Kid Icarus: Uprising

Yamata no Orochi

dreamenddischarger
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha look! Kaguya and Eirin <3
Anyways, I love the variety of weapons and the choice to choose your difficulty. This game is SO fun. I don't think I will get bored any time soon.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
From what I remember you have to do insanely well in the air battle. The best thing to do is write down how much you get in the air battle first time around and then ensure you beat every enemy in the land battle, then check how many more you need to kill in the air battle to get to 230 and just keep on playing it till you get that amount. Also
in the part where you hit the barrels down to make a vent of air to go up, ensure you get all 3, one is behind the corner as you then go higher up and a few more enemies are there.
Oooh yeah. Just did chapter 14 and chapter 16, thanks for the tip dude it definitely made a difference (I needed to step up my game during the aerial portion.)

Also, dying DOESN'T reset the kill counter so I abused that. I ended up getting 231 for chapter 14, and only because I died just prior to facing the boss XD.

Does anyone have a favourite weapon that they've been playing with recently?

I've been using this Magnus Club

Range: ★★★★☆
Melee: ★★★★
+4 Freeze
+2 Shot Homing
+1 Evasion

I actually have about 3 or 4 weapons that I like to use.

Scorpio Staff
Ranged: 4.5 stars
Melee: 4.5 stars
Value: 285
Knockback defense +1
Confusion +1
Walking speed +1
Bkwd-dash cont fire +1
Knockback recovery +1
Heart bonus +1

Aquarias Blade
Ranged: 2.5 stars
Melee: 2.5
Value: 236
Speed +3
Side-dash cont. fire +3
Knockback recovery +1

Samurai Blade
Ranged: 6 stars
Melee: 1.5 stars
Value: 276
Health +1
Stamina +1
Standing cont. fire +1
Dash cont. fire +1
Heart bonus +1

Volcano Arm
Ranged: 2 stars
Melee: 3.5 stars
Value: 306
Overall defense +4
Speed +2
Stamina +4
Standing cont. fire +1
Side-dash cont. fire +3

Love the volcano arm in Light vs. Dark while using lightweight. I'll run up to someone extremely fast, melee them, and then run away. It's a rather effective way of beating people senseless.

Also, on the volcano level for multiplayer, has anyone else died from falling the lava. It's become a rather common occurence for me, but I have killed a few angels this way, even though my team was going to lose in about another second. Really funny to see a full health angel suddenly die while no one else is around.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Taurus Arm
Ranged 5.5
Melee: 1.5
Value: 319 (yeah a bit pricy)
Weakening +2
Speed +4
Forward charge shot +4
Side-dash cont fire +1
Inperil autododge +1

Also, to the above yeah I just melee'd an angel into the lava xD. I really hate freeze and petrification lost a game purely on my opp managing to freeze me at every turn -__-

I use

GaolBlade
range:5.5
melee:3
Speed+4
Forward dash ch shot+2
Sidedash cont fire+2
Poison+3
Range+1
Overalldef+2

I also use the divinebow valued at 281, and darknessbow valued ar 277 but cant remember off the bat there stats

EDIT: And I just got a samurai blade from fusing and Its definitely my best weapon in ffa

Ball Cannon
Ranged: ★★★★★
Melee: ★
Value: 277
-Overall defense +2
-Freezing +4
-Backward-dash ch. shot +1

My bread and butter for my main playthrough. Managed to pick this sucker up around chapter 11 or so and it's been my mainstay ever since. I'm considering fusing it into a blade or something since it doesn't perform so well online.

Skyscraper Club
Ranged: ★★★★
Melee:
Value: 263
-Freezing +2
-Speed +2
-Stamina +1
-Standing ch. shot +1
-Backward-dash ch. shot +2
-Heart bonus +1

Until I got ahold of this, I was strongly against clubs. After using it online, I instantly fell in love with the weapon type and began fusing up a ton of other clubs. I've had this one for a long time, and I'm looking to fuse a better one when I get an opportunity.

