DOU Effective Cores

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Oh forgot to mention always make every mon you can male because im a shitter who thinks men are better than women cuz kangaskhan and cresselia both HAVE to be female and therefore mons using attract / captivate will auto-pick male

relevant meta preparation right here friends

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
use this instead of 252/252/4

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Mega Gardevoir: 286-337 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I like the core tho
No that's still bad eving for what's relevant :p
Gardevoir has insane special bulk and pumping HP when Def could be used is generally bad

Use 72 HP / 184 Def / 252 SpA imo
72 HP ensures surviving Aeg's Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon, rest into def. You live Brave Bird with ease here and also just take physical hits quite well. Heck if you can get a burn on Mega Metagross (or 2 intimidates)...
252 Atk Tough Claws burned Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 72 HP / 184 Def Mega Gardevoir: 237-279 (80.3 - 94.5%)

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
No that's still bad eving for what's relevant :p
Gardevoir has insane special bulk and pumping HP when Def could be used is generally bad

Use 72 HP / 184 Def / 252 SpA imo
72 HP ensures surviving Aeg's Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon, rest into def. You live Brave Bird with ease here and also just take physical hits quite well. Heck if you can get a burn on Mega Metagross (or 2 intimidates)...
252 Atk Tough Claws burned Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 72 HP / 184 Def Mega Gardevoir: 237-279 (80.3 - 94.5%)
Can't tell if Mega Metagross is just that shit or Gardevoir mega is just that bulky...

edit: o wait the calc is burned ok

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Alright let's get some more strong cores in here

MEGAGROSS IS SHIT (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Roseli Berry (Scrafty) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out

Minspeed base 110 for trick room.
Alright before everyone shits on me let me explain.

Mega Diancie can't be taunted or spore'd, two of setters' (especially secondary setters) biggest weaknesses. In its unmega form it has excellent bulk (see Stratos' normal diancie setter for reference). If you use another potential mega, then it can be incredibly difficult for your opponent to be able to tell what the fuck your team is, potentially giving you good leads / their mispredictions turn 1. 208 speed is enough to minspeed all the relevant meta threats except amoonguss (which you aren't going to be minspeeding anyways) and I guess sylveon.

I think the strongest aspect of this core is its surprise factor. Many people will just double tect cuz they don't expect a diancie to be setting any field conditions.
In addition, timing your mega-evolve rather than just auto-evolving first turn allows you to take advantage of your bulk AND your offensive capabilities, along with potentially bouncing a burn/taunt.

Incoming "Check you're batshit crazy"

Oh another thing to note is that you will be minspeeding your own Scrafty in non-mega form which means you need to watch out for proc'ing sitrus berry with diamond storm before using knock off.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
one problem with your core: it's really bad now that it's public

I do like your tr setting ideas tho, just keep the surprising ones secret until everyone knows about em :]

Oh also this is mostly good cuz of how offensive meta is atm

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
one problem with your core: it's really bad now that it's public

I do like your tr setting ideas tho, just keep the surprising ones secret until everyone knows about em :]

Oh also this is mostly good cuz of how offensive meta is atm
Yeah but now everytime I bring diancie everyone will be secondguessing their own asses

In celebration of Hoopa Unbound being... unbound... by a banning, :P I've got a Hoopa core for you guys.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 192 Atk / 140 SpA / 176 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

So these two have a lot of synergy. First off, Fake Out. Kangaskhan is free to hit powerful fake outs, as Hoopa discourages protects. That makes these two a really solid lead. In addition, with some speed control, Hoopa can beat almost all the fighting and ghost types that give Kangaskhan trouble, especially Aegislash. Kangaskhan with Low Kick beats a lot of the dark types that give Hoopa trouble, that Kang doesn't kill in a timely manner with pup, such as Hydreigon, Darkrai, etc. Also, Kangaskhan's return hits a lot of physically frail fairy types for big damage. The third slot on Hoopa's set can be swapped out for something else, but on the team I use it on, Trick Room is pretty clutch. These two should be supplemented with additional speed control, as most, if not all, Hoopa teams should.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
s/o to Fangame10

Pretty standard tr core, lead chand+scrafty or chand+amoonguss (depending on if they have fake out) and then proceed to take advantage of trick room
Infiltrator on chand for breaking through aegis/heatran subs*
Scrafty is a good switchin on kang
Amoonguss mental herb catches people running thundurus in their tracks
An important thing to watch out for is scrappy fake out from kang, which can still hit chand and break its sash
Also, anticipate taunt and just click your attacking moves if you know it's coming and you can't avoid it
These three also have good typing coverage and provide good switchins for each other, while also having good offensive coverage
Focus Sash Chand lets you live water/dark/ground moves so that you don't get ohko'd before setting up tr

