Other OverUsed General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've honestly not have had many problems with Mega Pinsir. When I'm building a new team, I very often find myself in the end carrying multiple Pinsir-checks as a matter of course. (Lucario on the other hand...)

Also as a note, Pinsir actually can't lure Rotom-W with Mold Breaker EQ, because the game reveals it.

Last edited:
I wonder if in Gen VI we are getting the return of Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Trick Room or even Gravity, amiong other gimmicky starategies like the new terrain moves*, which got use in 4th gen but little to none in Gen V. Gen IV has a greater use of gimmicky strategies that in some cases were standard.
* Aboiut the new terrain moves
Electric terrain. TRhe pokemon can't sleep and they wake up if they're sleeping and Electric are powered up to 50%. Manectric and Mgnezone are the most interesting pokemon.
Grass Terrain. The pokemon recover 1/16 each turn. Power up the moves by 50% Learned By Roserade, Florges, Tangrowth and Venusaur among others.
Misty Terrain. The pokemon can't get status conditions or confusion (but it won't be cured) and Dragon attacks are weakened by 50%. It's learned by Gardevoir, Florges and Sylveon.
The effects only happened when the pokemon is oin the ground (in other words, Flying and Letvitate pokemon are unaffected).
Create a tem based on it is unviable but using Electric anmd Grass pokemon that abuse it with a good teammate and using Misty terrain to protect the team from status and protect the rest of the team of Dragon attacks (specially Draco Meteor), for few turns is good.

Other thing is the increase of Rock weak pokemon this gen and the fact that having rock pokemon don't heavily hinder your team. Talonflame, Volcarona, MPinsir, Charizard. Appears that the Stealth Rocks are not that important to the metagame as there were in the past. And the rest of the hazards are seen ocassionally. And other things: 90%+ of the timer that SR is oin, is pout mid-battle. Leads that put SR like in Gen IV are rare (SRE was that prevalent in that gen that people were start to discuss the unabnning of Ho-oh; HGSS and Brave Bird stop it).

Last edited:
I agree with the Gen IV comment. My most successful team at that time was a Rain Dance, back when it was considered kind of a gimmick. It was always fun sweeping opponents with UU Pokemon such as Kabutops. Yes, kiddies, weather was viable before your newfangled "Drizzle Politoed" and "Drought Ninetales", and it will be viable afterwards.

Misty Terrain sounds interesting, but does it increase your team's resistance, or cut the damage of the opponent? I'm asking because of all the Flying/Levitating Dragons (Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, Hydreigon, Lati@s)

I agree with the Gen IV comment. My most successful team at that time was a Rain Dance, back when it was considered kind of a gimmick. It was always fun sweeping opponents with UU Pokemon such as Kabutops. Yes, kiddies, weather was viable before your newfangled "Drizzle Politoed" and "Drought Ninetales", and it will be viable afterwards.

Misty Terrain sounds interesting, but does it increase your team's resistance, or cut the damage of the opponent? I'm asking because of all the Flying/Levitating Dragons (Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, Hydreigon, Lati@s)
Terrain moves are to increase resistances, as apparently GF create this things to buff grounded pokemons.

While being in the sky is just slightly strong in singles, Earth immunity is actually very important in doubles due to the EQ spam.

Btw, I am not quite optimal about the terrains in singles just because how offensive the meta is and how crucial the momentums are. It is quite an irony how the doubles are in fact less offensive. The decrease in viablity of weather casting and other "gimmick strategies" as mentioned by Eievui-Nymphia actually falls under the same reason.

It would work for some weaker users but Conk and Bisharp come to mind as main users and they are really hard hitters so you still take about 40%. Bisharp can finish you off with sucker punch if you've taken prior damage or just predict the switch and Iron Head.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 121-142 (37.4 - 43.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 99-117 (30.6 - 36.2%)

Assuming the only thing Terrakion comes in on is Knock off (and nothing else):

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 81-95 (25 - 29.4%)

Second switch in and you're risking Sucker Punch range, and guaranteed it with SR on your side.