Cancer Claws
Ranged: ★☆
Melee: ★★★☆
Value: 267
-Knockback defense +1
-Health +5
-Speed +2
-Melee combo +3

I don't use claws very often, but god dammit having crab hands is fucking hilarious. Managed to fuse these after unlocking them, they do pretty well.

Fortune Bow
Ranged: ★★★
Melee:
Value: 306
-Overall defense +7
-Standing ch. shot +1
-Dash ch. shot +4
-Heart bonus +2

After a lot of chain fusing, I managed to get this amazing defense stat and dash charge shot on a good bow. I wouldn't dare use this in LvD due to the overinflated value, but in FFA it is an absolute monster. It's saved my ass quite a few times playing solo as well.

I've also got an Earthmaul Club with freezing, defense, and dash charge. It's okay by itself, but what I really want to do is get those mods onto a nice pair of orbitars or maybe a palm. Not having a lot of luck, though.

I can't really remember the last time I was this excited about playing a new game. New as in "recently released", not new as in "trying it for the first time even though it's a classic" (which would be the case for Chrono Trigger. Awesome game, but it came out about 17 years ago, and I only tried it a month ago.) The controls take some getting used to, and I'm still not always quick enough to spin the camera in Light vs Dark. But I've been loving this game. The levels are challenging, the music is really catchy and exciting, and the dialogue is surprisingly hilarious. I also love that

the story starts out by taking you on a nostalgia trip through the characters and bosses from the NES game. But once they run out of references to the NES game, they actually develop an entirely new mythology for the game to take place in, actually expanding it wide enough to make up for the time when Kid Icarus had no sequels.

This whole situation is bizarre. Nintendo and the guy who made Kirby took an NES game (which I admit I actually kind of like) that hasn't been relevant for years, and they used elements from the game (characters and certain mechanics like the hot springs) to evolve it into an entirely different beast. Recognizable as a nostalgia trip but fresh enough to allow newcomers in without prior knowledge. Just... unbe-freaking-lieveable.

As for weapons, my highest-value weapon right now is my boomstick:
Bullet Blade
Value 307
6-star Ranged, 0-star Melee
Overall defense +1
Running speed +4
Evasion +1
Dash charge shot +3
Melee dash attack +3

Second runner-up is an Earthmaul Club I never really use. Want to fuse it to make a good blade, bow, or other good weapon.

I usually use blades in most situations, and sometimes I like my Gaol Blade, too, because it has some pretty nice homing capabilities. I think the order of which weapons I'm interested in using is something like this:
Blades, Claws, Bows, Cannons, Palms, Clubs, Staves, Arms, Orbitars

My best weapon so far:
Gaol Blade
Ranged: ★★★★
Melee: ★★★1/2
- Overall Defense +4
- Paralysis +4
Value: 292

This got me through Boss Battles (Easy) in 16 minutes, with only 1 Drink of the Gods used. I obtained the weapon by completing the achievement where you defeat Gaol before Magnus, without hurting Magnus, on at least 5.0 intensity.

Some Treasure Hunt achievements I need advice for:
"Take out 2 of Hewdraw's heads at once." - Only tried a few times... are cannons good for this?

"Destroy 3 mirrors in the fight with Amazon Pandora." - I didn't see any mirrors!?

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some Treasure Hunt achievements I need advice for:
"Take out 2 of Hewdraw's heads at once." - Only tried a few times... are cannons good for this?

"Destroy 3 mirrors in the fight with Amazon Pandora." - I didn't see any mirrors!?
For first one, do it on intensity 0 and hit each head once with a charged shot then use your two blue bubbles and two will fall off.

For second one, the best thing to do is do it on a low intensity and stay near her, and eventually she'll put these heart mirrors in front of her which you melee attack.

I'm currently using these two weapons. First one I use pretty much always for solo mode and the other one for together mode.