F-117 Nighthawk (Chandelure) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave
- Trick Room
- Protect

F-16 Eagle (Scrafty) @ Assault Vest / Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / High Jump Kick / Protect / Stone Edge
- Fake Out

M1 Abrhams (Amoonguss) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain
- Protect

edit:
[16:49] @SpaceBass:Check why have you slashed HJK on a trick room set that already has drain punch when the best way to stall room with tect

[16:51] checkmater: space it's because after they tect you can hjk into that slot with ease
[16:51] checkmater: since they're stalling your fc with tect
[16:51] checkmater: you can hjk after
[16:51] checkmater: y/y?

too lazy to retype explanation and weird things happened with the formatting
apparently this is bitchlogging or something idgaf

Last edited:

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt / Gunk Shot
- Trick Room
- Protect

Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head / Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

A trick room core I've been using recently that seems to work really well. Hoopa destroys Aegislash for Mawile and Mawile destroys fairies for Hoopa. Mawile also resists fairy and bug, hoopas only two weaknesses. I put gunk shot and knock off as slashes because they are what I use on my team as have other good fairy-killing options. And I wanted another way to beat Aegislash. I don't like special/mixed Hoopa but then again I haven't used it that much so that may be more effective. I paired this core with rotom w because Mawile is weak to ground + fire and rotoms grass weakness is helped by Mawile and gunk shot on Hoopa. This core is definitely worth trying.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp / Disable
- Protect

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 160 HP / 16 Def / 148 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz / Giga Drain
- Protect

I've been using these two lately with various different kinds of teams ranging from full HO to some more gimmicky Scarf Goth / Scarf Rotom double trapping shenanigans, and I find they work well together. This isn't so much of an offensive core, as Gengar doesn't beat most of the things that Volcarona has trouble with, rather the fast offensive trapping combined with Gengars access to Will-O-Wisp helps Volcarona set up some Quiver Dances by crippling some of the Physical threats, while trapping bad matchups for free setup. Volcarona is super bulky on the special side after 1/2 Quiver Dances, but some Intimidate would also be appreciated to further support its weak physical bulk. Disable can be used on Gengar to protect and stop things that are trapped using optimal moves, aiding setup, and Giga Drain can be used on Volcarona depending on the rest of your team if the coverage suits it.

One of the better parters I found for these two was the Azumarill set that Pocket posted in the analysis thread. The calcs below explain why a spread of 220 HP / 148 Atk / 140 Def with an Adamant Nature works with this core as opposed to the max attack set, because the two have an issue with Talonflame and Lando-T (Azu is obviously not used to counter Talonflame or Lando-T, this just helps in a pinch and the physical bulk is nice). I didn't include Azumarill in this core but it works very well. A way to deal with Landorus-T safely is also a good idea with these two.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 240-283 (60.6 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 249-294 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Can BDrum comfortably against Landorus-T even after eating a critical hit STAB EQ (56.8 - 66.9%)

252+ Atk Landorus-T Explosion vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 248-292 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the s/o SpaceBass :] Mega Gengar is ridiculously good at supporting set-up sweepers in gerneral imo. Azumarill also appreciates M Gengar's trapping abilities for an opportunistic drum. CM Cress can also set up for days if lil shit like Amoonguss and Keldeo are trapped.

PS: oo, heal pulse goth is next meta ;d

Last edited:

SpaceBass

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Charm
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 220 HP / 148 Atk / 140 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
- Protect

Dammit Pocket now you got me thinking about trapping. I felt the Azumarill you posted deserved some representation because it does work really well.

May aswell post the other thing I've been playing with as it seems to work. I was trying to use semi Trick Room and I was bored of Cress so I tried using Heal Pulse / Charm Goth support Azumarill and Talonflame. Azumarill in Trick Room has already been shown to be good, but with a bulkier than usual set alongside Goth using Heal Pulse it becomes incredibly difficult to stop. Also now Play Rough becomes effective because Azu's low speed lets it move before most Dragons while Room is up. Once Heal Pulse is revealed, the opponent will know that trying to stall out Trick Room turns with Protect will be punished with free heal for Azu, putting on pressure. When Trick Room runs out, Goth will have an easier time setting it again knowing that Azu can still use priority to protect it. Talonflame can come in once Azu is set up, and deal with opposing Grass types that would threaten Azu. While in Trick Room, Talonflames Brave Bird will usually move first anyway, but as Trick Room is up, Goth can usually move next and use Heal Pulse on Talonflame, healing off the residual damage from Life Orb and recoil moves.

