In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed you guys have Tynamo in the low tier. Why is this? You get him in Chargestone cave just like Joltik, plus he has no weakness. Why is Tynamo so bad?

Tynamo's hard to train due to lulzy movepool and lulzy stats. Joltik comes out of the box with a few good moves and gets much better ones shortly after. That's probably the reasoning.

as far as tynamo goes he is okay once he evolves. as tynamo its pretty weak but it does do pretty well on the 6th gym if you get it to around 35~36(bordering being overleveled). his movepool apart from tms though is horrible. as tynamo and eelektross he doesn't learn anyhting but the 4 moves he has when you get him(eelektross can learn tms though). and tynamo can't learn any tms, you have to evolve him into eelektrik.

Tynamo really is not that bad. He has better coverage with Crunch coming off a 115 attack stat (E4 Psychic/Ghost) Dragon Claw and Wild Charge plus a no weaknesses and decent defenses compared to bug type's normally horrid defenses and two common-type weaknesses to Rock and Fire.

Remind me again why Joltik is in High tier while Tynamo is all the way down at low?

joltik is lightning fast(haha) and has great coverage with signal beam/thunder and can get out fast with volt switch. tynamo only has tackle, charge beam, spark, and thunder wave until it evolves 3 levels after joltik. it does have a better movepool later around the e4 but it takes a bit to get there and you really do need to get eelektross for him to do any good.
i could see tynamo moving to mid. he is a decent all around pokemon

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tynamo really is not that bad. He has better coverage with Crunch coming off a 115 attack stat (E4 Psychic/Ghost) Dragon Claw and Wild Charge plus a no weaknesses and decent defenses compared to bug type's normally horrid defenses and two common-type weaknesses to Rock and Fire.

Remind me again why Joltik is in High tier while Tynamo is all the way down at low?
Can we just pretend you never asked this question?

No, really, the answer is almost clear as day:

- Tynamo joins around Level 27.
- It has Tackle, Thunder Wave, Spark, and Charge Beam. WTF REALLY NOW!?!
- It's durability is piss poor with its Speed pretty bad (60).
- It doesn't evolve until Level 39

You would have to be blind not to understand why Tynamo is Low. IT BARELY BEATS DEINO AS WORST POKEMON FOR FUCKS SAKE.

I've been thinking about the Trubbish Line, I happened to have picked up a Garbodor during a nuzlock and I was quite surprised by how useful it was (soloed dragon gym and fighting elite).

Trubbish is basically trash for when you get it at 21-24 with the next gym up being ground.

Gabodor, not so much. In the double grass it came at 35-38 (actually above the trainers in the area.) Gets toxic at level 39, comes with stockpile, sludge bomb, and body slam IIRC. 50% chance of having black sludge has a wild held item. Levels really fast. Good stats all around for in-game. Stench is a decent ability (I flinch haxed Haxorus in the dragon gym.)

So my thoughts is trubbish is bottom of low tier (useless when its obtained), but Gabodor might actually be low mid tier (useful when its obtained.)

Are there any other pokés that can be obtained fairly early, but are trash, but can obtained at a later point and evolved where they're not trash?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can we just pretend you never asked this question?

No, really, the answer is almost clear as day:

- Tynamo joins around Level 27.
- It has Tackle, Thunder Wave, Spark, and Charge Beam. WTF REALLY NOW!?!
- It's durability is piss poor with its Speed pretty bad (60).
- It doesn't evolve until Level 39

You would have to be blind not to understand why Tynamo is Low. IT BARELY BEATS DEINO AS WORST POKEMON FOR FUCKS SAKE.
Not to mention that it has an encounter rate of under 10% (2% on two floors and 8% on the last one) so it's harder to find than Sigilyph...

Also, off-topic but so true:
Trubbish is basically trash

On my last playthrough, I would have preferred not to have evolved Trubbish. I was unfortunate to have a weak armour Garbodor and that destroyed any form of survivability. Trubbish was a solid player on the team, basically my only counter to the many grass types you run into, but it only had poison moves and stockpile/swallow/body slam. I didn't go through TMs, but its level up movepool leaves you exposed to steels, and for a defensive pokemon, having an ability that lowers your defence is a negative.

I do think Garbodor is one of the few pokemon whose evolution is worse than its preevo. Not Metapod/Kakuna/Silcoon/Cascoon bad, but that ability destroys any chance of being decent. Bottom tier is justified.

Stop comparing Sawk to HGSS Scyther. It is more like HGSS Pokewalker Kangaskhan.

They both have strong attack power and are of moderate speed. Scyther has amazing attack power and amazing speed.

They both come early but come with a condition (for Sawk, you must play Black. For Kangaskhan, you must not be playing with an emulator.) Scyther doesn't require any conditions and comes early enough as well.

They both help in the final battles. Admittedly Scyther does too.

I realized this has no point, but I would like to point this out.

I do think Garbodor is one of the few pokemon whose evolution is worse than its preevo. Not Metapod/Kakuna/Silcoon/Cascoon bad, but that ability destroys any chance of being decent. Bottom tier is justified.
Except Weak Armor isn't its only ability (Weak Armor does suck). But a fair amount of pokemon really want a certain ability to shine. Cinccino really wants Technician. Galvantula wants Compoundeyes.

Just pointing out that Tynamo has very similar stats to Joltik b4 it evolves, actually resists flying meaning it can potentially perform better in the 6th gym, and evolves only 3 lvls later. If its speed (base 60) is considered "pretty bad", then Joltik's (65) isn't much better. I'd hardly say there's such a huge barrier among them.

