is only removable by Primal Terrain. Ground attacks are vapourised.

Grass: Turquoise Orb. Wild Woods. Sets Grassy Terrain that is only removable by Primal Terrain. Blocks Steel attacks to prevent encroachment of civilisation.

Psychic: Violet Orb. Mind Tempest. Sets Psychic Terrain that can only be removed by Primal Terrain. Fighting attacks are disabled.

Poison: Purple Orb. Noxious Wastes. Sets a swamp only removable by Primal Terrain and two layers of spikes. Fairy attacks wither away.

Ground: Beige Orb. Endless Sands. Sets Sandstorm and Sand Tomb. Sandstorm only removable by Primal Weather. Water moves dry up.

Bug: Compound Orb. Consuming Hive. Sets Sticky Web and Infestation. Grass moves are eaten up.

Normal: Colorless Orb. Promised Limelight. Sets Rainbow Sky only removable by Primal Terrain. Fighting moves fail due to distraction.

Ghost: Grey Orb. Haunted Catacombs. Curses and torments opponent without cutting user’s HP. Psychic attacks fail due to distraction.

Fighting: Brass Orb. Gladiator Ring. Applies Odor Sleuth only removable by Primal Terrain. Psychic attacks fail.

Steel: Silver Orb. Iron Age Battlefield. Sets three layers of Spikes. Clears Stealth Rocks and blocks Rock attacks.

Ice: White Orb. Sets Hail and Aurora Veil. Hail damage is doubled. Fire attacks fail.

Dragon: Golden Orb. Ancient Hoard. Calls Will-o-Wisp. Sets Magic Room only removable by Primal Terrain. Fairy moves fail.

Dark: Black Orb. Shadowy Chasm. Dark Aura. All are Taunted and Tormented. Only removable by Primal Terrain. Fighting moves fail.

Fairy: Pink Orb. Fairy Aura and Misty Terrain only removable by Primal Terrain. Dark moves fail.

Should it just be slate based, or should orbs have the effects listed unless it becomes clear some need changing?

Fighting seems really underpowered.
Outside of that, this pet mods seems really interesting! It's cool to see more competitive oriented mods.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Sounds pretty cool, but the effects could be chosen by submissions like suggested.

Either way, here are some things that sound cool (Gems being used to represent the Orbs):

New Type: Fairy / Steel
New Stats: 95 | 70 | 123 | 125 | 110 | 60
Say hello to your new Bulk God.

New Type: Grass / Dark
New Stats: 59 | 211 | 151 | 59 | 31 | 159
Talk about Glass Cannon. Oh, wait, 151 Defense? Yeah, that's not so much of Glass... Dark used for Kncok Off, another option is Fighting for Sacred Sword

New Type: Ground / Rock
New Stats: 89 | 175 | 90 | 125 | 80 | 141
Yeah, Ground / Rock is bad defensively, but if the Orb stays as it is, you get a permanent 1.5x boost to your Sp. Def and will be immune to Grass-Types. You gain STAB on EdgeQuake combo as well.

New Type: Dragon / Steel
New Stats: 125 | 160 | 90 | 150 | 90 | 145

Things that probably should be banned from holding Orbs (The orbs used are just examples, focus more on the Base Stats):

New Type: Psychic / Dark
New Stats: 80 | 180 | 60 | 200 | 180 | 80
You can also run Ice for that sweet permanent Aurora Veil.

New Type: Normal / Ghost
New Stats: 110 | 190 | 130 | 80 | 160 | 100

New Type: Normal / Fighting
New Stats: 150 | 190 | 130 | 95 | 65 | 150

New Stats: 125 | 200 | 150 | 140 | 90 | 95

(Archeops is still kinda held back by it's poor bulk. New stats would be 75 | 170 | 65 | 132 | 65 | 160. Could use Psychic for Priority Imunity)

If anyone still willing to discuss, here's the template I used:
Code:
[IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/pokemon.gif[/IMG][IMG]https://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/pgl/typegem.png[/IMG]
[B]New Type:[/B]
[B]New Stats:[/B]

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone

Poison: Purple Orb. Noxious Wastes. Sets a swamp only removable by Primal Terrain and two layers of toxic spikes. Fairy attacks wither away.

I suggest reading the Primal De-Evolution thread from Gen 6 which is basically the same thing.
As for your ideas, Mix-n-Mega is cool and all, but allowing every mon of every type to hold every Orb creates an ENTIRE different meta than simply making more Orbs that have type-restrictions. It would be like having Mix-n-Mega without first having Megastones restricted to the species. You could make a Primal Clash + Mix'n'Mega side-tournament when the Pet Mod is coded, but having that as the main thing seems weird. It would be as if all Pokemon could have all type terrains in All type Terrain, you know what I mean?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I honestly think something needs to be done about the plethora of inactive pet mods. It's stunning how many of them haven't gotten a single post on their forum in months. Their owners don't seem to care about them either. Anyone got ideas?

