ASB Little Cup Tournament: Finals

ASB Little Cup Tournament
Hosted by: deadfox081
Co-hosted by: Dogfish44

Battle Rules

3v3 Singles
ASB Arena
Strict 72h Disqualification. One warning per player. After the warning is used (any tag after DQ interval is passed will be counted as warning), the Player has one hour to post (with full orders/pokemon, just saying "orders coming watch this space" doesn't suffice) after DQ is called to rescind it. If one hour passes, the player is DQ'd regardless of the ref posting or not. User calling DQ must tag DQ'd player. Referees please tag the combatants when you have finished your reffing. Players, if you know you're going to be away you better post a Leave of Absence BEFORE you leave, or give a very good reason in case of an emergency.
Infinite Recoveries/Chills per Pokémon.
Three Substitutions per player excluding KO Substitutions.
Switch = OK
Abilities = ALL
Items = ON
Sendout = coinflip

So the matches for the Finals are as follows:

Birkal vs Texas Cloverleaf
THREAD: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lct-finals-birkal-vs-texas-cloverleaf.3582954/
REF: deadfox081
RESULT: Texas Cloverleaf via KO

Birkal vs Matezoide
THREAD: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lct-finals-bikal-vs-matezoide.3582952/
RESULT: Birkal via Forfeit

Matezoide vs Texas Cloverleaf
THREAD: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lct-finals-matezoide-vs-texas-cloverleaf.3582953/
RESULT: Texas Cloverleaf via Forfeit

Okay guys, the finals are upon us. I'll be taking care of all three of the matches myself. You may send a different team of 3 to each of your matches if you wish, just ensure both meet the rules for sending same as all prior matches. The three of you will be ranked first by win/loss and if another method is used to split then I will use a committee to determine who played better within the finals. But basically, win both of your matches and then you won't have to worry about that.

On another note, while there are guidelines in not having tournament finals ended via DQ I would not suggest using this as a backing to test me. These matches should be your highest priority and I will do what I need to do to reward those paying it the proper attention.

Best of luck to the three of you!

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't think I've fought either of these users in a serious battle. Looking forward to the matches!

All three of these users are sick nasty but I really would have liked to see Dogfish44 in the top 3 here, I think his team is badass and he's played exceptionally well for the vast majority of this tournament. Mad props to Birkal for knocking him off though.

Okay well I suppose that is a wrap.

Congratulations to Texas Cloverleaf for taking out first place in the ASB Little Cup Tournament. I'd have to say you had what looked like one of the stronger teams on paper at the start of the tournament, at least those not named Munchlax. You can now claim your prize of one Kyurem.

Congratulations also to Birkal for his second place finish. You took a rather eclectic bunch of Pokemon almost all the way, but that is in your typical style. Please enjoy your prize of one of Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus and a Reveal Glass to add to your ever growing collection of legends. Please post here to confirm which you will be taking.

Finally both congratulations and comiserations to Matezoide for unfortunately bring unable to finish out the finals. Still quite an achievement to have made it that far. Please enjoy your prize of a member of your LC team automatically with maxed EC and fully evolved, plus 30 MC for it. Please post here confirming which mon you will be taking home, if indeed you choose to claim this prize.

I won't go into great detail for any sort of a hosts report, but I have to say this has certainly given me a bit of an insight into what it takes to run a tournament. Of particular note are the pros and cons related to balancing a tournament, especially when rental Pokemon are involved. I'll say that by no means was the method I chose here perfect but I don't think its deficiencies affected any of the results. Thanks mostly to almost everyone having a Timburr.

Lastly a big thanks to everyone who participated in this tournament as both a player and referee. The tournament ran smoothly and quickly as evidenced by the fact that the expected length of 464 days was in no way necessary and the tournament has been completed start to finish in 336 days. (Oh and that means Dogfish44 and I both get to claim 82 UC for doing this).

That's about all I've got. Congratulations again to the three finalists as well as everyone who played in LCT. Please use this thread now for congratulations and any feedback for me.

This was a fun tournament, unfortunately I had too much IRL stuff in the way to be able to finish my participation in it properly but it was definitely a cool format and you were a great host (read: kicked everyone in the pants properly to keep everything moving), nice work~

I can only hope that ASB, but Texas Cloverleaf and Birkal in special, can forgive me. I assure you all, i did everything in my power to order properly and on time, but it was simply not a possibility.

Nonethless, i had a great time in the tournament, and would like to thank everyone for providing us with such enjoyable matches, as well as deadfox081 Dogfish44 for their wonderful job at making everything run smoothly.

And of course, congratulations to Texas and Birkal for their well deserved first and second places. Even if we couldnt end, i enjoyed the part of the match we could do, and i hope both of you felt the same. I have no illusions of having the upperhand in either of them, at least, so i do not believe my forfeiting changed the end results, which makes for a decent consolation, at least for me.

For my pokemon, i will get the Gastly, but i can not make the profile right now. Once it is more stable, i shall make the claim.

Also Birkal is getting the worst Genie ewww

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
yah he's right

On a more serious note, this was definitely one of our better tournaments. Kudos to you, deadfox. Although, I will say that I think the best tourney of 2016 (and potentially the gen) was DYAE, because of the mechanic where trainers could really juice up their team in between rounds. But LCT was fairly balanced and you did a commendable job making the initial banlists. 40 moves was the perfect amount, but I could see inflating it a touch more to 45 or even 50. Finally, the item limitation was a glint of genius, which allowed for a lot of thinking in how you built your team.

My only gripe would be how long the tournament was. Tournament staff, I urge you to strongly consider making four rounds the standard for tournaments. Something that goes five or six (heavens forbid seven) just feels stale. I know that tournament creators have the best interests of the community at heart with all of these round robins, but it gets to be frustrating by the finals. Although killing off that round robin gives people less matches to play in, it gives them more in the long run due to allowing more tournaments that are done quickly. Regardless, I had a lot of fun with this. I will never forget battling YellowAdminSilver, and I had to calculate orders against this using a napkin while stranded in an airport in New York.

Texas Cloverleaf you put up a great fight; sorry I couldn't be more motivated after all of the hax (that you rightfully got due to some smart maximizing of it). You deserve the win and I look forward to AOT finals!

Late post but w/e, I had to do this eventually since I was summoned.
Regardless, I had a lot of fun with this. I will never forget battling YellowAdminSilver, and I had to calculate orders against this using a napkin while stranded in an airport in New York.
Echoing Birkal 100%. This was the most fun I've had in competitive ASB, and that match you posted has to be the most exciting one I've had, too. It was full of twists and turns, good plays and terrible plays, and it was a real challenge the whole way. Not even positive matchups were safe, as exemplified with Bellsprout on Chinchou and Misdreavous on Abra. Also, it showcased some great mons that were terribly underused in Chimchar, Chinchou and Bellsprout working to great effect, and in the end it all came down to turn order, a bit of wasted EN here or there and a razor-thin margin of 6HP. Long story short, I'm just C/P'ing this post onto the ASB Awards noms.

Basically I've always wanted a second LC Tournament ._.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)