Cancer Claws
Ranged: ★★★★☆, Melee: ★☆
Value: 338
Overall defense +3, Knockback defense +1, Shaking +4, Speed +4, Standing cont. fire +1, Full-health boost +5

Crusader Blade
Ranged: ★★★★★★, Melee: ★☆
Value: 336
Overall defense +3, Health +2, Burning +4, Standing cont. fire +1, Full-health boost +4

So far in my hunt for all intensity 9, I'm up to 19/25 but struggling on a few of the levels so taking a while.
Finished both of Palentuna's and Viridi's treasure hunts (used feathers for spotpass and stupid ones like losing no health), and up to 106/120 on Hades one though used two feathers on beating chapter 19 with a club on intensity 9 (never going to happen -_-) and boss battles on hard.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Alrighty, guess I should toss my current weapons into the fray as well:

For together mode:

Ninja Palm
Ranged: ★★
Melee: ★★☆
Value: 275
Overall defense +5
Paralysis +1
Speed +3
In-peril autododge +2

This guy is nice because I can stealth in for a quick melee, thanks to the decent speed, then get out of the way. The nice defense in conjunction with the high speed movement of Ninja Palm is quite the combo, so I'm able to spam my auto-attack.

Divine Bow
Ranged: ★★★
Melee: ★★
Value: 275
Overall defense +1
Health +4
Running Speed +1
Bkwd-dash cont fire +3
Knockback recovery +1

Nice thing about this one is the fact that I get more bulky with this item. I also find myself retreating alot with the bow against melee weapons, so the boost is very nice and packs a punch.

Burst Blade
Ranged: ★☆
Melee: ☆
Value: 245
Petrification +4
Running Speed +1
Evasion +1
Standing ch. shot +1
Effect Duration +4
In-peril autododge +1

To be honest, I don't use this as much due to the suckiness of the damage output on this thing. However, the best part about this weapon is the strong and long petrification. Basically, you are able to lockdown an opponent for around 3-5 seconds with this thanks to the HUGE extended duration of the petrification effect, which is extremely useful in trying to either escape or chase.

Solo Mode

In Solo-mode, I prefer bows and blades. They are the most versatile in all occasions, not to mention bows have excellent homing which is why I chose them over any other weapons in solo-mode. It helps rack up kills and in air battles, I don't have to charge shots to hit far-away targets.

Silver Bow
Ranged: ★
Melee: ★★★
Value 248
Overall defense +3
Confusion +1
Speed +1
Evasion +1
Forward-dash cont. fire +2
Heart bonus +1

I like my solo mode weapons to have a lot of utility, which this guy has. Heart bonus is always a plus in solo mode and each and every stat helps. The only downside to this weapon is the lack of pro ranged damage, so I end up having to resort to meleeing with a bow...not always successful, but much better than missing all the time with a staff at long range against bosses who like to close the gap on you.

First Blade
Ranged: ★★★★★
Melee: ☆
Speed +1
Forward-dash ch. shot +3
Forward-dash cont. fire +4
Recovery effect +2

This item is so boss. I'm not even kidding you. In solo mode on difficulty 9, all I have to do is spam forward dash shots and most enemies go down in 2-3 shots. It's ridiculous. Plus, I have a boost in all of my recovery, which means I can heal about half health with Level 3 Heal. Yeah, this is a nice weapon for trying to actually attempt any levels (without skipping crap) on difficulty 9.

tl;dr the stuff hidden, I like to use high-speed, high defense items for combat in together mode. You pose more of a threat if you are still racking up kills and you are in-peril than when you are dying constantly and don't have any sustenance. In solo, I prefer utility rather than any specific goal in terms of my weapons, as this allows for a wider range of play, which is required in solo mode.

I've been experimenting with fusion a lot lately as well. I tend to buy weapons that cost 200-400 in hearts because they lack abilities, which means that I have an easier time getting abilities I want fused onto them and in the process develop much stronger weapons.

I'm working on getting a weapon that has both the pet+4 and effect dur+4 from my burst blade, and has much better speed or def so that I can be more successful with it in multiplayer.

In any event, I hope we can get a multiplayer game or two in sometime with you Smogoners, but I'm not sure how long it will be before people will actually try to get together on wifi for this.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hints and tips for the crazy bastards out there who want to finish chapter 18 on 9.0 intensity. It turns out, it IS possible.

