Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V2 - Check Post #2500 PG. 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh I don't really know why you would use mence as a defogger; as an offensive defogger I would just go with the lati twins and if you want a defensive one mandibuzz (especially with aegi on the suspect ladder) or skarmory both work. They all get reliable recovery while poor salamence has to rely on wish (not necessarily bad but often times you'll prefer reliable recovery which helps with stuff like toxic stalling or else you have to run protect). I think one of the main selling points is that while it's for the most part outclassed by other dragon dancers, it does have some niches such as having intimidate to set it apart from altaria and dragonite to ease setup or moxie which makes it increasingly harder to wall every time it gets a kill and really discourages your opponent from sacking mons. Another cool thing about salamence is that it can go mixed which is pretty unpredictable and it actually has decent coverage.

Salamence has a pretty tiny niche but that niche still makes it viable.
Mence gets Roost as well.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Tbh I don't really know why you would use mence as a defogger; as an offensive defogger I would just go with the lati twins and if you want a defensive one mandibuzz (especially with aegi on the suspect ladder) or skarmory both work. They all get reliable recovery while poor salamence has to rely on wish (not necessarily bad but often times you'll prefer reliable recovery which helps with stuff like toxic stalling or else you have to run protect). I think one of the main selling points is that while it's for the most part outclassed by other dragon dancers, it does have some niches such as having intimidate to set it apart from altaria and dragonite to ease setup or moxie which makes it increasingly harder to wall every time it gets a kill and really discourages your opponent from sacking mons. Another cool thing about salamence is that it can go mixed which is pretty unpredictable and it actually has decent coverage.

Salamence has a pretty tiny niche but that niche still makes it viable.
Salamence does have roost and refresh, giving it a neat solo-dragon typing when it's roosting.

It can also threaten Bish with Fire Blast/Earthquake, while inducing Sucker Punch games.

95/80/80 bulk is also pretty similiar to Zapdos.

EDIT: damn greninjas!

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What, salamence learns roost as well... smh

Having a defogger that isnt such a pursuit bait can be pretty valuable for some teams (perhaps this set could be explored a bit more). Scarf and mixed ddance can still work in this metagame with the adequate team support (hence why it is D-rank) and ddance can at least set salamence apart from other ddancers thanks to moxie. Obviously not the most viable choice but it has decent enough niches to stay ranked at the very least.

Can some like double check some statements before posting them? it isnt never a bad a thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)