Conk can take a CC then drain punch you for the OHKO, or mach punch with prior damage.
+1 252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 306-360 (73.9 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Maybe a lot of this is obvious but yeah ~_~

My main gripe is that even when you expect knock off it's "If I'm right I lose my item and if I'm wrong I lose my pokemon"
Agree, I actually think the 50% bonus damage is completely excessive because 65 BP is already dealing some solid damage.

I play Doubles, and often use a Gravity team to get around that pesky Ground immunity. Of course, that also increases accuracy of all moves (except OHKOs), so consider Gravity as something other than just a Ground buff. I wish there was a "Gravity Rock" like the Damp Rock. . .

Smogon doubles on Showdown seems to lean more towards bulky Pokemon than the more VGC-esque format I find on random Wifi.

It's kind of weird that most teams I see when watching OU matches (I think I'm a spectator more than a player in OU; I prefer non-standard stuff) use non-themed teams (or "goodstuff"). Hardly anyone seems to use weather, and if my 4th gen experience is any indication, weather shouldn't be overlooked just because it's temporary.

I play Doubles, and often use a Gravity team to get around that pesky Ground immunity. Of course, that also increases accuracy of all moves (except OHKOs), so consider Gravity as something other than just a Ground buff. I wish there was a "Gravity Rock" like the Damp Rock. . .

Smogon doubles on Showdown seems to lean more towards bulky Pokemon than the more VGC-esque format I find on random Wifi.

It's kind of weird that most teams I see when watching OU matches (I think I'm a spectator more than a player in OU; I prefer non-standard stuff) use non-themed teams (or "goodstuff"). Hardly anyone seems to use weather, and if my 4th gen experience is any indication, weather shouldn't be overlooked just because it's temporary.
The meta was way less offensive back in 4th gen, when Skamory still manage to wall the majority of the phyiscal meta. And hell, we now call something a counter when it bearly survives a 2HKO.

Also, themed teams generally means set up, which is unwelcomed when you are supposed to die on 3 hits what so ever.

I feel as though all of the terrain moves aside from Sand Stream/Drought/Drizzle will be particularly gimmicky until a Pokémon gets an auto-terrain Ability. You could even give them to Pokémon who aren't particularly viable in OU such as Swirlix with Misty Terrain or Meganium with Grassy Terrain. That seems like it would be pretty neat.

adman2 said:
Hardly anyone seems to use weather, and if my 4th gen experience is any indication, weather shouldn't be overlooked just because it's temporary.
It seems as though weather has become more of a concentrated strategy for one or two Pokémon as opposed to an entire team in Gen VI, though Pokémon like Charizard seem to benefit ridiculously from it's newly found Drought. I also feel as though now that Defog and Mandibuzz are more common, entry hazards are not as easy to set up or really all that necessary in order to snag KOs with the power creep, as well.

All the pokemon that I posted are OU viable (well, there's Florges, which is a special case) whcih means that you don't have to use gimmicky pokemon. You don't have to use specialized team to use the "terrain moves", basically don't use status moves or Dragon moves if you are using Misty Terrain, don't use sleep moves with Electric Terrain and with Electric and Grass terrain youwant inmmunities (Electric) or heavy resistances (grass; which is done by two of the main setters).

I have a question regarding Mega Lucario. From what i read here in the different topics he seems to be a total monster and powerhouse. He got an S Rank, pretty much undisputed even, and is now subject to a suspect test as well and most ppl seem to expect him to go to ubers when the test is done.
However, from my experience at the wifi ladder as well as on PS he is hardly even a threat at all. Yes at +2 he can 2 hko 90% of the meta but 90% of the meta can 2 hko him back as well. He is just so incredibly frail that i have yet to see one setting up on me without losing 70-80% life in the process. From the top of my head i cant even think of something he could safely set up on. He is weak to 3 very common attacking types and even average neutral (and strong resisted) attacks deal 50+% dmg to him plus he can also be shut down with paralysis and, in case of a SD set, with burn.

