Diablo III

But first you gotta have money to make money, lol. I can't seem to get my bank account to stay above 15K, and I keep spending it to expand the stash and train the artisans XD

I bothered to play a little yesterday, kinda wishing I was less lazy. Still using basically the same shit gear I AHed shortly after they nerfed Force Armor but managed to kill Inferno Belial on first try of night fairly easily(I had some trouble with him a few days ago when I tried because I was like half asleep and couldn't seem to remember I needed to coast to the side before he used his breath attack to avoid getting one shot). Act 3 has been surprisingly easy still in the same shit gear so I'm kinda wishing I'd bothered to do this like two weeks ago when I could have when there would have been real money in it. Got slowed down a little in hold by super fun soul ripper packs and also a pack of some other shit with waller/vortex fire chains/plagued directly in front of the entrance of a floor which was super fun but otherwise hasn't been as tough as expected.

Really wish my gear was better though I'm like just under 21k damage unbuffed -_-

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Question for fellow wizards.

If I use this build, should I be going for a one-hand + off-hand or a two-hander? I'm level 32 right now, so I may try Piercing Orb next level. If it works really brilliantly I may even be able to drop Arcane Orb for something else. I use Arcane Hydra a lot and Blizzard when theres a huge group of mobs, but otherwise I mainly spam Arcane Orb and Magic Missile.

Also, just starting Nightmare, so what kind of stats should I be aiming for (Int, Vit, damage, movement speed, etc)?

Generally 2handers give you higher base damage (the average of which is used for most spell calculations) while 1h+2h gives you significantly higher attack speed (which increases dps from spells that aren't resource capped and increases projectile speed). Generally in cases where spells benefit reasonably from both base damage and AS it's better to have a 1H+OH if all items are of the same quality.

With the offensive spells in your build:

Arcane Orb: scales better with 2handers. The projectile speed increase on a 1h makes it easier to hit but wouldn't advise making a decision based on that unless you're having trouble. If you can just stand there and cast infinitely it'll still be a DPS upgrade to use more AS in most cases but that doesn't tend to be realistic so if you're running and casting at all you get a lot more out of doing more damage per shot with the 2h.

Magic Missle: All primaries scale better with 1h as a general rule for pure dps because you aren't resource capped with them; spamming more of them increases your damage more than the difference in damage per spell between weapon types. However, if you're not getting a significant # of casts off without running away you'll get more out of the 2hander since you do more damage/cast.

Hydra: Hydra's ticks don't come faster with AS but it's damage is influenced by it, so the size of each tick will be bigger the faster your AS (it's easier to see how this works by equipping/unequipping AS jewelry). 1h is slightly better for him. This becomes more true once you get Venom Hydra because you want it hitting as often as possible before mobs move as it has a damage stack mechanic based on location.

Blizzard: Blizzard scales 0 with AS. I don't really understand the thought on it mechanically. It neither gets faster or bigger ticks by having your AS higher; it doesn't use the stat at all. As such, it's always better to use a 2h with Blizzard unless you're somehow getting more DPS from a 1h/OH combo(in which case it'd be better for every other spell in the game as well).

I would just see what you can get a good deal on since two of your spells are a little better with 2h and two are a little better with 1h.

Oh, missed second question originally. You want as much Int as you can get on every slot. That's really all you ~~NEED~~ to worry about until halfway through Hell or so when stuff starts getting harder, but here's some general rules that apply later on more that you may as well apply early:
1. Movement speed on boots is incredibly powerful if you need to kite at all. It's worth losing a bunch of Int for if you have to if you have to kite a lot. Get at least 10% but preferably 12% as soon as you start struggling at all.
2. If you're using at least two spells that benefit from Attack Speed I would strongly suggest getting Increased Attack Speed on your rings and amulet. The impact on your character sheet DPS is a little misleading when you do but it's still a really cost-efficient DPS upgrade.
3. There's several other secondary stats that are good. As far as DPS the only other meaningful upgrade is if you can get a few Crit % items and a crit damage item, but that's not realistic until 60 probably. Vitality is the best secondary stat(you need a reasonable about of it for Force Armor to work now), followed by Resistance to All Elements which you don't start seeing much until higher levels, which is essentially a more cost efficient bonus Armor property that helps you get more out of your vitality. While leveling I tend to be partial to +Experience per kill over every stat but movement speed and Int.
4. Try to always have a socket in your Helm so you an exploit the excellent helm socket bonus thingies. The Red bonus -- the experience one -- is the best while leveling but at 60 you'll want to switch to the purple one, %life.