SpaceBass

Got them from Pockets post on the Azumarill QC thread.

220 EVs in HP give Azumarill 396 points, which is the highest number to limit residual damage while maximizing recovery from Sitrus.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 240-283 (60.6 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Not even CB Talonflame can OHKO Azumarill at 75%
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 249-294 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • a bit riskier, since Kanga can easily be Adamant, but Jolly Return fails to inflict 75% to Azumarill. More of an illustrative purpose than a practical one
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 150-177 (37.8 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • Can BDrum comfortably against Landorus-T even after eating a critical hit STAB EQ (56.8 - 66.9%)
252+ Atk Landorus-T Explosion vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 248-292 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Exploding Lando-T in an attempt to botch BDrum set up will fail at max health

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
thread revival train coming thru

me when building tr...
hmm. Ok. We need some fake out... so let's bring scrafty. But I also want kangaskhan. But if I use kangaskhan I lose a lot of the nice scrafty matchups and intiimdate.
Then I was like wait.
WHY NOT BOTH?

4052739537881 (Scrafty) @ Life Orb / Assault Vest / Safety Goggles / Lum Berry / Sitrus Berry / Weakness Policy
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch / Low Kick
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick / Iron Head / Poison Jab / Protect / Snarl / Smack Down

139583862445 (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge / Return / Facade
- Hammer Arm / Low Kick / Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

The central idea of this core is flexibility, flexibility, and flexibility.

I've been using it in seasonals a lot and playing around with in other teams. It's a trick room core, obviously, with two fake out mons. Now, why two fake out mons? Well, I'm so glad you asked! Double fake out gives you excellent flexibility while also enabling you not have to just preserve your scrafty like it's precious metal while losing momentum on switches. In addition, it lets you not have to run badmon Cresselia (which is bad don't even get me started lmao) and gives you a solid bisharp answer (kang sucker is slower than bisharp sucker, you ohko it, etc etc). Kangaskhan is also really strong because it's immune to fake out, in a sense, and pairing it with a ghost setter enables your lead to be completely immune to fake out. Scrappy Kang can be rather annoying, but since your kang as a good matchup vs opposing kang (hammer arm is a ohko) assuming they use PuP you should be fine. Perhaps my favorite thing about this core is that you get to, rather easily, get the second set in many matches, which can secure the victory very handily. In many cases, the added extremely nice flexibility makes maneuvers easier and much more straightforward.

Set Details:

scrafty:
standard scrafty, you can run w/e the first option of each slash is what I run though because d a m a g e and also it's nice to get guaranteed sacs with scrafty clearing the way for your other trick room sweepers to take advantage of 4 turns of being first. Low Kick is a cool option I saw recently, but doesn't hit diancie.
If you're a real baller you can lead kang scrafty and then sidepup with weakness policy doe.

Kang:
p standard, except I personally use double edge ever since I learned return doesn't ohko keldeo (like w0t???). Also gives you kos on everything designed to live kang return (sylveon, char y, etc)
Hammer arm because then you can hit diancie for 80%+, also gives you speed flexibility against trick room mirror and opposing slowmons.
the evs let you live a keldeo secret sword.
Also:
-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 44 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 306-360 (92.7 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
This is changed to base 160 to account for fake out but being able to fake out and then double edge a landorus-therian and get a ko some % of the time is really nice

Offensive/Defensive Synergy:

Ok, two fighting weaks isn't nice, that's true. But since both your setters should (hopefully) have good fighting resists/matchups you should be fine. You can also run more fighting resists/answers on your team if you want
In terms of offensive synergy, their synergy is huge. First of all, scrafty gets rekt by fairies, kang says hello I beat all fairies.
Also if you predict a double protect and switch your fake out user while they tect then welp they jsut tect'ed now you can use your fake out for huge momentum (other than setting tr if that's not applicable)

sidenotes: scrafty kinda looks like minikang in a sense and that's adorable.
also I tried not to make this just me gushing about how strong individually the mons are and rather their interrelationships and synergy

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
thread revival train coming thru

me when building tr...
hmm. Ok. We need some fake out... so let's bring scrafty. But I also want kangaskhan. But if I use kangaskhan I lose a lot of the nice scrafty matchups and intiimdate.
Then I was like wait.
WHY NOT BOTH?

4052739537881 (Scrafty) @ Life Orb / Assault Vest / Safety Goggles / Lum Berry / Sitrus Berry / Weakness Policy
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch / Low Kick
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick / Iron Head / Poison Jab / Protect / Snarl / Smack Down

139583862445 (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge / Return / Facade
- Hammer Arm / Low Kick / Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

The central idea of this core is flexibility, flexibility, and flexibility.