-Magnus is immune to grabs from centurion strong arms while attacking. Yes you heard right, MAGNUS IS IMMUNE TO GRABS WHILE ATTACKING. This drastically drops the difficulty of the chapter, no question.
-When facing a mob of enemies, ALWAYS target the arrow-wielding centurions, they're your biggest threats.
-You can skip the "dog pit sniffers for garbage" segment by going to the fountain after seeing "Pit's body attack the town" and wait until he comments on the centurions / calling the town square rough / ruff. Then run like mad passed the part where you lose control.
-When you see juggernauts, you can clip through them by using your dash attack. Use this to your advantage in the section before you fight Pit's body. Dash attack through the juggernaut and kill it from behind (if the strong arms are close enough you can attack them too)
-Pit's body is a ridiculously tough boss battle, who will tear you to pieces. You can't attack him head on, instead dodge his attacks and punish him. Some of his arrow shots / melee attacks leave him open so do that. Aim year (invisible...) reticle shortly above Pit's head to get a handle on him. Dodge like CRAZY when you aren't near him to avoid his arrow shots.
-If you beat Pit, take a 5-10 minute break, you'll need it to calm yourself down.
-It's recommended that you have a weapon with HIGH defense before attempting this segment. I actually died on 2 seperate attempts during the air segments so don't underestimate them. +5 defense is recommended; I had one with +8 defense on my successful attempt. Even if your weapon is dirt weak, defense is everything.
-Scream AWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH when you win

Good luck. This is arguably the hardest chapter in the game (undoubtly the hardest if you attempt it without the attacking exploit)

My favourite combo for multiplayer is Trade-off (increase attack power by spending health) + Pisces Heal (If an attack would kill you, instead heal for half). It's funny when my 6-star Magnus club deals around 500 damage in a single melee combo. It literally oneshots and twoshots them. Only downside is that Trade-off doesn't last very long, and once you've used it you're essentially dead weight.

I've found that the fastest way to grind hearts is to do a local FFA with the timer set to 1 minute and the AI set to 10% health handicap. 1200 hearts a minute, much faster and less risky than doing online or betting in the fiend's cauldron.

And does anyone know the difference between Full Health and Health modifiers? I have a Metoer Bow with +5 Full-health and +6 Health but I'm not sure whether it actually does anything.

Hard Boss Rush is still impossible T.T I'm working on clearing all chapters at 5 or more intensity, to prepare for my level 9 runs.

My favourite combo for multiplayer is Trade-off (increase attack power by spending health) + Pisces Heal (If an attack would kill you, instead heal for half). It's funny when my 6-star Magnus club deals around 500 damage in a single melee combo. It literally oneshots and twoshots them. Only downside is that Trade-off doesn't last very long, and once you've used it you're essentially dead weight.
Found this kind of interesting because I actually attended the little tournament to promote Kid Icarus Uprising at PAX East last week. Before the tournament, the announcers listed off what we weren't allowed to use, and your quote listed three of the four things that were banned (Pisces Heal and Trade-Off powers and the Magnus Club). The other power that was banned that day was Libra Sponge. (At the time, I commented to the announcer "I haven't even heard of any of those powers," and she replied, "Good, 'cause you can't use them." I had just passed Chapter 11 or 12. :P)

I don't know if there's a strong "competitive Kid Icarus" community brewing, but you just might want to keep that in mind, unless the community changes its mind.

i have completed all levels except for chapters 19-25 on level 5 or higher.

