Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toxic spikes Q. I throw toxic spikes (one layer). Opponent switches and gets poisoned. I throw a 2nd layer. That same poisoned pokemon switches out and in. Is it now under toxic poison or still just regular poison?
Unless it has Natural Cure like Chansey it will be regular poisoned.

I just lost a game because my Talonflame was unable to outspeed an opposing Thundurus-I due to running adamant. Is the damage output of running adamant really worth it? Do I miss out on any important OHKO's? I'd really love to outspeed Greninja when I u-turn, or any fast electric type with flare blitz.

I just lost a game because my Talonflame was unable to outspeed an opposing Thundurus-I due to running adamant. Is the damage output of running adamant really worth it? Do I miss out on any important OHKO's? I'd really love to outspeed Greninja when I u-turn, or any fast electric type with flare blitz.
Jolly isn't really worth it just to outspeed one Pokemon, especially since Talonflame really needs as much power as it can get. iirc Brave Bird 2HKOes Thundurus after SR anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. If you do choose to run Jolly, however, only run enough Speed to outrun Thundurus and put the rest in bulk, since Jolly max Speed Talonflame is really awful.

You still need to watch out for Sleep Powder and Sludge Bomb, but I know Talonflame can OHKO if Venusaur took some damage (like from Stealth Rock). Kyurem-B can set up a Sub to block Leech Seed and Sleep Powder and Teravolt takes care of Thick Fat. Mega Pinsir and Latios @ Choice Specs can OHKO Mega Venusaur with Return and Psychic respectively, with or without Stealth Rock.
What about for thundurus? Who can beat him and who should i have on my team to pair up with him?

What about for thundurus? Who can beat him and who should i have on my team to pair up with him?
He's an S rank threat for a reason. Nothing really counters it. Chansey hates sets with Knock Off. Some AV mons can tank the special sets to a degree but again, they could easily switch into a knock off and then the AV is irrelevant. There's also the physical defiant set, and mixed sets with superpower. The only surefire way to really take him down without losing a pokemon is to have a slow bulky pivot use volt switch or U-turn and go into something like Greninja with Ice Beam. Even then, it just switches out and the pivot has to take another hit in later, so that's not even ideal.

Basically, all he has to consistently worry about is switching into Stealth Rocks, so one important partner is a defogger. He can also be revenged, of course, like anything, so rock and ice resists like steel types matter too. Having stealth rocks on your opponents' side matters too, as things like sash Mamoswine can come in, take a hit, and threaten with Ice STAB. Ice shard won't OHKO though unless you've taken some prior damage (again showing the importance of defog support).

Does Feint hit Pokemon that aren't using Protect when you're playing in Wi-Fi? It does in Showdown but idk about Wi-Fi.
Yeah, it does a small amount of damage regardless of whether the opponent uses protect.

He's an S rank threat for a reason. Nothing really counters it. Chansey hates sets with Knock Off. Some AV mons can tank the special sets to a degree but again, they could easily switch into a knock off and then the AV is irrelevant. There's also the physical defiant set, and mixed sets with superpower. The only surefire way to really take him down without losing a pokemon is to have a slow bulky pivot use volt switch or U-turn and go into something like Greninja with Ice Beam. Even then, it just switches out and the pivot has to take another hit in later, so that's not even ideal.

Basically, all he has to consistently worry about is switching into Stealth Rocks, so one important partner is a defogger. He can also be revenged, of course, like anything, so rock and ice resists like steel types matter too. Having stealth rocks on your opponents' side matters too, as things like sash Mamoswine can come in, take a hit, and threaten with Ice STAB. Ice shard won't OHKO though unless you've taken some prior damage (again showing the importance of defog support).
Ok so my team right now is consisting of Aegislash, Rotom Wash, Thundurus and either Latios or Deoxys (it's to deal with Mega Venusaur cuz I hate her). I was thinking of also putting in any combination of Excadrill, Forretress, Ferrothorn and Skarmory for Stealth Rocks and Rapid spin. Any suggestions? I like excadrill a lot personally.

Ok so my team right now is consisting of Aegislash, Rotom Wash, Thundurus and either Latios or Deoxys (it's to deal with Mega Venusaur cuz I hate her). I was thinking of also putting in any combination of Excadrill, Forretress, Ferrothorn and Skarmory for Stealth Rocks and Rapid spin. Any suggestions? I like excadrill a lot personally.
Aegislash is already a great steel type, letting you switch in easily to rock and ice type moves.

