ASB Awards 2016 - Voting

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As you walk into the very conspicuous golden trophy-shaped building, you look around at the bright decorations. Medallions and plaques cover the walls, and shiny trophies hang from the high ceiling. Most dazzling, however, are crystal-like curtains forming a circle around the middle of the building. As the varies awards flash from the rotating spotlights, you suddenly hear feedback and cover your ears and close your eyes, cringing. When you open them, the curtains are open and a large blue-white something is on the stage with an amiable-looking man in a cowboy hat. Just as the dude starts tapping the mike, the Pokemon, which you suddenly realize is a snorlax, begins to speak.

Hi guys, Snorlax here and I will be your extremely lazy and hungry host for this year’s 2016 ASB Awards!

CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT! What was that?! ‘This year’s 2016’ really? START OVER!

Sheesh! Hi guys, I’m the fat blob blocking the road and welc-

CUT! That’s it, you’re fired. Go back to trolling some poor kid without a Poke Flute already. Alright I’ll host these myself. Welcome to the 2016 ASB Awards, home of the greatest end-year friendly competition in ASB!

Also the only one, so ‘best’ isn’t really comparing to anything.

How have you not fallen asleep from overeating yet? Anyways, this is where the ASB community comes together and compares how they did this year. There are a total of 17 categories this year, ranging from grand things like Best ASBer to fun things such as Nicest User. These categories are split into combat and non-combat, so people who don’t battle often can still have a shot!

There’s 2 pokemon categories, which will both obviously go to me. Right? Right? If you don’t vote for me I’ll fall asleep in front of your driveway–with earplugs on.

Here’s a poffin ok, now go sit quietly in the corner of this round stage. Sorry about him folks, just ignore him. The time period for something to be valid in our contest here is obviously 2016, so unless stated otherwise, only nominate things starting January 1st or later. We will be accepting nominations until the beginning of December, and the fun part—that's voting—starts December 1st! Without further ado, I present to you the 2016 ASB Awards!

Suddenly, pedestals start rising out of the ground. One person was even standing on one, and ends up standing above a trophy. People instantly nominate him for fun, breaking into good-natured laughter.

Combat Categories:

Best New Player – This recognizes an outstanding newbie who has recently joined our community. The only hard requirement is that the nominee joined ASB after September 1st, 2015 and is still currently active. This award looks for the person who has accomplished the most in less than 14 months, whether it be in high-stakes arenas such as gyms or tournaments or in less serious things such like fun flavor battles.

Most Improved – This award supports those who weren’t top-notch last year but have made their way up the ranks. Nominees should have evidence of battles from last year as well as this year, showing noticeable improvement in battling skill. Achievements made this year also help prove that someone has improved, especially if they were attempted last year.

Best Match – This award will recognize a single battle as the “best” battle of 2016. There is no set criterion for this one, so any battle with a quality that might make it the best can be nominated. For example, someone might nominate what they think was the closest and most thrilling match. Or maybe someone will like the biggest beatdown or the craziest hax. Regardless why a battle is nominated though, the reason needs to be clearly explained, showing exactly what makes that match the best battle of 2016.

Best Raider – Zarator’s terrain has its own adventurers, and they deserve attention as well. Besides the group that made the most progress, the Best Raider award might go to a player or a team that won the most number of raids, or came up with the best plan, or got the best artifact. The eventual winner(s) were for sure a raider (pair) who knew what they wanted from the Raid Zone, made a plan to get it, and finally achieved their goal or at least made large steps towards it.

Best TLR player – Who got an amazing legendary? Who beat the hardest TLR? Those are the obvious markers for the best TLR player, but playstyles and items have to be looked at as well. Additionally, planning is an important part of being an excellent TLR player. While some catches might have been made using masterballs, others were the result of careful calculations and meticulous planning to squeak out a victory. The winner of this category is the user adjudged to have been the best overall conqueror of The Legend Run.

Best Singles Player – This and its sister awards are rather self-explanatory. The award will go to the player who made the best plays in singles battles. Maybe someone made the best-thought subs, or maybe abused others’ subs very effectively. Victories against other strong players in this field can also count towards this award. Nominations should have evidence to back them up, including links to well-played battles.

Best Doubles Player – Like the Best Singles Players award, this is a self-explanatory award. It will again go to the player who made the best plays in doubles battles. The best player abused sub interactions effectively, had well-synergized teams, or made extremely synchronized orders. Nominations should have evidence to back them up, including links to well-played battles.

Best Triples Player – This award is slightly unusual, because very few battles are actually played in triples. If not for Team Tournament 2, there definitely would not be enough information for such a category. Nominations for this category will focus on results in TT2, though skill shown in other triples matches can definitely be used to show that a player is the best.

Best ASBer 2016 – The grand finale for the battling categories, this will be judged based on how the user performed in the biggest matches there are. The four heavyweights to look at are Gyms, Tournaments, Raids, and TLRs. Performance in the first two, which are competitions between players, will be the most important determiners for the final trophy of the best ASBer 2016.

