O RLY? ISRAELI

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You know i bet the guy that filmed that video interviewed like 90 people and chose the 8 or 9 dumbest ones he or she could find. Those people are just way too stupid to be the American majority.
I don't think any of the people seen in the video were stupid and I have no difficulty believing most people wouldn't know what to answer to most of those questions.

There is nothing odd about it, people just do not know much about countries beyond their own.

As for Israel, after specifying I know nothing about it, I will say I've got no belief whatsoever that binational countries can work, that they never do or never as much as they would if they were split into different states and that just goes double when ethnicities antagonize each other as much as do some Palestinians/Israelis.

Yeah... the video could have had questions about almost any given nation and the results would have been largely the same. (A few questions, like the first, are different and probably should be well known to most people.)
Most Americans have a difficult time recalling freshman history class.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
What I don't like about the video wasn't the cherrypicked footage, it was the loaded questions specifically designed to elicit responses which were both wrong and demonstrated how poor Israel was just so shunned and misunderstood...

Nice Thread. Great to spread Isreali awareness.
I myself find it really annoying to explain it to people I am only Jewish by ethnicity not by religion. Any others find themselves predicament?

I also have one question
1.) How do you think we can raise America awareness of Isreal to further suppor them? Do you think the US should do more to help Isreal? If so how?

breh

強いだね
A lot of Jews don't like Obama for various reasons, but I personally believe he's done very well by Israel.
I don't really think it's a function of ethnic background (or at least this specific ethnic background). For example, my parents (who are Russian Jews) are extremely conservative (birthers etc. lol), but some of our friends (also Russian Jews) are pretty liberal (then again, I live in the bay area, where it seems as if everybody is liberal anyway, lol). I know that they are not fans of the general Democrat stance on Israel, but they don't treat it as if it's the sole relevant trait that Democrats possess.

While I do agree that the video is not the best and posed in an inflammatory way, it is, more than anything, exemplary of a larger problem - that nobody really knows anything about the rest of the world. I don't think it's limited to Israel - ask them to point out facts about Syria, for example, which has recently had a revolution (and thus might even have more knowledgeable responses), and they will spout equally inane cluelessness. Hell, I didn't know the answers to most questions, barring the camels question and questions I can answer as a result of having taken World History. The geography one is one that particularly angered me - nobody really learns geography in the US (and will thus pretty much guess as to its location) and, of all the questions they could have asked, the location of Israel is probably the least relevant (as long as they understand it's in the Middle East, I guess).

iDunno:
It actually says at the end of the video that there were 15 people interviewed and 13 on film. Take of that what you will. Their responses aren't exactly filled with stupidity (bar the camels question; I will admit I got a laugh out of that one) as much as a lack of knowledge. Believe me, this is indeed the American majority - the average person is unknowing with respect to everything.

iDunno:
It actually says at the end of the video that there were 15 people interviewed and 13 on film. Take of that what you will. Their responses aren't exactly filled with stupidity (bar the camels question; I will admit I got a laugh out of that one) as much as a lack of knowledge. Believe me, this is indeed the American majority - the average person is unknowing with respect to everything.
I realize this but I wouldn't be so surprised if it weren't for the fact that this stuff is circulated and mentioned daily on CNN and The Washington Post as well as probably every single other news outlet out there.

i'm so embarrassed to live here :/

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What is your opinion on the notion that the extreme orthodox Jews are essentially mooching off the government (you hinted at it with they can get out of military service, and from my trip to Israel it seemed like they get out of a lot more than just that)?
Personally? I don't like them at all. They are doing absolutely nothing but studying the bible all day, every day, they get allowances from our taxes, and they don't join the army. They simply are a pain in the ass. Plus, they are probably the most corrupted in Israel. I would elaborate on their corruption but it would be far too long. They are also that orthodox, that our government is actually for their favor in order to please them. There are a lot conflicts between them and the less religious people here. This topic actually came up recently, as the exclusion of women came up in the network. They spitted and threatened a 8 year old girl, because she was not dressed "modesty" enough. And we're talking about a family that came from the US to live here. There is also the story on the bus; there is segregation between male and female in the more religious neighborhoods in Jerusalem, the men sit in the front, the women in the back. Someone actually shouted on a female soldier which actually does something for the country, saying that she needs to move to the back and he does not give a damn what she has to say about that. She rejected that, and because of that every extremely orthodox man on the bus yelled at her, leaving her no choice but to get off the bus.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Im confused about the topic of this thread. Is this a thread about everyday life in Israel, or do I get to rant about how the Israeli government is evil?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What/Who do you think found Israel ? And out of what ?

