Double Battle for Seattle [VGC Warstory]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job, Diesel. Awesome team + detailed writeup = awesome

Couple of questions about that last battle. Why didn't you Self Destruct on Bronzong/Hippowdon instead of Body Slam? That would've killed Hippo and Bronzong probably dies to Shadow Punch even after a resisted boom.

Why the hell didn't Marowak EQ you instead of Rock Slide? I understand that he was praying for the flinch-hax on Snorlax (EQ might not have KO'd without a crit) but EQ is most probably a better choice than Rock Slide against Spiritomb?

Anyway, good luck in St. Louie!

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Bronzong would need piles of HP and Def EV to even have a chance at surviving Selfdestruct from a Belly Drum Snorlax. Shadow Punch would easily finished the job at that point.

I'm guessing the Marowak knew Bonemerang and not Earthquake. Probably since he didn't want to kill his ally with Earthquake.

I think I was a little caught up in the moment and didn't realize my Trick Room was ending the next turn. Had I known, I would certainly have sacrificed Snorlax. I'll edit that into the warstory.

And I'm inclined to agree with Team Rocket Elite about the Marowak. For some reason I also feel like it was Choice Banded, lol. I don't know why it would use Rock Slide on Spiritomb if it wasn't. I hope it had Thick Club though, losing to a CB Marowak would probably make me cut myself.

Thanks LGY!

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Based on how much damage it did with Rock Slide, assuming you put EVs into the Spiritomb's HP or Defense, it's Thick Club. If you put nothing into HP or Defense or those IVs were just really bad, it's Choice Band. If you put nothing into HP or Defense AND your IVs were 0, it's Muscle Band.

I think I was a little caught up in the moment and didn't realize my Trick Room was ending the next turn. Had I known, I would certainly have sacrificed Snorlax. I'll edit that into the warstory.
Unless you were wary of Protect or a Ghost switch, I think booming at that point would've been the better move regardless of Trick Room ending or not. 2 on 1 is decidedly better odds than 3 on 2 in most cases IMO. But that's just my theorymon. :p

Speaking of Protect, were there a lot of teams spamming that in fear of boom? Or did the weakening of Explosion/Self Destruct in doubles reduce the overall frequency of Explosion teams?

I'm guessing the Marowak knew Bonemerang and not Earthquake. Probably since he didn't want to kill his ally with Earthquake.
I just figured his team was designed around Levitate Bronzong and mass EQ spam a la Pokemon Colosseum since his Power Trick Shuckle utilized it.

LOL at the idea of CB Marowak though

Ah, boo, a huskie got high marks. Hope the winner was a coug, cougs rule!

In all seriousness, great battle and I'm sad I wasn't selected... I would have at least been a much better first round opponet...

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations on qualifying for St. Louis as it seems getting in was a thrill enough, but making it to finals is even nicer.

Was there any exact count on how many were in the raffle? and intriguing that your first round opponent at least got in but another worthy contender did not.

Edit: I see in other warstory topic that there was 250 that registered for the senior event. :eek:

Congrats Diesel, I'm looking forward to hearing about your future trip to St. Louis! Nice write-up and everything as well.

I was also thinking you'd explode but it seems Snorlax should have lived the rock slide/gyro ball if not for the flinch, did you bother to check?

Thanks, all!

Team Rocket Elite - Oh okay, good. *shudder* I should have just ran those damage calcs, I only ran them for Snorlax. Still don't know why he'd be using an attack without full accuracy. :/

LGY - Well it really wouldn't have been a two-on-one. I guess maybe I could have prayed he'd be using a pokemon without a move that would hit both mine. Regardless, that wasn't the case. Plus if Trick Room wasn't ending Snorlax would have self-destructed the next turn for the win, which would have been nearly impossible to stop without a powerful priority move or really really slow pokemon. But yea, I wish I had that move back.

Goodbar - I don't think it would have lived the Rock Slide, especially with Dusknoir dying (doubled the power of rock slide, I think). I'm very sure it would have lived a Gyro Ball though, which would have a tiny tiny base power since their speeds are so close.

EE - Thanks! I'll PM you about Cuddles today or tomorrow. I think 250 is a fair guess, I might say a little less. But yea, good thing I got in! :D

Ubers are awesome - Leave it to a Cougar to spell Husky wrong :P

die eter - Thanks :)

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Good job Diesel, I hope I can get a lucky opponent on my first round like that. I also watched the final match, good job but Hypnosis missing was lame.

Congrats on second. Sad about the unluckiness in the final round, but a good strategy. It's this kind of thing that makes me wish i lived closer to a host site (I wonder if they'll ever come to Baton Rouge, then I'll be happy) :)

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for writing this up, and sorry for your bad luck in the finals. Good luck in St. Louis!

Congrats Diesel for you second place finish. Sorry Cougs fans for not being able to represent for the Coug family. I was taken out in the final top 16 by Team Rocket Elite brother. At lease I have a better idea on how to prep for next year since this was my first time doing a competitive pokemon battle.

Well, at least we're not pokemon nerds. I mean that really makes a good university-being a pokemon nerd. Meanwhile, were actually doing usefull things.

However, for this one time, I will say that I'm glad the huskys have a better medicine wing, they helped my autistic sister.

Now that I complimented the huskies, I need to wash out my mouth-err, keyboard-with soap

Very good story, and Congrats.

The kid who got to the finals by luck beat me to get there and stole my place. I did indeed lose to his 'luck' and he trapped my dusknoir with Destiny bond out of fear at the end of our battle. He was the one leading with rigirock and gengar.

While we battled, his father was unknowingly talking to mine, and he told him that his son would have an easy match because he was playing a girl. Hum.

Anyway, I missed at least twice with vital attacks when I battled him.

DawnBringer

The thrill of attempting to get what you will neve
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gratz Diesel, shame about not winning and the luck.
Great overall performance otherwise, and Nintendo should stop hating on Canada.

That. Was. Awesome.

It makes double battles seem appealing to me!

But you played great, and it was awesome reading this.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You are such a baller and these stories were great!

GL in St. Louis. I'm throwing 5 stars on and pushing for Archives easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)