I've been using it in seasonals a lot and playing around with in other teams. It's a trick room core, obviously, with two fake out mons. Now, why two fake out mons? Well, I'm so glad you asked! Double fake out gives you excellent flexibility while also enabling you not have to just preserve your scrafty like it's precious metal while losing momentum on switches. In addition, it lets you not have to run badmon Cresselia (which is bad don't even get me started lmao) and gives you a solid bisharp answer (kang sucker is slower than bisharp sucker, you ohko it, etc etc). Kangaskhan is also really strong because it's immune to fake out, in a sense, and pairing it with a ghost setter enables your lead to be completely immune to fake out. Scrappy Kang can be rather annoying, but since your kang as a good matchup vs opposing kang (hammer arm is a ohko) assuming they use PuP you should be fine. Perhaps my favorite thing about this core is that you get to, rather easily, get the second set in many matches, which can secure the victory very handily. In many cases, the added extremely nice flexibility makes maneuvers easier and much more straightforward.

Set Details:

scrafty:
standard scrafty, you can run w/e the first option of each slash is what I run though because d a m a g e and also it's nice to get guaranteed sacs with scrafty clearing the way for your other trick room sweepers to take advantage of 4 turns of being first. Low Kick is a cool option I saw recently, but doesn't hit diancie.
If you're a real baller you can lead kang scrafty and then sidepup with weakness policy doe.

Kang:
p standard, except I personally use double edge ever since I learned return doesn't ohko keldeo (like w0t???). Also gives you
Hammer arm because then you can hit diancie for 80%+, also gives you speed flexibility against trick room mirror and opposing slowmons.
the evs let you live a keldeo secret sword.
Also:
-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 44 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 306-360 (92.7 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
This is changed to base 160 to account for fake out but being able to fake out and then double edge a landorus-therian and get a ko some % of the time is really nice

Offensive/Defensive Synergy:

Ok, two fighting weaks isn't nice, that's true. But since both your setters should (hopefully) have good fighting resists/matchups you should be fine. You can also run more fighting resists/answers on your team if you want
In terms of offensive synergy, their synergy is huge. First of all, scrafty gets rekt by fairies, kang says hello I beat all fairies.
Also if you predict a double protect and switch your fake out user while they tect then welp they jsut tect'ed now you can use your fake out for huge momentum (other than setting tr if that's not applicable)

sidenotes: scrafty kinda looks like minikang in a sense and that's adorable.
also I tried not to make this just me gushing about how strong individually the mons are and rather their interrelationships and synergy
i'll tell you why not both. first, you say that you don't want to lose the nice scrafty matchups and intimidate. then why are you using kangaskhan? just use scrafty. this core doesnt synergize well at all, offensively or defensively. okay sure you can say "well let me just add some TEAMAMTES ", but then that defeats the core's purpose in the first place. the core just becomes 2 random mons that contradict eachother for the most part. you might as well be running 2 mienshaos. the purpose of a core in doubles is to have one member patch up the weaknesses of the other (and vise versa) and then build around that to adjust to the threats of the metagame. what you're posting is literally just 2 mons that have no business being paired together.

also what are you sets. yea scrafty gets that NICE ACCESS LMAO but why are you using so many slashes. what is the justification behind poison jab. i don't understand, and i think that you could really work to improve some of your explanations. i mean the multiple slashes are probably a joke but honestly, a new user would probably look at these sets and go ahead and say "HOOOOLY shit im not playing this tier.... too CONFUSING!". hint: this is the last thing we want.

flexibility? alright, i guess. but honestly, why are you intentionally wasting team slots with two fake out users? some of how you explain it makes it seem like a good idea in concept, but it's really not that way in reality. you mention that you need to protect scrafty like a precious metal. why do you need to do this? is scrafty completely 100% essential to your win every time? i'll save you some time and tell you that the answer to that is no.

i think that a much better partner to scrafty on tr would be something like cresselia that hits fighting types, or maybe nonmega diancie which can kill talonflame and whatnot.

i'm not trying to bash you or make you feel like poop, i just don't want new players to waltz into this thread and then think that this is what a good core is.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Can't tell if actually just shitposting for likes or really trying to call me out/criticize the core :/

All the slashes on scrafty are legitimate options depending on how you've built your team/your playstyle. For example, pjab is nice coverage on azumarill. Iron head hits diancie. Snarl is good too in different contexts, basically all those coverage options work depending on team/playstyle

Uhm idk if you could be bothered to look through replays but I'm had a lot of games using this core vs hyper offense and it's almost always done well, barring my own stupid chokes/misplays/getting predicted hard repeatedly. You can check out ssnls games or the tour finals if you want.