Personally, I'm against Israel. But I might be a bit biased.

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Im confused about the topic of this thread. Is this a thread about everyday life in Israel, or do I get to rant about how the Israeli government is evil?
Israel Q&A thread. Ask everything, get an answer. And if you say our government is evil because the way we treat the palestenians, I will fucking snipe your head off.

What/Who do you think found Israel ? And out of what ?

Personally, I'm against Israel. But I might be a bit biased.
Found? Do you mean like Columbus discovering America (he's actually the second one)? If so, Israel is known since the biblical days. Many people have considered Jerusalem as the center of the ancient world (here). Out of where? idk dude wtf is this question.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Found? Do you mean like Columbus discovering America (he's actually the second one)? If so, Israel is known since the biblical days. Many people have considered Jerusalem as the center of the ancient world (here). Out of where? idk dude wtf is this question.
What I meant is how it was created, not discovered. :P Words failed me.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's my opinion that, while the Israeli handling of stuff isn't entirely flawless, there are a bajillion alternatives that could be worse. I bet that if the Israeli government suddenly coughed up money to buy, say, half of Madagascar, said "screw these neighbours, we're outta here" and moved the entire population, it wouldn't be a week before Syria, Lebanon Jordan and Egypt were fighting each other over the land. The Middle East is a stew of conflicts, and I'd say that it wouldn't be any better, give or take an Israel or two. If anything, the presence of Israel gives the neighbouring countries a common foe to unite against, so they forget their own internal bickering for a while. Iran hadn't been able to handle the revolts if they couldn't convince their people that Israel was a threat to their existence.

That being said, I think the Israeli politics do have some flaws. Three years of mandatory military service for everybody tells a bit in itself. There doesn't seem to be much will to compromise with the Palestinians either (though, to be fair, the Palestinians are just as bad on this point themselves). And the ordeal with systematical building of settlements in the Palestinian territories kinda undermines the negotiation process (though, it doesn't seem like this is endorsed by the government). It looks like the lobbyists have far too much influence, and the political right in general does nothing to find a peaceful solution that everybody can agree on. This goes for all sides in the conflict.

All in all, I loathe the conflict, but it's hard to put the blame on anybody. I guess total separation of religion and politics would be a step in the right direction, to stop all those whiners who justify their harassment with "this is the God-given land of the Israelites" or "We shouldn't cooperate with the Palestinians, they should be banished from this land. We shouldn't strive for peace on our own, because only the Messiah can bring peace" (actual quote from Norwegian newspaper, quoting activists who built settlements in the Palestinian territories). Get those lunatics away from politics, settle down to find the most sensible approach to the problem regardless of what deities people believe in, and work it from there. Of course, this also requires the neighbouring countries to pick up some sense as well.

That would be my two cents.

Last, a question: I see there is much mouring of the Great Temple that was destroyed by the Romans. Haven't anybody considered, you know, building a new one? If not, then why?

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, fair enough mien.

Kromlech:
1. There is compulsive military service for both male and female citizens upon graduating high school. (It is possible to get out of the service through religious means). It is a 3 year service, unless you are promoted, which then requires you to stay longer. After your service, you are on reserve until a certain age (I'm sorry, I don't know what the age is). Which means you go and help out at certain times.
aren't women in it for one year less than men? my mum is from Israel and she told me that but idk whether it's changed or anything..

What I meant is how it was created, not discovered. :P Words failed me.
Israel as a country was created after world war 2 on land previously held by Britain, partially out of the worldwide sympathy towards Jews in the aftermath of the Holocaust.