1. scorpio staff: found in chapter 16, or whichever level has the aurum and aether ring. hop in the aether ring and destroy all the enemies. then advance through where those sliding walls are. in the room after that, there is a hole that your aether ring can fit through, (palutaena will give you a little prompt about aiming with the aether ring in the room). go down there with the ring, and look out for an orb sticking out of the walls. shoot and destroy it. when you are floating down, make sure to stay on the circular platform beneath you. if you fall, you will have to restart the stage if you want that weapon. when it is destroyed, a room will open up containing the scorpio staff zodiac weapon.

scorpio staff has an ok range amongs staffs and will poison foes.

capricorn club/taurus arm is found in chapter 4.
play through the level as per normal until you see a series of swinging axes and a spiral vacuum thing. when you see that, drop down onto the second floor, and look for a hole that is glowing with a white light. go down that hole and the zodiac chamber is there.
note: there is a clubber skull nearby, so dont do anything rash.

sagitarius bow is found in chapter 2.

play through level as per normal, and when you get to some stairs (before you meet magnus) look for a drape or a tapestry on a wall. walk through and have fun.

sagitarius bow is a great all round bow that has a fairly fast fire rate, good range among bows, and does good melee damage.

aries armour/ aquarius blade is found in chapter chapter 18 ring of chaos.

when you are magnus, and you go to the area where you see the souflee and the hot spring, go left. (youll know what im talking about when magnus gives you a prompt about chasing rabbits). when you go left, a few monsters will probably be in your way. defeat them, and go inside a room with the weapon.

aries armour 1/2's all damage from enemies.
aquarius blade is a very fast attacking blade that is great for use if youlike to keep within 30 ft of the enemy. its also good a great forward dash attack.
:D.

i forgot the weapon i got in this area so please bear with me.
chapter 24 the 3 trials. at the start of the land phase, after you step on the platform and go down to fight the the sacred treasure (which looks alot like something from gundam force 0.o go right instead of left. done and done.

(please note that i have all of the above weapons and such, but i have forgotten about where i have gotten the others.
aside from those listed there, i have pisces heal, which is just an expensive version of the normal healing ability.)

Manafi101 said:
i found that kind of interesting too. the power of magnus club, plus pisces heal, and trade off is really quite incredible. i killed twin bellows on level 9 difficullty in about 5 hits.

oh yeah, my weapon of choice :D
dark pit staff
ranged:★★★★☆
melee:★★☆
shot defense +1
knockback defense +1
paralysis +1
speed +1
standing ch. shot +2
value: 268

solo verdict: simple, easy to use in air, or land, great range, great power, good melee, paralysis helps against the basic troops leading but to the bosses. i always survive on level 8 difficulty or higher on the levels i've tried.
multi player verdict: because its so well round, and proficient in range, and melee, i find this works best at a snipers point of view. the staff has such a long range (almost as long as the lazer staff), it has a fast charge rate (1.5-2 seconds charge time), gets more powerful the farther way you are from some one, andits forward and backwards charge shots are equally as efficient as each other, it makes fora really great weapon. the downside is when playing LvD, my team gets a bit pissed at me for having such a high value weapon. 1 v 1 matches are easier because i dont have to hold back.

Halo Club
ranged:★★★
melee:★★☆
overall defense +1
walking speed +1
standing charge shot +1
dash charge shot +3!?
value: 253

solo verdict: okay, good melee, fairly fast charge, SUPER POWERFUL EVASIVE ATTACKS?! overall defense... walking speed...
in other words, pretty versatile in defensive and offensive stances alike. same goes for the multiplayer verdict.

Aquarius blade
ranged:
melee:
melee defense +4
shaking +3
dash charge shot +3
value: 213
multiplayer verdict: i only really use this in free for all or 1v1 play styles.
a backward dash charge shot from this makes a great lure as it stays bouncing int the same spot for roughly 3 seconds. shaking is a great defensive measure as aiming isnt really much on and option for people using staves and blades alike. melee defense is really great, and helps if i want to get in close with an enemy. problem with this? NO FUCKING STATS TO ABUSE OTHER THAN THAT.