Excadrill would work. You've got Ro-dub to deal with Greninja and Excadrill can tank a T-tar stone edge and retaliate with EQ. (Focus blast isn't a guaranteed OHKO, even from the special set, and that's assuming it hits) Unfortunately though EQ isn't a guaranteed OHKO on 252 HP T-tar even from Adamant Exca, so you'll have to hope T-tar has some prior damage or that it doesn't have either superpower or earthquake.

Although, of course, you have to rapid spin instead of being able to defog, but mold breaker will help with predicted Gengar switch-ins and of course Aegislash is hard pressed to spinblock Excadrill one way or another unless it has air balloon, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

EDITED

Last edited:
Aegislash is already a great steel type, letting you switch in easily to rock and ice type moves.

Excadrill would work. You've got Ro-dub to deal with Greninja and Excadrill can tank a T-tar stone edge and retaliate with EQ. (Focus blast isn't a guaranteed OHKO, even from the special set, and that's assuming it hits) Unfortunately though EQ isn't a guaranteed OHKO on 252 HP T-tar even from Adamant Exca, so you'll have to hope T-tar has some prior damage or that it doesn't have either superpower or earthquake.

Although, of course, you have to rapid spin instead of being able to defog, but mold breaker will help with predicted Gengar switch-ins and of course Aegislash is hard pressed to spinblock Excadrill one way or another unless it has air balloon, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

EDITED
Should I have defog instead? Seems like i have a weakness in my team from what you say but dont know what it is

Should I have defog instead? Seems like i have a weakness in my team from what you say but dont know what it is
Well, you don't really have a great answer to t-tar. Latios would make it worse, Deoxys can at least check T-tar with superpower but obviously it can't switch in. Excadrill goes down to T-tar's superpower or earthquake but can't OHKO with its own earthquake in return. If your rotom is physically defensive though, that could come in, tank a hit, and burn it, which is both residual damage and of course turns T-tars OHKOs (like E/Q on Exca) into 2HKOs.

Defog is usually more desirable due to being un-blockable and you don't have to make contact with the opponent (so no iron barbs damage, for example), but that doesn't make rapid spinning bad or unviable (it actually has the advantage of not being affected by taunt and not doubling Bisharp's attack for it). If that works better for your team, go for it, especially with something like Excadrill that deals pretty well with the most-used ghosts in the game, Gengar and Aegislash. Although, it only deals with Gengar if 1) you predict the switch in and go for earthquake, or 2) Gengar does not have or misses focus blast, and like I said in my last post, if Aegislash carries the air balloon, you have to hit it with shadow claw or whatever first giving it a chance to sacred sword you (if it carries it). Despite that, I'd say Excadrill is probably the best rapid spinner in the game.

Well, you don't really have a great answer to t-tar. Latios would make it worse, Deoxys can at least check T-tar with superpower but obviously it can't switch in. Excadrill goes down to T-tar's superpower or earthquake but can't OHKO with its own earthquake in return. If your rotom is physically defensive though, that could come in, tank a hit, and burn it, which is both residual damage and of course turns T-tars OHKOs (like E/Q on Exca) into 2HKOs.

Defog is usually more desirable due to being un-blockable and you don't have to make contact with the opponent (so no iron barbs damage, for example), but that doesn't make rapid spinning bad or unviable (it actually has the advantage of not being affected by taunt and not doubling Bisharp's attack for it). If that works better for your team, go for it, especially with something like Excadrill that deals pretty well with the most-used ghosts in the game, Gengar and Aegislash. Although, it only deals with Gengar if 1) you predict the switch in and go for earthquake, or 2) Gengar does not have or misses focus blast, and like I said in my last post, if Aegislash carries the air balloon, you have to hit it with shadow claw or whatever first giving it a chance to sacred sword you (if it carries it). Despite that, I'd say Excadrill is probably the best rapid spinner in the game.
So then, who beats t-tar (tyranitar?)? Should I run will o wisp on my rotom and call it good or should my team itself stay as it is?