Non-combat:

Best Policy Contributor – This award searches for a person who was extremely influential in shaping the mechworks of ASB this year. It recognizes good ideas, positive discussion, sound logic, and most importantly hard work. ASB made no small amount of changes this year, and each and every one of them is both the brainchild and the hard work of our best policy contributors. This awards seeks to find the user who combined all of those into an absolute powerhouse in influencing ASB's future.

Best Referee – This award is to recognize the hardworking players that form the backbone of ASB. The best referee is someone who reffed a large amount, held themselves to quality standards, and most importantly, reffed on time. The people worthy of being nominated all help to keep the ASB machine running, and this award will recognize the best of them.

Nicest User – This is a nomination for the player who is nicest. With nice being such an all-encompassing word, nominees will be varied and the reason should be clearly explained. Some ways for a person might be reffing the most training battles, or taking the most facilities, or having the best sportsmanship. Those three definitely don’t cover the entirety of niceness though, so nominate lots of users for lots of reasons!

Biggest Rise in Fortunes (Pokemon) – This looks for a pokemon who used to be unknown and unused but is now well-respected and used. It might've been a previously undiscovered talent that is now used a lot, or maybe new mechanics greatly improved its viability. Major events that might have triggered such a change include the sig item reworkings and the Greninja nerfs.

Best John – This award looks for a player who is the best john, which is definitely an oxymoron. Thus, the definition of such can vary. Is it the person who johned the most without getting DQ’d? What about the person who literally never johned, or the person who johned the longest time? Nominate someone and tell the world why they are deserving of this oxymoronic title.

Biggest Metagame Influence (user) – Which user changed the metagame the most? This award looks for a player who drew attention to a powerful mon, or who redefined a meta with a new strategy. The award will honor a player who managed to alter the general flow of ASB battles by changing the standards and forcing others to respond and be prepared.

Biggest Metagame Influence (Pokemon) – This awards asks for the pokemon that affects the meta the most. Is there a single pokemon that changed most people's game plans? Or maybe a pokemon is just so powerful that everyone's send-ins need to be ready for it lest the match be completely one-sided. This award will go to a pokemon that everyone has to ask themselves before sending in, "Am I ready to beat that thing?"

So those are our categories. To wrap this up before you all go crazy with your nominations, let's remind ourselves of one very important thing: nominations should always have some form of evidence supporting them, especially when able to source the given match/battle/etc. Nominations start now, and close December 1st. That day is also when voting will begin, and we can finally be rid of some of these trophies.

The trophies aren't edible though... Vote for me anyways!"

Can I spend my nomination to remove Geodude from the list of nominees?

For an actual nomination, I'd have to pick Volkraken (Biggest Rise in Fortunes (Pokemon)).

Volkraken was a Pokemon that was mediocre in most situations when it was released. Volkraken was a product of a more conservative CAP cycle, and fell short in ASB as well as in the CAP metagame. It existed under the radar for a while until Binding Band was deemed useless, and given a revamp. Volk had the right combination of stats, STAB, and just enough of a movepool to not only stack incredible amounts of ongoing damage reliably, but had enough power to deal significant damage with the trapping moves themselves. Volkraken users soon caught on and adopted this new strategy, wreaking brief havoc before the nerf came to Binding Band. Even after this nerf, however, Volkraken still stands out as a notable force, bringing terror into the hearts of many Pokemon that lack powerful enough options to knock it out quickly.

nominating myself for best john
evidence?

EDIT: sniped by texas lmfao

Toon for best ref: he refs just sooooo much. Barely a week after spending 600+ UC, he's already gotten some 300 of that back.
1308+12-3-547-105=665UC
TOTAL: 43UC [901->944]
Toon for nicest user: he refs flashes a lot and is nice to everyone. He's helpful to all on irc etc etc. Also wool.

Ooraloo for nicest user: she helps so many starting users in the mentoring thing: (all of the proof is from the last 3 pages btw) I'll even quote toon,
Ooraloo the mother of Starting 101
starting asb:
Taking kippyster
Hope that you enjoy your time here.
I could be working on college applications but....
Taking Yoshiblaze. I'll be your tutor for Starting ASB.
I'll be your tutor, Nightmayre
Welcome to ASB. ^_^
Welcome to ASB, LordBraixen. I'll be your tutor for Starting ASB.
Taking LightningLord2
PM me if you're still interested in trying out this game.
Hello TheBisharpKing
I'll be your tutor for starting ASB.
r101:
I like new people. Taking Snarguffle. PM me when you've selected a match to ref.
Taking Silver_Lucario42. Tag me when you choose a battle, IRC yada yada.
Taking Earth Traveler for reffing 101. Tag me when you've chosen a battle, or hit me up on IRC if you need help finding one.