How is having two fake out users a "waste"? You're getting two mons that are already inherently strong on trick room and getting more utility. Please Eli5 why you don't want more fake out on a team centralized around setting field conditions.

Really can't tell if you're actually trying to diss this core or just farming likes cuz #fuckcheck but I suppose I have to take this seriously.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
the two pokemon really aren't a good core tho

xzern is probably augmenting exactly how bad they are together; they can probably be quite easily placed together on a highly functioning team. That doesn't mean they synergize well, which is the idea of a good core. You won't often be switching your Kangaskhan out to Scrafty or vice versa, and you won't be killing Kangaskhan's counter with Scrafty. Those are the ideas of defensive and offensive synergy, respectively. Their weaknesses and resistances stack badly and/or unnecessarily. A slow core with two bulky Pokemon should by no means have two Fighting weaknesses and two ghost immunities / resistances.

Also all those slashes on Scrafty really are not necessary (and not the best?). Low Kick shouldn't be used over Drain Punch ever, and the fourth moveslot should probably be Ice Punch / Stone Edge (maybe/ Protect). All those other options are considered niche and rightly so; niche move options shouldn't be on an overall core showcase.

Cores have always been mainly about typing synergy, either offensively or defensively, and this core is just really terrible in that regard. To repeat myself, this DOES NOT mean that the two Pokemon won't be functioning well on an otherwise synergized team.

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
time to pretend this forum thread isn't a compendium of me posting cores and other people deciding to try to shit on me for free likes

This was good in skymin era but I think it's still strong af now

Do your own ev spreads tho for jelly cuz my jelly set is chockful of innovation too strong for this thread community to handle

Fat @ Safety Goggles / Mental Herb / Focus Sash / w/e
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD // yfw jelly set had 104 evs in attack.. sigh.. brought that to like everything b4 I realized
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Trick Room
- Protect

Secretly Muslim @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Protect / Earthquake

/o\ @ Safety Goggles / Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect / Substitute

Wow look at the offensive and defensive synergy! Look at those resists that complement each other! Look at that offensive coverage that also covers each other!

But srsly set trick room and then once your get heatran+aboma in you've got X amount of tr turns to sweep your opp. Substitute eruptran if baller and because no one will see it coming (I've been in a lot of situations where I wished I was this baller but I'm not so..). You don't really have a benchmark for ice shard without skymin but if it ever comes back it was 184 atk. Hydro pump on jelly because you don't need scald when you have wisp and more damage = better. You can cover aegis with sball if you really want but it's not necessary. Watch out for wide guard when playing, and move accordingly if you see it coming. Heat wave if for when you're <63% hp or if you think you're going to be taking damage and don't want your eruption to do 2%.

In terms of team synergy besides the sexy coverage heatran really struggles against rain in general so abomasnow resets the weather condition and makes your eruptions stop doing piss for damage.

If hail doesn't chip on an opp you know they're goggles

Also you can wisp your own heatran to give it ffire if you have nothing to wisp on the field.

Mega Aboma is an option, but (c/p from reply to pastel)
The thing is, mega aboma only gains bulk over lo aboma, not damage, which rarely came into play for me. A lot of the SE hits still ohko mega aboma (ie fire attacks, talon bbird iirc)
Mega aboma is definitely an option tho, as it lets you be able to tank neutral hits such as draco and kanga hits better, and there are some steel hits (such as metagross iron head?, and others) that you can live

just realized these were janky speed ivs I were testing, also fixed that.

Last edited:
Physical defensive jelli is better, imo. Also, substitute eruptran is bad. Imo, goggles tran with Heat Wave/Earth Power/Flash Cannon/Protect would be much better, because it gives you better checks to amoonguss and fairies, which full tr can have some trouble with. Though, I guess you could run Eruption, if you feel like you're already well-enough covered

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Not bashing your core, but why Life Orb Abomasnow over Mega? To me Mega Abomasnow would fulfill the same role but would have better stats all around, making Life Orb completely outclassed. Do use that core with another Mega?

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
why not just run max atk / spa on snow?_? it's not like 252 hp is buying you any lives you don't already get with snow

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Yes I do use this core with another mega.

The thing is, mega aboma only gains bulk over lo aboma, not damage, which rarely came into play for me. A lot of the SE hits still ohko mega aboma (ie fire attacks, talon bbird iirc)
Mega aboma is definitely an option tho

edit: put that into the post, also added nicks
edit2: i don't use maxatk cuz idk it'd only be helping against something netting chip with ice shard and never really comes up. Getting 1% or something extra isn't really important

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)