I am currently @ 1400 Elo on PS and havent had any trouble with any lucarios so far. Is he only viable @ higher stages of the ladder/requires a high level of skill to be used effectively? Is he weak against certain teams or something? I am using a somewhat balanced/BO team and every single pokemon in the team can easily handle lucario on its own when the switches in. I am realy wondering about that because what i read here doesnt match my experiences at all and i dont know why.

I have a question regarding Mega Lucario. From what i read here in the different topics he seems to be a total monster and powerhouse. He got an S Rank, pretty much undisputed even, and is now subject to a suspect test as well and most ppl seem to expect him to go to ubers when the test is done.
However, from my experience at the wifi ladder as well as on PS he is hardly even a threat at all. Yes at +2 he can 2 hko 90% of the meta but 90% of the meta can 2 hko him back as well. He is just so incredibly frail that i have yet to see one setting up on me without losing 70-80% life in the process. From the top of my head i cant even think of something he could safely set up on. He is weak to 3 very common attacking types and even average neutral (and strong resisted) attacks deal 50+% dmg to him plus he can also be shut down with paralysis and, in case of a SD set, with burn.

I am currently @ 1400 Elo on PS and havent had any trouble with any lucarios so far. Is he only viable @ higher stages of the ladder/requires a high level of skill to be used effectively? Is he weak against certain teams or something? I am using a somewhat balanced/BO team and every single pokemon in the team can easily handle lucario on its own when the switches in. I am realy wondering about that because what i read here doesnt match my experiences at all and i dont know why.
Personal experience is a very tricky beast. Chances are you just happened to make a team of pokemon that can handle Lucario well, I coincidentally did the same thing back when MegaMom was OU. He does take some skill to use, or at least caution, as he is rather frail and will die to Super Effective or stronger STAB hits. I also think that you may not have faced very skilled players with Luke... when something's as hyped as Luke is, people begin to almost expect too much from it and play too recklessly. Again, this was noticeable when the currently banned megas were OU, people would send in their Kangas and Gengars against pokemon that they really shouldn't have. I would suggest you give Luke a try yourself (for many battles- apply scientific method, multiple tests are required!) and see how it does.

Chances are you just happened to make a team of pokemon that can handle Lucario well
Well the thing is that, if i look through the viability ranking thread, i cant find a single pokemon that couldnt deal lots of dmg lucario. I mean even Sylveons hypervoice deals like 70% to it without any Satk investment. The only way i can think off is to bring him in against something that he threatens to ohko and then hope that the opponent will switch out so u get a setup opportunity. I would realy like to know how more experienced players use him, what they setup on etc because i dont realy get it...

Well the thing is that, if i look through the viability ranking thread, i cant find a single pokemon that couldnt deal lots of dmg lucario. I mean even Sylveons hypervoice deals like 70% to it without any Satk investment. The only way i can think off is to bring him in against something that he threatens to ohko and then hope that the opponent will switch out so u get a setup opportunity. I would realy like to know how more experienced players use him, what they setup on etc because i dont realy get it...
Well, the issue here is that you are unlikely to give him the second hit before he swept your entire team after set up, and the difficulty of revenge killing this thing is not by any mean little.

But yes in that case a BB from TF is likely to finish it off, so he will probably not do it, but instead take away like a chunk of health (and possibly OHKO if bullet punch) from your Sylveon on switch and than switch out before it gets revenge kill.

I agree with this. Staraptor is sooo powerful in the bird cores, It dents so many things that it doesn't seem like it would dent for Talonflame to clean up. I have even actually used pinsir in my flying cores to clean up, as pinsir can stay in before evolving after things have been weakened a bunch and quick attack, getting him free moxie boosts before he evolves.

And on pinsir, it is great right now. after 2 boosts it becomes almost unstoppable, one hit ko'ing most of the tier bar skarmory and a few others like rotom-wash. it's quick attack is a great flying type priority to use to clean up. The only reliable check to pinsir i have seen after 2 boosts is talonflame, with it's gale wings ability, and faster electric types (which is only like scarf rotom-wash lol)

Overall, flying types are actually pretty good right now I agree, and Flying type cores are very impressive right now.