Last edited:
Wormadams for Biggest Rise in Fortunes. If I can only nom one, then Wormadam-Sand because it's my bae and because it's the only one without a 4x weakness.
Plant Cloak: Increase Special Attack and Special Defense by two (2) ranks. Boost the BAP of Grass-Typed moves by two (2). Boost the BAP reduction of Overcoat by one (1).
Affects: Wormadam, Burmy
Sandy Cloak: Increase Attack and Defense by two (2) ranks. Boost the BAP of Ground-Typed moves by two (2). Boost the BAP reduction of Overcoat by one (1).
Affects: Wormadam-S, Burmy
Trash Cloak: Increase Defense and Special Defense ranks by two (2). Boost BAP of Steel-Typed moves by two (2) and of Gyro Ball by an extra one (1). Boost the BAP reduction of Overcoat by one (1).
Affects: Wormadam-T, Burmy
fresh wormasand beating a fresh mcamerupt in a 1v1 situation: shhh this might not be the best evidence but it's still a wormasand's proudest moment. (arrow in the quotebox = link for those who don't know)

KO | 15/32
100/5/4/7/4/17 | 90/6/6/2/3/31
Magma Armor/Solid Rock/Anger Point | Anticipation/Overcoat/Sheer Force
Cameruptite | Sandy Cloak
-10% Evasion | -10% Evasion
is a bomb | blueberries can skill swap

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Where is the meanest user prize? >(

Gonna Nominate Birkal for best singles player. I mean, he is the finals of the AOT, he won DYAE, was second place at LCT... it is a no-brainer really. Once he gets over his activity problem, he is just scary o.o.

Sorry if that is not "evidence" enough. May elaborate on it (and on other categories) at some point later if necessary.

Nicest User – This is a nomination for the player who is nicest. With nice being such an all-encompassing word, nominees will be varied and the reason should be clearly explained. Some ways for a person might be reffing the most training battles, or taking the most facilities, or having the best sportsmanship. Those three definitely don’t cover the entirety of niceness though, so nominate lots of users for lots of reasons!
If anyone other than Toon wins this award, I will riot. Honestly.

Toon:
- Refs everything in this forum. Like, by this point it's ridiculous how much ASB depends on him, from Tower matches to Gym matches to Qualifiers. This forum has always relied on "insanity" as its main source of reffing manpower, and right now this translates to "Toon is insane".
- He gives mons away for no other reason than "I'm nice and have too much UC due to the above statement". That's two holiday giveaways that he's done in the past year, by my count, and he doesn't ask for anything in return. People get canonized over less.
- He checks on people who disappear instead of warning them.
- He helps new users on irc find matches and gives them pointers on battling. Also, he routinely looks for flashes but instead ends up volunteering to ref for other people. Basically he's a sweetie-pie on irc too.

Anyways, nomminating the category to be changed to Nicest user: non-Toon edition or there won't be any competition otherwise.

Best New Player – Exclaimer.

This rookie is scary!

Idk if I can put this as evidence, but during this battle I realized that Exclaimer knows more than what an experienced player would know, both wrt battling and reffing. Also put in a lot of effort for someone new to ASB. I was flabberghasted during the battle when I thought to myself: "Dude, this bella is brilliant"

Most Improved – Mowtom.

Who is Mowtom?

I am telling you, this battle taught me who Mowtom is. In a way that no one will ever forget who he is anymore :p
Tbh, I have seen Mowtom's plays last year and this battle gave me a first hand experience on how much he has improved this year. Kudos to you bro!

Best Match – Matezoide vs Jayy for Fairy Gym Badge.

Best 'Match'?

I know that there are lots of battles that I am not aware of, but this one was ridiculously brilliant. Both players played really well and the Ace hand revealed by Mate in the last stages of the battle adds to its credibility. This is probably the best battle I have witnessed and revisited (atleast a couple of times) in a while on how interesting, tense, and on the edge of the seat I was. Truly beautiful display of quality!

Best Raider(s) – Deadfox + Texas

Dragon Twins or Twin Dragons, what do you think?

Deadfox + Texas, Dogfish + Maxim (They chilled out a little this year, maybe next year? ;p), and Frosty + IAR are all great raiders.

If this award was for last year, then I would have picked the guys who bravely ventured into the unknown to give us hope that HoTS raids are beatable. Especially IAR, who was leading from the front with the Flower Paradise win last year.

But for this year I think its the dragon twins, there was some really good all round raiding showcased by Deadfox and Texas. They stormed down Raid bosses like they went snow bowling. Pretty impressed with the way they went about their raids this year. It shows a lot of vision, determination and focus.

Note: I am taking the end time of the raids into account for this one. And the evidenced raid is kind of a consummation of their vision this year.

Best TLR player – Zarator

Zarator is unmatched with respect to planning and vision in ASB (depending on how much time he spends on it).

His capture of Latias late last year and his follow up capture of Deoxys this year, were pretty monumental feats for all of ASB and deserves all the praise for his tireless effort and grand vision.