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
I honestly think something needs to be done about the plethora of inactive pet mods. It's stunning how many of them haven't gotten a single post on their forum in months. Their owners don't seem to care about them either. Anyone got ideas?
I remember that back when the creator of Alola Forms could no longer take care of the mod (I don't quite remember if they just didn't have interest in the mod anymore of if left smogon in general), a new council was created. Maybe those mods could have a simillar treatment if the problem is the owner?

However, let's also take this time to discuss what to do with mods that the community itself doesn't submit and end up letting the mods die.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I remember that back when the creator of Alola Forms could no longer take care of the mod (I don't quite remember if they just didn't have interest in the mod anymore of if left smogon in general), a new council was created. Maybe those mods could have a simillar treatment if the problem is the owner?

However, let's also take this time to discuss what to do with mods that the community itself doesn't submit and end up letting the mods die.
imo, this is what should happen

-If a mod/council owning a pet mod decides to quit for whatever reason, a new council/mod will be elected. If they simply abandon the mod with no explanation, then the players should get a pet mods forum owner to forcibly seize control and give it to someone else who actually cares about running it. In an extreme situation where the mod goes through multiple owners, each incompetent and failing to keep the community engaged, the mod should be looked at and considered for removal/deletion.

-If the playerbase is not participating despite the owner actually trying, then someone should do a survey or something to see if there's any interest left, and look into a possible removal. Not before trying to get players back in tho

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
I'm not sure if removing it entirely is even agood thing - There are already just a few mods, and the community is way smaller than OMs, which can be an issue when some mods depend on the community submitting. It would also mean that all the effort of being approved and all the submissions would be just a complete waste of time if they were to be deleted Hopefully PMGS can help some of these to gain popularity. But until then, what to do with these? Just let the thread be untouched?

Imo we could try to have some sort of thread specified to this, as it is not only something that can occour rather often but is also a problem. Just a thread with people willing to help Pet Mods who are dying, and try to get a bigger ammount of people into submitting, yknow.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Any thoughts on converting Accessories from last Gen to a Pet Mod? U would probs need permission from EV but I am sure he wouldn't mind. For those unfamiliar with it, here is the link. Seeing that it was an OM last time, it could not really branch out, but being up for a Pet Mod status opens up much more possibilities. It obviously would be a competitive Pet Mod, (and therefore not need as much maintainance).

If interested, some points I'd like to see discussed are things like an Accessory clause, the option of gaining moves from the typing, the typing issue that I don't think was solved last gen and how balanced this could be.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Any thoughts on converting Accessories from last Gen to a Pet Mod? U would probs need permission from EV but I am sure he wouldn't mind. For those unfamiliar with it, here is the link. Seeing that it was an OM last time, it could not really branch out, but being up for a Pet Mod status opens up much more possibilities. It obviously would be a competitive Pet Mod, (and therefore not need as much maintainance).

If interested, some points I'd like to see discussed are things like an Accessory clause, the option of gaining moves from the typing, the typing issue that I don't think was solved last gen and how balanced this could be.
oh my god, that om looks sick, why was it canned anyway

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

That would work amazingly as a Pet Mod. Although it could cause a few unbalances in game. Although it should really be brought back as OM or Pet Mod. Pet Mod would give many more items with different stats and things. OM would be less difficult to code and keep some sort of balance. I like both, and am surprised it's not been resubmitted yet

G-Luke

That would work amazingly as a Pet Mod. Although it could cause a few unbalances in game. Although it should really be brought back as OM or Pet Mod. Pet Mod would give many more items with different stats and things. OM would be less difficult to code and keep some sort of balance. I like both, and am surprised it's not been resubmitted yet
Coding is a non issue, as all of that has been handled last Gen. According to The Immortal, the OM pushed too far on the Pet Mod side and probably would not be accepted as an OM (its important note that several similar OMs have tried to be approved and have met with failure, and none adjust stats like how Accessorize! does. I think it should instead be resubmitted as a Pet Mod, and instead of dancing on the thin line that separates the two, fully indulge in the freedoms that Pet Mod status would grant it. I understand EV if you wanted this to get OM exposure. But I don't thats possible and that Accessorize! at least deserves to exist in a different medium.

Sounds pretty cool, but the effects could be chosen by submissions like suggested.

Either way, here are some things that sound cool (Gems being used to represent the Orbs):

New Type: Fairy / Steel
New Stats: 95 | 70 | 123 | 125 | 110 | 60
Say hello to your new Bulk God.