For kiting in general, even with the use of blizzard, I personally would always say to go 1h + orb and maximize your attack speed.

Increasing your attack speed allows you to cast your blizzard/other spells much faster, which in conjunction with movement speed boots allows you to run and kite MUCH easier. It also makes stutter stepping much more powerful.

I got bored in the middle of it I expect a dramatic reading of everything in the post via mumble

EDIT: I bothered to read it but you should probably read it to me anyway. I feel like now group play will almost certainly be too easy instead of too hard but I guess that's a better alternative. Excited to see impact of increased repair costs on Cath.

Might not want to stack too much attack speed now until we see how effective it is after 1.03.

It seems like whichever solution they choose to nerf attack speed, it will probably be retroactive.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
yay, i might be able to progress through inferno now :3

not looking forward to those repair costs though, melee still taking the short end of the stick on that one.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
my main character is a dh and trust when i say that i am dreading it just as much as you

really looking forward to most of the other changes though. i havent bothered joining any group games since i hit inferno, but group play is the whole point imo - glad to see they are making it viable.

attack speed nerf is interesting, gonna hold off on buying any major ias gear until the patch is released.

i anticipate great things. ALSO reiterating that if anyone here is on EU i am keen for some co-op cause farming alone is boring as hell

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
haha WHAT. is that really the main thing you are taking from that post? dont really care about the gameplay balancing and high-level item distribution..? naw, combining flawed gems is where the action is at

xenu

Banned deucer.
i've been playing a monk for the past few days - i really like it better than the WD, despite what everyone says about the melee classes being underpowered. i don't miss poison dart kiting at all, jumping headfirst into mobs really gives literal meaning to 'hack n slash' and just seems overall more enjoyable. spirit is slow to regenerate but doesn't seem as awfully limiting as mana: your abilities are still available in the thick of battle and have a greater effect.

@any other monks in here, what stats should i prioritize? currently i'm stacking dex and vit + str, but i'm still in normal so my stat choices aren't really having a big impact.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know where else to post this but where the fuck is the E3 2012 thread..

edit: nvm im blind

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
melee classes definitely aren't underpowered in normal or nightmare. it isn't until hell act 3/4 and especially inferno that you start getting bent over by trash mobs.

haha WHAT. is that really the main thing you are taking from that post? dont really care about the gameplay balancing and high-level item distribution..? naw, combining flawed gems is where the action is at
Hahaha. Most of this stuff hasn't impacted me yet, so I can't comprehend the effects of the changes. I'm not Level 60, not in Inferno, haven't had the Nephalem Valor buff, etc etc etc. Meanwhile the gem thing as I mentioned is a pretty substantial change to something that AFAIK has been constant since the first days of D2 twelve years ago.

xenu

Banned deucer.
so i figured out a way to make zombie dogs/pets semi-viable, at least through hell. a combination bad medicine + rabid dogs (to proc bad medicine), jungle fortitude and zombie handler reduces the damage zdogs take by a whopping 40% from passives alone, provided you can keep consistent poison damage on all the mobs (locust swarm is excellent for this, so is the gargantuan runed with big stinker), and also increases the max hp of pets by 20%, making them a whole lot tankier.

int is obviously the main stat in this built, providing damage and all-too-important resistances, which your pets inherit. vit is not important as your pets don't scale with it, so instead i use strength for the armor and dex for the dodge (up to a cap), poison/fire resists for plagued and molten mobs, resists in general and on-hit ccs (stun, freeze, etc).

zombie handler can be subbed out for fierce loyalty if you plan to use hp5 or thorn items, and leeching beasts can also be used on dogs if you can provide enough poison support with locust swarm/acid cloud.

so far my pets are doing fine in hell and can p much tank everything in nightmare, and they may even work in inferno act 1, though i haven't reached there yet. still working out some stuff, will post the finished built when it's done.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
RMAH is now and holy shit people are actually buying stuff, which is shocking. i just took a look at some weapons, a 1 hand 1200 dps wep sold for like $250... shiiiiit. gotta start farming shit.