Best Singles Player – Birkal

Caw!

The Caw King Birkal, rocks baby!

Someone who can consistently beat up top tier players in this format with varied team structure (while finding the balls to marry the same year) deserves this award. vs Frosty in DYAE, vs Mowtom in DYAE. also his only major tourney loss going to Texas in LCT, speaks volumes about his skill in this format.

Best Doubles Player – Dogfish44

'4.4'

I would like to give this to Dogfish every year just because he drives the pinnacle of this format from the front.

But since the nomination is evidence based (and I still remember deadFrost from ASBuddies), and Frosty is running the Ice Gym in this Format (which is not an easy task). Its a close call between the two.

Although DF44's wins in Team Tournament this year shows you that quality players of the doubles format give him a lot of respect (or are shit scared of him) in this format. Which tilts the scale, for me, towards DF for this award.

Best Triples Player – Frosty

Aerodactyl knows no bounds.

This for me (personally) is a close call between Frosty and Exclaimer.

From the battle I linked for Exclaimer in the Best new player, you can see how good he is in that format. Although Frosty won against quality opposition in the TT2 (no questions asked), and has vastly greater experience over Exclaimer. So I would give it to Frosty for proving it to everyone that he is the Triples Thunder. Also don't forget that he led the Fire Gym in triples +_+

Best ASBer 2016 – Frosty

The Pressure is real!

If there is one all round performer in all formats this year, then I can think of no one but Frosty.
Gyms, Raids, Tournaments, TLRs; you name it, and he has won it (or was pretty close to a win).

If Frosty was a mon, I think his ability would be Pressure.

Which by extension means that he is legendary!

He scares the shit out of people as soon as he enters a tournament or knocks at your gym door or you try to think of getting the Ice Gym Badge or you want to ref his TLR or his Roleplay or anything for that matter.

We call this in our regional language as 'Gethu' (sorry couldn't find a suitable link). Which is the feeling you get when observing a winner.

Aka, you don't want to mess with this guy, unless you are ready to go the distance with him.

Last edited:
If anyone other than Toon wins this award, I will riot. Honestly.

Toon:
- Refs everything in this forum. Like, by this point it's ridiculous how much ASB depends on him, from Tower matches to Gym matches to Qualifiers. This forum has always relied on "insanity" as its main source of reffing manpower, and right now this translates to "Toon is insane".
- He gives mons away for no other reason than "I'm nice and have too much UC due to the above statement". That's two holiday giveaways that he's done in the past year, by my count, and he doesn't ask for anything in return. People get canonized over less.
- He checks on people who disappear instead of warning them.
- He helps new users on irc find matches and gives them pointers on battling. Also, he routinely looks for flashes but instead ends up volunteering to ref for other people. Basically he's a sweetie-pie on irc too.

Anyways, nomminating the category to be changed to Nicest user: non-Toon edition or there won't be any competition otherwise.
Disagree to Nicest user: non-Toon edition :p

Best Policy Contributor – I am too naive wrt Policy, but I think Frosty did some cool stuff.
Lazy for evidence searching yo!

Best Referee – Toonie Toonie and more Toons (evidence is evident)

Nicest User – Toonie Toonie and more Toons (evidence is evident)

<3 Toonie

Biggest Rise in Fortunes (Pokemon) – I second the Volkraken nomination. (evidence is evident)

Too many good evidences including Mate vs Jayy (linked in prior post)

Best John – Dogfish and Frosty

These guys do a lot of johning, but doesn't get called out on their johning in as much. So they are the best since they can john the title of 'Best John' in itself.

Biggest Metagame Influence (user)

Not sure as I couldn't follow a lot of games.

Biggest Metagame Influence (Pokemon)

Not sure too, sowwy

Okay here we go

Best New Player: JJayyfeather
Yeah, this pains me as much as anyone else. But in terms of contribution to the game and community, jayy has been second to none among new users. First of all, he was the main reffing staff of ASB for a few months this year, which is extremely important in a game as dependent on ref activity as ASB. He's been very successful in Gym battles, taking down the Dragon, Fighting, and Ghost gyms and taking over the Fairy gym from one of the most successful leaders in ASB history (and doing a relatively decent job at it). His tournament results aren't much to speak of, but to the best of my knowledge none of his competition has terribly impressive runs either. He did make it to the LCT semifinals, but that was mostly through forfeits so don't take him seriously when he says he's a tournament semifinalist k? He had some pretty significant success in raids with Gale (including Tidefury Strand HM), although he was mostly carried by Gale. He also beat Mysterious Cove, which is...not terribly difficult but harder than it sounds. Although he may not be as good as he makes himself out to be, jayy's resume is too significant and extensive for him to not take home this award.