New Type: Grass / Dark
New Stats: 59 | 211 | 151 | 59 | 31 | 159
Talk about Glass Cannon. Oh, wait, 151 Defense? Yeah, that's not so much of Glass... Dark used for Kncok Off, another option is Fighting for Sacred Sword

New Type: Ground / Rock
New Stats: 89 | 175 | 90 | 125 | 80 | 141
Yeah, Ground / Rock is bad defensively, but if the Orb stays as it is, you get a permanent 1.5x boost to your Sp. Def and will be immune to Grass-Types. You gain STAB on EdgeQuake combo as well.

New Stats: 125 | 160 | 90 | 150 | 90 | 145

Things that probably should be banned from holding Orbs (The orbs used are just examples, focus more on the Base Stats):

New Type: Psychic / Dark
New Stats: 80 | 180 | 60 | 200 | 180 | 80
You can also run Ice for that sweet permanent Aurora Veil.

New Type: Normal / Ghost
New Stats: 110 | 190 | 130 | 80 | 160 | 100

New Type: Normal / Fighting
New Stats: 150 | 190 | 130 | 95 | 65 | 150

New Stats: 125 | 200 | 150 | 140 | 90 | 95

(Archeops is still kinda held back by it's poor bulk. New stats would be 75 | 170 | 65 | 132 | 65 | 160. Could use Psychic for Priority Imunity)

If anyone still willing to discuss, here's the template I used:
Code:
[IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/pokemon.gif[/IMG][IMG]https://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/pgl/typegem.png[/IMG]
[B]New Type:
New Stats:[/B]
Thank you. Excellent points.
I suggest reading the Primal De-Evolution thread from Gen 6 which is basically the same thing.
As for your ideas, Mix-n-Mega is cool and all, but allowing every mon of every type to hold every Orb creates an ENTIRE different meta than simply making more Orbs that have type-restrictions. It would be like having Mix-n-Mega without first having Megastones restricted to the species. You could make a Primal Clash + Mix'n'Mega side-tournament when the Pet Mod is coded, but having that as the main thing seems weird. It would be as if all Pokemon could have all type terrains in All type Terrain, you know what I mean?
I remember that. It was one of the inspirations. I disliked the rigidity of it though. In a way, the mixing up of orbs was part of the point.

(Sorry about late response. Poor internet access right now)

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
Correct me if I got anything wrong, but I suppose we can share our Pet Mods ideas here too, if I got everything correctly from the OP. If that's the case, than here's my Mod idea:

Pledge Power

Pet Mod Premisse: Doubles based meta. Certain moves will have an aditional effect when used together, much like the Elemental Pledges. One of the moves will also recieve a power boost (No more than 150 BP allowed) in the turn the combo is used.

Examples: Grass + Fire Pledge, when used together in a doubles battle, leave the Sea of Fire effect on the foe's team, damaging them for 1/8 of their HP each turn, and Fire Pledge gains a power boost (80 BP to 150 BP).

Aditional Changes: The first move no longer has to wait to attack. (How it works in Vanilla is that if two pledges moves are used in a doubles battle, one of them won't work and the other will attack. This is what I intent to change here as well, so that the moves are a bit more viable)

Questions for the community:

- Does the idea sound nice?

- Would you submit if it was a thing?

- Most important of all, can this even be coded for a second effect to activate after two specific moves are used by mons on the same team?

G-Luke

Correct me if I got anything wrong, but I suppose we can share our Pet Mods ideas here too, if I got everything correctly from the OP. If that's the case, than here's my Mod idea:

Pledge Power

Pet Mod Premisse: Doubles based meta. Certain moves will have an aditional effect when used together, much like the Elemental Pledges. One of the moves will also recieve a power boost (No more than 150 BP allowed) in the turn the combo is used.

Examples: Grass + Fire Pledge, when used together in a doubles battle, leave the Sea of Fire effect on the foe's team, damaging them for 1/8 of their HP each turn, and Fire Pledge gains a power boost (80 BP to 150 BP).

Aditional Changes: The first move no longer has to wait to attack. (How it works in Vanilla is that if two pledges moves are used in a doubles battle, one of them won't work and the other will attack. This is what I intent to change here as well, so that the moves are a bit more viable)

Questions for the community:

- Does the idea sound nice?

- Would you submit if it was a thing?

- Most important of all, can this even be coded for a second effect to activate after two specific moves are used by mons on the same team?
If your gonna do it, I'd suggest you do it as moves of two different types interact instead of random moves. That already has a ton of possible combos and is probs easier to remember than what random moves paired do

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
If your gonna do it, I'd suggest you do it as moves of two different types interact instead of random moves. That already has a ton of possible combos and is probs easier to remember than what random moves paired do
Note taken. Pet Mods are sumnited in the same subforum as OMs, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)