An example of how a double bird core works.. I have to admit, after using the core for quite a few games now, I'm fucking impressed by how effective it is.

Notice how Staraptor took care of Heatran, Mandibuzz and Suicune to an extent, while Talonflame took care of the rest.

(disregard the bad turn 1 play, and the fact that my thundy has an even HP, i fixed that :p)
Trying to learn to play double bird core, thanks for the replay! To input my own two-cents: I found that having a wish passer/cleric is extremely useful for the dual bird core. Not sure if double bird is supposed to be a HO thing, but a cleric such as sylveon running Hyper Voice/Wish/Protect/Heal Bell allows wish passes and status clearing which both the birds greatly appreciate. In particular, Staraptor gets a reputation as a Kamikaze fighter- but you can prolong its longevity and allow it to throw more Brave Birds by passing it wishes.

It also slows down the tempo of the game a bit when things get out of hand for the birds, which isn't all that uncommon considering they do share weaknesses.

Well, the issue here is that you are unlikely to give him the second hit before he swept your entire team after set up, and the difficulty of revenge killing this thing is not by any mean little.
Not realy. Many scarfer and other pokes with higher base speed than mega luce can survive an +2 Espeed/Bulletpunch at full health. Even Greninja has a 50% chance to survive an espeed hit without any def investment, Scarfed Infernape has only a 6% chance of falling to an espeed, Noivern always lives one hit on full life and all of them can ko back, even if lucario is at full life. Terrakion only has to worry about bullet punch, espeed does nothing... Skarmory can take one hit and whirlwind him out and so on. Without SR on the field and/or prior dmg on every possible check a full sweep from lucario is rather unlikely imo.

Lucario is almost impossible to counter but checking and revengekilling isnt that hard.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Trying to learn to play double bird core, thanks for the replay! To input my own two-cents: I found that having a wish passer/cleric is extremely useful for the dual bird core. Not sure if double bird is supposed to be a HO thing, but a cleric such as sylveon running Hyper Voice/Wish/Protect/Heal Bell allows wish passes and status clearing which both the birds greatly appreciate. In particular, Staraptor gets a reputation as a Kamikaze fighter- but you can prolong its longevity and allow it to throw more Brave Birds by passing it wishes.

It also slows down the tempo of the game a bit when things get out of hand for the birds, which isn't all that uncommon considering they do share weaknesses.
Staraptor and Talonflame aren't Pokemon you switch into, they're so frail they can get OHKO'd by anything, really.. wishpassing is cool but I don't think it would work for the double birds.

It's not strictly a core for HO, as I didn't really put the double bird core in an HO team, but it's the most suitable I guess. Excadrill is one of the best partners as it can both spin and set up SR, while serving somewhat as a check to rotom-w (although staraptor OHKOs that so it's np anyway). I used Def Rotom-w and SpD Megasaur as well, as some much-needed pivots, coming in in times of emergency. I especially have rotom-w for opposing Talonflames, they're a threat. And SpD megasaur takes on Aegislash.

Last edited:
Staraptor and Talonflame aren't Pokemon you switch into, they're so frail they can get OHKO'd by anything, really.. wishpassing is cool but I don't think it would work for the double birds.

It's not strictly a core for HO, as I didn't really put the double bird core in an HO team, but it's the most suitable I guess. Excadrill is one of the best partners as it can both spin and set up SR, while serving somewhat as a check to rotom-w (although staraptor OHKOs that so it's np anyway). I used Def Rotom-w and SpD Megasaur as well as pivots, coming in in times of emergency. I especially have rotom-w for opposing Talonflames, they're a threat. And SpD megasaur takes on Aegislash.
Idk, I've found that sometimes you know you can survive certain attacks, so I switch in and take the hit. As long as it doesn't OHKO, the wish will restore 63% of staraptor's life, which I've found to be worth it. I'd post a replay of this being an important part of my game, but I haven't played for a long time and my bracket is low so I won't do it until I reach a higher bracket.