Most Improved: zarator
Okay so it must be said that I've been making fun of zarator for being bad in tournament since ASB launched and he got bopped by Kaxtar in the first round of our very first tournament. He has been underperforming in tournaments basically since the dawn of time; see this full-Pokemon loss against Rainman in LLAMA, losing to Leethoof in LLAMA by neglecting to teach his Jirachi Body Slam, this calculated defeat to tavok in SICK, and this loss to Engineer Pikachu in BoB...and this is only going back to 2014. But this year he's pulled himself together and put up some extremely impressive battling performances, and has quietly been one of the best and most consistent tournament performers outside of ASB's very top tier. He hammered his way to a third-place finish in DYAE with an extremely impressive win over IAR, only to be haxed out by Mowtom in Loser's Finals, and is still alive deep into AOT. He has also put up some extremely impressive fights against strong opponents, going down to the wire against Texas, the eventual winner of LCT, and nearly taking down Gale, one of the best players in the game today, in AOT. He's also done well in gym battles, taking down Maxim and deadfox, and continuing to make his own gym one of the more annoying gyms in ASB to take down. Zarator has gone from a meme to a dangerous threat this year, which I believe makes him deserving of this award. I still beat him in AOT though

Best Raider: dogfish44 and Maxim
What is there to say about Maxfish? They've been the steadiest, most consistent, and best geared raid team since the raid zone launched, and since FrostIAR disbanded have been pushing new content better than anyone else. The only reason they aren't runaway favorites for this award is because...well...they haven't really done a whole lot this year. They accomplished the extremely impressive feat of taking down Necturna HM, but other than that they've really just been doing sidequests. Even so, if you told me to pick one raid team to beat Eusine HM or the human race would go extinct, I would jump off a bridge because Eusine HM is impossible pick Maxfish without a doubt.

Best Raider: deadfox081 and Texas Cloverleaf
You want a raid team that has actually done stuff this year, you say? Look no further. deadTex (that's really not a very catchy name) has torn through the Gygax quest, one of the most infamously difficult and involved quest lines in raiding, this year. Not only is the Gygax quest line very difficult, involving several grueling fights with the Regis, a face-off with the Light type, and the extreme annoyance that is CPHM, it takes a really really long time. DeadTex defeating all three raids in this quest line this year is easily the most impressive feat accomplished by any raid team this year. If you're looking for a team that made huge strides in the raid zone this year, look no further.

Best TLR Player: zarator
Best TLR player is a bit tough to nominate for just one year. This is because TLRs take literally ages, meaning that generally players only have time for one successful TLR in a year. That said, zarator's run of Drifting Nomadic Augur is one of the most impressive TLRs I have ever seen. The good thing about TLR data being open source is that you can plan for them very precisely. Although there have been some other excellent TLRs this year, they were generally the result of players scrambling and scrapping to scrape out a victory. Zarator absolutely rolled over DNA, finishing with all of his Pokemon over half HP and never really looking like he was in any danger of failure. And although it just misses the cutoff to be considered for this year, his destruction of The Planet's Fury, one of the hardest TLRs ASB has to offer, is one of the cleanest runs in ASB history. Nobody plans and executes TLRs as cleanly as zarator, and that's why he deserves to take home this award.

Best Singles Player: Birkal
As Birkal has already been nominated pretty heavily for this award, I won't take much time on it. Birkal is the best singles player in the game when he's on form and on time. He gets the matchups he wants, writes impeccable orders, and almost never messes up in any significant way. Caw.

Best Doubles Player: dogfish44
Any format besides singles is naturally going to have a pretty small sample size in ASB. Most of our tournaments and gyms are singles, making doubles much rarer. That said, puppylover66 has to be the best player in our bigger format (you will never convince me triples is a legitimate format). He fired his team to a TT2 victory from the doubles position, with some dominating wins over tough competition (here and here). He also runs the scariest gym in ASB in a doubles format, cutting through challengers like a hot knife through butter. There's a quote that says: "Talent hits a target hard work cannot hit. Genius hits a target hard work cannot see." Although describing DF as a genius might be a wee bit of hyperbole (he is Welsh after all), he sees strategies and combos in doubles that nobody else does. For me, that makes him a shoo-in for this award.

Best ASBer 2016: Birkal
With Frosty and Elevator Music, ASB's two titans, taking on reduced competitive roles this year, Birkal rose to fill their place. He won BoB, but other than that has never really been seen as one of ASB's true elite...until this year. Birkal began the year by winning DYAE, taking down zarator, VirajVora, Mowtom, and Frosty (granted there were a bunch of forfeits, but he was in pretty dominating positions every time). He then steamrolled to the final of LCT, dropping YAS (in one of the best battles of the year), Mowtom, dogfish44, and was on the verge of defeating Matezoide before DQ struck. As if that wasn't enough, he currently sits in Winner's Finals of AOT after beating Texas Cloverleaf (who he will be fighting in WFs funnily enough), IAR (he was going to win probably), and taking an absolute nail-biter against Gale. He's had an excellent year in terms of gym performances, defending his super weird Fighting gym against many challengers. He's also one of the only people to defeat Drifting Nomadic Augur, and is the only one so far to get a Mewtwonite from it (although who else would want one?) Birkal has been omnipresent in the highest levels of ASB competition this year, making him a very strong candidate for this award.