Aurum palm
ranged:★★★★★★
melee:
speed +4
dash continuous fre+2
value:256

solo verdict: its a palm with crazy power....
multiplayer verdictITS A PALM WITH CRAZY POWER, AND HOMING AND SPEED MODIFIERS AND PROMOTES CONTINUOUS FIRE A BLAH blah blah....
has 2 problems. sucks at melee, and has only 30 ft range for continuous fire.

viridi palm
ranged:
melee:
running speed +2
dash continuous fire +2
full health boost +5

solo verdict: shit range. thats it. other than that, its a great weapon.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm about half way through the 3D version of the NES Kid Icarus. I'm completely amazed at how much they were able to pull from this 8 bit game and put into Kid Icarus: Uprising. Like seriously, so far every single tiny detail that I've seen while playing through the NES version had an appearance in KI:U. Every enemy, every item, every weapon, every treasure, even down to the backgrounds and music in the levels so far. And I can definitely see where KI:U gets its overall difficulty from!! Talk about fanservice! I hope they do this for other games too.

Oh, and in case anyone has the 3DS NES Kid Icarus and need help getting through (because its freaking hard):
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Kid_Icarus
is a very detailed guide. You might want to skip the walkthrough, unless you don't mind, but its details on what items are and what they do and how to get them are invaluable.

One thing that I didn't find in the guide that helped me a ton though:
Reapers are not dangerous enemies. Reapettes are not dangerous enemies. They are very useful. In the first two worlds, all reapers are on platforms so they won't run up and attack you. Also, Reapettes will follow the exact same path every single time that they enter the screen. You can use this to your advantage by positioning Pit in such a way that every time the Reaper calls the Reapettes and they fly down into the screen, you just have to hold the B button for a moment to fire off 4 shots and kill all of them. Then, the Reaper calls out for them again, and you just keep repeating this process until you have the 20k, 50k, 100k, 200k points you need to get the Life Bar upgrade at the end of your level, AND enough hearts to buy whatever you need, AND enough kills to get the Arrow of Strength upgrade for whatever level you're on.

Because the Reapettes are 100% predictable, its incredibly easy to take 30 minutes to kill 300 or so and rack your score up to whatever you need it to be in the first 3 levels. By the time I got to the boss in 1-4 I had 2 extra Arrows of Strength, 3 extra life bars, a barrel with 2 potions in it, 2 feathers, and the Fairy Orbitars. I tried to get enough hearts and points by just shooting every single enemy, and beyond getting hit a ton of times I often would come up short even if I killed every single enemy in the level. This way, I just dodged most enemies I came across, unless I couldn't, and just got the points and hearts and kills I needed for all the fancy upgrades at the reapers. Since I took the time to grind so hard in the first world, all the levels since have been pretty easy. Once you take the ridiculous difficulty out of this game, its a pretty enjoyable romp kind of like MariomeetsZeldameetsMetroid, shooting enemies, jumping across platforms, dodging attacks, choosing the best item to buy at a shop.

Crossing my fingers for Ice Climber: Uprising!

Just beat the game and....
I had such a hard time with Hades it wasn't even funny. The part that killed me was when you had to shoot those blue targets and not shoot the purple targets. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I just could not aim and the blue targets kept on killing me. I had to drop down to 2.0 to beat it ._.

But I guess it's time to start on the Treasure Hunt!

hey, can someone tell me what the stars represent for weapons? do they raise the weaons power in ranged or melee shots?
Each weapon has a base power value for its Ranged and Melee attacks; each star is apparently a percentage boost to that value (the star outlines are presumably half a full star). The base values can vary significantly, mainly depending on weapon type. For example, a staff with many stars in Melee could still have weaker Melee attacks than a club with less stars.

---

Does anyone know if offering up hearts to the goddess actually does anything? I don't want to risk offering too many... and although she appears to walk closer with each offering, she never seems any closer.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
@Fisdunction

Truer than true. It's the reason why a couple of us have actually ended up finishing the stage on 9.0 instead of ignoring it like a bad dream. IT IS POSSIBLE THE CHANGE THE FUTURE (god I should stop playing FFXIII-2....)

---
Does anyone know if offering up hearts to the goddess actually does anything? I don't want to risk offering too many... and although she appears to walk closer with each offering, she never seems any closer.
Nope, it doesn't do anything. I know a guy who donated a million hearts to Palutena, expecting some sort of prize. (insert Willywonkayougetnothingspeech)

:evan:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)