Not realy. Many scarfer and other pokes with higher base speed than mega luce can survive an +2 Espeed/Bulletpunch at full health. Even Greninja has a 50% chance to survive an espeed hit without any def investment, Scarfed Infernape has only a 6% chance of falling to an espeed, Noivern always lives one hit on full life and all of them can ko back, even if lucario is at full life. Terrakion only has to worry about bullet punch, espeed does nothing... Skarmory can take one hit and whirlwind him out and so on. Without SR on the field and/or prior dmg on every possible check a full sweep from lucario is rather unlikely imo.

Lucario is almost impossible to counter but checking and revengekilling isnt that hard.
The scarfer argument is something that has been brought up for literally every offensive pokemon. It applies to them all, from Mewtwo to Sawk, and so really can't be used as a point in MLuke's disfavor. Problem is, most of MLuke's checks lack recovery and MLuke double resists SR, so it can just switch in multiple times in a match and weaken it's checks over time. Also, when the only other way to deal with MLuke is a scarfer that can only come in when something else dies, that creates a big problem. Namely, that something will have to die every time MLuke comes in so you can send in you scarfer, only for MLuke to switch out...

All these arguments have already been stated in the suspect testing thread. I'd suggest reading Tabuu's post on... page 9 I think, Tabuu put the MLuke arguments better than I ever could.

The scarfer argument is something that has been brought up for literally every offensive pokemon. It applies to them all, from Mewtwo to Sawk, and so really can't be used as a point in MLuke's disfavor.
Its not my intention to disregard lucario or something. Photofluid said that once he has setup its unlikely that anything will hit him and that statement is just wrong. There are a lot of things that are faster, can take an priority hit and ko back, scarfers are just a part of those things.

Problem is, most of MLuke's checks lack recovery and MLuke double resists SR, so it can just switch in multiple times in a match and weaken it's checks over time. Also, when the only other way to deal with MLuke is a scarfer that can only come in when something else dies, that creates a big problem. Namely, that something will have to die every time MLuke comes in so you can send in you scarfer, only for MLuke to switch out...
Given Lucarios frailty i realy doubt that he can switch in and out multiple times like that, he will also be worn down very quickly and the lower his health gets the more checks he gets because the amount of dmg needed to take him out drops with every switch in.

I realy dont want to get involved with that ban discussion, mostly because i simply dont care if he stays or not.

But the arguments against him are kinda one sided from my point of view. Ur saying he can wear down his checks while ignoring the fact that Lucario cant switch into all that many things without taking significant dmg on the switch.
I ve just read through Tabuu's Post in the suspect testing Thread and its somewhat the same with his argumentation. He is completely fixated on countering Lucario, which is very difficult if not impossible, i agree with that. I dont know the criteria for banning something, if not having solid counters or only very few then Lucario should be banned.

However, from my point of view, as long as there are several reliable ways of dealing with a pokemon, then the pokemon is fine for me and thats a given in Lucarios case. There are lots of things that can check him, he can be revengekilled and its quite difficult to switch him in and set up even once due to his frailness not to mention multiple times.

Last edited:
Its not my intention to disregard lucario or something. Photofluid said that once he has setup its unlikely that anything will hit him and that statement is just wrong. There are a lot of things that are faster, can take an priority hit and ko back, scarfers are just a part of those things.

Given Lucarios frailty i realy doubt that he can switch in and out multiple times like that, he will also be worn down very quickly and the lower his health gets the more checks he gets because the amount of dmg needed to take him out drops with every switch in.

I realy dont want to get involved with that ban discussion, mostly because i simply dont care if he stays or not.