Best ASBer 2016: Texas Cloverleaf
Texas has always been known as a strong battlers, but has never quite been able to put it together and go all the way. This year, he's done that and then some. Texas tore through LCT, beating zarator, Glacier Knight, YAS, Matezoide (kinda), and Birkal to take a very impressive victory. He also sits in Winner's Finals of AOT after winning against AOPSUser, Mowtom, tavok, and Frosty Texas also went on a strong run of gym battles this year, winning the Electric, Normal, and Fire badges. He's also had a ton of raiding success with deadfox (as covered above). Texas has excelled in ASB competition this year, making him another strong candidate for this award.

Best Policy Contributor: ZhengTann
For the first year in a while, we actually had a pretty active base of users doing policy stuff, including some newer users (special shoutouts to FMD for coming in and getting stuff done). However, ZT was certainly the beating heart of the whole operation. He opened many a policy topic this year, but his real strength lay in his constant presence and passion. Look at almost any thread in the policy subforum, and ZT will more than likely be there, offering strong opinions with well thought out reasoning. He also takes care of the council voting procedure, which can't be looked past because seriously who the hell knows how IRV works. Without ZhengTann, many of our most productive policy discussions and decisions this year would never have been pushed through.

Best Policy Contributor: Its_A_Random
It should first be established that although IAR has not been quite as omnipresent as some other users, he has tackled many of the most difficult policy issues facing ASB this year, such as Greninja, anti-grinding measures, and approvals. These are all extremely important topics that have fundamentally changed ASB. However, the main reason why IAR deserves a shot at this award is because he is spearheading the transition to Gen 7. Generational transitions are an absolutely enormous amount of work, and IAR has taken on the task of updating data, starting discussions about stuff that translates weirdly to ASB, making policy calls on controversial topics, and generally making sure ASB transitions smoothly to the next generation. This work absolutely cannot be understated, and makes IAR a prime contender for this award.

Best Referee: Toon
Referees keep ASB running. They allow tournaments to finish, gym battles to take place, RPs to exist, and users to grind up their Pokemon with flashes. In the last year, nobody has done more for ASB in this area than Toon. He's probably responsible for half the trained Pokemon in ASB at this point with all the flashes he's reffed, and will gladly take any tournament or gym battle put up for reffing. Fun fact: at the time of writing, Toon created fully 19 out of the 50 threads on the front page of ASB. This just speaks to the dedication Toon has put into keeping this game running. Refs are the lifeblood of this game, and nobody exemplifies that more than Toon.

Nicest User: Toon
Everyone else has basically covered this. /me cuddles bunbuns.

Biggest Rise in Fortunes (Pokemon): Deoxys
So first, it should be made clear that nobody has really had a Deoxys before around the middle of last year, let alone used it. But I firmly believe that Deoxys' meteoric (no pun intended) rise to the top of the ASB metagame makes it worthy of this award. At the beginning of the year, Deoxys was generally seen as more of a trophy legendary than anything; cool, maybe usable in some stuff, but nowhere near a top-tier competitive Pokemon. Nobody was even quite sure what its best Forme was. Then Frosty started bringing it to serious battles...and slowly but surely we all started to realize that Deoxys-D is a nasty opponent that's almost impossible to trade evenly with. Frosty used it heavily in his AOT run (before he stopped caring), employing its massive bulk and deep bag of tricks to bamboozle phoenix, me, dogfish44, and Texas. By now, everyone knows Deoxys is a premier threat in ASB, and one that you need a plan for dealing with. Deoxys' rise from barely known to one of the absolute best Pokemon in ASB makes it clearly deserving of this award.

Best John: S0L1D G0LD
Gold is...a john. He almost never orders in anything on time, seems to always be on LoA so he can't be DQ'd, and generally slows down proceedings in whatever he participates in. See his battle against me in AOT for an example. What makes Gold truly the best john, however, is that it never quite overtakes him. He gets DQ'd occasionally, sure, but more often than not whatever he is in gets finished-just at half the speed it should. He's also pretty damn good at ASB when he takes a break from johning. I believe that this combination of his extreme johnness with his general competency make him what every john in ASB should strive towards.

Best John: Stratos
Stratos is easily the most effective john of 2016. Going into TT2, team Texsmashpwn, composed of me, Stratos, and Texas Cloverleaf, was looking good. Texas has been one of the best players in ASB all year, Stratos is probably the second best doubles player in ASB history (behind dogfish), and I'm...competent, I suppose. In the middle of Round 1, however, something happened that none of us could have forseen. Stratos got permabanned. This basically sucked the life out of our team. Although we were able to find a doubles replacement for Round 2, our team spirit and cohesion was gone and we went out tamely to Team Rocket. Stratos should be considered for this award because he knocked his own team out of a tournament, going above and beyond normal levels of johning.