Not making a point about either pokemon's tiering, just stating some facts.

As other people were saying, even getting a Tynamo in the first place is ridiculously hard and time consuming, while Joltiks are in abundance. Also, Tynamo can't learn any other moves than its starting set, while Joltic can be taught Volt Switch and other moves.

Seriously, Tynamo is pretty bad. The only reason I used one in my playthrough because I wanted to get the electric lamprey, simple as that.

Except Weak Armor isn't its only ability (Weak Armor does suck). But a fair amount of pokemon really want a certain ability to shine. Cinccino really wants Technician. Galvantula wants Compoundeyes.
It is notable that it's pretty easy to test Joltiks for Compoundeyes, since Tension will activate at the start of a battle so you know it's there.

What are the thoughts on Venipede? I've been trying for a while in Pinwheel, but its starting moves are terrible, and Sewaddle trumps it almost completely at first. It's better against Burgh, and I'm sure Scolipede would be good with a blistering speed and a STAB Megahorn.. but is it a tough road to get there?

What are the thoughts on Venipede? I've been trying for a while in Pinwheel, but its starting moves are terrible, and Sewaddle trumps it almost completely at first. It's better against Burgh, and I'm sure Scolipede would be good with a blistering speed and a STAB Megahorn.. but is it a tough road to get there?
Venipede was hard to find, and it was also pretty hard for me to use at first. I had to force myself to use Screech once or twice before doing any significant damage. It's also good against Burgh's Leavanny, since it resists both its STABs, giving it enough time to Screech, then hit it hard with Poison Tail.

As a Whirlipede, it's meh, since Venipede's Attack doesn't go up by much when it evolves, but its Speed lowers and its defenses increase significantly. Base 55 Attack wasn't much, but at that point of the game, the BPs of Poison Tail and Bug Bite were decent enough to cause damage.

As Scolipede, base 90 Attack seems mediocre, but the sheer force behind STAB Megahorn is enough to make up for it, assuming you made Scolipede relearn it. It gets Rock Slide and Earthquake (the latter is found post-game, but the former is obtained in Mistralton Cave)

I trained up a Scolipede my last run through. At first, It took me forever to find a venipede (Idk why, 20% encounter rate..?) and I had to baby it a little. But after Poison Tail this thing is a boss. Once it evolves into Scolipede and you get megahorn (Definetly worth it) It's a total beast. Sadly it was not as useful as I wanted it to be at the elite four, it was 53 and failed to OHKO the Psychic girl's Solosis (Final Form).

So while it's VERY good for most of the game, it's base 90 attack just didn't cut it for me at the E4.

@TM13IceBeam: I'm not even gonna bother arguing with you, since you obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about. Mud-slap is a Sand-attack that deals damage, yet you somehow differentiate them. White players cannot realistically test Sawk, because it's almost unavailable to them. Me stating "Sawk should be placed above high tier" meant he should be in Uber, together with Archen&co. Rock Throw has 90% accuracy, not 100. I doesn't matter that Sawk cannot take on the wild pokemon in Pinwheel Forest, because it's stupid to make him face off against them (the Plasma Grunts and Rangers there, however, have Patrats, Sandile, Purloin, Herdier and the monkeys, all of which Sawk rapes upside down). Also, Sawk beats Hydreigon due to Sturdy, and relying on it isn't negative, since most pokemon rely on their abilities to be effective.
Lolwut.

I admit something was screwed on the Sand Attack/Mud Slap point, but you have been using your experience with Black to push Sawk up, which is wtf compared to the fact that White players cannot effectively rate Sawk. It's an interesting case, no doubt, because if assuming every single person here has Black, Sawk would be god tier, full-stop. However, if everyone here has White, Sawk would be way lower, for the main reason that it's annoying to acquire one in the first place. As for choosing who to use for your lead in Pinwheel, it's way faster to put Timburr there instead of having to switch out Sawk at every single wild Pokemon. Timburr likewise rapes Patrats, Sandiles, Herdiers, Purrloins and the monkeys upside down. You keep saying that Sawk beats Hydreigon due to Sturdy, but Sawk doesn't always have Sturdy.

You sir, are evading the question. Who do you use to counter Hydreigon when your Sawk has Inner Focus?

I used Scolipede my first playthrough, only because I happened to find a shiny Venipede.

The Venipede phase is almost pure babying. It can finally start to hold its own when it gets access to STAB moves beyond Poison Sting, but considering the is the period of game before Exp Share and Lucky Egg, I found it fairly annoying.

Whirlipede is just meh. Sure, STAB Poison Tail/Bug Bite with decent defenses, but it can hold its own and not much past that.

Scolipede doesn't come into its own until Megahorn, at which point it finally becomes decent. Before that you're working with low BP Moves (Poison Tail, Bug Bite, Bulldoze, etc) with mediocre Attack. It's great against random stuff at this point, but from my experience never truly excelled. It's a bit of a one-trick pony, a fast STAB Megahorn, but it's a damn good trick. It's not powerful enough to deal with the E4 though, and can die a bit fast. I think mine actually got outsped by the Hydreigon. It gets Swords Dance to set up, as well as EQ, but only after the E4.

It's decent enough to get away with if you really like it, but I was a bit underwhelmed with mine. I wouldn't put it past mid, due to a decent period of mediocrity, needing a few levels of babying when it's at its most obnoxious, and underwhelming performance against the E4. STAB Megahorn is strong and all, but it doesn't really have much past that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)