Last, a question: I see there is much mouring of the Great Temple that was destroyed by the Romans. Haven't anybody considered, you know, building a new one? If not, then why?
From a religious perspective, because it is believed that the third Temple should only be built after the coming of the Messiah.

From a secular perspective, because it would provoke massive war in the Middle East, as well as massive turmoil within Israel. Also, I'm not sure who has the rights to the site of the original Temple.

I was born and am raised in Israel. Plenty of 'answers' in this thread are wrong. I'm going to be too unbiased and critical for my own good.

Glen said:
he said a lot of israelis go to nepal after their service, any idea why that is?
To nepal and the far east in general, yes. That's because it's what everyone does. No big reason whatsoever. Basically, people who don't feel like going to uni / getting a serious job and want some off time.
Minwu said:
How volatile/scary is the situation between Israel and Palestine? Why?
HEAVILY depends on who you're asking. If you're an Israeli living far from areas such as Gaza and the East Bank, it's life as usual. I believe it's the same for Palestinians living in their metropolis, though if you go by percentage of overall population from each party, Israel's is higher by plenty.
iDunno said:
Also how much are Israelis actually afraid of Iran. (I'm under the impression that their politicians shit their pants whenever they think about it)
Most people don't give much of a shit because nothing's been happening for around 4-5 years. Some politicians like making a fuss out of it because (insert politically-related reason here). Obviously none of us would like the threat of a nuclear bomb above our heads but hey.

As for the bigger issues that have been getting stupidly biased answers (no offense)... WIP.

About serving in the army: It is compulsory by law. Men and women alike, at age 18. Men serve for 3 years, women serve for 1.5. There are in fact many ways to bypass this such as claiming to be physically challenged (bribe a doctor), claiming to be a pacifist (which gets you 'delegated' to public service for some time, after talks with counselors and such) or claiming to be part of an extremist religious faction. I don't know how this works for 'Israeli arabs', as most of them don't serve and probably are never called for the preliminary stages unless they willingly want to serve (there are some arab factions that do this). About what I can answer: extreme Jewish groups, which are about 15%-20% of the overall population. (around 1/3, 1/4 of the Jewish population, and remember that these are extreme groups) These are people that are born into the norm that they don't serve the army and participate in intense bible studies instead -- by law. The law, that was established under extremist influence no doubt, forces these groups, that consider it an impossibility to serve normally due to the differences between them and the atheists, to serve in the army OR study the bible, as that is 'the other way' of 'serving your country', believe it or not. In this way most members of these groups are forced to study the bible instead of getting a job, whether they like it or not, and extremist political parties are forced to give them minimal profits, which come off of everyone's money. This makes Israel an extremely hard place to live in, but I'm getting carried away from the subject here.

Most soldiers are indeed devoted to their parts when they're out there. No doubt influence of the army itself, as you can be liberal before and after your time serving but you're out there 'kicking arab butt' during that time. It's more like peer pressure that gives you the ability to put your liberality aside for 'serving your country'.

Kinda hard to explain most of these stuff. I wish I had the correct terms.
What is your opinion on the notion that the extreme orthodox Jews are essentially mooching off the government (you hinted at it with they can get out of military service, and from my trip to Israel it seemed like they get out of a lot more than just that)?
It's super true and it super stinks, and there's nothing you can do about it so long as you have a sizable portion of the population completely isolated in their 'own country', in which people grow into a completely different community that the usual atheist would grow into. It's essentially impossible to communicate or influence these parties because of these differences. In fact, it's easier making you join them than leave - that's how these things work. Nothing special to Judaism.

