1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'The Great Library' started by Elec., Oct 19, 2016.

1. Shinryu

Shinryu

Personally, I'm kinda inclined to wait now that the shortcomings are in light. If the framerate stuff is really true, I'm willing to wager odds within a year there will be either a Pro or simply an updated model with the newer Tegra instead of the roughly 2 year old "customized" one they're using in the Switch now. And they'll have to be redesigning the one joycon side since apparently they have crappy placement design internally. That'll also give time for the other better titles to come out like Mario Odyssey and such, and maybe a BoW price drop.
  2. Meowmeow

Meowmeow

A new model within a year? Probably after 2 years. The library is kinda barren right now, still waiting for any news on the virtual console. I'm loving my purchase though, can't wait for the rpgs to arrive.
  3. Acklow

Acklow I am always tired. Don't bother me.
    is a Pre-Contributor

I got my switch yesterday. BotW is pretty lit.
  4. Acklow

is a Pre-Contributor

One week analysis:

<---Best girl.
  5. Pilo

Pilo what's up fuckmother
    is a Live Chat Contributor

my thoughts on the just finished switch direct are mostly positive overall but the new arms character minmin looks sort of bad. her special glove is a dragon's head that shoots out a stationary laser for a couple of seconds limiting her own mobility for the next few moments. it might have some potential in zoning and leading opponents but it looks pretty easily punishable. On the other hand, though, the splatoon 2 trailer they showed looked pretty promising. i found the trailer pretty funny as well as creative. the new tower defense gamemode looks polished not to mention fun too, it has everything it needs to be a successful gamemode in and of itself, let's just hope there's a good variety in maps.

nothing else of note other than perhaps sonic mania but that's old news, the other sonic game also looks like it has potential but then again it seems very generations 2.0
  6. newtonja

newtonja

Honestly, all I want from new sonic games is consistency. So that they set a bar of stable quality.
  7. Siggu

Siggu

I'm getting a Switch at the end of the month or early into May at latest. The Puyo Puyo Tetris hype is hard to resist.

I'm thinking of adding Mario Kart 8 deluxe and perhaps a second JoyCon to the combo, but I'm not sure about adding a third game.

(Breath the Wild is out of consideration - I don't have anything against it but I almost always stop playing open-world games early on)
  8. Magcargo

Magcargo Midnight Training
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Senran Kagura Switch looks lit.
  9. Acklow

is a Pre-Contributor

So ARMS.

I had a blast playing it on the Global Testpunch today. The fighting is tight and crisp with easy to understand controls. Combat seems very Smash Bros.-esque (rock-paper-scissors-esque I suppose?) where punch beats grab beats guard beats punch. The characters each have their own flair, with Minmin being my favorite from the group you could play as. Online play was very fluid with little wait time between matches which was very, very nice considering how some games take forever to load online matches. Matches are also short enough that you don't ever lose the feeling of intensity during a match and I'm sure that they are only short at this point because of people still getting used to the game-play. I guarantee you that in a year's time, ARMS gameplay meta will probably evolve into longer match-times because people with higher skill will know how to control the length of a match without straight spamming punch or grab.

So, thoughts?
  10. ChrystalFalchion

ChrystalFalchion
    is a Pre-Contributor

If they put a main series Pokemon game on the Switch I'd buy one tomorrow
  11. Acklow

is a Pre-Contributor

A bit late to respond what with E3 being last week but they're doing a core game for the Switch. Get on with it!
  12. Siggu

Siggu

My Nintendo Switch (alongside a Pro Controller, Mario Kart 8 and Puyo Puyo Tetris) has just got home.

My very first real non-handheld Nintendo console (closest thing I ever got before was the "Family Game", a pirated NES that was extremely popular back then in South America)... and now I have to wait a good 10 hours at best to use it >.<
  13. ChrystalFalchion

ChrystalFalchion
    is a Pre-Contributor

Shame it's not coming for at least a year, but better a game done right than a game rushed out. Will be picking one up, probably not tomorrow as money's a bit tight (fuck bills) but for christmas at the latest. Mario Odysee looks amazing as well. Has Galaxy finally met its match?
    Viridi likes this.
  14. Pilo

Pilo what's up fuckmother
    is a Live Chat Contributor

Odyssey looks absolutely stunning. I'd honestly suggest you check out some of the gameplay on Youtube if you want to know what to expect (it looks extremely fun/well polished). imo Odyssey is easily capable of topping Galaxy in quality and maybe even SM64 too. I might be getting a tiny bit ahead of myself but Odyssey is seriously shaping up to be a masterpiece.

I think overall Nintendo made a really smart move in releasing the Switch and that this year has been really strong for them so far with the release of SMO + BOTW. One could argue that ARMS is also good and while it does indeed seem to be a promising new ip I've heard read mixed reviews. Still though I'm really excited for this year and what's to come in 2018 as well which will see the release of Prime 4 and a mons game on the Switch as was mentioned earlier.
  15. ChrystalFalchion

ChrystalFalchion
    is a Pre-Contributor

Oh I have seen the gameplay footage - it looks incredible from what I've seen.

SPlatoon 2 also looks fun, had a blast with the first. Looking forward to Yooka Laylee as well, nice to see 3D platformers aren't completely dead.

Will be picking up a Switch for sure.
  16. DTC

DTC I'll be your 1-Up girl
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Anyone here play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? I just got it the other day and I'm looking for some people to play with.

My friend code is 0525-2573-0229
  17. Siggu

Siggu

I got my Switch last Monday and it's been a blast so far. Well, mostly a Puyo blast but you get the point. Well, okay, it was more of a Tetris blast than a Puyo blast (as I need to hone those Tetris skills) but whatever.

It says enough that my mother, who was utterly shocked that I spent so much on a console, praised how convenient the Switch's hybrid, play-anywhere nature is, after driving me and my brother away from the TV to keep playing Mario Kart 8... on the table, as if nothing had happened before.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)