But the arguments against him are kinda one sided from my point of view. Ur saying he can wear down his checks while ignoring the fact that Lucario cant switch into all that many things without taking significant dmg on the switch.
I ve just read through Tabuu's Post in the suspect testing Thread and its somewhat the same with his argumentation. He is completely fixated on countering Lucario, which is very difficult if not impossible, i agree with that. I dont know the criteria for banning something, if not having solid counters or only very few then Lucario should be banned.

However, from my point of view, as long as there are several reliable ways of dealing with a pokemon, then the pokemon is fine for me and thats a given in Lucarios case. There are lots of things that can check him, he can be revengekilled and its quite difficult to switch him in and set up even once due to his frailness not to mention multiple times.
He can't switch in on damaging attacks, that's true. However, most walls except those with paralysis or burn if he's a physical variant can be easily switched in on, particularly Blissey, Forretress, M-Venusaur, or just about anything else. He can also come in when something dies. The problem with Megaluke is that he has very few counters or checks, many anti-ban people say "scarfers" when said argument is almost completely irrelevant to banning. Uber pokemon can be scarf revenge killed too, they're still uber.

What other pokemon, aside from the omnipresent scarfers, can reliably revenge Megaluke? How many can counter him? Very few. And most pokemon that aren't part of that few, die to Megaluke. That limits teams, as one must always have one of this small pool of checks for megaluke, and then must keep that check at max HP to deal with him. And then Megaluke will just come in after every death and wear down that check because it's forced to switch into his attacks, until it's too weak to deal with Luke, at which point you get swept because so few pokemon can deal with him. He's potentially Uber not because he's impossible to counter, he's potentially Uber because he has too few counters, and without one of those you cannot deal with him.

Blissey has twave and can learn flamethrower, Forretress can have earthquake, mvenu can use sleeppowder, roar him out, leech seed it, has hp fire and earthquake... risky to setup on those imo. Yes he can come in after something dies but can he setup everytime? Not realy. If the thing he switched into has some offensive potential or status moves he risks dying/getting crippled without having done anything.

I can only argument from my experience and by theorymoning, but from the way i see it, Lucario is indeed difficult to handle once he gets a free setup opportunity with full life. However i consider that to be very unlikely to happen because almost everything in the Meta can have at least one move to severly dmg him, from what i know he doesnt have any free switch ins and nothing that could be called set up fodder for him which is in my opinion, his mayor downfall compared to other sweepers. I am using Mega Gyarados for example and with substitute and intimidate that thing has so many things that cant touch him at all, granting him free setup opportunitys all over the place, mega pinsir, charizard x and most other sweepers also have things they can setup on without worrying to much, Lucario though...

As i said, my experience is limited so plz correct me if i miss something but the only thing i always read is how strong he is once he setup, the question how and against what he is supposed to setup never came up and so far i havent seen a reasonable answer to that.

Blissey has twave and can learn flamethrower, Forretress can have earthquake and without calcing it i guess that even gyroball will deal lots of dmg, mvenu can use sleeppowder, roar him out, leech seed it, has hp fire and earthquake... risky to setup on those imo. Yes he can come in after something dies but can he setup everytime? Not realy. If the thing he switched into has some offensive potential or status moves he risks dying/getting crippled without having done anything.

I can only argument from my experience and by theorymoning, but from the way i see it, Lucario is indeed difficult to handle once he gets a free setup opportunity with full life. However i consider that to be very unlikely to happen because almost everything in the Meta can have at least one move to severly dmg him, from what i know he doesnt have any free switch ins and nothing that could be called set up fodder for him which is in my opinion, his mayor downfall compared to other sweepers. I am using Mega Gyarados for example and with substitute and intimidate that thing has so many things that cant touch him at all, granting him free setup opportunitys all over the place, mega pinsir, charizard x and most other sweepers also have things they can setup on without worrying to much, Lucario though...