And the ordeal with systematical building of settlements in the Palestinian territories kinda undermines the negotiation process (though, it doesn't seem like this is endorsed by the government).
Formally, it isn't endorsed, but what they're doing right now is basically 'moving' settlements a few feet west, or 'compromising' the extremists by building X new compounds for _SMALL AGGRESSIVE ACTION AGAINST SETTLEMENTS_. It is literally that bad.
I guess total separation of religion and politics would be a step in the right direction, to stop all those whiners who justify their harassment with "this is the God-given land of the Israelites" or "We shouldn't cooperate with the Palestinians, they should be banished from this land. We shouldn't strive for peace on our own, because only the Messiah can bring peace" (actual quote from Norwegian newspaper, quoting activists who built settlements in the Palestinian territories). Get those lunatics away from politics, settle down to find the most sensible approach to the problem regardless of what deities people believe in, and work it from there. Of course, this also requires the neighbouring countries to pick up some sense as well.
Now this is a problem people overlook. You can't separate a huge bulk of the population. That's not how democracy works, unfortunately. Only a third of the population are Israelis that are not part of extreme groups, and even most of those are simple and are swayed by propaganda and don't know what they're voting for. It's only worse on the Palestinian side, unfortunately.
It wasn't done that simply in the bible. I'm an atheist, but I'm pretty sure this would be infuckingacceptable unless some great leader shows up. Won't happen on planet Earth.

Funny, my sister just returned from studying abroad in Jerusalem after 3 months. After a long discussion here are a two big things I took away (most of this has to do with Palestinians, so if you are angry I'm sorry D:) :

- Although not set in stone, segregation between Palestinians and Israeli seems pretty widespread. For example, the nice public transport line in Jerusalem is only available to the more affluent Jewish sector of the population, while Palestinians have to deal with an inefficient bus system. Do you have experience with this behavior?

- In society, anti-Palestine seems to be pretty rampant. My sister was able to visit a Jewish settlement in a mostly-Palestinian area and she was immediately greeted with a sign saying that the area was a land stolen by Palestinians, etc. I'm sure there's a similar sentiment echoed among Palestinians towards Israeli, but have you encountered this during your travels there?

Furai

I'm from Turkey. We're much cooler.
hahahahahahahhahahahaha no ya not.

- Although not set in stone, segregation between Palestinians and Israeli seems pretty widespread. For example, the nice public transport line in Jerusalem is only available to the more affluent Jewish sector of the population, while Palestinians have to deal with an inefficient bus system. Do you have experience with this behavior?
Of course there is segregation between us and the palestinians. I would get further into this on demand, but not now as this topic usually makes me angry and I cbf to discuss it now. As for the bus lines, I actually find this uncorrect probably as I have never heard of this (perhaps because going between them is extremely dangerous and I don't want to get killed). If so, I believe that the answer for that would be that their government is treating them like that. Also, as I said, we do not want to get killed, so that could be a reason to why bus drivers stay away from their neighborhoods. This is a very sensitive topic for both sides, so I'm sorry if I'm too offensive, but these are my feelings.

- In society, anti-Palestine seems to be pretty rampant. My sister was able to visit a Jewish settlement in a mostly-Palestinian area and she was immediately greeted with a sign saying that the area was a land stolen by Palestinians, etc. I'm sure there's a similar sentiment echoed among Palestinians towards Israeli, but have you encountered this during your travels there?
If you are talking about the settlements, I honestly have no opinion about this topic. I truly don't. When I am thinking of this topic from time to time, I just stop immediately as I have no way of thinking to start from. If that was your question, then sorry, I have no answer.

Then I'll answer.
I don't live in the capital, but from what I know the 'main', non-extremist part of Jerusalem is just like the Tel Aviv metropolis, albeit slightly more conservative. And by that I mean public transportation and other things are free for use to everyone. The thing about Jerusalem is that it's divided into that area, areas of religious extremists of all types (not in the same area, of course) and some 'Palestinian' neighborhoods (like most of the East Bank and Gaza), that refuse to integrate with their surroundings religiously. In this example, the public transportation is 'denied' from these people because they refuse to make their own. They're essentially their own country by choice.

So, to answer your question, there isn't any discrimination between Israelis and Palestinians in the bulk of Jerusalem. Because 'Palestinians' are nonexistent in any areas that are collectively considered a part of what they consider the Zionist occupation and such. 'Israeli' arabs are free to use public transportation and anything else. Not that discrimination doesn't exist, it's just from the people that live there, nothing formal, and that kind of thing is impossible to stop, not only here.

That's because settlements are built on what are literally battlegrounds. They're there because whoever settles there wants their claim on the land. Extremists. Of course there's going to be massive hate there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)