I just got this game yesterday, and I wish I got it earlier. It's very very fun, my first Diablo game, but the main reason is this real money auction thing. What the fuck? Pay 60 bucks for the game, get your money back and more possibly from this if you put enough time into it. Pretty damn crazy.

I just got this game yesterday, and I wish I got it earlier. It's very very fun, my first Diablo game, but the main reason is this real money auction thing. What the fuck? Pay 60 bucks for the game, get your money back and more possibly from this if you put enough time into it. Pretty damn crazy.
Technically since you get double screwed on cuts (one to Blizz and another to take it out from blizz into paypal from my understanding, and that's not going into the fact you technically have to report it on taxes), I can't see it being that profitable in the future barring very rare items. But yeah, for now since it's all brand new, definitely be a decent moneymaker if you've been saving lol. Would've been my sole reason for getting it if I'd bought Diablo 3.

Now if only WoW would have a RMAH...tons of crap I would be more than happy to sell instead of having useless gold.

so i figured out a way to make zombie dogs/pets semi-viable, at least through hell. a combination bad medicine + rabid dogs (to proc bad medicine), jungle fortitude and zombie handler reduces the damage zdogs take by a whopping 40% from passives alone, provided you can keep consistent poison damage on all the mobs (locust swarm is excellent for this, so is the gargantuan runed with big stinker), and also increases the max hp of pets by 20%, making them a whole lot tankier.

int is obviously the main stat in this built, providing damage and all-too-important resistances, which your pets inherit. vit is not important as your pets don't scale with it, so instead i use strength for the armor and dex for the dodge (up to a cap), poison/fire resists for plagued and molten mobs, resists in general and on-hit ccs (stun, freeze, etc).

zombie handler can be subbed out for fierce loyalty if you plan to use hp5 or thorn items, and leeching beasts can also be used on dogs if you can provide enough poison support with locust swarm/acid cloud.

so far my pets are doing fine in hell and can p much tank everything in nightmare, and they may even work in inferno act 1, though i haven't reached there yet. still working out some stuff, will post the finished built when it's done.
Rabid Dogs doesn't proc bad medicine. If you wanna proc bad medicine use Gargantuan with Big Stinker

Technically since you get double screwed on cuts (one to Blizz and another to take it out from blizz into paypal from my understanding, and that's not going into the fact you technically have to report it on taxes), I can't see it being that profitable in the future barring very rare items. But yeah, for now since it's all brand new, definitely be a decent moneymaker if you've been saving lol. Would've been my sole reason for getting it if I'd bought Diablo 3.

Now if only WoW would have a RMAH...tons of crap I would be more than happy to sell instead of having useless gold.
Hard to tell how the market will be long term but the first week has been good to me for 15 hours of "work" i got 5 million gold and this...

Interested to see how long the market holds water before the inevitable saturation point happens with items very rarely leaving the econmy

Hard to tell how the market will be long term but the first week has been good to me for 15 hours of "work" i got 5 million gold and this...

Interested to see how long the market holds water before the inevitable saturation point happens with items very rarely leaving the econmy
Lucky! Is that solo farming or in a group? I've had totally shit luck with standard Cydaea/Azmo runs, which are intensely frustrating when playing solo and dealing with constant spear chucker elites, ugh. It's hard to say what the market is going to be like until commodities and gold trading opens... kinda hope they come out with an ETA on that soon. Also related but I'm a little disgusted that people would actually spend $250 on a single item... but taking advantage of other people's bad decisions is basically the backbone of the RMAH, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)