As i said, my experience is limited so plz correct me if i miss something but the only thing i always read is how strong he is once he setup, the question how and against what he is supposed to setup never came up and so far i havent seen a reasonable answer to that.
All those walls have ways to potentially deal with Luke, yes. I was referring to when you're reasonably sure that said wall doesn't have a move with which to screw Luke over. Many Blissey don't run Flamethrower and prefer Toxic so they can poison-stall things to death, virtually no forretress use Earthquake (2 hazards+Volt Switch+Rapid Spin is the most common set I believe), and m-venu can't do anything if it doesn't have HP Fire or EQ... and even then, none of those pokemon can kill in one hit so Luke can still set up.

To answer your setup question, I can really only say that is actually very easy to find setup time. Lucario forces many pokemon to switch out for fear of a super-effective attack, and can take advantage of those turns to set up, just like any sweeper. Lucario's typing somewhat makes up for his stats, which makes it easier for him to set up- and the argument for Luke's banning is that, once set up, he's extremely difficult to stop. Much harder than any other setup sweeper. Those others you mentioned are bulkier. Do they hit nearly as hard as Luke? No, or if they do they have other flaws- SR weakness, slowness, lack of priority, et cetera, that are much worse than Luke's lack of defensive prowess.

here's a "classic" set that is making a comeback:

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Ancient Power

Choice Scarf Heatran for offensive and bulkier teams looking to patch up a few holes against some top threats in the metagame. Heatran's Fire / Steel typing and decent defenses lend themselves to aid Heatran check many of the priority based sweepers in the tier. Heatran's typing and Fire immunity can allow it to get switchin opportunities that most offensive Pokemon would not be able to dream being able to take. Lastly, Heatran has awesome coverage and a powerful STAB, which means it can force out or revenge a wide range of Pokemon that do not boost their speed. The downside is that Heatran is not the faster Choice Scarf Pokemon out there, meaning it can revenge kill threats that boost their speed (ex. DD Charizard X with EQ) nor can it outspeed Pokemon beyond 123 with a Modest Nature.

The EV's make sure Genesect gets the attack boost on its weaker U-turn, and not a special move that can hit Heatran like Thunderbolt. I use max speed in order to make sure I beat all other Modest / tie max speed Timid Scarf Heatran, to outspeed +1 Adamant Dnite and Gyarados, and to outspeed Mega-Manetric (which is annoying pke to deal with when paired with lando-t). You could shift some EV's out of speed into HP if you really didn't care about other Scarf Heatran and wanted a bit of extra bulk. Fire Blast and Earth Power are standard stuff for STAB and opposing Heatran. Dragon Pulse is chosen because HP Ice is just really weak to get locked into, Dragon Pulse can catch Latios / Latias for good damage (which are more common than physical dragons other than chomp because of defog), and if it came to revenge killing Dragonite Dragon Pulse still hits it hard. Ancient Power is necessary to revenge kill Talonflame.

Some of the big threats Scarf Heatran can check include:

SD Mega-Lucario
Non-Vacuum Wave NP Lucario
SD Mega-Pinsir
Talonflame
Genesect (surprise kills often)
Mega-Charizard Y
Unboosted Mega-Charizard X / no EQ Charizard-X
Aegislash

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Now that Lucarionite is banned..

How would good old regular SD Luke manage in today's metagame? It was one of the most threatening sweepers in DPP/BW OU with it's Adamant SD + eSpeed set, and even Agility Luke was threatening in DPP's days.

(bolded pokemon are OU's most common physical walls)

Some calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 294-346 (98.6 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 299-354 (75.8 - 89.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 320-376 (76.1 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 347-409 (81.8 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 282-333 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 278-328 (74.3 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 242-285 (100.4 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 307-361 (107.3 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 341-403 (112.1 - 132.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's pretty damn impressive. Sadly, Lucario's biggest problem was (and still is) 4MSS. It can't cover everything. Close Combat and ExtremeSpeed are two staples, and the last move is what makes the difference. If you lack Bullet Punch, you're walled and killed by Gengar. If you lack Crunch, you're walled by Slowbro. And if you lack Ice Punch, Lando-T and Gliscor can stop it.

This isn't a post to discuss Lucarionite's ban, it's to discuss how effective and threatening regular Lucario can be in today's metagame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)