Biggest Metagame Influence (user): Frosty
You thought I wasn't going to nominate Frosty for anything? Think again. Although his drastically reduced activity level this year makes him tougher to nominate (if we did these last year I would have nominated him for everything), whenever he played the game moved around him. As discussed above, he's responsible for bringing Deoxys into the spotlight and giving everyone a taste of its power. He single handedly got Binding Band nerfed while also bringing Volkraken into the spotlight. Any time Frosty pulled out a new Pokemon or item, it instantly became a staple of the ASB meta. ASB's meta would be unrecognizable without Frosty leading the way.

Biggest Metagame Influence (Pokemon): Mega Gardevoir
What is there to say about Mega Gardevoir? It's not a terribly complicated Pokemon. Sure, it has some tricks, but it's largely the one of the biggest neutral matchups bullies in all of ASB. Send it in on anything besides a Steel-type and click STAB moves and watch your opponents crumble. Mega Garde is such an omnipresent threat in ASB that it single-handedly invalidates many Pokemon, particularly Fighting-types, from being competitively viable. Almost all of the best players in ASB have a Mega Gardevoir, making it something that must always be game-planned around. If there's one Pokemon that must always be considered when planning a team, it's Mega Gardevoir.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Best Raider: FrostIAR
I'd actually like to deviate from MaxFish and TexFox. FrostIAR deserves the nomination for having the fastest progression, and that coming from the formation of the duo very late into the Raid scene. Remember that compared to the other two, FrostIAR came to be late in 2015, having split off with each of their respective partners due to unavoidable circumstances. Before 2015, they've never even made it into the Regis Raid, and now already they're poised to open up the next expansion while their contenders lagged behind due to "wanting to complete the HM experience" pride. I personally think that the Raid scene has stagnated too long due to lack of new content, so Raiders who commit to that race - while being so far behind at this point last year, to boot - deserves my nomination.

Best Policy Contributor: Its_A_Random
Agreeing with Smash. Especially the part where he is spearheading - no, he is solo-ing the transition into Gen 7. The work he put in during the past weeks into this project alone puts him above and beyond any contender to the award, namely myself, Frosty, Texas, FMD, Fort.

Best John: ZhengTann
I'd like to nominate myself for this award because I've never johned prior to 2016. Now I john about 5 times beyond DQ in all of my matches. For such a fall from grace, surely at least this is nomination-worthy?

Last edited:
Best Doubles Player – Like the Best Singles Players award, this is a self-explanatory award. It will again go to the player who made the best plays in doubles battles. The best player abused sub interactions effectively, had well-synergized teams, or made extremely synchronized orders. Nominations should have evidence to back them up, including links to well-played battles.
Can I nominate Dogfish44 for this award solely on the grounds that he won me a goddamn Yveltal you beautiful bastard you
Best Triples Player – This award is slightly unusual, because very few battles are actually played in triples. If not for Team Tournament 2, there definitely would not be enough information for such a category. Nominations for this category will focus on results in TT2, though skill shown in other triples matches can definitely be used to show that a player is the best.
See the above but wrt Maxim . I feel there's enough arguments for woof woof already in this thread so I will just argue for Max. Both these guys went undefeated in Team Tour, barring a monumental amount of hax on Maxim's second match. Also keep in mind that he beat some very good battlers along the way, including deadfox (again, except for him missing like a 98% chance) and the most accomplished triples battler in ASB, Frosty. The sample size for triples is ridiculously small so three battles is pretty good.

Also they carried me to a legend so ye

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Best John: JJayyFeather
What really makes Jayy the best john in my eyes is the incredible consistency at which he johns. When he's reffing something he wants to, his reffing speed is impressive, but when he refs something he doesn't want to, he regularly goes over DQ. A john who can keep track of everything else and let a select few battles slip off the front page, yet doesn't ask for a subref, is a very impressive one.

Nicest User:

Best Ref:

Biggest Metagame Influence:
Toon are ruining the ref metagame

Idk battles so yeah none of that stuff for me

Best Match – This award will recognize a single battle as the “best” battle of 2016. There is no set criterion for this one, so any battle with a quality that might make it the best can be nominated. For example, someone might nominate what they think was the closest and most thrilling match. Or maybe someone will like the biggest beatdown or the craziest hax. Regardless why a battle is nominated though, the reason needs to be clearly explained, showing exactly what makes that match the best battle of 2016.
I don't read through that many matches anymore, so I can only speak for myself, but the first one that popped to mind was this:
[LCT Round 1] YellowAdminSilver vs. Birkal
Late post but w/e, I had to do this eventually since I was summoned.Echoing Birkal 100%. This was the most fun I've had in competitive ASB, and that match you posted has to be the most exciting one I've had, too. It was full of twists and turns, good plays and terrible plays, and it was a real challenge the whole way. Not even positive matchups were safe, as exemplified with Bellsprout on Chinchou and Misdreavous on Abra. Also, it showcased some great mons that were terribly underused in Chimchar, Chinchou and Bellsprout working to great effect, and in the end it all came down to turn order, a bit of wasted EN here or there and a razor-thin margin of 6HP. Long story short, I'm just C/P'ing this post onto the ASB Awards noms.