So then, who beats t-tar (tyranitar?)? Should I run will o wisp on my rotom and call it good or should my team itself stay as it is?
I'd definitely run the physically defensive rotom with will-o-wisp.

Some things that generally beat Tyranitar:

Garchomp
Conkeldurr
Breloom
Chesnaught
Scizor
Bulky fairies like Clefable or Sylveon
Hippowdon
Life Orb Mamoswine (though vulnerable to superpower)
Landorus (unless it's carrying Ice Beam and nails you on the switch-in)
Landorus-T (same deal as incarnate forme)
Banded Azumarill (if you don't switch in on Stone Edge)
Mega Mawile (if T-tar doesn't carry earthquake)
Terrakion (though it's almost OHKOd by EQ and is OHKOd by superpower)

If you want to know my recommendation: if you wanted you could probably use something to deal with Garchomp as well. Landorus-T works well, as does Mamoswine and even physically defensive Hippowdon, all of whom can at least set up rocks. Then you could run something else as a defogger.

I'd definitely run the physically defensive rotom with will-o-wisp.

Some things that generally beat Tyranitar:

Garchomp
Conkeldurr
Breloom
Chesnaught
Scizor
Bulky fairies like Clefable or Sylveon
Hippowdon
Life Orb Mamoswine (though vulnerable to superpower)
Landorus (unless it's carrying Ice Beam and nails you on the switch-in)
Landorus-T (same deal as incarnate forme)
Banded Azumarill (if you don't switch in on Stone Edge)
Mega Mawile (if T-tar doesn't carry earthquake)
Terrakion (though it's almost OHKOd by EQ and is OHKOd by superpower)

If you want to know my recommendation: if you wanted you could probably use something to deal with Garchomp as well. Landorus-T works well, as does Mamoswine and even physically defensive Hippowdon, all of whom can at least set up rocks. Then you could run something else as a defogger.
man i need more pokemon slots lol...

my old team was deoxys-s, bisharp, aegislash, charizard x, azumarill, and thundurus. I had similar problems with it... couldnt deal with a lot of stuff (like venusaur)

Almost anything with a physical Fighting attack can dispose of Tyranitar. You have Breloom, Conkeldurr, Infernape and Terrakion as OU-viable mons with fighting stab, the first three having Mach Punch and Terrakion not being cripplingly weak to bird spam.

Edit: The phone is getting really bad at updating messages....

I have LO Deoxys-S, Landorus with stealth rock on last slot, AV Azumarill, Thundurus and Pursuit Bisharp. What would be the best last pokemon for this team?

This is more showdown related than XY. But I have a friend who's bummed because he can't get to 1700 at the moment(he's peaked at 1620). The high 1500s and low 1600s are still good ranks correct? I assume anything over 1500 is far from terrible. Just want to give him some encouragement.

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
This is more showdown related than XY. But I have a friend who's bummed because he can't get to 1700 at the moment(he's peaked at 1620). The high 1500s and low 1600s are still good ranks correct? I assume anything over 1500 is far from terrible. Just want to give him some encouragement.
While it isn't the best it can be (According to Dauude Sandstorm) it is still a decent rank, more than average. A rank of 1500 isn't something to smirk at, especially if it is the high 1500s. Within 100 points after hitting 1600, your friend could make the ladder. So in summary, nothing to laugh at.

Last edited:
You'll get mixed responses here depending on how much any given person wants to flex their ego, but I'd say 1500 is decent, 1600 is good, 1700+ is very good, and anything 1800 and over is exceptional.

"Terrible" (or perhaps just "still learning the basics") would be something like hovering around 1100 or 1200.

I originally was going to post this in the RMT thread then realized it was a question and not a team review. I have built the following team and I need to know which mega pokemon could easily replace one of my non-megas, having a team without a mega is moronic.
Current team:

Specially Def Heatran
Assault Vest Conkledurr
Bulky Rotom-W
Bisharp
Life-Orb Deoxys S
Pivot Landorus

I would also be willing to switch out any mon who you think has a great replacement. THANKS!!!!!!!

Having a team without a mega isn't exactly moronic; if the synergy can't be further improved with a mega, then don't force yourself to use one. I, myself, have a few teams without one, the best one probably being:
Ferrothorn
Mamoswine
Bisharp
Excadrill
Gyarados
Jellicent

Flaw in this team being lack of a Fire-type move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)