Basically I've always wanted a second LC Tournament ._.

I want to nominate ooraloo for best newbie, because in the only competitive match they played after gitting gud, she beat jayy. (Das fairy gym). He is also the main other candidate for this award. She is a great battler in general and irc consensus seems to agree she's better, so in this combat cat oora > jayy because battling skill should be paramount in a combat category.
Jayy participates in more things, so his star shines very bright, but being more active doesn't make him a a better battler.

p.s. ily jayy <333333333333333333333
/me wools jjayyfatters

Nicest User - Toon:
Let's break it down:
- Reffed a ton of my flashes when my Pokemon needed training
- Reffing Me VS PTPlatinum #2 made the roleplay aspect of it even better and he (along with PTPlatinum and RNG) made it the most fun battle I've had so far
- Does the service of reffing a ton for everybody (He easily has over 1000 UC, and I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of it is from reffing alone)
- He's generally a very, very nice guy, and it appears a lot of people agree.

VS PTPlatinum #1
VS AGN (Where is he, anyway?)
VS jayy
VS PTPlatinum - The real first battle
Battle Hall #1
Santalune Forest Gauntlet

6/16 of all the things I've done in ASB, which is a fairly large chunk. Also add in him battling me one or twice, too

Nicest User - ooraloo
Toon said:
Ooraloo the mother of Starting 101
That^ and the fact that she decided to tutor me when she had college apps to do AND dealt with my sometimes derpy-ness for a month, which would've driven me insane. It's the same way I feel about most teachers, they're able to keep a mostly positive attitude in situations that would make me rip my hair out. I can really admire that. Plus, taking all of the other rookies under her wing at the same time makes it even better.

There are way too many people who I want to vote for Nicest User, but I don't think voting for 5+ people is allowed, so....

Best John - It's Ya Boi Yoshiblaze
I went almost a week over DQ, then won by DQ... That qualifies, right? Also, went over DQ twice whilst reffing, but I had a good reason for one of those.

Proof (almost a week over DQ)

Also, went over DQ twice whilst reffing, but I had a good reason for one of those.
only twice? take a look at some of my reffings, or jayy's reffings ;P
and don't you say you don't go over dq on reffings jayy I can bet that almost everyone has tagged you at least twice for a reffing

Matezoide for biggest metagame influence because hipster mons have seen a rise in attention lately. Especially primeape.

Acidphoenix for biggest metagame influence because sub revisions.

Greninja for biggest metagame influence because it was more than 50% of the reason we had to revise subs. And rare candy. The other 60% was a flaming bird of life that had too many hydrogen ions.
The math works. I swear.

Kecleon for rise in fortunes, because it finally saw prominence outside of Birkal. Before, greninja was the main protein monster.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am now opening the voting stag for the Awards, these will last approximately one week by public vote. Nominations are now closed. See the OP for category descriptions when voting.

Combat Categories:

Best New Player
Exclaimer
jayy
ooraloo

Most Improved
Mowtom
zarator

Best Match
Matezoide vs. jayy for Fairy Gym badge
[LCT Round 1] YellowAdminSilver vs. Birkal

Best Raider
deadfox081+Texas Cloverleaf - raid campaign concluding with Regigigas defeat
dogfish44+Maxim - defeated Necturna HM
Frosty+Its_A_Random

Best TLR player
zarator - captured Deoxys and Latios

Best Singles Player
Birkal
Frosty
Texas Cloverleaf

Best Doubles Player
Dogfish44

Best Triples Player
Frosty

Best ASBer 2016
Birkal - won DYAE, LCT finalist, AOT winner's finalist, conquorer of Drifting Nomadic Augur, defender of Fighting gym
Frosty - placed well in tournaments, successfully defended Ice gym, almost completed the badge set
Texas Cloverleaf - won LCT, AOT winner's finalist, won Electric, Normal, Fire badge, defeated Regigigas in raid

Non-combat:

Best Policy Contributor
Frosty
Its_A_Random
Zhengtann

Best Referee
Exclaimer
jayy
Toon

Nicest User
Toon
ooraloo

Biggest Rise in Fortunes (Pokemon)
Deoxys
Kecleon
Volkraken
Wormadam

Best John
Dogfish44
Frosty
Geodude6
jayy
S0L1D G0LD
Stratos
Yoshiblaze
ZhengTann

Biggest Metagame Influence (user)
acidphoenix
Frosty
Matezoide

Biggest Metagame Influence (Pokemon)
Deoxys
Greninja
Mega Gardevoir

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)